Has this year been a success?

Wests Tigers Discussion
TYGA

Re: Has this year been a success?

Post by TYGA » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:15 pm

Any year we don’t make the 8 can’t be deemed a success. Otherwise we accept the mediocrity of the last decade.

I would give it a pass mark though for the position we were in and the roster.

Success NO but a pass mark. The big thing is the Cap Room and how we can improve looks positive to me. I can only see improvement in the team and squad.

We need to add a few good players and an international every year for 5 years.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:18 pm

All teams initial goal is top 4//top 8...then its a whole new ball game

To not realise your initial goal cant be a success

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:30 pm

until we make the finals it’s definitely not successful.
Otherwise we’ve been successful every year of existence.

voice of reason

Post by voice of reason » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:35 pm

Success is relative - it's not really a definable metric.

I prefer to think of achievements. The greatest achievement this year is there hasn't been a game we played where I didn't think we were a chance to win. I can't say that about the past 3 or 4 years. With the exception of the Raiders game, when we were beaten we were still competitive. There's been some disappointing losses but I've enjoyed this year far more.
Suffering supporter since 1967

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 11:03 pm

I’m as disappointed as the next person but I disagree that this year wasn’t a success.
This whole year our team was changed frequently. We had the hardest draw plus went through injury runs with Reynolds, Tui and Packer in the first month alone. We had to use our depth signings, which wouldn’t have mattered if our depth didn’t suffer already through losing Suli and Milne and then overusing players such as Rochow or Eiso. This all took its toll on the players as early as Round 6.
Also Tui kicking stones had a big impact on the team. He was selected over Corey Thompson and his overall attitude affected the team’s performance in numerous games. Our hooker selections were so poor it killed any of our go forward/combos/attack and there’s been a few other questionable selections and non-selections during the year. So I don’t think any one of us accepts mediocrity and we shouldn’t see this year as a total failure, as we’ve seen some very promising signs.
Looking back there were various reasons we lost, be it no go forward or over fatigue. But if you look at the results of the most successful teams this year, each one of them had more than the 2 or 3 off days. The best team on the day has (mostly)always won. The games against Knights, Eels and Titans should’ve been shoo ins for us but we failed to close 2 of those games out. We have had similar losses to Broncos. So yeah those losses are inexcusable. The one concern I admit I do have is we can’t seem to play with what’s in front of us.
So for a club that has gone through a coaching merry-go-round, had our own players crap on us and faced with a rebuild and so much uncertainty, while this year was not ideal or perfect it was still a success IMO.

matchball

Post by matchball » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 9:18 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:18 pm
All teams initial goal is top 4//top 8...then its a whole new ball game

To not realise your initial goal cant be a success
Exactly.
Cant imagine at the beginning of the season coach telling the players we want to place outside the 8.
That's never the goal. Finals or bust.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:36 am

voice of reason wrote:
Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:35 pm
Success is relative - it's not really a definable metric.

I prefer to think of achievements. The greatest achievement this year is there hasn't been a game we played where I didn't think we were a chance to win. I can't say that about the past 3 or 4 years. With the exception of the Raiders game, when we were beaten we were still competitive. There's been some disappointing losses but I've enjoyed this year far more.
Success is relative, unless you win the comp?

voice of reason

Post by voice of reason » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 12:55 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:36 am
Success is relative, unless you win the comp?
Fair point :)
Suffering supporter since 1967

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 6:55 pm

Success or failure is too binary. My ratings are:
F: bottom 4
C: missing the 8
B: top 8
A: top 4: A+ top 2

So we are a C. It is worth noting that if we win on Thursday against Souths it will be the first time since 2011 that we have won more games than we have lost. So if we win maybe C+
Last edited by mike on Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

will1999

Post by will1999 » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 7:24 pm

could be top 8 now with what's happening at the Sharks lol

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 10:12 am

Half the teams are preparing for finals games this weekend. Meanwhile, most fans of WT are wondering just how long we have to wait until we get to cheer during one again, whilst some could have joined the long term of us for the past seven seasons and still yet to get a chance.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:38 am

For all the talk of buses, culture and rebuilding, we only managed to equal 2016's Jason Taylor campaign.

What really worries me is that we seem to have turned into more of a schizophrenic carnival sideshow than a club.

While other clubs are powering ahead with Centres of Excellence and talent coming through the ranks, while we're operating from an old grandstand in the suburbs and seem to have hit a low in terms of player development.

I'm hopeful of things improving, but I'm calling a fail on 2018.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:59 am

Silentio wrote:
Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:38 am
For all the talk of buses, culture and rebuilding, we only managed to equal 2016's Jason Taylor campaign.

What really worries me is that we seem to have turned into more of a schizophrenic carnival sideshow than a club.

While other clubs are powering ahead with Centres of Excellence and talent coming through the ranks, while we're operating from an old grandstand in the suburbs and seem to have hit a low in terms of player development.

I think the player development thing has been recognised and is being addressed. Although things seem very quite in the recruitment for the NRL roster, we have been aggressively recruiting some of the best young talent, a kid from the knights and a couple from the Dogs with big raps.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 12:47 pm

Silentio wrote:

We won one more game so it is better even if only marginal

PrattenParkMagpie

Post by PrattenParkMagpie » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 1:13 pm

We beat Manly twice, massive success. :lol:
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 1:23 pm

did better than last year, very up and down for me.

I would like the coaching thingy Clearyied up...

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 2:04 pm

supercoach wrote:
Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:59 am
Silentio wrote:

I think the player development thing has been recognised and is being addressed. Although things seem very quite in the recruitment for the NRL roster, we have been aggressively recruiting some of the best young talent, a kid from the knights and a couple from the Dogs with big raps.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but that approach might mean we're picking up the players that other clubs aren't interested in keeping. We might strike it lucky now and then (e.g Alex Twal) but it's not a great strategy.

Not long we had guys like Woods, Tedesco, Brooks, Moses, Nofoaluma coming through the ranks. Now we have a few development players who (with the greatest of respect) haven't yet set the world on fire. While it's not everything, our recent results in Jersey Flegg are abysmal and perhaps suggest we're still struggling.

Realistically we need to be a club that's developing good talent to be competitive. We're always going to struggle to attract superstars compared to the richer clubs.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 1:45 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Mon 03 Sep, 2018 1:23 pm
did better than last year, very up and down for me.

I would like the coaching thingy Clearyied up...
same, ahahahahahah..... :roll: :lol: good joke :roll
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell