Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:34 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:31 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:13 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
Where there is smoke there is fire
Can I just say that is a dumb phrase and less and less relevant in today's high-scrutiny, 24-hour, instant internet media and social media cycles.

Sometimes where there's smoke it's a bloke cooking sausages with his family, and sometimes it's a block of dry ice evaporating. Sometimes it's not smoke, it's fog.

Please stop saying that because there's a story, there must be substance to whatever that story is.

Sure in this case Penrith have made some kind of move, but everything else is just fog and mist, nobody has a consistent line on what they are reporting. Paul Kent reckons Cleary himself asked to leave 2019, Fox Sports reported Cleary told the players he had a tough decision to make (Marina denied this), Gould says he knows nothing, Brent Read says he can't believe Cleary would consider going back to Penrith, Mole says he's both gone and not yet gone, Michael Chammas says there's a 4-year deal on the table starting next year, and that idiot James Pooper has stated that Nathan Cleary has already signed a 5-year deal this week, which has not been verified anywhere else.
I dont see Ivan having a BBQ and cold drinks
He is in hiding for a reason
Yeah he's "in hiding" because he's the centre of a something-storm, but that isn't evidence for his guilt or lack of guilt. That is if you call "in hiding" going about your normal business and not holding unplanned press conferences.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:34 pm

A win this weekend will forge this club
It would go a very long way in bonding our players and club
With or without Ivan

jai_donaldson

Post by jai_donaldson » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:45 pm

izotope wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:11 am
Whats the go with that melonhead hannah hollis saying how is panthers trying to poach Ivan any different from us ending the contracts of potter/jason taylor?

Am i the only one who thinks its completely different situations?
The difference is their results were terrible, recruitment terrible, retention terrible, created rifts within the playing group and most importantly they were both paid out. 100% agree with you both cases very different to current situation.

jai_donaldson

Post by jai_donaldson » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:48 pm

The players need to band together, dig deep and play for each other. The coach may leave but they have each other and all the fans and that should be the motivation to continue winning.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:08 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:13 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
Where there is smoke there is fire
Can I just say that is a dumb phrase and less and less relevant in today's high-scrutiny, 24-hour, instant internet media and social media cycles.
I must have read that phrase a hundred times when there were rumours that Benji and Farah hated each other.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:43 pm

Its probably just me,but I was a tad underwhelmed with Go(yet again).I don't wanna play the sexist card,but...am sure shes a nice person,and probably very competent in the world of magazine publishing,but playing the "its unethical" and "hes a father ,Im a mother"to support her arguments just doesn't wash against cut-throat operators like Gould/Politis etc,who wld play her off a break.
Naïve is probably the best description...

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:48 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:43 pm
Its probably just me,but I was a tad underwhelmed with Go(yet again).I don't wanna play the sexist card,but...am sure shes a nice person,and probably very competent in the world of magazine publishing,but playing the "its unethical" and "hes a father ,Im a mother"to support her arguments just doesn't wash against cut-throat operators like Gould/Politis etc,who wld play her off a break.
On what basis? And do you include Pascoe in that assessment?

I'm not sure what more you realistically expect from her here.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:48 pm
clontarfkid wrote:

I expecte/ed her a Pascoe to drag Ivan’s sooky arse out in front of the cameras for a explanation !

How longs this crap going drag out for ?
November / next January??
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm not sure it's in her powers or interest to force Cleary to do an interview. Right now she's basically controlling the narrative from his perspective.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 6:06 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm
Yossarian wrote:
clontarfkid wrote:

I expecte/ed her a Pascoe to drag Ivan’s sooky arse out in front of the cameras for a explanation !

If you think that's how today's society works then you are seriously mistaken hobbo.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 6:07 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
I think the only naïvety is to underestimate her.

The "hes a father ,Im a mother" comments showed empathy. I want our management to be measured, professional, human and not spiteful. I thought she was. Perfect foil for Pascoe's front to the media.

Besides, the parent card is the very angle Gould would be hamming up right about now. It's about the only one he has.

Remember, Gould was the one calling her, chasing her for a chat. She didn't pick up or even call back. As she said, she's got nothing to talk about right now.
It's just business and all she cares about is the Tigers. Kudos.

Maybe I'm sexist too, because I love having a powerful woman in my corner. :)
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 7:16 pm

Actually I thought Pascoe was quite impressive,and so too Anthony Griffen(who I didn't really rate until hearing his well told story last nite)which were both a hard act for Marina to follow.And the gals on League life gave her a relatively easy ride cf to a Fox 360 pack of wolves
Time well tell..."empathy" as you call it, and lotsa post game hugs and kisses didn't work so well in retaining the big 3 last year,,nor in getting Farah to behave appropriately,and am still disappointed in the handling of Jt regardless of the merits or otherwise.Understand there are alternative views,but sacked just 3 weeks into the season is as meritorious as Gould flipping Griffen now.
All on Marinas watch,but to be fair so was the recruitment of Cleary which was quite a coup given our dire circumstances at the time.
NRL is a tough gig,with scheming manipulative and charismatic players above and beyond anything most of us have experienced(me included)….I honestly hope she proves me wrong,but suspect shes taking a knife to a gunfight.
As for the alternatives,a seasoned operator like Trodden wld definitely be an alternative,but his best buy date may be behind him

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 7:34 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Her comments and arguments on this show aren't aimed at Gould/politis, they are aimed squarely in the court of public opinion and her measured, calm, collected and sensible approach will compete VERY well against Gould in that particular arena.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 8:34 pm

coivtny wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:39 am
weststigers wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:06 am
coivtny wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:42 pm
weststigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:14 pm

Eerrr...who said anything negative about Go in this thread?
One comment said she was big noting (my words) herself about attending non-WT board meetings.
No such comment in this thread. No one even mentioned her other board meetings. You can relax mate...this thread is a Marina Go love fest
OK so my mistake was saying the negative comments were in this thread. They are evident in other threads and thanks but I was already relaxed.
Awesome - just checking

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:13 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:58 pm
Yossarian wrote:
clontarfkid wrote:

It will last as long as you and others keep going on about it. And on and on and on.

If you must keep going with this, how about going after Gus and the Panthers board, instead of our club and coach, They have done nothing wrong.

While you're at it,put the boot into the NRL as well. A mob of gutless tools.

:rant :rant :rant

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:24 pm

jai_donaldson wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:45 pm
izotope wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:11 am
Whats the go with that melonhead hannah hollis saying how is panthers trying to poach Ivan any different from us ending the contracts of potter/jason taylor?

Am i the only one who thinks its completely different situations?
The difference is their results were terrible, recruitment terrible, retention terrible, created rifts within the playing group and most importantly they were both paid out. 100% agree with you both cases very different to current situation.
The main difference is that our club did not try to influence another clubs coach to break a contract. They advertised for one.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:35 pm

Many have been impressed by Go

Rebecca Frizelle was much better straight after imo

LCA

Post by LCA » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 6:37 am

the third wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 7:51 pm
Cancelled Foxtel last week. This week deleted ch9. I made the wrong call.
No mate. Deleting Channel 9 is what everyone should do. Well done, you!