Re: Has this year been a success?

Post by jirskyr » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 2:02 pm

Silentio wrote:
Mon 03 Sep, 2018 2:04 pm
supercoach wrote:
Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:59 am
Silentio wrote:
Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:38 am
For all the talk of buses, culture and rebuilding, we only managed to equal 2016's Jason Taylor campaign.

What really worries me is that we seem to have turned into more of a schizophrenic carnival sideshow than a club.

While other clubs are powering ahead with Centres of Excellence and talent coming through the ranks, while we're operating from an old grandstand in the suburbs and seem to have hit a low in terms of player development.

I'm hopeful of things improving, but I'm calling a fail on 2018.
I think the player development thing has been recognised and is being addressed. Although things seem very quite in the recruitment for the NRL roster, we have been aggressively recruiting some of the best young talent, a kid from the knights and a couple from the Dogs with big raps.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but that approach might mean we're picking up the players that other clubs aren't interested in keeping. We might strike it lucky now and then (e.g Alex Twal) but it's not a great strategy.

Not long we had guys like Woods, Tedesco, Brooks, Moses, Nofoaluma coming through the ranks. Now we have a few development players who (with the greatest of respect) haven't yet set the world on fire. While it's not everything, our recent results in Jersey Flegg are abysmal and perhaps suggest we're still struggling.

Realistically we need to be a club that's developing good talent to be competitive. We're always going to struggle to attract superstars compared to the richer clubs.
How were the year-end results when we had guys like Woods, Tedesco, Brooks, Moses and Nofo coming through?

If our JF is abysmal, then sign kids from the good JF sides.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 2:41 pm

Considering our history the eight would’ve realisticallybeen a pass
But that’s an awfully low goal to aim at
I’m buggered if I know when we will have the 4 as a pass mark