Wests Tigers stars Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall take a walk down memory lane

Wests Tigers Discussion
Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 2:23 pm

By Ben Glover
2 hours ago

Reunited Wests Tigers stars Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah haven't given up on a finals push this season after the pair wound back the clock in an outstanding display to put the Dragons to the sword on Sunday afternoon.

After a couple of seasons in the wilderness, Farah has made a promising start to his second coming for the Tigers and leading into his 250th game for the joint venture club, he and Marshall sat down with The Footy Show's Erin Molan to relive the glory days and dream of one last shot at a premiership together.

Farah and Marshall were two of the biggest stars of the club's famous 2005 premiership side and 13 years on they looked back fondly at the off-field shenanigans that built their friendship during that golden period.

"I look back with great memories from those times. We did everything together," Farah said. "Remember we used to have boys night on Tuesday nights we used to go to the movies. "We all lived around the area so Benj and Bronson Harrison and Paul Whatauira and myself, after a game we used to go back to Benj's house or Bronson's house and he'd sit around with the guitar and we'd just be drinking. We'd be out all night and it was just a good period of our lives I think.

"Some great memories, some great friendships, we're obviously both still at the club but blokes that have moved on from the club that will be our mates forever."

The story of Benji Marshall partying at his mate's 21st the night before the 2005 grand final, then turning up late at Dene Halatau's house with a takeaway bag of McDonald's has become footy folklore and in many ways it was typical of the carefree way that era of Tigers players lived their lives off the field.

Farah retells that story in The Footy Show interview to air on Thursday night and reflects on another that puts into perspective how much life has changed for the two NRL veterans. "I remember when we were 22, 23, we'd play on a Friday night and then we'd be on a two-day bender," Farah said. "It just wouldn't affect ya. But now he (Marshall) goes home daddy daycare duty and I go home to stretch and lie on my floor with my little massage ball." Added Marshall: "We'd go out Friday, Saturday, train Sunday and be sweet. Body wise it hurts more but I think mentally it's easier.

"You get the game from a mental/maturity perspective, I feel like we're both better. But our bodies just hurt more. "Life's changed completely obviously growing up, married and that but back in those days we didn't have a care in the world.
"We were just living our lives enjoying it and we did a lot of things together, there probably wasn't a day we didn't see each other, all our crew."Obviously that's changed a bit now but you've got to grow up some time."

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 11:54 pm

Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:09 am

How can this story be true when the Rothfield and Co told us all how much they hated each other!

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:41 am

I have mixed emotions about this story.

Mateship is everything but to be respectful of the place you have in a very large number of peoples lives leaves alot to be desired.

Im no Narc, but perhaps we now know the reason for the inconsistency in performances of the Tigers team if they have been up drinking and hanging out especially before or close to Games.

I take this Tigers thing very seriously

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:41 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Thu 19 Jul, 2018 11:41 am
I have mixed emotions about this story.

Mateship is everything but to be respectful of the place you have in a very large number of peoples lives leaves alot to be desired.

Im no Narc, but perhaps we now know the reason for the inconsistency in performances of the Tigers team if they have been up drinking and hanging out especially before or close to Games.

I take this Tigers thing very seriously
Yeh... I read this and think 'well that explains 2006'

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:47 pm

Things certainly have changed since 2005. Social media has ensured the days of players being out on the drink - and anything else ' are well and truly over. Pretty standard stuff Id say - no room for that these days.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 12:58 pm

Seeing this story makes me realise how much rubbish and rumour is circulated by media and even some fans. Back in the past when things were going south and all the negative stories were coming out about how the playing group didn't get on, how Benji and Farah hated each other, etc etc. Makes you realise we never know the full story and most of what we hear and read is garbage.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:40 pm

Yawn.

Won't read the Benji & Robbie reflect on amazing finals streak.

Maybe the next article will be Robbie and Benji reflect on why tigers chronically under achieved between 2006 & 2013.

matchball

Post by matchball » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:50 pm

Yay. Let's live in the past some more.
2005 woo hoo.