Farah's Last Hurrah

Wests Tigers Discussion
Fade To Black

Re: Farah's Last Hurrah

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 12:47 pm

Eddie wrote:
Tue 14 Aug, 2018 10:06 am
Farah has been excellent for our team.

Without him we would be out of contention by now.
More than happy to have Robbie playing on here next year. By all means give Liddle every chance to make the 9 his own next season but there are no guarantees with him body-wise and Robbie is the best option we have short-term if Liddle doesn't handle the rigours of week to week footy.
Have no doubt that if Farah was here during our miserable mid-season when every man and his rat was tried at hooker we would have won a few of those close games. He is still as good of a competitor as you will find in the NRL and that counts for a lot.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 1:12 pm

There's no doubt he's been great since coming back, and if it had happened earlier we could well be in a better position.

Play on? Sure, but I do have one or two concerns which are mainly around the contract amount and taking a spot in the 30 squad if he is never going to be played in ISP. But if he is not after massive coin and we can fit in another hooker on small money there are probably few excuses left to say "no".

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 1:17 pm

He has been abig difference for us & deserves to go around again.

I hope Benji does as well with the both of them having a signature send off season.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 1:42 pm

My thoughts on both Farah and Benji going around again in 2019 are linked to our recruitment. If we jag some real class I am happy for them to go, but if we sign the usual journeymen, I think we will definitely need both to run around again. Our stocks are not great in the spine

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 11:49 pm

Robbie is facing his fourth South's coach - could be a record for a Tiger's player
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 9:01 am

I wonder if Robbie is having second thoughts now with Cleary gone? I'm sure there were some mutterings about him only signing on for next year if Cleary was coach ?

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 1:47 pm

From Madge's latest release.
Maguire in for long haul at Tigers, expecting success

Madge and Robbie
Maguire faced a coaching conundrum in his final year at South Sydney with two quality hookers in Robbie Farah and Damien Cook chasing a starting spot.

He rotated the pair throughout the year in contrast to his successor Anthony Seibold, who used Cook as an 80-minute player and kept Farah in the Intrust Super Premiership before he was granted a mid-season release. Farah returned to the Tigers while Cook went on to win the Kangaroos No.9 jersey.

Maguire will reunite with Farah in potentially the veteran rake's final season in the Telstra Premiership.

"I really commend Robbie, the way he conducted himself and helped build someone like Damien Cook; he's played a big part in the reasons why Cookie is where he is and he jumped on board with everything we were doing at the time," Maguire said.

"I'm looking forward to coaching him again, we've text messaged each other back and forth. Robbie's a man that breathes success and when you've got people like that around you and how you get to that is by how we come together."
---------------------------------------------------

I doubt that Madge will give Farah a hard time to begin with - he should be able to get his 300 games up honourably all in a constructive manner with Liddle plugged in as well.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 6:35 pm

Liddle to be injured the majority of the year. Bet he plays 4 cameos off the bench max.

Hope to be proven wrong.

Trumpy
Let's make the Tigers great again!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 6:58 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 12 Nov, 2018 1:47 pm

Maguire will reunite with Farah in potentially the veteran rake's final season in the Telstra Premiership.

"I really commend Robbie, the way he conducted himself and helped build someone like Damien Cook; he's played a big part in the reasons why Cookie is where he is and he jumped on board with everything we were doing at the time," Maguire said.

"I'm looking forward to coaching him again, we've text messaged each other back and forth. Robbie's a man that breathes success and when you've got people like that around you and how you get to that is by how we come together."

Its really not that hard to keep an ego in check. The words he uses here are pretty select " a man that breathes success"

Stroke the ego and reap the rewards.

Maguire will pick the best team, if that doesnt include Farah they will sort it out in house. He is not about to and i doubt ever will slag him off in the media.

Its a much more professional way for a coach to conduct himself.
Its an opinion!

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 5:25 pm

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/26/new ... ers-exile/

New NRL roster system will prevent Farah-style Tigers exile
Author
Brad Walter
NRL.com Senior Reporter

Coaches will no longer be able to exile big-name players in a bid to encourage them to leave under changes to the NRL roster system requiring each club to finalise a 29-man squad by March 1.

The changes also make it more difficult for Todd Carney or Dave Taylor to return to the NRL this season, although clubs do not have to add the 30th and final player to their roster until June 30 and some plan to leave a spot for a mid-season signing.

Robbie Farah is the most well-documented example in recent years of a star player on big money being unwanted by his coach and repeatedly overlooked for first-grade selection.

Despite being the NSW State of Origin hooker in 2016, Farah played just six NRL matches for the Wests Tigers as Jason Taylor chose Dene Halatau, Matt Ballin, Elijah Taylor, Kyle Lovett, Manaia Cherrington and Jacob Liddle in the dummy-half role.

Under the new system, which was agreed upon as part of the collective bargaining agreement with the RLPA, each club must select 29 players for their NRL squad by March 1 and 30 players by June 30, who are included in the $9.4 million salary cap.

The increase in roster sizes, from 25 players in previous seasons, coincides with the abolition of the second-tier salary cap and means coaches cannot call on players outside their NRL squads without dispensation from the salary cap auditor.

To receive approval to use a player from the NSW or Queensland state leagues, a club will need to convince the NRL salary cap auditor they do not have anyone available in their top squad capable of playing his position.

This means few players would get a chance in first grade from outside an NRL squad, as Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs winger Marcelo Montoya – the club's leading tryscorer in 2017 – did in round three last season.

Eventually, the roster restructure could lead to a genuine second-tier competition in NSW to mirror Queensland's Intrust Super Cup, in which all teams are run independently of NRL clubs.

As a result, Carney has been signed by the Cairns-based Northern Pride and Taylor was recruited by the Central Queensland Capras to play in the Intrust Super Cup – not as a back-up for any NRL club.

With NRL clubs not needing to finalise their 30-man squads until June 30, they would be able to negotiate a deal for Carney or Taylor before then if they believe they would boost their roster.

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles officials say they will not need to seek an exemption and will meet Thursday's deadline to finalise their 29-man roster, despite the club's salary cap issues which prevented them from bidding for Trent Hodkinson earlier this month.

The most significant difference to the new roster system is the increase in the size of each club's NRL squad, with the minimum wage for players 1-26 being $100,000 per year and players 27-30 guaranteed to earn 70,000 per year.

The decision to increase NRL squads is aimed at providing stability for those five players who were previously on second-tier contracts as only three clubs – the Bulldogs, St George Illawarra Dragons and Canberra Raiders – used only 25 players last season.

Gold Coast Titans used 34 players, while North Queensland Cowboys used 32, Melbourne Storm and Newcastle Knights used 31 and South Sydney Rabbitohs, Wests Tigers and New Zealand Warriors each used 30.

According to NRL.com Stats, clubs had an average of 4.9 players unavailable for selection through injury each match, with the Cowboys averaging 7.19 unavailable players per game.

Each club is also allowed three-to-six players on a development list, who can be paid up to $60,000 each but are not permitted to play in the Telstra Premiership without approval from the salary cap auditor.

This is only likely to be granted if the club does not have any player in their 30-man NRL squad capable of playing a certain position and wants to use one of the rookies.

Players on a development contract for two years are entitled to an annual 10 per cent salary cap discount for the duration of their careers provided they remain with that club.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 6:51 pm

Finger on the pulse BBF.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 8:25 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 6:51 pm
Finger on the pulse BBF.
Considering this part:
Despite being the NSW State of Origin hooker in 2016, Farah played just six NRL matches for the Wests Tigers as Jason Taylor chose Dene Halatau, Matt Ballin, Elijah Taylor, Kyle Lovett, Manaia Cherrington and Jacob Liddle in the dummy-half role.
----------------------
It is a wonder that Jason did not throw a guernsey on himself and have a go. It is amazing in a way that this rule has come in. At least it gives season ticket buyers and sponsors certainty as to what they are paying for.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 8:51 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 8:25 pm
gallagher wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 6:51 pm
Finger on the pulse BBF.
Considering this part:
----------------------
It is a wonder that Jason did not throw a guernsey on himself and have a go. It is amazing in a way that this rule has come in. At least it gives season ticket buyers and sponsors certainty as to what they are paying for.
The article was from Feb, hence my finger on the pulse comment. .
And it didn't stop Farah playing reserve grade this year.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 9:46 pm

hahha I had no idea - better late than never. I thought it a bit strange getting a compliment from you.

And the guy who took "his" first grade spot should have been playing reserve grade in the second half of season instead of him. If the Bunnies had kept Farah I think they would have went better in the Finals.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 9:59 pm

Hey BBF - lets hope Robbie is celebrating with a few bottles of Moet instead of a few cans of Tooheys on the scoreboard again.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 10:09 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 9:59 pm
Hey BBF - lets hope Robbie is celebrating with a few bottles of Moet instead of a few cans of Tooheys on the scoreboard again.
yeah. When seeing that pic again it makes me understand why he sort of felt strange coming back onto Leichhardt oval. I also thought of the parade of DHs that have attempted to take his place - where are they now. I hope Liddle finally comes good.

Weren't the tigers getting thrashed at that half time mark when he was on the scoreboard but it does not show it? Maybe was on the top part of the board that the pic did not pick up.