The LEICHHARDT Myth

Wests Tigers Discussion
LCA
Member
Member
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Liechardt Myth

Post by LCA » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 7:01 pm

steve-o wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:41 am
It’s hard to disagree Needaname. The crowds that turn up to Brookvale and Shark Park have historically annoyed me because I’ve always felt like the fans that go there are not really rugby league fans... it’s just an event on their social calendar. Sadly I think Leichhardt is heading the same way.
No, I disagree. From my vantage point of Bay 2 in the main stand, watching the crowd thronging away from the hill with 15min to go, it was clear that it was the diehard (probably Balmain) Tigers fans who had just been disappointed (again) by the outcome of another crunch game at Leichhardt.

I agree fully with the thinking that the impact of LO is overrated on the performance of the team. But that doesn't detract from the "experience" of being at LO on a Sunday arvo. I know the expectations of the fans are raised by the LO impact on outcome, but there's precious little evidence to support it. But it's still a great thing to be a part of.

In my member allocated seats in Bay 2, I just saw the rusted-on Wests Tigers fans. No "event seekers". No wanna-be's just there for the thrill of it....why would you bother? It was the heart and soul of the club. They, and we, deserve better than what we got in terms of the result. But, will it change anything....? I don't think so.


formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4093
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 7:35 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 05 Jul, 2018 2:07 pm
formerguest wrote:
Thu 05 Jul, 2018 1:43 pm
Geo. wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:00 pm
Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 2:31 pm


Last year Titans beat us at Campbelltown, almost exactly a year ago (23/6/17) Crowd 9000
Can we get the last 3 years..Id say win/losses would be fairly even at both suburban home grounds..
Geo, can you please fix the thread title as it is doing my head in every time that I see it.
Ok m8
Thanks. It is still the terrible first effort at the top of a new page, but at least we don't see it in the recent topics list all the time.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 9:29 pm

Glennb wrote:
Thu 05 Jul, 2018 4:05 pm
tsjonathan wrote:
Thu 05 Jul, 2018 3:26 pm
do the tigers have any chance to make the 8 anymore in 2018?
Mathematically....yes
Realistically....no
Historically....no

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4057
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:04 pm

Our winning percentage is better at LO than any other ground.
There was no atmosphere at ANZ . That’s was quite a depressing loss at ANZ
in Ivan we distrust

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:11 pm

9,000 at the white elephant ANZ between two big Sydney clubs.

it was dead set like being at a funeral and a horrible look for the game.


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29571
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:22 pm

If there was 9k there I'll eat a turd
4k max

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1988
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:26 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:11 pm
9,000 at the white elephant ANZ between two big Sydney clubs.

it was dead set like being at a funeral and a horrible look for the game.
The game don’t care!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:34 pm

Crowds are bad this year. Would have Belmore got more? They got 7k to an afternoon game there this year.
It's a big issue for the NRL.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:34 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:22 pm
If there was 9k there I'll eat a turd
4k max
I thought around 7 at best.

And people think we should move all our games out there?

Its a shocking loo for the whole game when you get 7k at a 80 000 seat white elephant.

Way more excited about the new West Sydney Stadium a purpose built Rugby League Ground.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:38 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:34 pm
Crowds are bad this year. Would have Belmore got more? They got 7k to an afternoon game there this year.
It's a big issue for the NRL.
Belmore might not have not many more or less but it would have looked far better for the product.

Its embarrassing to have 9K (allegedly) at an 80,000 seat stadium.

I know your a big fan of the big stadiums but ANZ is not the answer for our club. Our fans dont go there in big numbers.

Boutique 30k stadiums are probably the answer.

Improve the suburban grounds to that level or we need another ground like the Western Sydney one in the East.

Its more engaging and a better look for the product.

The NRL obviously have zero care factor for crowds with their garbage schedule though. Crowds have not grown in 15-20 years. Despite playing heaps of games at big stadiums.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:45 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:38 pm
gallagher wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:34 pm
Crowds are bad this year. Would have Belmore got more? They got 7k to an afternoon game there this year.
It's a big issue for the NRL.
Belmore might not have not many more or less but it would have looked far better for the product.

Its embarrassing to have 9K (allegedly) at an 80,000 seat stadium.

I know your a big fan of the big stadiums but ANZ is not the answer for our club. Our fans dont go there in big numbers.

Boutique 30k stadiums are probably the answer.

Improve the suburban grounds to that level or we need another ground like the Western Sydney one in the East.

Its more engaging and a better look for the product.

The NRL obviously have zero care factor for crowds with their garbage schedule though. Crowds have not grown in 15-20 years. Despite playing heaps of games at big stadiums.
I don't want to go to ANZ either, WSS is the obvious choice.
On Sydney crowds, I'd argue that the two clubs that moved fulltime to ANZ have increased their crowds. Even our crowd ave increased moving some games there.
Scheduling is the problem tho. 7k at ANZ is no worse than an empty hill at Brookie or Belmore.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:54 pm

I dont buy into that fully. Bulldogs and Souths have been in Grand Finals over the past 5 years. It also depends heavily on the success of the team. Bulldogs fans are not interested this season. Why? Because their team sucks - simple as that. Thats why there was no one there on Friday Night.

ANZ cherry pick the biggest games between Sydney rivals every year - you know that. So of course they get bigger crowds on average then when Belmore or Leichhardt gets the Titans or Cowboys or Raiders or Warriors.

Sure we got 25K v Souths - Souths are top of the table so fair enough -makes sense to play big games there if there is no better option. But there is no way we draw 17K to ANZ for the Titans Game? Or nearly 14K on a Thursday Night to play there Cowboys?

What is a better spectacle for players and fans and the product itself 15K in 20K stadium or 15K in a 80000 Stadium?

ANZ is not an attraction for Tigers fans is my argument - and its not a good look for the game. The game needs more 25-30K seat stadiums that are Rubgy League Stadium. Not a white elephant Olympic Stadium that is a soulless place.

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4057
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 8:48 pm

It's hard for a fan to yell out and try to lift the team when your a lone voice in an empty cavity
in Ivan we distrust

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5175
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:37 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:54 pm
I dont buy into that fully. Bulldogs and Souths have been in Grand Finals over the past 5 years. It also depends heavily on the success of the team. Bulldogs fans are not interested this season. Why? Because their team sucks - simple as that. Thats why there was no one there on Friday Night.

ANZ cherry pick the biggest games between Sydney rivals every year - you know that. So of course they get bigger crowds on average then when Belmore or Leichhardt gets the Titans or Cowboys or Raiders or Warriors.

Sure we got 25K v Souths - Souths are top of the table so fair enough -makes seeing nse to play big games there if there is no better option. But there is no way we draw 17K to ANZ for the Titans Game? Or nearly 14K on a Thursday Night to play there Cowboys?

What is a better spectacle for players and fans and the product itself 15K in 20K stadium or 15K in a 80000 Stadium?

ANZ is not an attraction for Tigers fans is my argument - and its not a good look for the game. The game needs more 25-30K seat stadiums that are Rubgy League Stadium. Not a white elephant Olympic Stadium that is a soulless place.
And you would not believe it that stadium your taking about comes on line in 6 months ..go figure . Have the Tigers management got the right stuff to finally move this club into the future ...probable not ,always living in the past .

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5164
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:44 pm

Snake wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:37 pm
Eddie wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:54 pm
I dont buy into that fully. Bulldogs and Souths have been in Grand Finals over the past 5 years. It also depends heavily on the success of the team. Bulldogs fans are not interested this season. Why? Because their team sucks - simple as that. Thats why there was no one there on Friday Night.

ANZ cherry pick the biggest games between Sydney rivals every year - you know that. So of course they get bigger crowds on average then when Belmore or Leichhardt gets the Titans or Cowboys or Raiders or Warriors.

Sure we got 25K v Souths - Souths are top of the table so fair enough -makes seeing nse to play big games there if there is no better option. But there is no way we draw 17K to ANZ for the Titans Game? Or nearly 14K on a Thursday Night to play there Cowboys?

What is a better spectacle for players and fans and the product itself 15K in 20K stadium or 15K in a 80000 Stadium?

ANZ is not an attraction for Tigers fans is my argument - and its not a good look for the game. The game needs more 25-30K seat stadiums that are Rubgy League Stadium. Not a white elephant Olympic Stadium that is a soulless place.
And you would not believe it that stadium your taking about comes on line in 6 months ..go figure . Have the Tigers management got the right stuff to finally move this club into the future ...probable not ,always living in the past .
They still have a further 5 year contract with ANZ. Both stadiums are owned by the SG, whether they will transfer the contract to WSS is an unknown to us. Certainly they would during the renovations.

Not always as easy as it seems.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:54 pm

I would have no problems with moving the club to WSS full-time if they go that way. Its a purpose built Rugby League Stadium at the right size which will have a great atmosphere. I would prefer a few games at Leichhardt because I believe it is a huge positive for the club in terms of the crowds they get there, the overall win percentage and the supporters that go there every year. Its like an event. ANZ and Ctown I would say goodbye too.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5175
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:56 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:44 pm
Snake wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:37 pm
Eddie wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:54 pm
I dont buy into that fully. Bulldogs and Souths have been in Grand Finals over the past 5 years. It also depends heavily on the success of the team. Bulldogs fans are not interested this season. Why? Because their team sucks - simple as that. Thats why there was no one there on Friday Night.

ANZ cherry pick the biggest games between Sydney rivals every year - you know that. So of course they get bigger crowds on average then when Belmore or Leichhardt gets the Titans or Cowboys or Raiders or Warriors.

Sure we got 25K v Souths - Souths are top of the table so fair enough -makes seeing nse to play big games there if there is no better option. But there is no way we draw 17K to ANZ for the Titans Game? Or nearly 14K on a Thursday Night to play there Cowboys?

What is a better spectacle for players and fans and the product itself 15K in 20K stadium or 15K in a 80000 Stadium?

ANZ is not an attraction for Tigers fans is my argument - and its not a good look for the game. The game needs more 25-30K seat stadiums that are Rubgy League Stadium. Not a white elephant Olympic Stadium that is a soulless place.
And you would not believe it that stadium your taking about comes on line in 6 months ..go figure . Have the Tigers management got the right stuff to finally move this club into the future ...probable not ,always living in the past .
They still have a further 5 year contract with ANZ. Both stadiums are owned by the SG, whether they will transfer the contract to WSS is an unknown to us. Certainly they would during the renovations.

Not always as easy as it seems.
I thought that the government bought out the leasing agent of ANZ rendering all clubs contracts null and void moving forward ...probable wrong .

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5164
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:00 pm

Snake wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:56 pm
Russell wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:44 pm
Snake wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 9:37 pm
Eddie wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:54 pm
I dont buy into that fully. Bulldogs and Souths have been in Grand Finals over the past 5 years. It also depends heavily on the success of the team. Bulldogs fans are not interested this season. Why? Because their team sucks - simple as that. Thats why there was no one there on Friday Night.

ANZ cherry pick the biggest games between Sydney rivals every year - you know that. So of course they get bigger crowds on average then when Belmore or Leichhardt gets the Titans or Cowboys or Raiders or Warriors.

Sure we got 25K v Souths - Souths are top of the table so fair enough -makes seeing nse to play big games there if there is no better option. But there is no way we draw 17K to ANZ for the Titans Game? Or nearly 14K on a Thursday Night to play there Cowboys?

What is a better spectacle for players and fans and the product itself 15K in 20K stadium or 15K in a 80000 Stadium?

ANZ is not an attraction for Tigers fans is my argument - and its not a good look for the game. The game needs more 25-30K seat stadiums that are Rubgy League Stadium. Not a white elephant Olympic Stadium that is a soulless place.
And you would not believe it that stadium your taking about comes on line in 6 months ..go figure . Have the Tigers management got the right stuff to finally move this club into the future ...probable not ,always living in the past .
They still have a further 5 year contract with ANZ. Both stadiums are owned by the SG, whether they will transfer the contract to WSS is an unknown to us. Certainly they would during the renovations.

Not always as easy as it seems.
I thought that the government bought out the leasing agent of ANZ rendering all clubs contracts null and void moving forward ...probable wrong .
That was the answer I got off Pascoe on the most recent Q & A, Snake.

Post Reply