New coach.. Who should we target?

Wests Tigers Discussion
WT2K

Re: New coach.. Who should we target?

Post by WT2K » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 2:51 pm

Madge or Toovey if going for experience. O'Brein or Demetriou if wanting to go the other way.
No more plodders!
:sign:

tonza

Post by tonza » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 3:35 pm

Go for the best, if we have the dough. Offer Bennett the 2 year contract he is seeking with the Broncos. 3 year, if that what it takes. He might bring some of those great youngsters with him.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 11:32 am

Harvey wrote:
Fri 21 Sep, 2018 6:52 am
Bennett/Demetriou or the Walker brothers
The Walker Brother had a lot of great songs back in the 60's love them.
:roll

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 11:47 am

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 15 Aug, 2018 11:57 pm
dazza65 wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:26 pm
Mage for me

If it works then Hook as GM and Jnr development
Madge is apparently heading to the Northern beaches .. ??
Maguire in the frame as Sea Eagles go cold on Carty

Michael Maguire had some form of contact with Manly on four occasions in the past week as the club goes cold on the idea of appointing assistant John Cartwright to replace Trent Barrett, who is at war with the Sea Eagles and certain to leave.

The problem for Manly is Maguire has a long list of requirements about staff and budgets he wants agreed to or he won’t consider the job.

From SMH Danny Wider.

I have been told an offer of $700,000 a year has been made to Maguire. I’ve also been told the ex-Souths coach is highly rated by former Sea Eagles patriarch Bob Fulton, who, despite not having a direct role at the club any more, is the real powerbroker at Manly.

Maguire is considered the best coach available to slot into a club that needs reshaping. If he had his way, there is no question Maguire would take the Broncos coaching job when that comes up. He may have to take Manly instead.

Maguire is a good judge of a footballer. He can see potential in the Manly squad. There is a lot to like about the playing group.

The first and most pressing issue facing the Sea Eagles is the position of the Trbojevic brothers, Jake and Tom. They are not happy with Barrett’s treatment, but were happy Cartwright was set to take over. They will need to be sold on Maguire, if he is interested.

The Trbojevics are the most important figures in the future of the Sea Eagles. A year ago, if you had asked either of the brothers if they would ever think about leaving Manly, they would have ridiculed the idea. Now there is discussion that they need to be talked to so they can be shored up.

Noggon

Post by Noggon » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:24 pm

tonza wrote:
Fri 21 Sep, 2018 3:35 pm
Go for the best, if we have the dough. Offer Bennett the 2 year contract he is seeking with the Broncos. 3 year, if that what it takes. He might bring some of those great youngsters with him.
Way to go!

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:41 pm

has to be Hasler i'd say. or maybe paul green, brad arthur, shane flanagan etc if we can get them to break their contracts too
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:55 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:41 pm
has to be Hasler i'd say. or maybe paul green, brad arthur, shane flanagan etc if we can get them to break their contracts too
funnily enough we have Des' former right hand man in Kelly Egan plus Mbye and Reynolds :lol:
No more plodders!

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 6:50 am

I think it’s time to invest in ‘the investigator’
Cause there really needs to be one made at the club.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 9:08 am

New coach who dis :roll

wat about Darren Lockyer :D :D

(Pat richards :pray: :sign: )
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 3:42 pm

Uncle Wayne will be on the market
No more plodders!

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 3:49 pm

WT2K wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 3:42 pm
Uncle Wayne will be on the market
Do you get Darius as part of a two for the price of one package?
"Quality Stupidity"

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 4:15 pm

So according to some people on here, no-one will sign with or extend their contract at the Broncos because for the foreseeable future because they're not sure who'll be coaching them in 2020....

Yeah right, it really doesn't come into it!

What's the point in keeping a coach when the players and fans know he won't be there later?! Maybe Wayne will sign up a bunch of plodders on big deals to stifle his replacement? Manage the team as poorly as possible? Help himself to the best young players when he leaves?

Or maybe, just maybe, Wayne will continue to coach the team to the best of his abilities, even if he signs with another club at some point over the next several months.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 5:36 pm

It is the Broncos and money talks.
Broncos have never had recruitment issues so mute point.
You would expect with this announcement Demeitrou will be groomed the coming year.
What I like about it was though is that the Broncos have drawn a line in the sand and made a decision on next year with you would think both parties in agreement.
I see that situation far less messy than ours.

I guess in trying to see it from Ivan’s view he may possibly be in two minds as to what he wants his future to look like.
He might actually want to coach our club for a lengthy period of time knowing full well he may miss out on coaching his son in his prime.
I think the West’s Tigers coaching job is more attractive than the Panther’s coaching job in terms of personal success, building a club from the ground up, carving your own path without having an overbearing manager questioning your every move.
However at some stage over the next 2 years he’ll work out what he really wants.
In a way Nathan signing long term with Penrith really gives him a ginuine fork in the road.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:01 pm

Needaname wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 5:36 pm
You would expect with this announcement Demeitrou will be groomed the coming year.
What I like about it was though is that the Broncos have drawn a line in the sand and made a decision on next year with you would think both parties in agreement.

I guess in trying to see it from Ivan’s view he may possibly be in two minds as to what he wants his future to look like.
He might actually want to coach our club for a lengthy period of time knowing full well he may miss out on coaching his son in his prime.
I think the West’s Tigers coaching job is more attractive than the Panther’s coaching job in terms of personal success, building a club from the ground up, carving your own path without having an overbearing manager questioning your every move.
However at some stage over the next 2 years he’ll work out what he really wants.
In a way Nathan signing long term with Penrith really gives him a ginuine fork in the road.
Well said.
"Quality Stupidity"

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 8:09 pm

Have been talking about this with a few people and the general concensus is Bennett would attract players but my view is who went to newcastle of any merit
Madge imo but Bennett would be my second choice

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 8:36 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:01 pm
Needaname wrote:

Well said.
How can the Broncos possibly sign players knowing that Uncle Wayne won't be there beyond 2019 and not knowing precisely who is replacement is?

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 8:40 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 8:36 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:01 pm
Needaname wrote:

Well said.
How can the Broncos possibly sign players knowing that Uncle Wayne won't be there beyond 2019 and not knowing precisely who is replacement is?

Ummm maybe because they are an established and successful club who dont need to prove anything. Or sign players to improve their squad.
Its an opinion!

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 8:41 pm

Bennett brings corporate sponsor $s as well as attracts players. Easier to attract good cattle to Sydney location clubs.
I think he would be a great choice, 3 year deal and (hopefully) partly subsidised by Panther$s..
By my preference if Cleary stays committed he should be allowed to finish his contract. Any extension then is performance based and of course if he wants to stay longer term.