Fullback problem

Wests Tigers Discussion
swag tiger

Fullback problem

Post by swag tiger » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:33 pm

We have a real fullback problem on our hands. Lolohea is scared to make contact with defenders and basically jogs during a kick return. Yes we have Thompson and Kevin as possibilities but i wouldn't call then game winning fullbacks. We need a fullback asap which would be Mbye if he does come before June 30th. If nothings happens we will have a big problem on our hands in the fullback department.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:40 pm

Mbye would be a better option atm, but he is by no means going to be the saviour most here are making him out to be. He’s not even established himself in the role.

In the meantime I’d give Kev a go, why not. I’m a little disappointed he’s leaving us, in career best form. Imagine saying that a year ago. Cleary has transformed him.

ancient magpie

Post by ancient magpie » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:44 pm

I dissagree we dont have afullback problem we just need Thomson at fullback All these coaches seem to need to play the big name signinga evev when there not uo to it Lolahea i think is better suited to 5/8 but theres aline up rthere . Sorry about the mistakes but Ive had a few bees

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:47 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:40 pm
Mbye would be a better option atm, but he is by no means going to be the saviour most here are making him out to be. He’s not even established himself in the role.

In the meantime I’d give Kev a go, why not. I’m a little disappointed he’s leaving us, in career best form. Imagine saying that a year ago. Cleary has transformed him.
Mbye would probably be one of the faster backs in the team when he does come.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:52 pm

It wasnt a problem till Lolohea came back into the side 3 weeks ago.

Thompson barely put a foot wrong when in the #1. Yes he lacked in a few areas (EG - He can't ball play), but he was safe and read the game very well. Definitely just a stop gap option, but a damn good one. He also was dangerous in open play, had good support and kept popping up. I also felt he was starting to get some good combinations with some good inside balls just before he was moved.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 10:02 pm

I’ve grown to like Thompson ... but he is not a first grade fullback . Much as I had hope Lolohea would come good he is like Brooks ... you can’t depend on them to perform at the same level every game.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 10:11 pm

kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:52 pm

Thompson barely put a foot wrong when in the #1. Yes he lacked in a few areas (EG - He can't ball play), but he was safe and read the game very well. Definitely just a stop gap option, but a damn good one. He also was dangerous in open play, had good support and kept popping up. I also felt he was starting to get some good combinations with some good inside balls just before he was moved.
x 2, give Thomo another go at the back. He will never give up, always puts his body on the line & is always backing up through the middle.

tonza

Post by tonza » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 10:11 pm

ancient magpie wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:44 pm
I dissagree we dont have afullback problem we just need Thomson at fullback All these coaches seem to need to play the big name signinga evev when there not uo to it Lolahea i think is better suited to 5/8 but theres aline up rthere . Sorry about the mistakes but Ive had a few bees
Had a few bees have you? Half your luck. I don't think we will have a choice. I think Tui will have to go to 5/8 next week in any case. Renolds appeared to be favoring his arm and Benji has gone for a while. Just hope it is announced that Mbye will be here early.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:30 pm

#9 is a problem too.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:32 pm

Demps wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:30 pm
#9 is a problem too.
#8 and #10 is a problem too .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Droppy

Post by Droppy » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 12:01 am

hobbo wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:32 pm
Demps wrote:
#9 is a problem too.
#1 to #17 are a problem!

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 7:30 am

Droppy wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 12:01 am
hobbo wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:32 pm
Demps wrote:
#9 is a problem too.
#1 to #17 are a problem!
Twal is good tho.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:29 am

I thought that LoLo had a poor game yesterday.

He had an opportunity to stop at the least 2 tries yesterday and failed. Could have been 3 if Lewis had of grounded the ball.

Took some decent bombs and scored a try but was otherwise pretty average.

9 is also a problem for us.

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:35 am

Lolo has talent but no heart.

I don't think he should be every considered for a NRL spot again.

I would put Kevin at full back for the rest of the year as Thompson will stay on the wing once Moses joins us.

Love to see what Garner and Hobson could offer us in the NRL for the reminder of the year. We did have some success evaluating Marsters, Huth and Twal from Parramatta ISP last year. Worth a go as the season appears to be slipping away.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:44 am

Clearyweareone wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:35 am
Lolo has talent but no heart.

I don't think he should be every considered for a NRL spot again.

I would put Kevin at full back for the rest of the year as Thompson will stay on the wing once Moses joins us.

Love to see what Garner and Hobson could offer us in the NRL for the reminder of the year. We did have some success evaluating Marsters, Huth and Twal from Parramatta ISP last year. Worth a go as the season appears to be slipping away.
Yea I was expecting Lolohea to explode. Instead he regresses. You are 100% right about Thompson, let him own the wing. He can either be a OK/good Fullback or a Good/Great wing. Let him be a great winger unless we have no one else who can be an OK fullback.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 9:39 am

I was a big Tui supporter until yesterday. He completely lost me. He has no energy when returning the ball, and will not put his body on the line in defence.

With the loss of Suli and Milne we have no depth in the outside backs at all. Most of our ISP backs are terrible (Tali, Price, O'Toole).

I would even consider upgrading Heleta at this point and consider him for 1st grade.

We should be sniffing around other clubs before 30 June. Looking at players like Nathan Davis, Dane Aukafolau, Steve Marsters, Rueben Garrick, Marwene Hiroti, Reimis Smith, Hymel Hunt, Robert Jennings etc who are on the cusp of 1st grade, but not assured a spot.

Moh

Post by Moh » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:29 am

Not defending Lolo at all but he's clearly hampered by that knee injury.

Dived 5 metres short of the line for his try cause he knew he didn't have the legs.

Needs a rest, and a long spell of hard work in ressies. For now, Kev or Thompson to fullback unless Mbye comes early.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:35 am

kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 10 Jun, 2018 9:52 pm

X2