Re: Marina Go on League Life

Post by weststigers » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:06 am

coivtny wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:42 pm
weststigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:14 pm
coivtny wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:06 pm
Just saw the interview on replay. I thought Marina Go was absolutely spot on with everything she said, and I have previously not been her biggest fan. We are in good shape with her chairing the board.
Some of the negativity about her in this thread is hard to fathom. She is the real deal.
Eerrr...who said anything negative about Go in this thread?
One comment said she was big noting (my words) herself about attending non-WT board meetings.
No such comment in this thread. No one even mentioned her other board meetings. You can relax mate...this thread is a Marina Go love fest

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:32 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 9:31 pm
Kul wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 9:29 pm
I swear some members on this forum are going through an existential crisis at the moment! One minute it's "I hate Ivan raaahh! Untenable! Rahhh!" then suddenly "omg let me have his babies"
The backtracking if he stays on. And if he re-signs. My God. Hilarious.
Wrong i don't think anyone is back tracking , don't you worry Ivan has played his part in getting something organised at the Panthers .
Personally Cleary ain't no Bellamy , he always seemed an honourable bloke and if he had no intentions in going anywhere he would of come out by now and said so along the lines of " i Have a Contract here at the Wests Tigers and i will be honouring it " .
If your Clubs CEO comes out and says " if he asks for a release ? it will be denied " that is what fans want to see....well i certainly do , don't care if he wants to go in 2 years time but don't fold at a potential request and make our Club look piss weak , that's what matters most to me .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:45 am

mtd

Post by mtd » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 7:33 am

I thoufht some of the panellist were trying their best to make her crack.
go is good

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 7:42 am

I like her. She has obviously upset some in the media previously and they have tried to hunt her, otherwise people are having a stab at her being a token woman. You'll get that and I think she expects that, shows more about the person than her.

The interview was exactly what I wanted to see from our Chairman. Better than interviews given by other chairmen, thats for sure.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Coasttiger

Post by Coasttiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 8:04 am

This whole saga has been handled extremely well by Go and Pascoe so far.
Great to see such a professional change in how we as a club handle adversity.

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 8:46 am

weststigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:08 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 8:11 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 8:05 pm
Can't understand the hate for her

She does everything for the club
The hate will solely be because she's a 'she' and not a 'he' - gender bias runs deep. She has done a great job under some very trying circumstances, as has Pascoe.
The “hate” was that she didn’t have a clue what was going on when we appointed her.

Further, she was appointed based on her gender rather than merit.

No one cares about the fact she’s a woman - it’s only ever been about getting the right people for the right job.

The same “hate” was being spoken about the other clowns running the place at the time.

The “hate” was criticism, not sexism. Let’s not confuse the two.
The main point is - she was the right person for the job, no matter what she was. She has proven this over the last few years in spades and is still proving it.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 8:49 am

I'm proud how our CEO and Chair have responded to this Cleary situation.

This has been initiated all by Gus and when you compare how the two clubs have represented themselves over this saga the last 2 days its chalk and cheese...they may well have the better facilities and roster(for now), but I know who has the better Leaders and its clearly the WT....and that will not be lost on people... Well done Pascoe and Go!!

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:00 am

Telltails wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:29 pm
Ivan is not innocent in this he is however benefiting by Gould and the Panthers being hammered by everyone for the arrogance of
1. sacking a perfectly good coach who has done a good job 4 weeks before the finals.
2. Approaching Cleary for all the reasons that suck about that - that we have all discussed a thousand times already.
Will be interesting to see how both teams go this weekend after the turmoil.
I have always had a soft spot for penrith - but after this mess i hope they implode - end up in the bottom half of the 8 and go out 1st game. Hard on the players but it would be great to see the players, supporters and stakeholders turn on Gould for destroying their season. Unfortunately it could go the other way and Gould is lauded as the messiah.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:09 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:00 pm
hobbo wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:58 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:54 pm
hobbo wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:48 pm

Ivan needs to front the media before the raiders game ....
I wonder ........ is he timing this as a motivation for the Raiders game?

Saturday: Pascoe, Go and Cleary announce 3 yr extension
Sunday: 84-2 Tigers

No? Overthinking it?
Maybe ?

Doubt it .... too early

I wish !

Probably :lol:
That’s how we’re all thinking at the moment!!
Yes
No
Who knows
Turn around, start again :D
The Gould/Cleary Hokie pokie?
You put your left assumption in,
pull your left assumption out,
you put your left assumption in and you shake it all about
do the Gould/Cleary hokie pokie and you turn around
that's what it's all about
Last edited by NT Tiger on Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Quality Stupidity"

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:09 am

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:00 am
Telltails wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:29 pm
Ivan is not innocent in this he is however benefiting by Gould and the Panthers being hammered by everyone for the arrogance of
1. sacking a perfectly good coach who has done a good job 4 weeks before the finals.
2. Approaching Cleary for all the reasons that suck about that - that we have all discussed a thousand times already.
Will be interesting to see how both teams go this weekend after the turmoil.
I have always had a soft spot for penrith - but after this mess i hope they implode - end up in the bottom half of the 8 and go out 1st game. Hard on the players but it would be great to see the players, supporters and stakeholders turn on Gould for destroying their season. Unfortunately it could go the other way and Gould is lauded as the messiah.
Gould is not the messiah he is just a naughty boy

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:10 am

Kul wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 9:29 pm
I swear some members on this forum are going through an existential crisis at the moment! One minute it's "I hate Ivan raaahh! Untenable! Rahhh!" then suddenly "omg let me have his babies"
..............and it's the most entertainment value this forum has provided for a while!
"Quality Stupidity"

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:13 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
Where there is smoke there is fire
Can I just say that is a dumb phrase and less and less relevant in today's high-scrutiny, 24-hour, instant internet media and social media cycles.

Sometimes where there's smoke it's a bloke cooking sausages with his family, and sometimes it's a block of dry ice evaporating. Sometimes it's not smoke, it's fog.

Please stop saying that because there's a story, there must be substance to whatever that story is.

Sure in this case Penrith have made some kind of move, but everything else is just fog and mist, nobody has a consistent line on what they are reporting. Paul Kent reckons Cleary himself asked to leave 2019, Fox Sports reported Cleary told the players he had a tough decision to make (Marina denied this), Gould says he knows nothing, Brent Read says he can't believe Cleary would consider going back to Penrith, Mole says he's both gone and not yet gone, Michael Chammas says there's a 4-year deal on the table starting next year, and that idiot James Pooper has stated that Nathan Cleary has already signed a 5-year deal this week, which has not been verified anywhere else.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:18 am

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:13 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Can I just say that is a dumb phrase and less and less relevant in today's high-scrutiny, 24-hour, instant internet media and social media cycles.

Sometimes where there's smoke it's a bloke cooking sausages with his family, and sometimes it's a block of dry ice evaporating. Sometimes it's not smoke, it's fog.

Please stop saying that because there's a story, there must be substance to whatever that story is.

Sure in this case Penrith have made some kind of move, but everything else is just fog and mist, nobody has a consistent line on what they are reporting. Paul Kent reckons Cleary himself asked to leave 2019, Fox Sports reported Cleary told the players he had a tough decision to make (Marina denied this), Gould says he knows nothing, Brent Read says he can't believe Cleary would consider going back to Penrith, Mole says he's both gone and not yet gone, Michael Chammas says there's a 4-year deal on the table starting next year, and that idiot James Pooper has stated that Nathan Cleary has already signed a 5-year deal this week, which has not been verified anywhere else.
In regards to that moron Hooper, his title states that N Cleary has signed but the article says Penrith have tabled an extension. The title is just a hook to get people to click into the article. Absolute garbage
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:35 am

Everyone is praising Go for her interview and I agree - she came across brilliantly.
But I’d like to pick up on a couple of things:

At one point she intimated she hadn’t rung Gould back because she had been so busy but later said there was nothing to do at present because Ivan had not requested a release. I find this contradictory.

Also she said Ivan had not fronted the media because he was shy and didn’t really like to front the media. I thought this was clutching at straws.

I think she has been extremely busy:
- developing a strategy
- handling the media
- responding to Ivan’s request for a release maybe
- seeing who else is available

There is so much lying, deflecting and spin at the moment - gotta be more to it imo
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:39 am

weststigers wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:06 am
coivtny wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:42 pm
weststigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:14 pm
coivtny wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:06 pm
Just saw the interview on replay. I thought Marina Go was absolutely spot on with everything she said, and I have previously not been her biggest fan. We are in good shape with her chairing the board.
Some of the negativity about her in this thread is hard to fathom. She is the real deal.
Eerrr...who said anything negative about Go in this thread?
One comment said she was big noting (my words) herself about attending non-WT board meetings.
No such comment in this thread. No one even mentioned her other board meetings. You can relax mate...this thread is a Marina Go love fest
OK so my mistake was saying the negative comments were in this thread. They are evident in other threads and thanks but I was already relaxed.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:41 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:54 pm
hobbo wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:48 pm
Cairnstigers wrote:
It is always the case
Alot of things went down but there is plenty of denying and sweeping under the rug going on
It's no over yet
Just delayed
I cant see Ivan lasting the full term now
Panthers need a coach next year
If not Ivan then they may be forced into a 3 or 4 year deal with another coach
That won't work for Ivan
Ivan needs to front the media before the raiders game ....
I wonder ........ is he timing this as a motivation for the Raiders game?

Saturday: Pascoe, Go and Cleary announce 3 yr extension
Sunday: 84-2 Tigers

No? Overthinking it?
Not at all, makes great sense. My only issue is your score. I think we'll struggle to get past 60 (for, not against).

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:09 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:35 am
Everyone is praising Go for her interview and I agree - she came across brilliantly.
But I’d like to pick up on a couple of things:

At one point she intimated she hadn’t rung Gould back because she had been so busy but later said there was nothing to do at present because Ivan had not requested a release. I find this contradictory.

Also she said Ivan had not fronted the media because he was shy and didn’t really like to front the media. I thought this was clutching at straws.

I think she has been extremely busy:
- developing a strategy
- handling the media
- responding to Ivan’s request for a release maybe
- seeing who else is available

There is so much lying, deflecting and spin at the moment - gotta be more to it imo
I can see what you're saying and I think we essentially agree. But I took the comments about ringing Gould back differently. I understood it to be that Gould has rung her and given she has nothing really to say to him, it isn't a priority to ring him back (especially given that there was no news and nothing to talk about), but she will when time permits. I also suspect she would make the call when someone else was with her, which I think is sensible.

The part I found a little weak was the response about why Ivan hasn't fronted the media. I would have been much firmer on this response. I would have said, " We have instructed Ivan not to talk with the media just at the moment, given there is so much misinformation in the news and we don't want anything he says, does, doesn't do or doesn't say to be taken out of context. We have instructed him, as our coach, to prepare for the game on Sunday and myself as Chairman and Justin as CEO will respond to any real issues that appear in the media"

I still think she was very good.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!