Back to basics

Wests Tigers Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Back to basics

Post by TIGER » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:24 pm

I've heard these words being used for a few weeks now from Ivan and other players.
But it doesn't seem to be happening.

I know it's easy to say and it's been said a billion times but footy at it's most basic is a simple game.
Run hard
Tackle hard

We're not running hard!!!


User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17826
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:26 pm

TIGER wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:24 pm
I've heard these words being used for a few weeks now from Ivan and other players.
But it doesn't seem to be happening.

I know it's easy to say and it's been said a billion times but footy at it's most basic is a simple game.
Run hard
Tackle hard

We're not running hard!!!
Run hard, tackle hard, hang on to the pill.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue 24 Nov, 2015 4:06 pm
Location: Springwood

Post by oldprop » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 5:51 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:26 pm
TIGER wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 4:24 pm
I've heard these words being used for a few weeks now from Ivan and other players.
But it doesn't seem to be happening.

I know it's easy to say and it's been said a billion times but footy at it's most basic is a simple game.
Run hard
Tackle hard

We're not running hard!!!
Run hard, tackle hard, hang on to the pill.
I’d settle for tackle hard.
Need more props.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3562
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:37 pm

Does anyone have the stats for our completion rates and unforced errors since Round 6?

Despite being for mine a largely untalented team in attack - we do seem to shoot ourselves in the foot with some really poor errors that should not happen. Basic errors like Brooks dropping the ball on tackle 1 yesterday.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5910
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:55 pm

Can I tell you my two stand outs in this BtB concept?

Chris Lawrence is the positive - just runs hard, makes his tackles, plays long minutes, minimum penalties. Just keeps showing up and showing up, and after an injury toll that would have ruined most players, he gets his body right and regains his form. Keeps running the hard lines that other players aren't interested in.

Josh Aloiai on the other hand - all the ability in the world, but crucial dropped balls and missed tackles. Aloiai takes hitups better than anyone in the side but his output is very inconsistent. Coach keeps giving him opportunities but he's arguably getting worse as the season goes on.

So I'm all for basics when it's the Chris Lawrence type of basics, but the reality is the smart hard work has been lacking. Hard work is definitely there, the players are clearly trying, but plenty of it is dumb work, e.g. defending the line after penalties or dropped balls.

We need to go back to water-tight ball control first and foremost, then good tactical kicking with straight-line kick chase, and regular line speed all match. All of those have fallen away the last 2 months.


User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22164
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:56 pm

Need to start up those mini competitions that Marshall was bragging about at the start of the year again.

User avatar
Love the WestsTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 3223
Joined: Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Ex Ctown Resident Now Qlander

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:55 pm
Can I tell you my two stand outs in this BtB concept?

Chris Lawrence is the positive - just runs hard, makes his tackles, plays long minutes, minimum penalties. Just keeps showing up and showing up, and after an injury toll that would have ruined most players, he gets his body right and regains his form. Keeps running the hard lines that other players aren't interested in.

Josh Aloiai on the other hand - all the ability in the world, but crucial dropped balls and missed tackles. Aloiai takes hitups better than anyone in the side but his output is very inconsistent. Coach keeps giving him opportunities but he's arguably getting worse as the season goes on.

So I'm all for basics when it's the Chris Lawrence type of basics, but the reality is the smart hard work has been lacking. Hard work is definitely there, the players are clearly trying, but plenty of it is dumb work, e.g. defending the line after penalties or dropped balls.

We need to go back to water-tight ball control first and foremost, then good tactical kicking with straight-line kick chase, and regular line speed all match. All of those have fallen away the last 2 months.

so i agree with Lawrence running hard BUT just look back to last year, his hands were letting him down just like Aloiai's right now.
The determination is there and so is the effort, i cant ask for too much more.

He will learn to run like Loz, im not too fused

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5910
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:18 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 7:24 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:55 pm
Can I tell you my two stand outs in this BtB concept?

Chris Lawrence is the positive - just runs hard, makes his tackles, plays long minutes, minimum penalties. Just keeps showing up and showing up, and after an injury toll that would have ruined most players, he gets his body right and regains his form. Keeps running the hard lines that other players aren't interested in.

Josh Aloiai on the other hand - all the ability in the world, but crucial dropped balls and missed tackles. Aloiai takes hitups better than anyone in the side but his output is very inconsistent. Coach keeps giving him opportunities but he's arguably getting worse as the season goes on.

So I'm all for basics when it's the Chris Lawrence type of basics, but the reality is the smart hard work has been lacking. Hard work is definitely there, the players are clearly trying, but plenty of it is dumb work, e.g. defending the line after penalties or dropped balls.

We need to go back to water-tight ball control first and foremost, then good tactical kicking with straight-line kick chase, and regular line speed all match. All of those have fallen away the last 2 months.

so i agree with Lawrence running hard BUT just look back to last year, his hands were letting him down just like Aloiai's right now.
The determination is there and so is the effort, i cant ask for too much more.

He will learn to run like Loz, im not too fused
My opinion is most of the dropped balls Lawrence made were from hospital passes he received.

Aloiai doesn't run those lines, but you are right he can learn.

Thing is Lawrence has been running those lines since day one, hence why he was such a talent in the centres.

Tigrr
Member
Member
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:14 pm

Post by Tigrr » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:22 pm

it all starts with the service from dummy half as Canberra showed on the weekend

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4830
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 3:41 am

The Lebo World Cup squad put together a better game than our boys did last weekend.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22164
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 6:19 am

Tigrr wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:22 pm
it all starts with the service from dummy half as Canberra showed on the weekend
And we showed till our hooker got hurt.

Post Reply