Luke's NRL dream garnering momentum..

Wests Tigers Discussion
Geo.

Re: Luke's NRL dream garnering momentum..

Post by Geo. » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:42 am

Bye bye Chee-Kam ...hello Garner
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:45 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:42 am
Bye bye Chee-Kam ...hello Garner
Did you warn Tacky and Hobbo first

It could be a bad week for Hobbo , loses MCK , England lose and then he chokes in both the LMS and Predict 6

Next thing someone will steal his Skyline

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:53 am

I sometimes wonder about this fascination with player weight - e.g. that Garner's profile says he's 94 kg and that's an issue.

Not just what steve-o already noted, that maybe his weight has shifted since pre-season, but also what weight is too small and what weight too big for any given player?

Dene Halatau's playing weight was around 95 kg and he was quite strong for being considered a smaller forward. Liam Fulton had the same playing weight and struggled his whole career with being ragdolled in attack.

Tim Grant is 110 kg and quite frankly lacks the power or in-tackle strength that Halatau used to display, despite being 15 kg heavier.

Cameron Munster only plays at 89 kg but I observe him to be unnaturally strong for a skinny-looking fellow. Cameron Smith plays at 92 kg and I've never observed him struggling for tackle strength (defence or attack) either.

Tyrone Peachey plays at 93 kg and has plenty of strength out wide; certainly has the tackle-breaking ability and frame of an edge backrower.

These weights are taken from wikipedia so not necessarily 100% accurate, but more to my point is why does it matter? If the bloke is observed to be powerful enough, dynamic enough, runs hard and tackles hard, proves himself a handful... weight is meaningless for fans?

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:58 am

I like this Guy,

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 12:15 pm

cktiger wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 9:58 am
steve-o wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 8:56 am
His profile says he’s only 94kg. Lawrence, Taylor and eisenhuth are all over 100kg for reference. Hopefully he’s already stacked on a few kilos since preseason, and will probably need to put on more. The last thing we need is another undersized forward.
Best of luck to him though. Hopefully he kills it.
Just going on looks you would say he was bigger than Taylor and Lawrence.. maybe the quoted weight was pre season?
Hope he gets a run as he puts in every week.
We are light on though, on the official site Twal is listed at 104kg and Matulino only 107kg - not really big for props.
The only one you would call a heavyweight is Packer at 119kg ... around my weight lol
I've never seen him, so I'll take your word that he looks bigger than Taylor and Lawrence (I wouldn't be surprised if their listed weights were inflated a bit). I assume the quoted weight was taken during the preseason, so hopefully he's put on more weight since then.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Snake

Post by Snake » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm

It’s not the weight it is being elusive that counts and running good lines and actually catching a ball and Garner fits the bill has a big motor in ISP that is .

Coasttiger

Post by Coasttiger » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 1:36 pm

He’s certainly been killing it in NSW cup and played well in the NSW residents game.
Hopefully he can hold his own at least if he gets a shot in NRL this week.
I for one hope he has a blinder if picked.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 1:41 pm

Goes well and has a rangy frame that makes him look a bit light and will handle a few extra kegs. I reckon he'll need them for NRL.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 1:48 pm

We could ask Geo to sacrifice some pies for Garner.

But I have been a big fan of him in ISP, full preseason will be good for his body.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 3:58 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
I sometimes wonder about this fascination with player weight - e.g. that Garner's profile says he's 94 kg and that's an issue.

Not just what steve-o already noted, that maybe his weight has shifted since pre-season, but also what weight is too small and what weight too big for any given player?

Dene Halatau's playing weight was around 95 kg and he was quite strong for being considered a smaller forward. Liam Fulton had the same playing weight and struggled his whole career with being ragdolled in attack.

Tim Grant is 110 kg and quite frankly lacks the power or in-tackle strength that Halatau used to display, despite being 15 kg heavier.

Cameron Munster only plays at 89 kg but I observe him to be unnaturally strong for a skinny-looking fellow. Cameron Smith plays at 92 kg and I've never observed him struggling for tackle strength (defence or attack) either.

Tyrone Peachey plays at 93 kg and has plenty of strength out wide; certainly has the tackle-breaking ability and frame of an edge backrower.

These weights are taken from wikipedia so not necessarily 100% accurate, but more to my point is why does it matter? If the bloke is observed to be powerful enough, dynamic enough, runs hard and tackles hard, proves himself a handful... weight is meaningless for fans?
I agree with you but the forum was pooh poohing the idea of signing a 91kg Pommy forward whilst seemingly overjoyed at Garner's elevation to the top 30. This contradiction was pointed out in another thread but nobody seems to see it. I know that Jason Bukuya only weighs in at less than 100kg but is a very strong backrower and there are many other examples. I'm looking forward to seeing Garner in NRL; he could be a great backrower in the making but may require some patience at his 22years.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 4:06 pm

If he can make more than 37m he's in.

Post by 851 » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 4:30 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 8:24 am
Well deserved been among the best week in week out in ISP...hard work pays off..give him a shot Ivan..

P.S. not a plodder..
I agree Geo, he has earned a shot, lets give him one this week.
Go hard or go home

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 5:04 pm

steve-o wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 12:15 pm
cktiger wrote:
steve-o wrote:
His profile says he’s only 94kg. Lawrence, Taylor and eisenhuth are all over 100kg for reference. Hopefully he’s already stacked on a few kilos since preseason, and will probably need to put on more. The last thing we need is another undersized forward.
Just going on looks you would say he was bigger than Taylor and Lawrence.. maybe the quoted weight was pre season?
We are light on though, on the official site Twal is listed at 104kg and Matulino only 107kg - not really big for props.
The only one you would call a heavyweight is Packer at 119kg ... around my weight lol
I've never seen him, so I'll take your word that he looks bigger than Taylor and Lawrence (I wouldn't be surprised if their listed weights were inflated a bit). I assume the quoted weight was taken during the preseason, so hopefully he's put on more weight since then.
If Elijah Taylor is over 100kgs, I'll eat a jiz sandwich at the next home game.....and smile while I'm doing it.....
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 5:22 pm

Swordy wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 5:04 pm
steve-o wrote:
cktiger wrote:
steve-o wrote:
If Elijah Taylor is over 100kgs, I'll eat a jiz sandwich at the next home game.....and smile while I'm doing it.....
cant edit it now

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 6:02 pm

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 5:22 pm
Swordy wrote:
Tue 10 Jul, 2018 5:04 pm
steve-o wrote:
cktiger wrote:

cant edit it now
You cruel, cruel man
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 6:24 pm

dragons pack may be a little tired physically and mentally this week, might be a good time for him to get a taste of nrl

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 6:39 pm

It’s never going to be easy, may as well be now for Garner

willow

Post by willow » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 6:42 pm

Hope he gets the chance to make his debut this season. I don't put too much credence in him weighing 94kg either, pretty confident he's similar in weight to Rowdy.