Darren Senter

Wests Tigers Discussion
happy tiger

Darren Senter

Post by happy tiger » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm

Talking about it with GNR , I always thought to ask why he was so disliked

I know he was doing that infomercial ad which looked pretty lame , but he always gave his all

I wasn't A Forum member back then , why was everyone so unkind ......

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:08 pm

I think because he wasn't the most skilful player and played in an era where both Balmain and Wests Tigers are unsuccessful. He was also a niggler and liked getting in peoples faces. - could be undisciplined in that regard.

I always respected him because he played his heart out and lead from the front with his effort always. We didn't have much talent at Balmain in the late 90s. I remember one game we had hypothermia at halftime or something and played the second half. Also had a game where his dad was real crook but played on.

I think most Balmin fans would like him but I could be wrong as I was young. Him and Mark Oneill played their whole careers together. Buckets got the fairytale, Senter want out in 2004. So that would have hurt him a bit. Although to be fair we would not have wont he comp without Farah at 9 in 2005.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:12 pm

I actually got to meet Darren through Trent Runciman and what a Champion fella ( funny bloke ) .
i actually got a signed Darren shorts signed by him after a Manly game .
I actually feel for him that he missed out on the year we won the Grand Final.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:15 pm

I liked Senter as he played with heart which a lot of modern footballers lack, he wasn't the best player and he did play in a time when both Balmain and Wests Tigers struggled on the field.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:40 pm

Good honest footballer, we had a few of thosein the early days before we became a premiership force.

"Tiger Daz" we used to call him. Scored one if the softest tries you'll ever see off a quick tap v Raiders at LO.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 12:22 am

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:40 pm
Good honest footballer, we had a few of thosein the early days before we became a premiership force.

"Tiger Daz" we used to call him. Scored one if the softest tries you'll ever see off a quick tap v Raiders at LO.
I remember that well.

It was at Ctown Stadium in 2001.

A couple weeks after the Hopoate and Fied stuff blew up.

Crowd was about 2K at best.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:47 am

I was 13 when he retired so I don't remember too much of his career. I wasn't aware that he was disliked... he seemed like a great clubman, and a good example of the tradesman-like players that those late 90s Balmain / early Wests Tigers teams had.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:27 am

I liked him as well, don't recall much in the way of dislike from supporters

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 5:31 am

Eddie wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:08 pm
I think because he wasn't the most skilful player and played in an era where both Balmain and Wests Tigers are unsuccessful. He was also a niggler and liked getting in peoples faces. - could be undisciplined in that regard.

I always respected him because he played his heart out and lead from the front with his effort always. We didn't have much talent at Balmain in the late 90s. I remember one game we had hypothermia at halftime or something and played the second half. Also had a game where his dad was real crook but played on.

I think most Balmin fans would like him but I could be wrong as I was young. Him and Mark Oneill played their whole careers together. Buckets got the fairytale, Senter want out in 2004. So that would have hurt him a bit. Although to be fair we would not have wont he comp without Farah at 9 in 2005.
Was he a Balmain jnr?
He started his career at the Dogs...I didnt mind him when WTs were formed, because opposition fans hated him, he did always have a go tho
He was also called Hollywood wasnt he... cause of those big pearly whites

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 7:45 am

He was a hard working "give no quarter" player.He certainly lacked a huge amount of ability and could give a penalty away.
Every week he would try his hardest for the team and teammates,a great clubman.He is the type of player that Ivan seems to be bringing to the club but hopefully without the penalties

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:26 am

He was an "over niggler" with a head you just wanted to smash. But i liked him. Opposition teams hate him though.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:42 am

Eddie wrote:
Wed 06 Jun, 2018 11:08 pm
I remember one game we had hypothermia at halftime or something and played the second half. Also had a game where his dad was real crook but played on.

Eels game @ Leichhardt. Pouring rain with a massive crowd. We won with a rag tag group like Gillett and that red head half...

Farah always looked the goods from junior days coming through. It was a very special time in 2002/2003 with Hoffman, Lima; Farah; Benji; Fulton; Gibbs all coming through

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:54 am

Never heard of any Tigers fans that didn't like him. Like a more passionate version of ET, or a combo of ET and Grub. Extremely passionate player and leader, great captain, always gave 100% and did his best to fire his team up.

Not the most skillful but could tackle all day, decent short kicking game, could find the tryline, and upset his opponents a bit. Did give away a few penalties too though.

We've sorely lacked someone like him for a long time now where we've lacked any vocal players at all who would run through a brick wall with a dislocated shoulder if it meant his team got the ball.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:59 am

he was @ the 2005 grand final supporting the tigers

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:20 am

my favourite memory of Daz was the last 10 minutes of that game at parra late in 2000 when we lead by 6 and the eels were camped on our line. he must have given away 4 penalties (all to our advantage), would then rip the ball out of the parras guys arms, throw it into the crowd, turn around to the ref with a confused look and say 'what?'

loved the guy

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 11:14 am

Darren was a dogs junior, a backrower originally i think.

I loved him, but i think we has a Tery Hill type of player in the eyes of opposing fans. Loved the niggle and sledging.

I think he was accused of racial abuse against an opponent back in the 1990's .. can;t remember if he was found guilty or not.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:04 pm

Versatile player too, he filled in at centre, back-row and hooker for us.

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 2:33 pm

I remember he was our captain and I dont think the refs like his constant whinging, so they penalised him more.
We were shafted by the refs even more than we do now.
Those were dark days.