Wests Tigers Discussion
vlad

Re: Cleary vs Paul Crawley

Post by vlad » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 6:04 am

Ivan Cleary’s calculated silence tarnishes Wests Tigers’ 22-20 win over Raiders
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
August 12, 2018 7:27pm
Subscriber only

WESTS Tigers got the two points, but their fans have been sold a dummy.

They were put through the ringer all last week over talk surrounding Ivan Cleary’s ­future.

And even now that Cleary has stated he won’t be going, for now at least, for some reason the Tigers coach still doesn’t want to come clean on just how close he was to jumping off the bus and joining his son Nathan at Penrith.

In the aftermath of Sunday’s get-out-of-jail 22-20 win over Canberra that kept the Tigers’ slim finals hopes alive, Cleary continued to play a little schoolyard game of “I know something you don’t know” by not answering some simple questions.

Cleary accused the media of spreading “misinformation” about the situation, despite Penrith supremo Phil Gould having revealed he sacked Anthony Griffin because talks with Cleary and the Panthers had advanced to a point where it would place too much pressure on Griffin to continue.

Even Griffin confirmed he was told the day Gould sacked him that Cleary would be his replacement.

Tigers chair Marina Go and chief executive Justin Pascoe publicly addressed the issue, declaring they would not release Cleary.

But it seems the only person who can give complete clarity to the story is the man whose silence remains deafening. The Daily Telegraph attempted to contract Cleary last Monday night when rumours first emerged, offering him the opportunity to clarify the situation, but he did not return calls or text messages.

In fact, even as the story engulfed the game and ultimately cost Griffin his job, Cleary still refused to address the issue until Saturday when he read from a prepared speech at the Tigers’ captain’s run and still refused to take questions on the subject.

Cleary said after Sunday’s game in Canberra that he was “very proud” of the players and the way they started after jumping to a 16-0 lead in the first quarter following the sin-binning of Joey Leilua, when the Tigers raced in three quick tries.

“I thought we really came to play,” Cleary said.

Asked if that was a surprise given the week, Cleary said: “You’d have to ask the boys.

“All I can say is that I never once saw them anything other than completely focused on their preparation.”

Russell Packer tried to make out it was a big joke but, really, Cleary is the one who should be answering the questions given the heartache Tigers fans have been feeling.

But he maintained last night: “I’m not going to talk.”

Asked about the so-called “misinformation” he referred to on Saturday, he said: “I’m sure you can find the misinformation … I’m not going to talk about it.

“I get it has been a big story but I said my position yesterday and I am not going to talk about it.”

The problem for the Tigers is that despite his assurance that it is his “intention” to honour his contract, the rumours won’t go away.

Some people in very high places are convinced this story is only on hold until the end of the season.

After leading 16-0 midway through the first half, the Tigers went into the final quarter up 22-20 and it looked like the Raiders were coming to get them. But the Tigers held on for a valuable win that moved them to 24 competition points with remaining games against St George Illawarra this Saturday followed by Manly and South Sydney.

Brisbane are just ahead in eighth spot on 26 competition points with remaining games against South Sydney on Thursday and then the Sydney Roosters and Manly.

----------------

one of the worst match reports I've ever seen by a so called journalist .

get out of jail wins arent ones that a team leads all game .

accuses Ivan of playing schoolyard games of I know something you dont know & goes on to allude of "some people in very high places" . Who are these "some people" paul ? Is that a schoolyard game ?

Packer was right , you are a joke , paul .

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 6:15 am

Severe butthurt response from Crawler

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 6:23 am

Even Griffin confirmed he was told the day Gould sacked him that Cleary would be his replacement.
Havent heard this one before.
More journo lies, or ''misinformation"?
Statement has plenty of holes in it tho

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 6:49 am

"the rumours won’t go away" Not with (edited) like him trying their best to fan the dying embers of a media beat up fire.

"Severe butthurt response from Crawler" Yes, Ink, exactly.
"Quality Stupidity"

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 7:18 am

There’s only one person who looks foolish from that article and press conference.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 7:20 am

All crawley is doing is reducing his own credibility even more if it was possible.Another news ltd hack

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 7:57 am

Does Creepy Crawley post here under an assumed name ? That article could have been written by some of our fellow posters.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:07 am

Cleary very brief prepared press conference left the door open for every two bob Jurno to take pop shots at him and these shots are not going to stop in the near future. I just think Ivan has to accept the fact he is going to be a media target as in a lot of people’s minds he left a lot of things unsaid.

Although as I said a while ago, he has openly committed to the Tigers for two years as per his contract so what has happened in the past is water under the bridge. Nothing he says about the events of last week really matter it’s all history and out of respect for some old friends, and the fact his son still plays at Penrith he probably doesn’t want to dump on them

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:16 am

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:23 am

Paul Crawley = Hobbo?

razzledazzle

Post by razzledazzle » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:32 am

What a rubbish article. Mainstream news media has turned into the tabloids that they used to look down on. I have no idea where to get reliable sports new any more.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:40 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 6:23 am
Havent heard this one before.
More journo lies, or ''misinformation"?
Statement has plenty of holes in it tho
Rothfield said this last night aswell. Why does something said to Griffen by Penrith have to be addressed by Cleary?

He went all the to Canberra to write this? And he'll bang on about it tonight on 360 too no doubt.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:42 am

Cleary will be copping heat from Gus's minions for a while. He will already have them pegged.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:42 am

Someone needs to rush some Prep H around to Crawley's place. What a bloody child, he didn't play up to his questions so he wrote a hatchet piece.

Fool.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:45 am

I don't mind fans and members (I.e. WT Stakeholders) having issues with Cleary but he is still our coach and I will defend his integrity over Crawley's simply because he isn't a scumbag gutter feeding news corp "journalist"

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:51 am

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 7:20 am
All crawley is doing is reducing his own credibility even more if it was possible.Another news ltd hack
I can't believe you put Crawley credibility and News LTD in the one sentence..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:52 am

:righton:
MacDougall wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:23 am
Paul Crawley = Hobbo?
:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:52 am

No one from News would have had any idea. The club doesn't talk to that alco Rothfield and his band of gossip columnists. They were taking speculation and half truths and writing stories as gospel.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...