barra wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:33 pm
Glennb wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:20 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:09 pm
Glennb wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:03 pm

None of your maths adds up. If Panthers are paying the Tigers $1.2 (which I doubt) and they pay Cleary $ 600 pa for two years, isnt it costing Panthers $2.4M for those two years? Hardly saving money.

Also factor in the cost of paying out the former coach and paying Ciraldo. I have read an article where Cleary's management company denies he wants out (early). No doubt a lot of positioning underway to maximise/minimise payouts.
You are right P&C

Of course Cleary & Penrith are going to say they are happy to wait until 2021. That way Tigers are painted into a corner, there willbe ZERO compensation from Penrith and in fact I could see a case where Tigers would have to pay Cleary out to have him go. Tigers will get nothing out of Penrith, IMO it will be offered that he will leave for "free". I wouldnt mind betting that this is where the rumours of Penrith "paying out" Clearys contract come from. They are not going to pay Tigers anything, they will just pay Cleary what he was going to get anyway.
In that case it's shaping up to be a game of chicken. How long can we make Penrith wait? No way they are wanting to start the season with Ciraldo. That's a Gus bluff.
Very high takes game of chicken, that the Tigers will probably lose. How long can we make Penrith wait? How long could we make Bennett/Brisbane wait? Remember Cleary & Bennett share the same management. I cant see the Tigers winning this one. Might be best to cut losses and just make it happen.
Last edited by Glennb on Fri 05 Oct, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 3:12 pm

I can see it being Penrith will just pay Cleary what he's getting from us for the next two seasons no more no less we wont get any compensation. The only other thing we can do is put Cleary on gardening leave and hope Penrith come to the party, Cleary has really boxed us into a corner i hope he falls flat on his face.

Spacecub

Post by Spacecub » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 4:45 pm

matchball wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 9:41 am
Nobody should be disappointed.
We get a better coach. Probably the greatest one ever to coach the game.
Cleary is average and I'm tired of being an average team.

I'm excited for 2019 now.
Agree with you 100% matchball I've never had a good word for ivan on here, because basically there isnt one....the blokes a myth who has achieved nothing. and in the end has treated our club and us supporters with utter contempt .....we all have the right to be excited about 2019 with a proven high profile winning coach in charge...I look forward to seeing this filthy snake punted from our great club
IN WAYNE WE TRUST

tiger_one

Post by tiger_one » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 5:11 pm

Glennb wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:04 pm
weststigerman wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 8:43 am
Sounds like I can switch from deathriding Parra (Moses) to deathriding Penrith.

I'd love to see them miss the 8 next year.
Why not both?
x2 LOL

Post by 2041 » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 5:37 pm

Glennb wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 3:07 pm
barra wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:33 pm
Glennb wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:20 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:09 pm

Also factor in the cost of paying out the former coach and paying Ciraldo. I have read an article where Cleary's management company denies he wants out (early). No doubt a lot of positioning underway to maximise/minimise payouts.
You are right P&C

Of course Cleary & Penrith are going to say they are happy to wait until 2021. That way Tigers are painted into a corner, there willbe ZERO compensation from Penrith and in fact I could see a case where Tigers would have to pay Cleary out to have him go. Tigers will get nothing out of Penrith, IMO it will be offered that he will leave for "free". I wouldnt mind betting that this is where the rumours of Penrith "paying out" Clearys contract come from. They are not going to pay Tigers anything, they will just pay Cleary what he was going to get anyway.
In that case it's shaping up to be a game of chicken. How long can we make Penrith wait? No way they are wanting to start the season with Ciraldo. That's a Gus bluff.
Very high takes game of chicken, that the Tigers will probably lose. How long can we make Penrith wait? How long could we make Bennett/Brisbane wait? Remember Cleary & Bennett share the same management. I cant see the Tigers winning this one. Might be best to cut losses and just make it happen.
100% no-one at the club is trying to extract leverage on this situation. I strongly believe that all concerned have decided that if they can effectively swap Cleary for Bennett with no other consequences to the situation this is the best available outcome, and that they're working towards that. If Bennett has a one-year buyout I guess the Tigers may try to get Penrith effectively to cover that, but the idea that we're somehow going to get a big player or lots of additional cash out of them if wishful thinking in the extreme.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 6:35 pm

Perfect holiday time for Ivan but at some point he will have to come back and face the music. Another written statement I sense.
Cant believe he re-signed Farah and Benji and then buggers off.
Hope all ties are severed with him quickly.

mightymagpie

Post by mightymagpie » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 7:13 pm

tiger_one wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 5:11 pm
Glennb wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 2:04 pm
weststigerman wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 8:43 am
Sounds like I can switch from deathriding Parra (Moses) to deathriding Penrith.

I'd love to see them miss the 8 next year.
Why not both?
x2 LOL
Joint wooden spooners!

Post by 851 » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 7:23 pm

Telltails wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 6:35 pm
Perfect holiday time for Ivan but at some point he will have to come back and face the music. Another written statement I sense.
I never liked the re-signing of Farah and Benji, and then for him to sign with Gus, that just made it worse
Go hard or go home

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 8:10 pm

851 wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 7:23 pm
Telltails wrote:
I never liked the re-signing of Farah and Benji, and then for him to sign with Gus, that just made it worse
Same here and would likely be akin to a terrible hangover if he indeed departs promptly.

yeti

Post by yeti » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 9:30 pm

formerguest wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 8:10 pm
851 wrote:
Telltails wrote:
Same here and would likely be akin to a terrible hangover if he indeed departs promptly.
I don't mind the Farah signing so much, but he Benji signing - sigh!
Oh well, Uncle Wayne might sort it out - if he comes. At least he'll know who his captain will be and probably his top 17 too!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 9:55 pm

yeti wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 9:30 pm
formerguest wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 8:10 pm
851 wrote:
Telltails wrote:
I don't mind the Farah signing so much, but he Benji signing - sigh!
Oh well, Uncle Wayne might sort it out - if he comes. At least he'll know who his captain will be and probably his top 17 too!

Id rather Wayne come and reconnect with the other 5/8 he used to have in his system. He could sure use some coaching and support.
Its an opinion!

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 10:47 pm

looks like tigers have removed the bus slogan from the official twitter page.

come on down unca wayne !
No more plodders!
:sign:

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:19 am

If I was in charge of WT and it was true that Wayne Bennett wanted to come to the club I would sign him on a 3 year contract from 2020. I would also make Clearly honor his contract.
Clearly would be head coach until end of 2020.
Bennett to be director of coaching in 2020 with 100% control over all coaching.
Bennett head coach 2021-2022.

In my opinion this would open up 3 options.

Option 1.
Above plays out.

Result
Panthers have caretaker coach for 2 years.
Clearly forced to be puppet for Bennett in final year at WT.
Broncos have coach recruiting for WT in final year.

Thoughts
Very very unlikely result.

Option 2.
Clearly asks for a release from final year of contract.

Results.
Penrith to compensate WT for Clearly breaking last year of contract.
Penrith have caretaker coach for 1 year.
Broncos have coach recruiting for WT in final year.
Bennett takes over as head coach starting 2020.

Thoughts
Unlikely but maybe.

Option 3.
Clearly asks for a release to take up coaching position at Panthers immediately.

Results
Penrith to pay compensation to Tigers for Clearly to break contract 2 years early.
Penrith to pay any compensation Broncos ask for to release Bennett early.
Bennett signed for extra year and starts November 1st.

Thoughts
Most likely result.

Gus and Penrith see us as a weak organization and think they can bully us into doing what they want.

We need to show them, the NRL and our players that we are strong and will not be pushed around by anyone.

Tigers are the proud Kings of the jungle, its about time we started acting like it.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 7:06 am

Dallas wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:19 am

Gus and Penrith see us as a weak organization and think they can bully us into doing what they want.
Never a truer word spoken. Im sure Gus is even trying to get us to pay out Clearys contract.

He thinks they have outsmarted us.
Its an opinion!

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 7:17 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 9:17 am
Well that is hideously disappointing from Ivan.

Be the coach that your players want to play under mate.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind actually hearing from a pot shot from Mitch Moses regarding what was said about honouring contracts.
That would really hit ivan pretty hard

Go for it moses

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 8:35 am

Has Cleary begun his family Asian holiday. When does he come back from his holiday? Pre-season training begins in November. What is going on?

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 8:51 am

Newtown wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 8:35 am
Has Cleary begun his family Asian holiday. When does he come back from his holiday? Pre-season training begins in November. What is going on?
Going Sunday to Asia according to the article yesterday. You can get a good package deal for under three weeks and be back in time for pre-season training at Concord or Emu Plains dependent on the story written by the press.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:19 am

Wasn’t he on holiday when the GF lunch was on?