The LEICHHARDT Myth

Wests Tigers Discussion
Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: The Liechardt Myth

Post by Glennb » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:59 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:53 pm
Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:47 pm
gallagher wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:15 pm

60% win rate doesnt offset the money we lose by playing there.
Whilst we are averaging 15K, we are NOT losing money there. Simply not true.
Not this year no. 12k average over 19 seasons though is true.
Yep and that would be break even this year (not sure what previous years, assume cheaper).


gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4919
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:08 pm

Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:59 pm
gallagher wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:53 pm
Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:47 pm
gallagher wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:15 pm

60% win rate doesnt offset the money we lose by playing there.
Whilst we are averaging 15K, we are NOT losing money there. Simply not true.
Not this year no. 12k average over 19 seasons though is true.
Yep and that would be break even this year (not sure what previous years, assume cheaper).
A trail of CEO's have said we lose money playing there. But lets go on your break even.
So youre happy with 60% win ratio and breaking even every year? What lofty goals you expect from the club.
As I said before, enjoy missing the 8 year after year. We know thats what they will deliver.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2435
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:15 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:33 pm
Russell wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 3:53 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:44 pm
Russell wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:43 am


That's crap and you know it.
Gee... You really proved me wrong Russell.
We've had people on here admit they only attend one venue... Don't know why you cannot accept it
Your talking about 17,000 that were at Leichhardt not going to CSS - how do you know that?

However you state a few people on here don't go to CSS ????

I'll accept it if you can give me the evidence that the 17,000 yesterday won't go to CSS Ink.
No, Im not talking about 17,000, not all of them, a percentage....I didnt think that needed clarifying though if your argument is weak i guess youll try and twist things.
There is a %age of fans that dont...both ways
Its clear the inner west has a larger fan base going on crowd averages.
I was involved in Balmain JRL for over 10 years and many people I knew only attended LO, some had never been to a game at CSS, people here have admitted it.
Its obvious the fanbase is split, we have memberships that cater for this for christs sake.
Its as plain as the nose on your face.
We are supposed to be one but we are not...we go where it suits us, the club caters for this having many grounds and even more membership options.
If we ALL went to ALL the games at ALL the grounds then the figures would be roughly ALL the same, but theyre not.
You dont have to be Einstein to figure out why
:deadhorse:
There is truth in that. Will committ to Leichhardt games due to logistics - within walking distance.. Only time would consider CSS is a Sunday arvo preferably at 2pm.
I would assume that those living near CSS have similar challenges with Leichardt games.
Hats off to those who make it to all at both grounds but it is not feasible for me so I go to the games I can.

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:35 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:08 pm
A trail of CEO's have said we lose money playing there. But lets go on your break even.
Well this year will not be break even, we will make money same as previous two years. A trail of CEO's have said we lose money as opportunity cost as I explained previously but if we get more than 11K we do not lose money. Im not sure you understand how the ANZ deal works. Do you know how much extra money we would make if yesterdays game was at ANZ instead of Leichhardt and 60,000 people turned up? We would have LOST money. The deal with ANZ is a lump sum where as tenants the loss risk is transferred to them. They pay us $X and that is it, thats all we get and they collect and keep all takings. Doesnt matter if they get 80,000 or 5, Tigers get the same $X. Now $X is way more than they make out of playing at Leichhardt but that doesnt transfer because its not included in the deal.

As you say, a trail of CEO's have discussed this many times and assessed and renegotiated many times. Why do you think we still play out of Leichhardt & CSS? Not out of generosity. Every contract ANZ weigh it up because THEY take the risk. I have no idea what their break even is but they assess that they will lose $$ for Tigers V Titans so they are happy to let that go and Tigers carry the risk and have to get more than 11-12K to make it work.
gallagher wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:08 pm
So youre happy with 60% win ratio and breaking even every year? What lofty goals you expect from the club.
As I said before, enjoy missing the 8 year after year. We know thats what they will deliver.
Mate, I would sign up to a 60% win ratio today. We would be in top 4. As Ive explained the breaking even things is a furphy.
Last edited by Glennb on Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4919
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:39 pm

I'll leave it there then Glenn. I think youre on another planet.
Enjoy the season.


User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2427
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 8:55 pm

Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:25 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm
Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
I really dont get this thread. Doesnt make sense at all. It was a sell out, against an out of town team and people are bagging the crowd?

The only motivation I can see for this thread would be Magpies diehards who are defensive about the fact that Campbo crowds have been poor but that would be ridiculous. As a Tigers fan we should be happy about this surely?
Of course you would - why don't you actually read the OP's original post - it was nothing about crowds - it was about the false belief that the ground provides a fortress mentality for WT.
Why of course I would? This thread genuinely doesnt make sense.

I did read the OP. It was wrong. Since WT existed we have won 45 and lost 34. Compared to our overall success rate this is a stunning rate of victories. Our previous game there was a great crowd and a great victory. Again, this thread makes no sense.

Despite the OP post, this thread has somehow degenerated into criticising a full house at Leichhardt.

Please point out where this thread makes sense?
My point was it wasn't about crowds or which ground is better. Had you put forward this argument in the first place it would have been a well constructed argument against the OP:
Its closer to 60% at Leichhardt whereas Campbelltown & ANZ are a pretty steady 44%. That is a 50% greater chance of victory at Leichhardt which based on our crap win rate forever is a STUNNING victory rate. A veritable fortress.
Instead you posted this which was just a derogative remark which had no relation to the argument :
The only motivation I can see for this thread would be Magpies diehards who are defensive about the fact that Campbo crowds have been poor but that would be ridiculous. As a Tigers fan we should be happy about this surely?

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 9:52 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 8:55 pm
Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:25 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm
Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
I really dont get this thread. Doesnt make sense at all. It was a sell out, against an out of town team and people are bagging the crowd?

The only motivation I can see for this thread would be Magpies diehards who are defensive about the fact that Campbo crowds have been poor but that would be ridiculous. As a Tigers fan we should be happy about this surely?
Of course you would - why don't you actually read the OP's original post - it was nothing about crowds - it was about the false belief that the ground provides a fortress mentality for WT.
Why of course I would? This thread genuinely doesnt make sense.

I did read the OP. It was wrong. Since WT existed we have won 45 and lost 34. Compared to our overall success rate this is a stunning rate of victories. Our previous game there was a great crowd and a great victory. Again, this thread makes no sense.

Despite the OP post, this thread has somehow degenerated into criticising a full house at Leichhardt.

Please point out where this thread makes sense?
My point was it wasn't about crowds or which ground is better. Had you put forward this argument in the first place it would have been a well constructed argument against the OP:
Its closer to 60% at Leichhardt whereas Campbelltown & ANZ are a pretty steady 44%. That is a 50% greater chance of victory at Leichhardt which based on our crap win rate forever is a STUNNING victory rate. A veritable fortress.
Instead you posted this which was just a derogative remark which had no relation to the argument :
The only motivation I can see for this thread would be Magpies diehards who are defensive about the fact that Campbo crowds have been poor but that would be ridiculous. As a Tigers fan we should be happy about this surely?
Well put DP. I genuinely wasnt trying to be a smart arse or be clever or anything. I was actually perplexed to the point of the thread and struggling to see the motivation behind it. That last paragraph was and is genuinely the only reason I could see for people arguing. I can see that my last paragraph may have been inflammatory and I genuinely didnt mean that. I think I have set Gallaghers defence mechanism off as well and I can see why. Again, genuinely didnt mean it. Kudos for explaining yourself in a reasoned manner.

Glennb
Member
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Glennb » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 9:55 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:39 pm
I'll leave it there then Glenn. I think youre on another planet.
Enjoy the season.
Happy to leave it there if you like Gallagher and please believe me I am genuinely trying to discuss this reasonably without malice or arguing personally. Would be happy for you to refute any of my points where it explains your point of view.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4919
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:35 pm

Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 9:52 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 8:55 pm
Glennb wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:25 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:14 pm


Of course you would - why don't you actually read the OP's original post - it was nothing about crowds - it was about the false belief that the ground provides a fortress mentality for WT.
Why of course I would? This thread genuinely doesnt make sense.

I did read the OP. It was wrong. Since WT existed we have won 45 and lost 34. Compared to our overall success rate this is a stunning rate of victories. Our previous game there was a great crowd and a great victory. Again, this thread makes no sense.

Despite the OP post, this thread has somehow degenerated into criticising a full house at Leichhardt.

Please point out where this thread makes sense?
My point was it wasn't about crowds or which ground is better. Had you put forward this argument in the first place it would have been a well constructed argument against the OP:
Its closer to 60% at Leichhardt whereas Campbelltown & ANZ are a pretty steady 44%. That is a 50% greater chance of victory at Leichhardt which based on our crap win rate forever is a STUNNING victory rate. A veritable fortress.
Instead you posted this which was just a derogative remark which had no relation to the argument :
The only motivation I can see for this thread would be Magpies diehards who are defensive about the fact that Campbo crowds have been poor but that would be ridiculous. As a Tigers fan we should be happy about this surely?
Well put DP. I genuinely wasnt trying to be a smart arse or be clever or anything. I was actually perplexed to the point of the thread and struggling to see the motivation behind it. That last paragraph was and is genuinely the only reason I could see for people arguing. I can see that my last paragraph may have been inflammatory and I genuinely didnt mean that. I think I have set Gallaghers defence mechanism off as well and I can see why. Again, genuinely didnt mean it. Kudos for explaining yourself in a reasoned manner.
No defensive mechanism Glenn. I dont think we should be playing at CSS either. Neither are NRL standard IMO.
I base my opinion on multiple CEO's ssying thst we lose money when we get crowds of 12k.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4448
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:39 pm

As someone has already mentioned some people need to get to the loo urgently, no queues and no mobile toilets.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:56 pm

Like it, don't like makes no difference. If the club puts games on there I'm going.

Remember one year maybe 2007 early in the year, was away for work drove home 6hrs a Saturday, picked the family up and we drove out to LO. It was pissing down, we lost the game but we had a great day. Kids still talk about it. We drove home in our undies wrapped in beach towels and blankets we were soaked.

We're tigers supporters. When life gives you lemons we make lemonade.

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by sideline eye » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 11:01 pm

criwdfluffer wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 11:13 pm
sideline eye wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 11:01 pm
from my seat at CSS, in the western stand, I can see every part of the field. Why do people want to stand on a sloping paddock with very limited views to watch a game? Atmosphere? I'd call it torture and if I want to see my team get flogged, I'd rather do it in some comfort.

Now, what was that about a fortress?


Well 17k people enjoyed it.


And im sure they will again.


But yeah stay at home where its more comforable you flog.
I didn't realise that you were so childish, having to resort to name calling to back up your point... if you have one to make. By the way, I don't sit at home watching, I go to every game at CSS and ANZ and travel 200-250 kilometres to do it but I grew out of outdated facilities many years ago.

Back to the real point, you say that there was crowd of 17000 who enjoyed watching the display of football garbage put on by the Wests Tigers on Sunday? I'd say the majority of the crowd won't be back again after that.

Best wishes,
The Flog

magpiecol
Member
Member
Posts: 2997
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by magpiecol » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 12:10 am

TIGER wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 5:01 pm
:twisted:
Snake wrote:
Sun 01 Jul, 2018 4:37 pm
Finally can the Myth of Liechtdardt oval be put to bed as a fortress and other teams hate playing there....this truely is false and somewhat of a Myth!
Wash your mouth out.
It's the greatest place to be on earth
You poor bugger.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:11 am

Are we tigers supporters?
Or are we Leichhardt supporters.

I think the point being made here is that Leichhardt has become a place for an event. Not a game of football.

I grew up in the inner west and guys from my schooling years would not have the tigers as their 1st choice team.
However, they all flock to Leichhardt for that nostalgic Sunday game.
There are the diehards there don’t get me wrong.

But I agree that the crowd is full of people more satisfied with having cans on the hill and watching footy than being their to support the tigers.

Difference between Campbelltown and Leichhardt.
Everyone goes there for the team.
Crowds might be less, but they are there for the football.
You can tell in when the team list is named. Everyone claps and cheers and yahoos, same goes at ANZ. But at Leichhardt it’s like your surrounded by people that don’t even know the team.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27997
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:25 am

Needaname wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:11 am
Are we tigers supporters?
Or are we Leichhardt supporters.

I think the point being made here is that Leichhardt has become a place for an event. Not a game of football.

I grew up in the inner west and guys from my schooling years would not have the tigers as their 1st choice team.
However, they all flock to Leichhardt for that nostalgic Sunday game.
There are the diehards there don’t get me wrong.

But I agree that the crowd is full of people more satisfied with having cans on the hill and watching footy than being their to support the tigers.

Difference between Campbelltown and Leichhardt.
Everyone goes there for the team.
Crowds might be less, but they are there for the football.
You can tell in when the team list is named. Everyone claps and cheers and yahoos, same goes at ANZ. But at Leichhardt it’s like your surrounded by people that don’t even know the team.
Hmmmmm yeh I think youre onto something needaname

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:32 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:25 am
Needaname wrote:
Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:11 am
Are we tigers supporters?
Or are we Leichhardt supporters.

I think the point being made here is that Leichhardt has become a place for an event. Not a game of football.

I grew up in the inner west and guys from my schooling years would not have the tigers as their 1st choice team.
However, they all flock to Leichhardt for that nostalgic Sunday game.
There are the diehards there don’t get me wrong.

But I agree that the crowd is full of people more satisfied with having cans on the hill and watching footy than being their to support the tigers.

Difference between Campbelltown and Leichhardt.
Everyone goes there for the team.
Crowds might be less, but they are there for the football.
You can tell in when the team list is named. Everyone claps and cheers and yahoos, same goes at ANZ. But at Leichhardt it’s like your surrounded by people that don’t even know the team.
Hmmmmm yeh I think youre onto something needaname
Yep he’s 100% right. We have our annual Sunday afternoon event where everyone flocks in.

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by steve-o » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 6:41 am

It’s hard to disagree Needaname. The crowds that turn up to Brookvale and Shark Park have historically annoyed me because I’ve always felt like the fans that go there are not really rugby league fans... it’s just an event on their social calendar. Sadly I think Leichhardt is heading the same way.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28449
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 9:37 am

don't see why that matters...the $$$$ are the same whether or not your there to watch the footy or discus the latest Latte flavour or get up to date on the breakthrough basket weaving techniques..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Post Reply