Home Crowd Sizes

Wests Tigers Discussion
steve-o

Re: Home Crowd Sizes

Post by steve-o » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:52 am

Telltails, I agree that it is not ideal - I certainly have reservations about playing in Parramatta due to the points you have raised. However I think it is the best option for the next couple of years until ANZ is redone. The new ANZ design will supposedly make it so that even smaller crowds will have more of an atmosphere, and obviously fans will be closer to the action with a rectangular field.

What we should not do is continue to be nomads with 5 different home grounds.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:55 am

Should really be aiming for a 10/1/1 split with one of the larger grounds.

As much as I don't like the idea of sharing a ground WSS makes good sense as it's somewhere between, sits in Western Sydney and is still somewhat close to the backer that pays the bills in Ashfield.

10 at ANZ/WSS
1 at LO, should be negotiated as a Souths game, or Easts if we don't get a home game against Souths.
1 at CSS, should be negotiated as a Manly game, or St. George if we don't get a home game against Manly.

Should be still trying to keep some of the history alive of the former clubs through their respective venues. One game is enough IMO.

We should really be looking to try to make Liverpool or Fairfield our home long term though.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:21 am

steve-o wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:52 am
Telltails, I agree that it is not ideal - I certainly have reservations about playing in Parramatta due to the points you have raised. However I think it is the best option for the next couple of years until ANZ is redone. The new ANZ design will supposedly make it so that even smaller crowds will have more of an atmosphere, and obviously fans will be closer to the action with a rectangular field.

I dont know when ANZ will be reworked but feel its a much better fit for us, apart from having our own modern facility.
Going forward realise we need to base ourselves somewhere, just not at a ground that is clearly home to Parramatta.
As an interim I will cop it, but as a long term proposition cant accept that it does anything toward strengthening our identity, just makes us easier to dispose of.
The ground itself looks fantastic so no problem with that.

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:18 am

Telltails wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:21 am
steve-o wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:52 am

I dont know when ANZ will be reworked but feel its a much better fit for us, apart from having our own modern facility.
Going forward realise we need to base ourselves somewhere, just not at a ground that is clearly home to Parramatta.
As an interim I will cop it, but as a long term proposition cant accept that it does anything toward strengthening our identity, just makes us easier to dispose of.
The ground itself looks fantastic so no problem with that.
Anz is located right in the Parramattas fan base the whole area is full of Parra supporters that is fact it is in the Parramatta council area for god sake ! ,I just do not understand the reasoning why one club owns the new stadium ...it is the tax payers of NSW that own it .what you say about it being a certain clubs stadium was correct in the era before the eighties when there were three grades on game day ...these days you get one game and your are out of there it is the in and out culture .WSS represents who ever will be at home on game day that’s it nothing more nothing less .

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:20 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:28 am
Telltails wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:03 am
Snake wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 7:55 am
Let’s talk about Fan base ...in fact the WSS is situated smack in the middle of the Tigers fan bases ...Inner city ..north west Sydney ...south west Sydney ...western Sydney .The clubs fan base is the entire Sydney basin as the ridiculous ground situation proves .
The access is not a problem, but there is never ever going to be any mistake about who the community support is associated with within that area. Its situated beside its leagues club and business district - it is and always will be aligned with Parramatta.
And why I appreciate the facility will be great to play at, it is not ideal for our identity as a home ground when it will always stink of Parramatta, and rightly so.
One home ground is the ideal absolutely agree, but our club will only ever be considered as visitors at what will be referred to as Parra Stadium and I cant see how that is going to strengthen our identity in some ways it just confuses it. If it was a neutral ground that both teams shared totally different situation but it is a rebuild of Parramatta stadium no matter what they rename it.
May be considered a negative view but just my opinion. I can appreciate that it is a very difficult decision for the club to committ to.
I think we are in the fortunate position that we have fans all over the Sydney metro area. Clubs like Cronulla and Manly are restricted to one little area and could be their downfall eventuallly.We actually have the pulling power to become a powerhouse.
Growing up and living in the Parra, Hills and Wenty areas I can tell you we have a large supporter base in that area.
I fail to see how ANZ stadium is less in the middle of Sydney than New Parramatta stadium is.

I agree with TT - it would be a very hard pill to swallow, walking to home games through the heartland of the Parramatta club, with Parra businesses, Parra CBD, Parra Leagues around the corner and on the tail-end of the Parramatta river.

At least Homebush is in somewhat neutral ground (actually technically falls within the Balmain JR catchment).

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:45 am

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:20 am
gallagher wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:28 am
Telltails wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:03 am
Snake wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 7:55 am
Let’s talk about Fan base ...in fact the WSS is situated smack in the middle of the Tigers fan bases ...Inner city ..north west Sydney ...south west Sydney ...western Sydney .The clubs fan base is the entire Sydney basin as the ridiculous ground situation proves .
The access is not a problem, but there is never ever going to be any mistake about who the community support is associated with within that area. Its situated beside its leagues club and business district - it is and always will be aligned with Parramatta.
And why I appreciate the facility will be great to play at, it is not ideal for our identity as a home ground when it will always stink of Parramatta, and rightly so.
One home ground is the ideal absolutely agree, but our club will only ever be considered as visitors at what will be referred to as Parra Stadium and I cant see how that is going to strengthen our identity in some ways it just confuses it. If it was a neutral ground that both teams shared totally different situation but it is a rebuild of Parramatta stadium no matter what they rename it.
May be considered a negative view but just my opinion. I can appreciate that it is a very difficult decision for the club to committ to.
I think we are in the fortunate position that we have fans all over the Sydney metro area. Clubs like Cronulla and Manly are restricted to one little area and could be their downfall eventuallly.We actually have the pulling power to become a powerhouse.
Growing up and living in the Parra, Hills and Wenty areas I can tell you we have a large supporter base in that area.
I fail to see how ANZ stadium is less in the middle of Sydney than New Parramatta stadium is.

I agree with TT - it would be a very hard pill to swallow, walking to home games through the heartland of the Parramatta club, with Parra businesses, Parra CBD, Parra Leagues around the corner and on the tail-end of the Parramatta river.

At least Homebush is in somewhat neutral ground (actually technically falls within the Balmain JR catchment).

We could play out of any staduim in Sydney and attract a crowd if we are winning no problem.
But when you are talking about identity and Parra Stadium - there is only one NRL side that identifies with that stadium and it isnt us and never will be. For that reason it cant be a long term solution IMO.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 12:53 pm

I believe the stadium will not be skewed towards the Eels.

i.e. Western Sydney Stadium and not Parramatta Stadium - at least until it coverts to a corporate name.

No Mick Cronin stands etc.

Only real negatives I can see are location (not for me) and being close to Eels Leagues Club. They could always run buses to Ashfield after the game if it was financially viable.

I am sure they will end up there whilst ANZ is redeveloped anyway - so that would be a good trial period.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 1:43 pm

I can just see them stuffing up Homebush and it not being any better than what it is now.
Either or though. Just as long as we get one home ground.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 2:48 pm

Playing Parra on Easter Monday at WSS as our home game would be awesome...like the 2010 semi against the Rorters at WESTSSFS..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 2:58 pm

Double post

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 8:05 pm

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... n-grounds/

Looks like at least 4 home grounds next year.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 9:02 pm

Is that including the game in Tamworth as well?.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 9:06 pm

Itll be five again

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 9:14 pm

tigerbenji wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 9:02 pm
Is that including the game in Tamworth as well?.
Yeah. Tamworth is confirmed.

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 10:57 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 8:05 pm

Well the club certainly can forget a bigger membership base ,the 2 suburban grounds will not hold the membership base as it is ...what organisation refuses to allow for growth of its membership base and supply the facility to accommodate them .
IMO this club has no motivation to move forward and commit to one home ground ...anyway with this decision they will get burnt in the long term as other clubs will see potential in modern facilities that enhance there members value for there dollar .A bit of a joke really but not surprising!

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 11:06 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 10:57 pm
gallagher wrote:

Well the club certainly can forget a bigger membership base ,the 2 suburban grounds will not hold the membership base as it is ...what organisation refuses to allow for growth of its membership base and supply the facility to accommodate them .
IMO this club has no motivation to move forward and commit to one home ground ...anyway with this decision they will get burnt in the long term as other clubs will see potential in modern facilities that enhance there members value for there dollar .A bit of a joke really but not surprising!
I will laugh if we get some new members based out at Tamworth...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 7:01 am

Wests Nomads.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:02 am

Snake wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 10:57 pm
gallagher wrote:

You're take on this - what is surprising to me.

As if the 20k members we had this year or the maybe 25k+ members we have next year are all going to go to LO or CSS at the one time. members come from everywhere and quite a few thousand would never be able to go to a game.
Most of the games at the Tiger suburban grounds are against out of Sydney teams - which allows for at least 15k worth of members.

Can't see your point - think your point is, that it isn't good for you.

I mean if you don't like LO and CSS don't go to those games.