New coach.. Who should we target?

Wests Tigers Discussion
prattenparkchild

Re: New coach.. Who should we target?

Post by prattenparkchild » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 2:31 pm

We don't need a new coach just yet. I'm sure Cleary will see out next year and quite possibly 2020 as well. All I would ask of Cleary is to make a clear declaration for 2019 then things can settle down. We can haggle early in 2019 for a possible release for 2020. We need to get back into focus for next season.

With the Panthers signing up Ciracaldo (?) for 2019 that takes immediate pressure off.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:07 pm

If Madge is off to Manly then that means we're being patient with our options. Looking at Bennett most likely, maybe even Flanagan. Would consider a rookie coach as long as they have credentials. Wouldn't be surprised if Ivan does stay until the end of next year, we've got time.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:10 pm

We got more chance of Trent Robinson coming back here then getting Wayne Bennett

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:11 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 2:31 pm
We don't need a new coach just yet. I'm sure Cleary will see out next year and quite possibly 2020 as well. All I would ask of Cleary is to make a clear declaration for 2019 then things can settle down. We can haggle early in 2019 for a possible release for 2020. We need to get back into focus for next season.

With the Panthers signing up Ciracaldo (?) for 2019 that takes immediate pressure off.
I think the chances of Cleary being here in 2019 are incredibly remote.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:15 pm

Seabolt

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:19 pm

Abraham wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 2:08 pm
Is it possible that, now that Gus has managed to get Nathan's signature, the Panther's wont be chasing Ivan after all?

Just a thought.
It would surprise me if they were ever chasing Ivan except for a sweetener to get Nathan. I may well be wrong but My feeling from the start was Ivan wanted to go there more than they were chasing him. Now that Nathan has signed, I can't see them needing Ivan. Gould has said there is no Ivan Clause in Nathan's contract.
"Quality Stupidity"

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:48 pm

Matt Elliott or Daniel Anderson. Maybe Griffin.

It seems to be a criteria that our coach is a rookie or punted by at least one club

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:23 pm

If Bennett comes, I'm gone.

Now I know that will scare the crap out of the club!

....no, seriously, if he comes I think I will follow AFL.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Post by 851 » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:31 pm

Swordy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:23 pm

....no, seriously, if he comes I think I will follow AFL.
Any coach who can attract players and get us in the 8 will do.
Go hard or go home

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:31 pm

Harvey wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:48 pm
Matt Elliott or Daniel Anderson. Maybe Griffin.

It seems to be a criteria that our coach is a rookie or punted by at least one club
Is he even on the market? I'd rate him as our coach.
"Quality Stupidity"

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:34 pm

851 wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:31 pm
Swordy wrote:

....1no, seriously, if he comes I think I will follow AFL.
It's the 'secret' money that attracts players. Bennett has shown multiple times that he is no better than many others when the $$$$ dry up. I'm not saying he is a complete dud, because he has achieved more than me and being a first grade coach is hard work, but it's the cream that gets the players.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:12 pm

I expect Ivan to be offered an extension and for him to accept in order to save his family's reputation. Even Nathan mentioned how important their family name and reputation is in his recent interview. If he signs with Panthers their family name will forever be tarnished by being lying, deceitful, and lacking integrity.
Even if Ivan extends for 2 years with WT, Nathan would still only be 24 and coming into his prime... They could still be together for 10 years!

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:32 pm

2 ear extension, nah. One year, yeah, nah. Wait until next off season to have an informed position before offering, yeah, sounds about right.

In the meantime, if Ivan is indeed staying put for his current contract term, about bloody time to properly address the perceived uncertainty, whether real or imagined.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:42 pm

Swordy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:34 pm
851 wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:31 pm
Swordy wrote:

....1no, seriously, if he comes I think I will follow AFL.
It's the 'secret' money that attracts players. Bennett has shown multiple times that he is no better than many others when the $$$$ dry up. I'm not saying he is a complete dud, because he has achieved more than me and being a first grade coach is hard work, but it's the cream that gets the players.
I think thats being extremely hard on a coach with a fantastic record and career.

Please tell me you didnt support Jason Taylor.
Its an opinion!

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:01 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:12 pm
I expect Ivan to be offered an extension and for him to accept in order to save his family's reputation. Even Nathan mentioned how important their family name and reputation is in his recent interview. If he signs with Panthers their family name will forever be tarnished by being lying, deceitful, and lacking integrity.
Even if Ivan extends for 2 years with WT, Nathan would still only be 24 and coming into his prime... They could still be together for 10 years!
Why is his reputation damaged, he is a free agent in two years time to do what he wants

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:09 pm

supercoach wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:01 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Why is his reputation damaged, he is a free agent in two years time to do what he wants
Because some people who used to respect him no longer respect him. Whether or not his reputation is undiminished in your eyes you need only read some of the posts on here to realise he's fallen from grace in the eyes of some. His reputation is definitely damaged.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:29 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
I just don't see him accepting an extension. Fact is Penrith will offer a lot more money than we can match, plus the attraction of coaching his son (still not sure why that is such an attraction).

My issue is whether to keep him for two years or cut him loose. I really wanted Ivan to work out, but knew he would need at least 5 years. I don't see why players will sign with us whilst there is uncertainty around the coach.

Really disappointing position to be in considering for once none of it is our own doing. I really hope Penrith don't expect any favours from us into the future, because this is right up there with Souths kicking off in the boycotted grand final.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:38 pm

Hard to lead a build into the future when you are jumping ship. That's what others are saying is happening, and Ivan is not vocal enough in saying it is not true.,

When you only hear one side of the story, it makes it very hard to believe the side you aren't hearing.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign: