Has this year been a success?

Wests Tigers Discussion
Spud Murphy

Re: Has this year been a success?

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 3:01 pm

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if Reynolds was fit and firing with us from the start and played all season at 5/8 we would've made the 8.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 3:04 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 2:49 pm
If you can name a roster that is in the eight thats weaker than ours then I could understand those calling it a fail.
There are three other teams that are below us that at the beginning of the year based on their roster and their performance would have been considered by most to be in the top eight this year in Canberra, Cowboys, and Parramatta. I can understand how their year could be considered a failure.
Our year may not have been as successful as we had hoped but to call it a failure is a kick in the guts to the players in our squad who played well above expectation to remain in it right up until rd 26.
There is not a team in the competition that hasnt lost games to teams that were below them on the table such was nature of the comp this year. We did great with the roster we had and that is why its very frustrating that their is a level of uncertainty about our future with Cleary cause we need to build on the respect we earned this year by recruiting well to take our team another step forward.
Well said.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 3:24 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 3:04 pm
Telltails wrote:
If you can name a roster that is in the eight thats weaker than ours then I could understand those calling it a fail.
There are three other teams that are below us that at the beginning of the year based on their roster and their performance would have been considered by most to be in the top eight this year in Canberra, Cowboys, and Parramatta. I can understand how their year could be considered a failure.
Our year may not have been as successful as we had hoped but to call it a failure is a kick in the guts to the players in our squad who played well above expectation to remain in it right up until rd 26.
There is not a team in the competition that hasnt lost games to teams that were below them on the table such was nature of the comp this year. We did great with the roster we had and that is why its very frustrating that their is a level of uncertainty about our future with Cleary cause we need to build on the respect we earned this year by recruiting well to take our team another step forward.
Well said.
x2

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 4:48 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 3:24 pm
Russell wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 3:04 pm
Telltails wrote:
Well said.
x2
+1

Before we played a match, how many supporters pictured us in 9th at the end of the season? How many figured we'd win as many as we did out of the first 6 matches? Those first seasons wins lifted everyones expectations and then injury and the grind brought us back to the ground. I think we did well.
"Quality Stupidity"

Post by 851 » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm

Watching the dogs rip saints apart, I wonder, why everyone is beating saints now, yet we couldn't even do it with a packed home crowd and season on the line last week :brick:
Last edited by 851 on Sun 26 Aug, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go hard or go home

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 5:17 pm

Not happy with ninth.
If Cleary is here next year and we sign up grades on sue and kev preferably with a big name aswell I would say that will be a pass

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 5:35 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm
Watching the dogs rip saints apart, I wonder, why everyone is beating saints now, yet we couldn't even do it with a packed home crowd abd season on the line last week :brick:
Yep, failed there too.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 6:32 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm
Watching the dogs rip saints apart, I wonder, why everyone is beating saints now, yet we couldn't even do it with a packed home crowd and season on the line last week :brick:
We were all over Saints. We dropped our bundle old fashioned choke. We did it against a the Raiders in 2016. Team not used to competing for finals in big games.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 6:49 pm

Next year success? Finals or bust.
"Quality Stupidity"

Post by 851 » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:07 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 6:49 pm
Next year success? Finals or bust.
We are now the team with the longest finals drought, another gong to our collection. :(
Go hard or go home

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:26 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 11:17 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:34 am
When I think of it poor Jacob Liddle may have wrecked his shoulders at DH and now understandably has stage fright against the big guys. A major calamity for the future.
Yeah AND so we should talk Farah into playing again.

You cannot be objective with Liddle because you are blinded by Farah.

Like a deer in the headlights. lol
I was trying to understand what may have scared Jacob from taking on that Sea Eagle on the line a few days ago. I had absolutely nothing else in mind. You had assured me that the old block was splintering but the new one maybe only made of balsa and not ironbark. Ironback got knocked out a few weeks back but seasoned hardwood is indestructible. I did notice in Bulldog's game today that dummy half Lichaa is quite solid. With the hefty Pacific Islanders now so popular the days of the lean player in a busy position may be over. Maybe it is something that we must always include in the equation.
Last edited by Byron Bay Fan on Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:29 pm

Everyone was on how bad it was to get beaten by the Canterbury no hopers - yet they have proven that our form in that game wasn't too bad.

Yes we lost, yes we were not that great but the Dogs have been pretty good since.

Just saying.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:34 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:29 pm
Everyone was on how bad it was to get beaten by the Canterbury no hopers - yet they have proven that our form in that game wasn't too bad.

Yes we lost, yes we were not that great but the Dogs have been pretty good since.

Just saying.
They’re hands down the most improved team in the comp.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:45 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:34 pm
Russell wrote:

Just saying.
I could not understand how our team was attacked on the board that night. They tried everything but were just outplayed by a very well drilled team fully aware of our tactics. I respected the Doggies how they were able to handle every trick we threw at them. It was not for lack of trying.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Post by 851 » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 7:48 pm

Russell wrote:

Just saying.
We got beat by saints last week, they couldn't beat time with a stick at the moment, then there was Parra, Titans, Newcastle, we just can't win games that we have to win, I don't know why, but until we do we will never make the 8
Go hard or go home

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 8:31 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Russell wrote:

Just saying.
Since Sharon left.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 8:36 pm

This question is loaded and a hard one to answer ,finishing 9th and given some great performances to cheer about , the Coach having to give some the flick that were in key positions and injury as the season progressed which hurt .
I am still very disappointed with many performances this season as the end results were less than impressive, when is this team ever going to make a final 8 series .
Overall the season was positive with that negative side to it but the team was a long way away from the wooden spoon . IMO and thoughts the season was a success in parts but the latter part left a lot to be desired ..the thing that concerns me is there seems atm no upside moving forward with no signings and the departure of many so what does 2019 offer ?i do not think the season was disastrous but I also do not think it was a great success so sitting on the fence I suppose.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 8:57 pm

Fibros wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 8:31 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Russell wrote:

Just saying.
Since Sharon left.
And Mbye too.