Ivan Cleary admits he wants to bring his son Nathan to the Wests Tigers

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40107
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Ivan Cleary admits he wants to bring his son Nathan to the Wests Tigers

Post by happy tiger » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:09 am

cktiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
Love how opinions change on here.
Brooks has his usual one good game in eight and is a champion again.
Talent has never been his issue - it has always been consistency.
That he has greatly improved his defence this year is in his favour, but he still can't run a team.
Cleary would bring the glue we need in the middle.
Brooks may well prove to be a good five eighth and foil on the other side of the ruck ... only problem is we get stuck with a high priced benchie in Reynolds.
Disagree

The glue we need in the middle is some more forwards probably 1 or 2 front and back rowers

Then Cleary becomes a good signing


bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2530
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:25 pm

Bob wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm
Would love to see the interview / show this article comes from.

Id be guessing it was an offhand comment, meaning little.

As for "Brooks is seeking clarification" -
Reporter - , "would you like to stay at the tigers beyond 2019."
Brooks - "yeah"

News report - Brooks calls for contract to be extended now.

Australian journalism is rubbish
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:28 pm

Furious1 wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 8:34 am
Two things about Brooks:

1) He has improved a lot this year and is getting more and more confident all the time and at what ...23 or so? still has his best years in front of him and could still eventually reach that "immortal" status he was unfairly tagged with after 1 first grade game

2) When the other muppets were carrying on holding the club to ransom last year he wanted to sign, probably against the advice of the pimp did sign, then declared he never wanted to leave. He's a Wests Tiger through and through and the fact the kid can play, loves this club and is one of "ours" makes him a priority for me.
Great post. Despite the knockers, he has always been worthy of a first grade position and has now progressed to be easily amongst the top half of his peers.

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3448
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Post by cktiger » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:28 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:09 am
cktiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
Love how opinions change on here.
Brooks has his usual one good game in eight and is a champion again.
Talent has never been his issue - it has always been consistency.
That he has greatly improved his defence this year is in his favour, but he still can't run a team.
Cleary would bring the glue we need in the middle.
Brooks may well prove to be a good five eighth and foil on the other side of the ruck ... only problem is we get stuck with a high priced benchie in Reynolds.
Disagree

The glue we need in the middle is some more forwards probably 1 or 2 front and back rowers

Then Cleary becomes a good signing
From all the talk the cavalry is on the way.

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:14 pm

The way that contracts and retention/recruitment rolls these days, we would be mad not to go for NC. If it doesn't work out, either would find another club easily and with minimum assistance from our cap.

Even though we still have JR on the books, he himself has said that if things didn't work out here, he would happily give ESL a shot...


rex2ce
Member
Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue 25 Mar, 2014 9:43 am
Location: Newcastle

Post by rex2ce » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:20 pm

All this talk is just in time to derail our faint finals hopes- rumours probably started by Broncos

User avatar
clifferdSH
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:46 pm

Post by clifferdSH » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:22 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:19 am
clifferdSH wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:17 am
Sign Brooks and Cleary on long term deals we have our halves sorted for the next 4-5 years. That's the sort of stability we've lacked for ages

I think Brooks is the sort of guy to sign for less than his worth to keep the club in good hands. He signed with us last year without even knowing if his 3 best mates were gonna be here, and for less
I’d say he knew they were gone when he signed. It’s obvious their minds were made up long before. Tedesco and Sharon in particular.
If that's the case that makes Brooks look eve better. Either that or the tigers were the only club interested, probably the latter

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:23 pm

I can not see Reynolds lasting at the Tigers for his full term. My view is one more year and then he's going. Benji will stay around just in case Reynolds fails again next season and Farah will do the same while Liddle prepares to take over at 9.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21800
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:53 pm

Some of the speculation around Reynolds is downright embarrassing.

User avatar
Fibros
Member
Member
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:23 pm

Post by Fibros » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 2:10 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 9:35 am
swag tiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 9:30 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 8:55 am
Mmm Tolking about a 5 year deal got NC .
Marty Johns saying Brooks, Mbye, Marsters all good runners . NC will be the organiser
So they are saying Nathan is almost certain to come to the Tigers?
Dude you are like a seagull on a chip.
lol...

Rather then throw you one chip at a time...

Brooks will be at resigned
IC will be resigned
NC will be signed
Reynolds will leave when IC sees no value in him.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5713
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 2:18 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:53 pm
Some of the speculation around Reynolds is downright embarrassing.
Agreed x 10.

I'm not even a huge Grubby fan, but the bloke has achieved more than Brooks and Nathan Cleary combined.

He got injured for a good portion a year, just happens to have been hi first year - happens to lots of players. Dare I remind anyone of how many games of football Benji played in his first few seasons...

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5713
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 2:24 pm

Furious1 wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 9:37 am
swag tiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 9:30 am
Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 8:55 am
Mmm Tolking about a 5 year deal got NC .
Marty Johns saying Brooks, Mbye, Marsters all good runners . NC will be the organiser
So they are saying Nathan is almost certain to come to the Tigers?
For what it's worth Paul Kent said last night on Matty Johns show he was hearing it was basically a done deal. Wouldn't be the first time it's been wrong though.
The story I've heard, and Paul Kent's not even close to the first person to say it, is that Pascoe has had a drafted contract for Nathan in his top drawer ever since the slimy trio left. It's just the dollar value that's changed over the past 12 months. But it's sitting there, Nathan knows about it, and they'll formally bring it out 2nd of November 2018.

Question mark will be whether or not he signs it, but they all know it's sitting there waiting.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21800
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 2:53 pm

Impossible to think Ivan and Nathan have not had conversations about salary and what our club has to offer. There’s just no way.

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40107
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 3:47 pm

cktiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:28 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:09 am
cktiger wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
Love how opinions change on here.
Brooks has his usual one good game in eight and is a champion again.
Talent has never been his issue - it has always been consistency.
That he has greatly improved his defence this year is in his favour, but he still can't run a team.
Cleary would bring the glue we need in the middle.
Brooks may well prove to be a good five eighth and foil on the other side of the ruck ... only problem is we get stuck with a high priced benchie in Reynolds.
Disagree

The glue we need in the middle is some more forwards probably 1 or 2 front and back rowers

Then Cleary becomes a good signing
From all the talk the cavalry is on the way.
Unless there is something I've missed haven't heard talk about 1 forward heading our way and think I've heard at least 3-4 leaving

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 3:48 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 9:26 am
Furious1 wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 8:34 am
Two things about Brooks:

1) He has improved a lot this year and is getting more and more confident all the time and at what ...23 or so? still has his best years in front of him and could still eventually reach that "immortal" status he was unfairly tagged with after 1 first grade game

2) When the other muppets were carrying on holding the club to ransom last year he wanted to sign, probably against the advice of the pimp did sign, then declared he never wanted to leave. He's a Wests Tiger through and through and the fact the kid can play, loves this club and is one of "ours" makes him a priority for me.
Well said.
X2
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 5:40 pm

Man the media are worse than seagulls after a chip! Ivan answers a question with an obvious "Yes" and now were reading headlines on how we're dumping Brooks or Reynolds and how one of them has to go. 2018 isn't over yet and they are speculating on what might happen in 2020.

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 6:03 pm

cochise wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 8:59 am
rex2ce wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:39 pm
clifferdSH wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:07 pm
I'm a fan of getting Cleary to the club but not at the expense of Brooksy. The kid has come leaps and bounds and absolutely loves the club

Plus if you were to rank them up beside each other as of current form Brooks outplays him in just about every facet, all behind a pretty average forward pack
I agree , don’t let Brooks go, Cleary has not been a standout since his knee injury and the loss of RCG, Luke has always done it tough at the Tigers and is now showing what he can do behind some reasonable forwards
Whatever happens Ivan is the winner, you need to remember that he is also Nathan's manager so if he drives up his asking price at Penrith by saying the Tigers want to sign him, it will actually make Ivan more $$$$$$$.

Just kidding, I actually believe that Nathan will come here, but that would be another twist to the story.
Just think about the fuel money they will be saving

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 6:07 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:53 pm
Some of the speculation around Reynolds is downright embarrassing.
Reynolds impact in his limited time bodes well for the future. Ideal foil for two developing halves. Worst case scenario he is a very valuable utility

Post Reply