Wests Tigers Discussion
Dallas

Re: New coach.. Who should we target?

Post by Dallas » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:54 am

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 7:06 am
Dallas wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:19 am

Gus and Penrith see us as a weak organization and think they can bully us into doing what they want.
Never a truer word spoken. Im sure Gus is even trying to get us to pay out Clearys contract.

He thinks they have outsmarted us.
I think he is thinking worse case they get Clearly next year.
Best case is we pay for him to be there.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 10:08 am

helmesy wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:19 am
Wasn’t he on holiday when the GF lunch was on?
Wheeling and dealing behind people's back is extremely stressful, he needs a mental rest from thinking about knifing people who were actually good to him.

Post by 851 » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 11:00 am

Cleary can't possibly stay now, the damage is done, he has to go and we have to make sure either Bennett or Maguire are coming and get the best deal possible from Penrith
Go hard or go home

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:14 pm

We need a good communicator as a coach, as we've seen from employing IC. Bennett is that but Maguire from what I remember is not. We have to learn from the Taylor experience and employ coaches who communicate well with the players. I doubt also if players would be all that keen to play under Maguire after what happened at Souths.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:26 pm

851 wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 11:00 am
Cleary can't possibly stay now, the damage is done, he has to go and we have to make sure either Bennett or Maguire are coming and get the best deal possible from Penrith
Doubt IC will be here come ps training. Only a guess, I'd say it'll be WB on a 3 year deal. Demetriou will follow WB as one of his assistants at WT. Madge will take over at Brisbane.
No more plodders!
:sign:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:13 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:14 pm
We need a good communicator as a coach, as we've seen from employing IC. Bennett is that but Maguire from what I remember is not. We have to learn from the Taylor experience and employ coaches who communicate well with the players. I doubt also if players would be all that keen to play under Maguire after what happened at Souths.
What happened at Souths...do you mean Madge getting stale?
I doubt that would be a concern, stale with those players/team/gameplans etc...it would all be new here if he came and most good coaches play and utilise their strengths at their disposal....would be totally different

Sunnycoast tiger

Post by Sunnycoast tiger » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:15 pm

WT2K wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:26 pm
851 wrote:
Doubt IC will be here come ps training. Only a guess, I'd say it'll be WB on a 3 year deal. Demetriou will follow WB as one of his assistants at WT. Madge will take over at Brisbane.

If we sign Bennett and he brings Jason Demrtriou with he, Demrtiou can take over from Bennett in three years time. A win win for us.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:28 pm

Sunnycoast tiger wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:15 pm
WT2K wrote:
851 wrote:

If we sign Bennett and he brings Jason Demrtriou with he, Demrtiou can take over from Bennett in three years time. A win win for us.
That sounds like a plan

But what's the chances of 2 quality coaches leaving Brisbane in 1 year

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm

Sunnycoast tiger wrote:
WT2K wrote:
851 wrote:

Agree with this plan. We need a Greek in charge post Wayne. He has had success Assistant coach to Paul Green when cowboys won the premiership and also named NSW Cup coach of the year with the Dragons. Works with Wayne now and born in Kogarah + grew up a Tigers fan.

If Wayne has to stay a year I’d sign Demetriou now as coach until Wayne gets here so Cleary can go with his contact paid out.

Sunnycoast tiger

Post by Sunnycoast tiger » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:53 pm

TYGA wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm
Sunnycoast tiger wrote:
WT2K wrote:
851 wrote:

Agree with this plan. We need a Greek in charge post Wayne. He has had success Assistant coach to Paul Green when cowboys won the premiership and also named NSW Cup coach of the year with the Dragons. Works with Wayne now and born in Kogarah + grew up a Tigers fan.

If Wayne has to stay a year I’d sign Demetriou now as coach until Wayne gets here so Cleary can go with his contact paid out.
Sounds good , just need it to happen. Which maybe the hard part.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:57 pm

Cleary and Gus are confident that they've outsmarted us, I think, or at least avoided any compensation by Ivan saying he's happy to see out his contract. But can you imagine the barrage of abuse he would cop from his own club's fans after a loss? You'd be a nong to put yourself through that.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Post by 851 » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 4:51 pm

Sunnycoast tiger wrote:
WT2K wrote:
851 wrote:

That would be awsome, we sign 2 good coaches, Gus can watch on with envy when we finish in front of penrith
Go hard or go home

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:09 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 3:12 pm
I can see it being Penrith will just pay Cleary what he's getting from us for the next two seasons no more no less we wont get any compensation. The only other thing we can do is put Cleary on gardening leave and hope Penrith come to the party, Cleary has really boxed us into a corner i hope he falls flat on his face.
Not really. It's a negotiation. We can see what the best case scenario is for them and it's Ivan in 2019. They have the financial clout to achieve their best case scenario. They would be stupid not to pursue their best case scenario given they are in a premiership window. We are a road block to their best case scenario. We require compensation to remove ourselves as a road block.

On the other side of the coin they know we don't want a dead duck coach - that's not best case scenario for us. But they are the ones who initiated this; they are the ones who really can't afford to squander two years; and they are the ones with the sacks full of cash.

If we play hard ball they will pay. It may not be a huge amount but they will pay because it's better for them to cough up some cash to get what they really want than to try to put one over another club.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:30 pm

TYGA wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm
Sunnycoast tiger wrote:
WT2K wrote:
851 wrote:

Good idea TYGA

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:31 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:13 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 12:14 pm
What happened at Souths...do you mean Madge getting stale?
I doubt that would be a concern, stale with those players/team/gameplans etc...it would all be new here if he came and most good coaches play and utilise their strengths at their disposal....would be totally different
Maguire was all about physical fitness at Souths. Lack of good game plans was also an issue. Communication is the key and Bennett excels.
Last edited by Pawsandclaws on Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:31 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:09 pm
The_Doc wrote:
Fri 05 Oct, 2018 3:12 pm
I can see it being Penrith will just pay Cleary what he's getting from us for the next two seasons no more no less we wont get any compensation. The only other thing we can do is put Cleary on gardening leave and hope Penrith come to the party, Cleary has really boxed us into a corner i hope he falls flat on his face.
Not really. It's a negotiation. We can see what the best case scenario is for them and it's Ivan in 2019. They have the financial clout to achieve their best case scenario. They would be stupid not to pursue their best case scenario given they are in a premiership window. We are a road block to their best case scenario. We require compensation to remove ourselves as a road block.

On the other side of the coin they know we don't want a dead duck coach - that's not best case scenario for us. But they are the ones who initiated this; they are the ones who really can't afford to squander two years; and they are the ones with the sacks full of cash.

If we play hard ball they will pay. It may not be a huge amount but they will pay because it's better for them to cough up some cash to get what they really want than to try to put one over another club.
It will come down to who is the better negotiator. Gus will have the power to make a call and tell the board what has happened. Pascoe won't have that authority.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:35 pm

Check this video out, well worth a watch.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 5:35 pm

I am worried that having a coach of Bennett's age at the tigers could end badly.

A couple of fade outs or throwing away a lead could lead to blood pressure or coronary issues.