Has this year been a success?

Wests Tigers Discussion
The Patriot

Re: Has this year been a success?

Post by The Patriot » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:03 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:00 pm
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Turns out Bus is his nickname for Nathan
Its an opinion!

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:03 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:00 pm
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
I’ll tag that on his garage door tonight
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:25 pm

after the 6th round ,I had my hard earned on the tigers making the top 8 and also the top 4.
it would appear ive done my dough at this stage.
although a lot of forumers do not consider this year a success, I think its been okay.
the way we finish in the last four games is important for supporters hopes for 2019.
four ho hum performances will push my opinion to the negative side.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:36 pm

Think all wheels on the bus just got punctured!!No fault of our own....
Greed and self interest from others...not unlike last year..and the year before...and..
Because of who we are were becoming a bit of a transit lounge....
BTW...Gould is totally unhinged and after Griffen tells all on Fox 360 tonite,it may well be the beginning of the end for this despot.No Cred, no integrity,and no premiership 8 yrs into his 5 year plan.....hes become bad for Panthers brand

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:42 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:36 pm
Think all wheels on the bus just got punctured!!No fault of our own....
Greed and self interest from others...not unlike last year..and the year before...and..
Because of who we are were becoming a bit of a transit lounge....
BTW...Gould is totally unhinged and after Griffen tells all on Fox 360 tonite,it may well be the beginning of the end for this despot.No Cred, no integrity,and no premiership 8 yrs into his 5 year plan.....hes become bad for Panthers brand
Gould is on his way out in my opinion - and Ivan, in his own mind, will be vindicated for his past sacking. Ivan and his chairman mate have hatched this grand plan and I wouldn't be surprised that Gould's retirement is the final twist!

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 8:56 am

Considering every one had us as W/spoon favourites, then to run ninth I say this year definitely has been a success.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:11 am

You can come up with any hog wash you like about how everyone had us backed for the spoon (which is funny in itself, because usually when tipped for the spoon we are so offended, this year we wear it as a badge of honour) but after the start we got off to, beating the premiers twice, and beating 2 other top 4 sides from last year, there was no excuse imploding the way we did. If someone told us after we put Manly to the sword at Brookie that we would not even finish in the 8, I think most at that stage would have considered that a fail given how far expectations were raised, and we were so in awe of our defence.

We only have ourselves to blame, going on and winning 2 of our next 11. We gave ourslves a chance in the run home, but our top 8 position should have already been cemented.

Aceshigh

Post by Aceshigh » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:16 am

I think we finished where the majority of supporters thought we would , 9th is not a bad effort with the cattle we have here obviously need to strengthen a couple of positions for next year and hopefully book our seat in the finals next year .

Earl

Post by Earl » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:18 am

This is a tough one but I don't see how this season can be viewed as a success as we aren't going to make the finals. Some of our big name signings have been poor. We also don't look convincing winners as we eek out wins. To be a quality side we have to put teams away.

I also think that there have been plenty of positives. We have had less drama than previous seasons and the players aren't sooks. We've played hard and defensively we've improved heaps. Brooks & Lawrence have been huge for us. Thompson & Mbye look like quality players. Some other players like Marsters & Chee-Kam have improved a lot. The team hasn't really been that bad. The lack of a hooker in the team killed us for a long period.

I think we have something to build on from here but we have to build our squad smartly. A couple of young kids who come good or a marquee signing or two and the team could move up the ladder.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:23 am

No finals yet again = fail. We may have improved in some areas but not enough. The main measure of success is winning games. We didn’t win enough.
As for next year - unless we attract 4 established 1st grade players we will go backwards.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:40 am

Good season with a very limited roster and no hooker and fullback for much of the season. I think if Farah, Mbye were there from round 1 we would be in the finals. With the injuries to Liddle and Reynolds we were really not good enough to challenge. Tui was poor as was ET/Goodinet at hooker and Rochow on the edge.

Too many haters on here our start was due to intense defensive effort no team can sustain that over a season it’s the reason the wheels fell off.

We need to recruit now to stop this from happening next year. Front Rower (Taupau), Edge Forward (Tapine/CHN), Centre (Feki/Rona) and we are a top 6 side.

We also need the Eisos, Rochows etc to help our NSW Cup side where they belong not first grade.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:43 am

TYGA wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:40 am
Good season with a very limited roster and no hooker and fullback for much of the season. I think if Farah, Mbye were there from round 1 we would be in the finals. With the injuries to Liddle and Reynolds we were really not good enough to challenge. Tui was poor as was ET/Goodinet at hooker and Rochow on the edge.

Too many haters on here our start was due to intense defensive effort no team can sustain that over a season it’s the reason the wheels fell off.

We need to recruit now to stop this from happening next year. Front Rower (Taupau), Edge Forward (Tapine/CHN), Centre (Feki/Rona) and we are a top 6 side.

We also need the Eisos, Rochows etc to help our NSW Cup side where they belong not first grade.
Yes :righton:

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:19 am

We had cap and roster room for the first time in yonks and had achieved a good pass mark for the season’s early period, even without a hooker and our biggest spine signing. Then the wheels fell off.

We are not one of the half of the entrants playing finals, so clearly a fail.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:26 am

A good season in my opinion, played above our potential with the players we had and ended up on the ladder higher than "the experts predicted".

We won many games at the start due to our defence and because we started well - some teams start slowly and build. I think this is all part of the reason we won some of those games. You can't sustain defence like that for the season.

We had a few injuries - definite problems with DH through injury, no x-factor at fullback and at 5/8 due to this as well. We played the best DH's we had until Farah became available but I wouldn't say we would have won any more games if he had been here at the start of the year. May have won less as he has definitely stifled Brooks in the last few games - that is all academic now of course.

However we all know (it has been stated over and over again throughout the season by just about everyone on the Forum) that we need a few class players to take us up to the next level.

I am happy we achieved what we did this year (not accepting mediocrity) with the limited cattle, the injuries to key players and some very dud calls from certain referees during the year. Don't think we could have done much better all things considered.

Looking forward to the new signings when they are announced and looking forward to 2019.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:26 am

I think its a PASS. We have achieved more than exected on a the back of a start to the season that no one saw coming.

If I was to mark it, I'd give it a B-.

At the start of the year, me and everyone else might have given us a D at best.

Clubs don't get built in 10 games.

I would give other clubs like Cowboys, Eels, Raiders all FAILS. Even the Panthers, if they lose the last game go into the FAIl category for me, and they still make the finals.

I challenge a single person to tell me honestly they ranked the Tigers at 9th when the year began.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:34 am

When I think of it poor Jacob Liddle may have wrecked his shoulders at DH and now understandably has stage fright against the big guys. A major calamity for the future.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:45 am

TYGA wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:40 am

X2 this is spot on losing our hooker was a key reason we lost so many mid season

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:48 am

Swordy wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:26 am
I think its a PASS. We have achieved more than exected on a the back of a start to the season that no one saw coming.

If I was to mark it, I'd give it a B-.

At the start of the year, me and everyone else might have given us a D at best.

Clubs don't get built in 10 games.

I would give other clubs like Cowboys, Eels, Raiders all FAILS. Even the Panthers, if they lose the last game go into the FAIl category for me, and they still make the finals.

I challenge a single person to tell me honestly they ranked the Tigers at 9th when the year began.
I just read through a thread from the start of the year. I tipped 7th spot.

Another failed year IMO.