Farah floats idea of walking off into sunset with Benji

Wests Tigers Discussion
steve-o

Re: Farah floats idea of walking off into sunset with Benji

Post by steve-o » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 10:55 pm

I’d like to see Benji retire and Farah play on for one more year. I don’t think Benji has another year in him mentally.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:25 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:53 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 6:35 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 6:32 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 6:26 pm

I don't think Robbie wants to ......

Just putting it out there , 300 will be very tempting
What if he wants to play the year after cos he’s tempted to play 300 games for us?
And thats what is also concerning

The decision needs to be made for the right reasons , on the footy field , not winning votes with good fuzzy feeling story with fans

If Robbie finished the story with the form he showed in the first few games , it must be considered if we haven't found a better option

If Friday night is what we see for the next 5 weeks , we need to make that tough call
If it’s true and Nathan is to come in 2019, I would say Robbie is surplus. Marshall too. I’d have Liddle and Reynolds as the hooking options. It’s the right time for both of them. Marshall’s novelty has worn off somewhat, but Farah’s hasn’t as yet. Better off going out when the majority of the supporter base is behind him, than risk not being up to the riggers of another long season and having the supporters turn on you and want you to retire the same way they want Marshall to.
Have my doubts that Reynolds' body is suited to hold up to the flogging it would cop playing at 9. He is as brittle as filo pastry these days.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 11:30 pm

People suggesting Reynolds at hooker - he is horrible there.

Would be woeful for him also coming off shoulder surgery to be thrown in there again in 2019.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 12:44 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:53 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 6:35 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 6:32 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 6:26 pm

I don't think Robbie wants to ......

Just putting it out there , 300 will be very tempting
What if he wants to play the year after cos he’s tempted to play 300 games for us?
And thats what is also concerning

The decision needs to be made for the right reasons , on the footy field , not winning votes with good fuzzy feeling story with fans

If Robbie finished the story with the form he showed in the first few games , it must be considered if we haven't found a better option

If Friday night is what we see for the next 5 weeks , we need to make that tough call
If it’s true and Nathan is to come in 2019, I would say Robbie is surplus. Marshall too. I’d have Liddle and Reynolds as the hooking options. It’s the right time for both of them. Marshall’s novelty has worn off somewhat, but Farah’s hasn’t as yet. Better off going out when the majority of the supporter base is behind him, than risk not being up to the riggers of another long season and having the supporters turn on you and want you to retire the same way they want Marshall to.
If Reynolds is our hooker, IN 2019 we're in deep doo doo , hes not even reserve grade standard as D H.

matchball

Post by matchball » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 5:46 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 30 Jul, 2018 8:17 pm
As I have stated elsewhere we can hedge our bets by keeping Farah on minimum coin with a guarantee of about 15 minutes a week minimum until he achieves his 300 game milestone. He can play almost anywhere in the spine and only playing part time will protect his body. Both sides have to get something out of it. He can't be expected to keep 100% fit and available for only spasmodic back up. As well he can mentor the youngsters and perform his ambassadorial duties for extra coin.

But frankly speaking the healing and 250th Tiger game is done that is great - anything else is cream on the cake for both sides if mutually beneficial.
Let me get this straight.
You want Farah to play from the bench every game next year just so he can achieve the 300 game milestone?
So we play two hookers again instead of another forward on the bench for 2019?

Is that what you mean?
If so, that's incredibly selfish and I hope that doesn't happen.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:44 am

matchball wrote:
Tue 31 Jul, 2018 5:46 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
As I have stated elsewhere we can hedge our bets by keeping Farah on minimum coin with a guarantee of about 15 minutes a week minimum until he achieves his 300 game milestone. He can play almost anywhere in the spine and only playing part time will protect his body. Both sides have to get something out of it. He can't be expected to keep 100% fit and available for only spasmodic back up. As well he can mentor the youngsters and perform his ambassadorial duties for extra coin.

But frankly speaking the healing and 250th Tiger game is done that is great - anything else is cream on the cake for both sides if mutually beneficial.
You want Farah to play from the bench every game next year just so he can achieve the 300 game milestone?

Is that what you mean?
Of course it can be seen that way but not necessarily so. Just as it can be seen unreasonable to expect some one to hang around, to stay fully fit, for part time spasmodic play to earn a minimum salary.

Farah was denied an legitimate try at 300 games so yes a slightly contrived one that may benefit all. I did state he can fill in anywhere on the spine which he did admirably in the World Cup, even against Oz, so not just hooker. I would have a punt with his ability to read play that he could even fill in for full back if necessary though they don't usually get replaced.

I can't remember when we did have two hookers off the bench, maybe when I was not in Oz a few times. For "argumentative" terms Isn't a hooker considered a forward as well but yes that could be a down side.

The Club also benefits by establishing a good reputation of treating top players who can still perform in their twilight years, otherwise they will leave early when still in "middle age" so they can secure a long term contract into old age. With expansion of NRL and the limited number of top players this can be important. Look how we have to overpay to secure top players now.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

willow

Post by willow » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:52 am

Your infatuation with Farah is nothing short of disturbing.

matchball

Post by matchball » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:58 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:44 am
matchball wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Is that what you mean?
Of course it can be seen that way but not necessarily so. Just as it can be seen unreasonable to expect some one to hang around, to stay fully fit, for part time spasmodic play to earn a minimum salary.

Farah was denied an legitimate try at 300 games so yes a slightly contrived one that may benefit all. I did state he can fill in anywhere on the spine which he did admirably in the World Cup, even against Oz, so not just hooker. I would have a punt with his ability to read play that he could even fill in for full back if necessary though they don't usually get replaced.

I can't remember when we did have two hookers off the bench, maybe when I was not in Oz a few times. For "argumentative" terms Isn't a hooker considered a forward as well but yes that could be a down side.

The Club also benefits by establishing a good reputation of treating top players who can still perform in their twilight years, otherwise they will leave early when still in "middle age" so they can secure a long term contract into old age. With expansion of NRL and the limited number of top players this can be important. Look how we have to overpay to secure top players now.
Players shouldn't be picked or signed on to get personal milestones. Nobody that plays the game is guaranteed a thing.
This is selfish and doesn't benefit the team whatsoever.
Youth is the key, not hasbeens looking for stats.

I read to the point where you said Farah could cover fullback and you lost my focus to continue reading on.
Thats laughable.
I know people are sentimental about Farah but its time to move on.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 8:40 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:44 am
matchball wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

I'll take it that you are having a lend of us with that post.

No one I can ever think of would come up with a scenario like that.

I think too much chess has gone to your head - well at least Farah.

Is that what you mean?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:22 am

willow wrote:
Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:52 am
Its trolling.. Nothing less.
Farah fullback?
Please

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:35 am

Seemingly neither wants to play ISP so in that case both need to retire this year. They could both re-sign on small backup contracts, play ISP and fill in where necessary in ISP but i don't think that's what they want to do. And fair enough that's their call, but if they're our first choice 5/8 and hooker next season we're in trouble.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:40 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:35 am
Seemingly neither wants to play ISP so in that case both need to retire this year. They could both re-sign on small backup contracts, play ISP and fill in where necessary in ISP but i don't think that's what they want to do. And fair enough that's their call, but if they're our first choice 5/8 and hooker next season we're in trouble.
Agree BB. Big Trouble!

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 10:09 am

They both should retire at the end of this season. 2005 was along time ago. They have had their time in the sun and need to allow the next generation of players to take over.
Last edited by Newtown on Tue 31 Jul, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 10:09 am

Lidddle had an absolute pearler on the weekend.

Killed the Manly reserves!

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 10:10 am

He reminds me of Cook as he has the super quick speed!

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 11:51 am

willow wrote:

First of all can't anyone see the hand of his manager in this? It is a Farah thread and I have to be able to enjoy myself somewhere. But strictly speaking I do think of the Club's benefit as well, esp when trying to get into 2016 finals. I don't think I have put my bets on the wrong horse yet. My infatuation is due to him having the total game as an active hooker, otherwise the game is boring.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 11:54 am

I am all for Farah not renewing at all if everything is perfect. As fullback yes he is slow but his ability to read play and anticipate could help towards his pace. He would be busting to get into the attacking line a lot more than lazy players like Hayne, sometimes Tedesco etc..

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 12:32 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 31 Jul, 2018 11:51 am
willow wrote:

First of all can't anyone see the hand of his manager in this? It is a Farah thread and I have to be able to enjoy myself somewhere. But strictly speaking I do think of the Club's benefit as well, esp when trying to get into 2016 finals. I don't think I have put my bets on the wrong horse yet. My infatuation is due to him having the total game as an active hooker, otherwise the game is boring.
Wrong horse mate
Your betting in the 2016 finals
That was 2 years ago
This is 2018
:roll