Bagging Ivan

Wests Tigers Discussion
krayola

Bagging Ivan

Post by krayola » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:04 pm

The amount of criticism on here towards him atm is :crazy

With this team he has in fact led us to our best start in club history (as of last week when we were 7 - 5).
People want him to change the roster how? Drop Lolo for Kev? Play McIlwrick? Start Reynolds over Marshall? Move MCK to the bench? Please. These changes are so minute they will not improve the fortunes of our season. Ivan has shown plenty of accountability so far, so just stop with that line of criticism.

MCK is playing decent/good first grade footy for the first time ever. Brooks is playing to his potential. Matulino is having a resurgence. We got something out of the carcass of Rochow. Twal is a future NSW player. Marsters has gone from U20s to regular first grader. Corey Thompson's season. MWZ being a reliable, solid first grader. And the vibe around the club is better than it has ever been. All in one year under Cleary.

Name a coach in the league who would get noticeably better results with this squad of players...the only person who I can see who maybe fits the bill is Barrett. Bellamy - nope. Bennett - nope. McGregor - hell no. Griffin - ha! Brown - isn't doing it at Newcastle atm. Robinson - noooooo.

From memory our form improved in the second half of last year and I see no reason that it won't this season too as Reynolds builds fitness so that he can guide our attack a bit more.

But go on, keep bagging the guy who has turned the team's fortunes around and taken us from the gossip column to the winner's column.
One of my sources is Pascoe

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:10 pm

Let the baggers have a try at coaching juniors for just one season and see how they go,

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:11 pm

Look out next year...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:20 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:11 pm
Look out next year...
Steppingstone
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Gus 22

Post by Gus 22 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:31 pm

7-5 with this roster, including playing Melbourne & the Roosters twice already (not to mention Penrith & Brisbane) is an outstanding result. More importantly the way the team is playing is impressive.

Champions teams generally have elite defence as a foundation. The Tigers defence in 2018 is streets ahead of any other side since the merge.

I might choose a slightly different line-up some times if I was coach, but given the performances so far this year, Cleary has earned my trust to choose whom ever he believes will play the way he thinks will win games.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:37 pm

krayola wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:04 pm

With this team he has in fact led us to our best start in club history (as of last week when we were 7 - 5).
People want him to change the roster how? Drop Lolo for Kev? Play McIlwrick? Start Reynolds over Marshall? Move MCK to the bench? Please. These changes are so minute they will not improve the fortunes of our season. Ivan has shown plenty of accountability so far, so just stop with that line of criticism.

MCK is playing decent/good first grade footy for the first time ever. Brooks is playing to his potential. Matulino is having a resurgence. We got something out of the carcass of Rochow. Twal is a future NSW player. Marsters has gone from U20s to regular first grader. Corey Thompson's season. MWZ being a reliable, solid first grader. And the vibe around the club is better than it has ever been. All in one year under Cleary.

Name a coach in the league who would get noticeably better results with this squad of players...the only person who I can see who maybe fits the bill is Barrett. Bellamy - nope. Bennett - nope. McGregor - hell no. Griffin - ha! Brown - isn't doing it at Newcastle atm. Robinson - noooooo.

From memory our form improved in the second half of last year and I see no reason that it won't this season too as Reynolds builds fitness so that he can guide our attack a bit more.

But go on, keep bagging the guy who has turned the team's fortunes around and taken us from the gossip column to the winner's column.
Great post.
Opinions are fine but lashing out the way people have recently is :crazy

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:42 pm

Geo. wrote:
Look out next year...
Geo, I can't read you mate. You post comments like this in so many threads, and then defend the club in others.

I feel something broke in you when Marty left, and I understand. I'm here if you need me.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:45 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:37 pm
krayola wrote:

Great post.
Nothing wrong with being passionate, just like the original poster, but fans should be constructive rather than destructive with posts....

Ivan did set our expectations for 2018 before a whistle was blown this year, and that was its very much a rebuilding year and his #1 priorities was to get the culture right in the club and fix our defense....on that score alone he rates a big pass....!

We are not going to win the GF this year and if we make the semis it will be a huge unexpected bonus....realign expectations folks...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:46 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:42 pm
Geo. wrote:
Look out next year...
Geo, I can't read you mate. You post comments like this in so many threads, and then defend the club in others.

I feel something broke in you when Marty left, and I understand. I'm here if you need me.

That's not bagging..the trend is up...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

krayola

Post by krayola » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:04 pm

tigerap wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:45 pm
old man tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:37 pm
krayola wrote:

Great post.
Nothing wrong with being passionate, just like the original poster, but fans should be constructive rather than destructive with posts....

Ivan did set our expectations for 2018 before a whistle was blown this year, and that was its very much a rebuilding year and his #1 priorities was to get the culture right in the club and fix our defense....on that score alone he rates a big pass....!

We are not going to win the GF this year and if we make the semis it will be a huge unexpected bonus....realign expectations folks...
It’s more fun being destructive and tends to get a response ;)
One of my sources is Pascoe

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:06 pm

Haven't seen a Sack The Coach comment yet, so he must be doing ok.

izotope

Post by izotope » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:13 pm

Geo. wrote:
Look out next year...
Should be our new theme song
tigers!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:19 pm

People saying you can't criticise him because the squad is weak, but who put the squad together?

I think he's done a great job, but for some bizarre reason, some believe he's above criticism.

TopTiger

Post by TopTiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:21 pm

Ivan is the best coach the Tigers could have hoped for after the rabble we have been over recent years. It is not like the Tigers had numerous NRL coaches banging down our door to coach the Tigers. Ivan has form when it comes to rebuilding teams from the Warriors to the Panther and now the Tigers so I for one support the motto of "in Ivan we trust" as he has been exactly what the Tigers need now and moving forward!!

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:27 pm

Great OP

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:30 pm

Did the OP really suggest the only other coach who could get more out of this squad is Barrett? Has to be a typo.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:42 pm

Instead of bagging Ivan. We should bag OP.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 4:50 pm

Some posts be been a bit OTT.... he shouldn't be above valid criticism tho... We all have opinions imagine if we all had the same opinion... It'd be nothing more than
X2
X3
X4
etc