hammertime wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 7:42 am
Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 9:27 am
Sabre wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 6:52 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Tue 19 Jun, 2018 6:17 pm
Looks like this thing is finally gunna happen...differing $$$ amounts though make me wonder
Some money from Council, some money from State/elsewhere?
Yeah was something like $58 mil from NSW gov, possibly up to 100 mil if other conditions are met, now $30 mil from local council and something like $10 mil from the PCYC.

It's not just a centre for our boys to train, there'll be a range of other sporting arenas, and areas for youth development and education programs etc.

Really this thread should be merged with the original one so all the information and context is in the one thread. Mods?
Never saw $58mil from nsw govt. That was the total cost of the project. NSW govt had a total pot of $40mil to be spread across all clubs. We got $5.5mil, but had to meet several conditions. So it was restricted unlike other clubs. I'd say the recent confirmation from Canada Bay funding was a pretty significant one of those conditions.
My mistake, 57 mil may have been the total cost of stage 1 of the COE, but the government was going to give us more than the original 5 million for the latter stages too. Total cost of the project was like 120 mil??

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:18 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 6:11 am
Open green spaces are very important for many reasons - I hope they are not going to build all over Concord Oval?
The oval stays, the actual playing surface.
Need more props.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:40 am

MightyMaggy wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 8:34 am
jirskyr wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:48 am
Ivan cleary wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 9:06 am
Can someone please explain what the centre of excellence is don’t quite get it and also what we do with that money we supposedly get? Cheers
Basically it's facilities, however you might want that to look. Typically all of your training and admin needs brought together in one location, all modernised. Considering Concord Oval is over 40 years old, it tells you a lot about what can be done to revamp the site.
I played Western Suburbs Juniors rugby league on Concord Oval in 1957 and it was there during my High School years from 1951 to 1956. It was a great surface to play on in those days.
But the most recent facilities development was mid-80s right? Except maybe when Uncle Harry paid for a kitchen to be put in. I don't think the surface is under any question in these developments.

mctiger

Post by mctiger » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:53 am

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:40 am
MightyMaggy wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Ivan cleary wrote:
Wed 20 Jun, 2018 9:06 am
Can someone please explain what the centre of excellence is don’t quite get it and also what we do with that money we supposedly get? Cheers
Basically it's facilities, however you might want that to look. Typically all of your training and admin needs brought together in one location, all modernised. Considering Concord Oval is over 40 years old, it tells you a lot about what can be done to revamp the site.
I played Western Suburbs Juniors rugby league on Concord Oval in 1957 and it was there during my High School years from 1951 to 1956. It was a great surface to play on in those days.
But the most recent facilities development was mid-80s right? Except maybe when Uncle Harry paid for a kitchen to be put in. I don't think the surface is under any question in these developments.
According to the Canada Bay website "Concord oval was redeveloped in 1985 as a match venue for the 1987 Rugby World Cup. The upgrade included the construction of the Eastern & Western grandstands incorporating training and spectator facilities.
While the playing surface is still well utilised by local sporting clubs, the associated spectator facilities are underutilised and somewhat redundant since the construction of large game venues like Stadium Australia (Homebush), Sydney Football Stadium (Moore Park) and the current redevelopment of Parramatta Stadium.
Condition Asset Audits commissioned by Council in 2011 confirm that the existing structures will continue to deteriorate without significant capital investment."

http://www.canadabay.nsw.gov.au/redevel ... -oval.html

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 2:18 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:05 am

My mistake, 57 mil may have been the total cost of stage 1 of the COE, but the government was going to give us more than the original 5 million for the latter stages too. Total cost of the project was like 120 mil??
Yeah, I haven't seen anything like that. Got any articles?

Red Rugby

Post by Red Rugby » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 3:20 pm

mctiger wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:53 am
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:40 am
MightyMaggy wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

According to the Canada Bay website "Concord oval was redeveloped in 1985 as a match venue for the 1987 Rugby World Cup. The upgrade included the construction of the Eastern & Western grandstands incorporating training and spectator facilities.
While the playing surface is still well utilised by local sporting clubs, the associated spectator facilities are underutilised and somewhat redundant since the construction of large game venues like Stadium Australia (Homebush), Sydney Football Stadium (Moore Park) and the current redevelopment of Parramatta Stadium.
Condition Asset Audits commissioned by Council in 2011 confirm that the existing structures will continue to deteriorate without significant capital investment."

http://www.canadabay.nsw.gov.au/redevel ... -oval.html
This is what happened the last time someone developed Concord Oval....

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... eae38ce05c