Hooker Strategy

Wests Tigers Discussion
Cairnstigers

Re: Hooker Strategy

Post by Cairnstigers » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 6:05 pm

Dont think Robbie will compete for the 80
Doesn't have the match fitness for a full game of 1st grade and other teams will be running at him
Once he's made 40 + tackles he will need to be rested
Maybe move Reynolds to hooker and Gamble off the bench into the halves
If we are in front and on top then that all changes
Leave Robbie on

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 7:54 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 6:05 pm
Doesn't have the match fitness for a full game of 1st grade and other teams will be running at him
Leave Robbie on
Im sorry but i totally disagree
This bloke doesnt leave anything in the tank when he is playing

He is tough as nails and one of those few that keep pushing under pain

People might not like him personally but im sure most know his efforts are 2nd to none.
injuries and all, he keeps going

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:21 pm

Magpie69 wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 7:26 pm
Play Robbie for 80 mins for the rest of the season. Play Luke and Josh in the halves, with Benji on the bench. If Robbie needs a rest Benji to 5/8, and Josh to no 9. Jacob to play big minutes in ISP , with Robbie being his mentor. Not sure where this leaves Mat. 2019 Jacob to start and play 80 mins, with Tyson to take Benji's place on the bench
Yes you have nailed it, but I will add a few things here:

Firstly, 100% glad Robbie is back. But Brooks has brought out his football best without Moses and Robbie cramping his style. So now that Robbie is back at hooker, I hope he realises that he is no longer the team and the game does not depend on him.

We needed an 80 minute hooker. Robbie is our best option, but I hope at 34 he is up for it.

Mentoring is what we need. Having Robbie mentor Liddle is a good idea. Having him mentor Reynolds is a great idea too. I reckon Robbie and Reynolds would get along like a house on hire. Why am I still talking about moving Reynolds to Hooker? Because if in 2019 we sign Nathan Cleary, we then have Nathan at 7. So what about Brooks, who has actually been loyal? 5/8 is the only other position for him.
SO for 2019:
N Cleary ->7 (if we sign him)
Farah/Benji -> retire, maybe. Were talking a 35 and 33 year olds.
Brooks -> 5/8
Liddle -> hooker (if 2x Shoulder Reconstructions have not ruined him as a player)
Reynolds -> hooker? Hold on, that's where Liddle is?

This is where things get interesting.
We have learned that Liddle isn't an 80 minute hooker and 80 min hookers are a little rare. Taylor is not a hooker.
Reynolds has played 5/8 pretty much most of his career. He could transition to hooker, but he may not be the best solution.

So I think the strategy is 2019 focused. Get a good hooker to let the team experience success in 2018, build, train up Liddle with a good mentor and Reynolds as a reserve hooker. I can see Reynolds playing as a center switching to hooker or starting as a Hooker then switching to cover.
Personally I think Reynolds would be a great center. But Cleary sees him as the long term hooking option.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:41 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 6:05 pm
Leave Robbie on
Agreed.Seibold rested him some weeks all together so I doubt we'll get 80 mins off him every week for 9 weeks.
Id still prefer Liddle off the bench so Cleary can get him on there as the game swings.

Demps

Post by Demps » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:20 pm

Farah is going to be great for the bubble boy (Liddle)

Can see Liddle going next level with Robbie's mentoring, depending on if his body can stay sharp.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:26 pm

WT2K wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 2:40 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:20 pm
Farah for 80. Strategy complete.
Agree. Simple.
Tries (5 Farah)
Goals ( 5/5 Farah)
:roll
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 8:56 am

Farah 9
Liddle 14

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 9:14 am

8-)
TIGER wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 8:56 am
Farah 9
Liddle 14
Good in theory but realistically liddle needs to toughen up before even making the 17 in any role.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 10:35 am

Benji is still out for another couple of weeks
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 10:50 am

colmcd wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:21 pm
Magpie69 wrote:
Play Robbie for 80 mins for the rest of the season. Play Luke and Josh in the halves, with Benji on the bench. If Robbie needs a rest Benji to 5/8, and Josh to no 9. Jacob to play big minutes in ISP , with Robbie being his mentor. Not sure where this leaves Mat. 2019 Jacob to start and play 80 mins, with Tyson to take Benji's place on the bench

Firstly, 100% glad Robbie is back. But Brooks has brought out his football best without Moses and Robbie cramping his style. So now that Robbie is back at hooker, I hope he realises that he is no longer the team and the game does not depend on him.

We needed an 80 minute hooker. Robbie is our best option, but I hope at 34 he is up for it.

Mentoring is what we need. Having Robbie mentor Liddle is a good idea. Having him mentor Reynolds is a great idea too. I reckon Robbie and Reynolds would get along like a house on hire. Why am I still talking about moving Reynolds to Hooker? Because if in 2019 we sign Nathan Cleary, we then have Nathan at 7. So what about Brooks, who has actually been loyal? 5/8 is the only other position for him.
SO for 2019:
Brooks -> 5/8
Liddle -> hooker (if 2x Shoulder Reconstructions have not ruined him as a player)

We have learned that Liddle isn't an 80 minute hooker and 80 min hookers are a little rare. Taylor is not a hooker.
Reynolds has played 5/8 pretty much most of his career. He could transition to hooker, but he may not be the best solution.

So I think the strategy is 2019 focused. Get a good hooker to let the team experience success in 2018, build, train up Liddle with a good mentor and Reynolds as a reserve hooker. I can see Reynolds playing as a center switching to hooker or starting as a Hooker then switching to cover.
Personally I think Reynolds would be a great center. But Cleary sees him as the long term hooking option.
Cleary under contract at Penrith til the end of 2019.

Magpie69

Post by Magpie69 » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 12:52 pm

Demps wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 9:14 am
8-)
TIGER wrote:
Farah 9
Liddle 14
Good in theory but realistically liddle needs to toughen up before even making the 17 in any role.
I agree, we need an 80 min hooker, and cant afford to carry Liddle on the bench

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 2:55 pm

Hate to bring some common sense but it is a week to week proposition. There are too many factors that come into it - least of which will be injuries, but a lot will depend on Liddle's progress over the coming weeks in combination with how Farah actually fits in and whether he brings what the team needs. All I know is that this coming week the 9 should be Farah for 80 mins and Liddle needs 80 in ISP..

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 3:10 pm

See how Farah goes. If he's up to it he can play another month or two while Lidz gets his fitness and strength up to scratch. If Lidz plays the next 4 matches x 80 mins then he can get called up to NRL. Farah is there as a backup until Liddle is ready so how much he plays depends on both of their forms and fitness.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:05 pm

colmcd wrote:
Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:21 pm
Magpie69 wrote:

SO for 2019:
Brooks -> 5/8

Reynolds is not a DH
And as a centre he’d be a disaster, HEs a 5/8 and not always a good one.
And should never have been signed.
If you have doubt about Farah, get a video of his recent games for Souths,

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Thu 28 Jun, 2018 11:21 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:05 pm

Reynolds is not a DH
Ok I actually agree with most of what you say. *Gold coast tiger quoted me above but the thread was getting long so I reduced it.
Reynolds hasn't played Hooker in any real capacity. He has grit and a running game. Not the best passer but hey.
My choice would be to push Reynolds to the Centers. Why he has a running game and good defense. His passing game isn't the best but with 1 person as a target (i.e. say Reynolds and Nofo getting used to each other) he won't do too badly.
Cleary's choice I think is Hooker for Reynolds. That's the one that counts.
I agree with you Reynolds hasn't played any Hooker and so far appears to suck at it. Cleary however I think is Moulding him into a Peter Wallace style. He wants a ballplaying hooker.

So why not 5/8?

WE have too many of them!

If Nathan Cleary is on the cards, then Brooks needs to move to 5/8. I don't think Cleary will leave Brooks stranded, with his current form, he will probably want Brooks and Cleary as the halves. So Reynolds has to move.

So Center or Hooker. I choose Center, but Cleary will develop Reynolds into a hooker.

Naturally Brooks may go elsewhere, we may not sign Cleary or there may be enough injuries to justify Brooks Cleary and Reynolds in the halves. I though think Reynolds is being prepared to change position.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 8:36 am

colmcd wrote:
Thu 28 Jun, 2018 11:21 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 25 Jun, 2018 5:05 pm

Reynolds is not a DH
Ok I actually agree with most of what you say. *Gold coast tiger quoted me above but the thread was getting long so I reduced it.
Reynolds hasn't played Hooker in any real capacity. He has grit and a running game. Not the best passer but hey.
My choice would be to push Reynolds to the Centers. Why he has a running game and good defense. His passing game isn't the best but with 1 person as a target (i.e. say Reynolds and Nofo getting used to each other) he won't do too badly.
Cleary's choice I think is Hooker for Reynolds. That's the one that counts.
I agree with you Reynolds hasn't played any Hooker and so far appears to suck at it. Cleary however I think is Moulding him into a Peter Wallace style. He wants a ballplaying hooker.

So why not 5/8?

WE have too many of them!

If Nathan Cleary is on the cards, then Brooks needs to move to 5/8. I don't think Cleary will leave Brooks stranded, with his current form, he will probably want Brooks and Cleary as the halves. So Reynolds has to move.

So Center or Hooker. I choose Center, but Cleary will develop Reynolds into a hooker.

Naturally Brooks may go elsewhere, we may not sign Cleary or there may be enough injuries to justify Brooks Cleary and Reynolds in the halves. I though think Reynolds is being prepared to change position.
Totally disagree "colmcd" - I think you will find Liddle is Cleary's choice of DH going forward.

DH is too important a roll to just shove someone in because there is no position elsewhere. Reynolds is a 5/8, if he is not good enough to hold his position in the 13 he may have a life as a utility.

This is, assuming that Nathan Cleary comes to WT - I think we sort out the team without him and if he does come (very much doubt it myself) then make a decision.

1 Mbye 6 Reynolds 7 Brooks 9 Liddle is the way it will look without him.

Why create a problem before it happens.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 10:44 am

Demps wrote:
Sat 23 Jun, 2018 9:14 am
8-)
TIGER wrote:
Farah 9
Liddle 14
Agreed about Liddle but he did have 2 Shoulder reco's in the off season, needs a big pre season next year or off to the knackery.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 10:59 am

Just hope people don't expect instant success with Robbie and Mbye

It could take awhile , lets hope they can find away to tough it out this weekend for a gritty win and build from there

I hope the plan is for Liddle to be back with 2-3 weeks , I don't see what the half season purchase does otherwise

I'm not against Robbie slotting into a quasi lock role for 15-20 minutes to get the best out of Liddle and Farah

They could be very effective working together out of dummy half in attack late in halves of games as long as they run for yards and not play for penalties