New coach.. Who should we target?

Wests Tigers Discussion
TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: New coach.. Who should we target?

Post by TCL » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:28 pm

I can't stand the guy but we should offer Gus the job.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:32 pm

TCL wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:28 pm
So Gus orchestrates the whole Cleary saga because he has secretly always coverted the Wests Tigers coaching job. Now THAT would be a story!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:44 pm

I thought that we already had a coach for the next two years?
Why all the tearing out of hair.?

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:45 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:32 pm
TCL wrote:
So Gus orchestrates the whole Cleary saga because he has secretly always coverted the Wests Tigers coaching job. Now THAT would be a story!
:roll

I was just having fun. The forum has been buzzing ever since this saga started.

Would be good to have someone like him at our club.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:47 pm

TCL wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:45 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:32 pm
TCL wrote:
:roll

I was just having fun. The forum has been buzzing ever since this saga started.

Would be good to have someone like him at our club.
Well we need someone and I like your sense of humour!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:09 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:42 pm
Swordy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:34 pm
851 wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:31 pm
Swordy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:23 pm
If Bennett comes, I'm gone.

Now I know that will scare the crap out of the club!

....1no, seriously, if he comes I think I will follow AFL.
Any coach who can attract players and get us in the 8 will do.
It's the 'secret' money that attracts players. Bennett has shown multiple times that he is no better than many others when the $$$$ dry up. I'm not saying he is a complete dud, because he has achieved more than me and being a first grade coach is hard work, but it's the cream that gets the players.
I think thats being extremely hard on a coach with a fantastic record and career.

Please tell me you didnt support Jason Taylor.
Not particularly a Taylor supporter.

So you're telling me having essentially a qld team as your club team makes you a good coach, and admittedly won a few comps but underperformed if anything with that cattle....

and then leaving when the clydesdales $$$ dried up after they got caught out....

or having millions thrown at you at st George, already a top 4 team and winning 1 comp and leaving the club in a 5 year mess,

then to Newcastle with Tinklers mining dollars, could not stay a full contract when those dollars disappeared and ruined a club in the process,

Then back to Brisbane and hasnt won a thing......

Tell me which part of the above is wrong?
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:20 pm

Swordy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:09 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:42 pm
Swordy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:34 pm
851 wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:31 pm

Any coach who can attract players and get us in the 8 will do.
It's the 'secret' money that attracts players. Bennett has shown multiple times that he is no better than many others when the $$$$ dry up. I'm not saying he is a complete dud, because he has achieved more than me and being a first grade coach is hard work, but it's the cream that gets the players.
I think thats being extremely hard on a coach with a fantastic record and career.

Please tell me you didnt support Jason Taylor.
Not particularly a Taylor supporter.

So you're telling me having essentially a qld team as your club team makes you a good coach, and admittedly won a few comps but underperformed if anything with that cattle....

and then leaving when the clydesdales $$$ dried up after they got caught out....

or having millions thrown at you at st George, already a top 4 team and winning 1 comp and leaving the club in a 5 year mess,

then to Newcastle with Tinklers mining dollars, could not stay a full contract when those dollars disappeared and ruined a club in the process,

Then back to Brisbane and hasnt won a thing......

Tell me which part of the above is wrong?

Nothing you say can be argued as wrong but every single opinon is on the border of fairness. To me the reality is that Bennett is a big part of the culture the Brisbane Broncos have. He man managed many a difficult player throughout their hey day. His K.I.S.S game plan kept hem around the money.

The Dragons and Knights appraisal is the most off centre. He went for short term fixes, there is no doubt about that but at one club he got them their premiership, at the other the club owner destroyed the place.

All you need to know about Bennett is that all the players that play under him love him.
Last edited by The Patriot on Thu 27 Sep, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Its an opinion!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:21 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:10 pm
We got more chance of Trent Robinson coming back here then getting Wayne Bennett
I wonder if Dragons and Knights fans thought the same...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:29 pm

Nelson wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:09 pm
supercoach wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:01 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:12 pm
I expect Ivan to be offered an extension and for him to accept in order to save his family's reputation. Even Nathan mentioned how important their family name and reputation is in his recent interview. If he signs with Panthers their family name will forever be tarnished by being lying, deceitful, and lacking integrity.
Even if Ivan extends for 2 years with WT, Nathan would still only be 24 and coming into his prime... They could still be together for 10 years!
Why is his reputation damaged, he is a free agent in two years time to do what he wants
Because some people who used to respect him no longer respect him. Whether or not his reputation is undiminished in your eyes you need only read some of the posts on here to realise he's fallen from grace in the eyes of some. His reputation is definitely damaged.
Ivan's image at the beginning of his WT tenure centred around integrity and honesty. Now, to many, his words ring very hollow and are hard to put much belief in. He has largely stood by flaccidly whilst our club has been treated as a laughing stock these last few months.
IMO get rid of him and get a coach here that wholeheartedly wants to be here, not just floats on the breeze to suit himself and his own agendas.
Highly doubt Penrith would be that keen anymore on getting Ivan to their club, their whole game plan re: Ivan was just to ensure Nathan re-signed. Ivan has less than a 50% win ratio after all.......he's no coaching benchmark.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:49 pm

I would target in this order 1) Bennett 2) Maguire 3) Kevin Walters 4) O’Brien 5) Toovey.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 6:04 am

TYGA wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:49 pm
I would target in this order 1) Bennett 2) Maguire 3) Kevin Walters 4) O’Brien 5) Toovey.
Dessie ahead of them all

tbones10

Post by tbones10 » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 6:16 am

Lads, even though I appreciate the humor, how can we all be so wrong, if Saint Ivan goes there are only two real options that suit us.
Neil Henry: has done wonders with every team he coached
(Hayne year aside) coaches a gritty "compete at every tackle, every hit up" culture, that would complement what Ivan has done so far and take it to the next level and has done wonders on a shoe string budget (Hayne aside).
The Walker Brothers: go back to the noughties, where it is all time in possession, quick play the balls, attack at every opportunity, "you score 30 we will score 40" style of play that we all enjoyed, again on a shoe string budget.

Jokes aside, what do you blokes reckon?

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:33 am

How about Steve Georgalis who recently won the ISC with the Bulldogs?

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:37 am

Chris wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 7:33 am
How about Steve Georgalis who recently won the ISC with the Bulldogs?
No

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:54 am

tbones10 wrote:
Thu 27 Sep, 2018 6:16 am
Lads, even though I appreciate the humor, how can we all be so wrong, if Saint Ivan goes there are only two real options that suit us.
Neil Henry: has done wonders with every team he coached
(Hayne year aside) coaches a gritty "compete at every tackle, every hit up" culture, that would complement what Ivan has done so far and take it to the next level and has done wonders on a shoe string budget (Hayne aside).
The Walker Brothers: go back to the noughties, where it is all time in possession, quick play the balls, attack at every opportunity, "you score 30 we will score 40" style of play that we all enjoyed, again on a shoe string budget.

Jokes aside, what do you blokes reckon?
Agree with Neil Henry (if we need a very experienced coach - very under rated and a much better option than Bennett, Maquire, Hasler, Toovey and I wouldn't touch the Walker Bros with a barge pole.

O'Brien maybe ok if going for a younger new ideas person imo.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:06 am

WT2K wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 12:18 pm
Madge set to join manly. Announcement next week. Via mole and bulldog ritchie.
Good. Don’t rate him or his style of coaching.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:12 am

TYGA wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:49 pm
would target in this order 1) Bennett 2) Hasler 3) Walters 4) Demetriou 5) Payton

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 27 Sep, 2018 9:32 am

Nelson wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:09 pm
supercoach wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:01 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:12 pm
I expect Ivan to be offered an extension and for him to accept in order to save his family's reputation. Even Nathan mentioned how important their family name and reputation is in his recent interview. If he signs with Panthers their family name will forever be tarnished by being lying, deceitful, and lacking integrity.
Even if Ivan extends for 2 years with WT, Nathan would still only be 24 and coming into his prime... They could still be together for 10 years!
Why is his reputation damaged, he is a free agent in two years time to do what he wants
Because some people who used to respect him no longer respect him. Whether or not his reputation is undiminished in your eyes you need only read some of the posts on here to realise he's fallen from grace in the eyes of some. His reputation is definitely damaged.
I agree with Nelson that Ivan's reputation has already taken a hit, and a further hit if he signs w Penrith so far in advance. Certainly he's allowed to do it, and I personally respect his right to do it as a free agent and doing the best for himself, but he's dealing with human beings here and we all have differing views.

I mean there are already fans calling for his head and he has literally not been proven to have done anything untoward except be approached by a rival club. Calling for his head based on speculation.