Wests Tigers - a history of mediocrity

Wests Tigers Discussion
Silentio

Wests Tigers - a history of mediocrity

Post by Silentio » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:50 am

I've been a Wests Tigers fan since day one and I've been a footy fan for long enough to know that there are good day and there are bad days.

But as long-term fan and member, I'm calling for better from our management and board.

We've always struggled and despite the lip service from management that we've grown accustomed to, it looks like we're hitting new lows.

Since out inception, we've only made the top 8 just 15.7% of the time. When you remember we're talking about a 15 or 16 team competition, that's an absolutely atrocious result.

Our overall average finish has been a lowly 10th. Under the current regime's management, the only time we came close to this was in 2016 under Jason Taylor (9th) and he was given the boot.

The Tim Sheens era has been by far and away our best. During this period we made the finals 30% of the time, including three finishes in the top 4. We were always somewhat competitive in this period. Sheens did walk into a mess of a club, but he was pushing for the finals in just his second season.

We currently have a CEO and chair who are light on footy experience and it's showing.

They have not come close to delivering on their much hyped strategic plan (which seems to have conveniently vanished from the website). The "rebuilding" excuse is used repeatedly despite evidence showing it does not take that long.

There's a pretty clear case for our chair and CEO to move on if we don't make the finals this year. They have not even come close to achieving what they promised us:

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... e-new-ceo/

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:55 am

Have a look at Parra's mediocrity stats. If you want to win every match then follow Roosters who have some magical very private solution which they have used over the past few years.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:29 am

Newtown wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:55 am
Have a look at Parra's mediocrity stats. If you want to win every match then follow Roosters who have some magical very private solution which they have used over the past few years.
At least Parra made the finals in recent years.....

And I hate the Roosters with a burning passion, but they do get somewhat experienced people running their club.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:46 am

Could not disagree with anyone more Silentio.

Think you are talking a load of rubbish - probably to fit in with your own thoughts.

This is the best Board and CEO we have ever had - Sheens / Cleary the best coaches.

You are being totally unrealistic.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:48 am

I agree with Silentio. Pascoe hasnt impressed me one bit.
No COE as of yet and despite his initial promise of one home ground we've ended up with 5.
These are big issues that need to be sorted but are we any closer to achieving thems since he started?
The occasional video of giggles with Cleary won't cut it any more.
He'd a dud.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:51 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:46 am

Think you are talking a load of rubbish - probably to fit in with your own thoughts.

This is the best Board and CEO we have ever had - Sheens / Cleary the best coaches.

Interested on what basis you disagree so strongly.

The chair and CEO have not come even close to hitting their KPIs.

For the record, I'm not bagging Cleary or the players.

Bones

Post by Bones » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:02 pm

Record membership, record sponsorship, projected to break even which has never been done, what more are the board and CEO meant to do unless they can play second row or hooker?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:24 pm

Bones wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:02 pm
Record membership, record sponsorship, projected to break even which has never been done, what more are the board and CEO meant to do unless they can play second row or hooker?
What's the dollar value of our sponsorship? Compared to other years?

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:32 pm

I think the back room is the one shining light on the whole of this season.
Without knowing the actual $$$ figures and the actual nuts and bolts of the organisation, to me they appear to be doing a great job.
The 17 blokes on the paddock are the ones letting the club and supporters down at the moment.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:36 pm

I think they just threw in a bad half of football so many of our supporters could engage in their favourite activity of sticking the boot into the club and labelling it and most of its players mediocre. It was really quite considerate of them. Now they just need to all sack themselves so we can get us some of that green, green grass on the other side...

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:43 pm

Recruitment and retention - if only we were good at it.

Oggy

Post by Oggy » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:47 pm

if you throw Balmain into this (for us Balmain fans) 3 times in 28 years. 2005 was based on 3 very good months. 2010 was a consistent year, and 2011 was similar to 2005, only we should have beaten the stupid warriors in that semi final.

It's frustrating but you get used to the same old failures every year., when I heard 'this is a different tigers team' after 6 weeks I rolled my eyes and thought 'here we go again' because every year we seem to always start well, just that this year our start lasted a little longer and beat some good teams. Hell in 2002 we knocked off the eels and Bulldogs in the first 2 rounds. Bulldogs were the cheaters of 2002 and the eels were beating every team by 50 the previous year.

We still could make the 8 but after yesterday it just looks like the same old tigers again. with negative F and A and middle of the table finish outside the 8.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:48 pm

I think some people have forgotten we came into the season as favourites for the spoon. I have been happy with performances this season in line with ability and realistic expectations. My concern is this squad does not strike me as one to get excited about in the future. Who are the young players to really keep an eye on ?

With most rebuilds you want to see a young - emerging sort of team . This is not that . It’s a team that could get old and is already slow . We would have had that with the likes of Tedesco, Addo Carr, Moses etc - but it all went pear shaped.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:51 pm

I’m not sure what everyone expects. I said that a bottom 8 finish this year was a failure but that’s emotion talking - I’m sick of losing.
If we look at it constructively we must admit the Board seems settled and working as one; the management is in control and is making good off field progress; recruitment has been as good as it could be - I mean there aren’t that many players available and we’re still not exactly a favoured destination. I think we recruited well for what was available and considering our recent reputation.
I hate hearing ‘rebuild’. I want to hear and see ‘success’. The emotional spray I gave 2 Tigers officials as I stormed out yesterday exemplifies this. But I, and all of us, need to be patient and look at our progress constructively.
I work in the area of organisational improvement. That’s my job. I’ve learned big time that an organisations culture must be articulated, agreed upon and lived before sustained success is possible. We are building culture - you can see it in every decision.
If we can develop our culture then attract and keep the right people we will have success. Now us not the time to be turning over board members or CEO’s.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Oggy

Post by Oggy » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:52 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:48 pm
I think some people have forgotten we came into the season as favourites for the spoon. I have been happy with performances this season in line with ability and realistic expectations. My concern is this squad does not strike me as one to get excited about in the future. Who are the young players to really keep an eye on ?

With most rebuilds you want to see a young - emerging sort of team . This is not that . It’s a team that could get old and is already slow . We would have had that with the likes of Tedesco, Addo Carr, Moses etc - but it all went pear shaped.
Getting Older actually worked for the Sharks. when they signed all the old players it helped win them the comp finally 2 years ago. I feel this team could have that same style as the sharks that grinding boring style. but really have to enhance on it next year.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:53 pm

Silentio wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:51 am
Russell wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:46 am

Interested on what basis you disagree so strongly.

The chair and CEO have not come even close to hitting their KPIs.

For the record, I'm not bagging Cleary or the players.
They've been busy repairing mess over the last few years. Just look at the # of players who left vs the ones who stayed and you get an idea of what kind of cap problem they faced.

If you're not going to value the guys that tackle the issues vs kicking the can down the road, then we might as well as hire a sheens/hasler/castle combo and row ourselves back up the creek!

Despite constant challenges and a thin cap for a team, in a competitive Sydney market, the front office have got us close to break even.

They didn't do everything perfectly, but as Russel said, I completely agree that they're the best we've had.

KPIs are easier to hit immediately if you're willing to forgoe any long term strategy.

razzledazzle

Post by razzledazzle » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:08 pm

Oggy wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:52 pm
Eddie wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:48 pm

Getting Older actually worked for the Sharks. when they signed all the old players it helped win them the comp finally 2 years ago. I feel this team could have that same style as the sharks that grinding boring style. but really have to enhance on it next year.
I think the key difference between that Sharks team and us is they had a creative spark (i.e. Ben Barba) who could change games out of nowhere. Not to mention an awesome dummy-half. We are definitely lacking those aspects.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:13 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:51 pm
I’m not sure what everyone expects. I said that a bottom 8 finish this year was a failure but that’s emotion talking - I’m sick of losing.
If we look at it constructively we must admit the Board seems settled and working as one; the management is in control and is making good off field progress; recruitment has been as good as it could be - I mean there aren’t that many players available and we’re still not exactly a favoured destination. I think we recruited well for what was available and considering our recent reputation.
I hate hearing ‘rebuild’. I want to hear and see ‘success’. The emotional spray I gave 2 Tigers officials as I stormed out yesterday exemplifies this. But I, and all of us, need to be patient and look at our progress constructively.
I work in the area of organisational improvement. That’s my job. I’ve learned big time that an organisations culture must be articulated, agreed upon and lived before sustained success is possible. We are building culture - you can see it in every decision.
If we can develop our culture then attract and keep the right people we will have success. Now us not the time to be turning over board members or CEO’s.
Good dpost I hope you're right steve