Wests Tigers Discussion
Tiger Steve

Re: Marina Go on League Life

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:13 am

Swordy wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:09 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:35 am
Everyone is praising Go for her interview and I agree - she came across brilliantly.
But I’d like to pick up on a couple of things:

At one point she intimated she hadn’t rung Gould back because she had been so busy but later said there was nothing to do at present because Ivan had not requested a release. I find this contradictory.

Also she said Ivan had not fronted the media because he was shy and didn’t really like to front the media. I thought this was clutching at straws.

I think she has been extremely busy:
- developing a strategy
- handling the media
- responding to Ivan’s request for a release maybe
- seeing who else is available

There is so much lying, deflecting and spin at the moment - gotta be more to it imo
I can see what you're saying and I think we essentially agree. But I took the comments about ringing Gould back differently. I understood it to be that Gould has rung her and given she has nothing really to say to him, it isn't a priority to ring him back (especially given that there was no news and nothing to talk about), but she will when time permits. I also suspect she would make the call when someone else was with her, which I think is sensible.

The part I found a little weak was the response about why Ivan hasn't fronted the media. I would have been much firmer on this response. I would have said, " We have instructed Ivan not to talk with the media just at the moment, given there is so much misinformation in the news and we don't want anything he says, does, doesn't do or doesn't say to be taken out of context. We have instructed him, as our coach, to prepare for the game on Sunday and myself as Chairman and Justin as CEO will respond to any real issues that appear in the media"

I still think she was very good.
Your response to the media question is perfect I reckon.
And yes - I thought she was very good as well.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:30 am

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 8:05 pm
Can't understand the hate for her

She does everything for the club

I think its the two bumps on her chest.

magpiesteve

Post by magpiesteve » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:32 am

The reference to Brooks & Reyolds was in the context of Nathan coming to Wests. ie Wests are committed to those two but as Ivan has full control of the team its up to him to fit nathan in - if he wants him. I agree - Go was strong & impressive.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:39 am

She is not letting that narcist get away with anything which would hurt our club. Good work.

izotope

Post by izotope » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:11 am

Whats the go with that melonhead hannah hollis saying how is panthers trying to poach Ivan any different from us ending the contracts of potter/jason taylor?

Am i the only one who thinks its completely different situations?
tigers!

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:53 am

izotope wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:11 am
Whats the go with that melonhead hannah hollis saying how is panthers trying to poach Ivan any different from us ending the contracts of potter/jason taylor?

Its idiots like elephant head Hollis that are misinformed and trying to palm herself off as a journo.

Potter's contract ran out and was not renewed. Big Deal.

Taylor's was terminated because of performance and that is our choice, where he was paid out. We then didn't go and try and poach another well and truly contracted coach.

I didn't understand the similarity either, but Go's response was good. We don't want sympathy, but we do the best for the club in an ethical way.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:55 am

izotope wrote:

Yes it is completely different. We never tried to poach a coach who still has two years to run on his contract and has only just laid the foundations of his highly regarded coaching and connection with his players. Also we never went behind the back of coach's club to entice the coach away from his club.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:55 am

izotope wrote:

Totally different

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm

tiger05premier wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:55 am
izotope wrote:

Totally different
Just balancing the discussion. In view of us aiming to lure Nathan Cleary over before his contract expires and breaking contracts with Taylor and Farah we have to own that. I thought it was fair enough and Go responded well.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:48 pm

izotope wrote:

She's a wt supporter too.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:08 pm

Was great to see Go shut down the 2 airheads in Pitt and Hollis when they tried to trip her up. Those 2 are a perfect example of looks getting the job instead of knowledge, no amount of batting your eyelids can put brains into your head. You could see the looks of embarrassment on their faces when Marina smashed both of their ridiculous questions to the boundary fence. They both shut up immediately and stayed silent thereafter, it was brilliant.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:17 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 8:21 pm
Telltails wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 8:09 pm
So according to Marina Go Ivan has been approached by Penrith but .........
No board meeting tonight
No ask for a release
No discussion with players about making a tough family decision
Business as usual and Ivan loves the club.
Ivans choice not to talk to media because.......
All of the above I guess.
I was ready to hang him out to dry ..... he has a reprieve atm
Gould however after tonights revelations any coach who can work with him deserves to be paid very highly .......on a hiding to nothing.
I honestly think Gould should stop mucking around and just coach the bloody team himself! That's 3 coaches now who have not lived up to his expectations. A former coach coming in to be the club boss is never a good move. No coach will be able to do it like the former coach could himself. Gould has to let go of the reins and allow the coaches he hires to coach the team their way. If he can't do that, then just do it yourself and stop bullying people into trying to do things your way all the time.
Gus would have to be accountable for what happens then

He loves it , they lose he blames the coach

He wins and he is the genius

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:24 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:08 pm
Was great to see Go shut down the 2 airheads in Pitt and Hollis when they tried to trip her up. Those 2 are a perfect example of looks getting the job instead of knowledge, no amount of batting your eyelids can put brains into your head. You could see the looks of embarrassment on their faces when Marina smashed both of their ridiculous questions to the boundary fence. They both shut up immediately and stayed silent thereafter, it was brilliant.
I wouldn't go that far but I do feel that Hollis and Lara Pitt try to say the things that sound like smart things to say, i.e. they try try to wind in a bit of controversy but their connections are usually quite clumsy. They also abandon their line of questioning almost as soon as the interviewee responds.

E.g. isn't this like when you fired Taylor - well no, because we fired Taylor and hired an out-of-work coach, same as we did when we hooked Sheens. Every club hooks coaches and nobody is decrying Penrith's right to do the same thing, the only sticking point is trying to incite an opposition coach to breach his contract.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:31 pm

Telltails wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
izotope wrote:

Totally different
Just balancing the discussion. In view of us aiming to lure Nathan Cleary over before his contract expires and breaking contracts with Taylor and Farah we have to own that. I thought it was fair enough and Go responded well.
People get forced out of clubs all the time. In the case of Taylor and Farah they eventually reached agreements to depart. Both were entitled to receive their contracted payments. As far as I know our attempts to lure Nathan Cleary have gone no further that his dad talking it up. There is zero evidence indicating anyone else from WT has discussed the matter with Nathan.

All the above is very different to making offers to contacted staff without the knowledge of their employer.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:33 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:17 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Telltails wrote:
No board meeting tonight
No ask for a release
Gould however after tonights revelations any coach who can work with him deserves to be paid very highly .......on a hiding to nothing.
I honestly think Gould should stop mucking around and just coach the bloody team himself! That's 3 coaches now who have not lived up to his expectations. A former coach coming in to be the club boss is never a good move. No coach will be able to do it like the former coach could himself. Gould has to let go of the reins and allow the coaches he hires to coach the team their way. If he can't do that, then just do it yourself and stop bullying people into trying to do things your way all the time.

Hence the sacking four weeks out from finals.Never seen a team sit 4th 4 weeks out from the finals and have a coach be sacked.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:35 pm

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:33 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:17 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Telltails wrote:
No board meeting tonight
No ask for a release

Hence the sacking four weeks out from finals.Never seen a team sit 4th 4 weeks out from the finals and have a coach be sacked.
Stupid thing is this Kerry , if Penrith lost v Canberra , Griffin still has a job :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy

Gus marches to the beat of his own drum

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 3:09 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:31 pm
Telltails wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
izotope wrote:

Totally different
People get forced out of clubs all the time. In the case of Taylor and Farah they eventually reached agreements to depart. Both were entitled to receive their contracted payments. As far as I know our attempts to lure Nathan Cleary have gone no further that his dad talking it up. There is zero evidence indicating anyone else from WT has discussed the matter with Nathan.

All the above is very different to making offers to contacted staff without the knowledge of their employer.
Exactly. Some people unfortunately are not elligent enough to understand these glaring differences.
The media types around the NRL would surely be up there amongst the worst sports journalists on Earth IMO. Hooper, Massoud, Mole, Hollis, Pitt etc wouldn't know a footy from a frankfurt and therefore just pluck stories out of thin air to generate controversy/ interest in a desperate attempt to justify their jobs.
Kent and pufferfish Crawley aren't much better, even though Kent made it to 1st grade he is full of garbage to push his own agendas.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:31 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:13 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Wed 08 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
Where there is smoke there is fire
Can I just say that is a dumb phrase and less and less relevant in today's high-scrutiny, 24-hour, instant internet media and social media cycles.

Sometimes where there's smoke it's a bloke cooking sausages with his family, and sometimes it's a block of dry ice evaporating. Sometimes it's not smoke, it's fog.

Please stop saying that because there's a story, there must be substance to whatever that story is.

Sure in this case Penrith have made some kind of move, but everything else is just fog and mist, nobody has a consistent line on what they are reporting. Paul Kent reckons Cleary himself asked to leave 2019, Fox Sports reported Cleary told the players he had a tough decision to make (Marina denied this), Gould says he knows nothing, Brent Read says he can't believe Cleary would consider going back to Penrith, Mole says he's both gone and not yet gone, Michael Chammas says there's a 4-year deal on the table starting next year, and that idiot James Pooper has stated that Nathan Cleary has already signed a 5-year deal this week, which has not been verified anywhere else.
I dont see Ivan having a BBQ and cold drinks
He is in hiding for a reason