Wests Tigers Discussion
hsvjones

Re: Forward analysis

Post by hsvjones » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 4:55 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 2:52 pm
Packer does not make many meters at all and we all know that.. However he seems to bring the best out of the team and does the little things.. This is evident in our games when he goes off we tend to let in point (last 20 mins of 1st half ) and the (1st 20 mins of the 2nd half).. Clearly yesterday once he come back on the raiders slowed down..

Thoughts on Ben M - I actually though yesterday on 2 occasions if he was a damaging runner like the raiders forwards were he would of scored but just gave in for the tackle.

I would drop him instead of packer but agree with most others that we need to buy 2 damaging runners E.g. Marty Taupau, Fonus-Blake etc...
Mats was one of our best - why would you drop him?
No not drop him but would love to see some more aggression from him.. He would of scored yesterday if he had shown some of this.
I would have him on the bench if we can recruit an explosive forward for next year..

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 5:00 pm

hsvjones wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 4:55 pm
Russell wrote:
hsvjones wrote:
Packer does not make many meters at all and we all know that.. However he seems to bring the best out of the team and does the little things.. This is evident in our games when he goes off we tend to let in point (last 20 mins of 1st half ) and the (1st 20 mins of the 2nd half).. Clearly yesterday once he come back on the raiders slowed down..

Thoughts on Ben M - I actually though yesterday on 2 occasions if he was a damaging runner like the raiders forwards were he would of scored but just gave in for the tackle.

I would drop him instead of packer but agree with most others that we need to buy 2 damaging runners E.g. Marty Taupau, Fonus-Blake etc...
No not drop him but would love to see some more aggression from him.. He would of scored yesterday if he had shown some of this.
I would have him on the bench if we can recruit an explosive forward for next year..
Matulino has been great, I thought he was our best forward yesterday.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:34 pm

double post
Last edited by formerguest on Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:37 pm

Ivan plays our middle a little differently to all the others and is tweaking it again post Robbie's arrival.

Whilst big Russ is not having the impact that he showed early on, along with Mats in particular, we are much stronger in the guts when they are on the field. You only have to look back to yesterday to see how they took back the middle from a rampant Canberra within minutes of returning to the field. Reckon that you could just about get by using your fingers to count the total number of minutes that an opposition has controlled the middle when Mats has been on the field this season.

The pair cover so much ground to regularly be in position as our 'A' defenders, covering an extra meter or so either side than many of their peers to make it soIid as, plus they work hard from marker. I also much prefer not watching our lead front rower going derrière first into the defensive line and dancing for an eternity.

You are right about Matt, he has really stepped up of late. As for Alex, I dunno. He has me confused, as I watch him work so well, tough as granite and he even broke into a canter for a few runs a while back. Still, there is a reason that the coach has changed things up and without looking for particular things, likely simply because his presence has generally coincided with us getting pumped on the scoreboard.

Elijah, well someone has to do the work and counting the hours until Chris returns.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:43 pm

I like Packer and Matulino the defensive work is first rate. Matilino in particular makes key tackles regularly and when he hits they stay hit. Packer needs to get his running game back but he leads our D Line and slows down the ruck. They don’t play big minutes which, is deceptive when looking at yardage stats.
Sue gets the easy metres against bench players or tiring forwards.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 9:11 pm

Plenty to like but could do with a couple of additions.

Mats has been good last couple of games.

Packer played 36mins yesterday. Only twal and liddle had less game time. Post contact mtrs 30 and had the quickest play of the ball of all the forwards.

I havent noticed but does anyone know if or how many line breaks/mtrs we make after he takes a hit up? I wonder if he lays a platform? Should probably be coming off the bench if we had another prop. this year i would say im glad he is out there. I think other players lift when he is on the park.

Also anyone know why Twal is playing less game time?

And hasnt Garner got some pace, the way he chased down Farah's kick and make the tackle.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 9:17 pm

hsvjones wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 4:55 pm
Russell wrote:
hsvjones wrote:

To be fair to Matulino though that tackle by Soliola on him in the 2nd half was arguably the best tackle so far this season- he chopped him down with a gem of a low tackle that not many blokes in the NRL would have broken through.
Ben was fantastic in defence himself yesterday.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:24 pm

hobbo wrote:
Righto ....you’ve asked for it and here it is ...

The Russell Packer plodder scale !

Speed 5/5
Explosiveness 4/5
Ability 3/5
Experience/ number of games 2/5
Wrongness of head 5/5

Total 19/25

The higher the score the more the effective ploddering !

Unfortunately lack of speed , explosiveness and wrongness of head make him a plodder .
Sounds more like the Eisenhuth/Aloiai scale to me.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 4:13 pm

Saw an old game on Fox the other day that had Packer running hard and needing multiple players to bring him down.

Great post contact metres and quick play the balls.

Have not seen that this year unfortunately

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 6:23 pm

formerguest wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:37 pm
Ivan plays our middle a little differently to all the others and is tweaking it again post Robbie's arrival.

Whilst big Russ is not having the impact that he showed early on, along with Mats in particular, we are much stronger in the guts when they are on the field. You only have to look back to yesterday to see how they took back the middle from a rampant Canberra within minutes of returning to the field. Reckon that you could just about get by using your fingers to count the total number of minutes that an opposition has controlled the middle when Mats has been on the field this season.

The pair cover so much ground to regularly be in position as our 'A' defenders, covering an extra meter or so either side than many of their peers to make it soIid as, plus they work hard from marker. I also much prefer not watching our lead front rower going derrière first into the defensive line and dancing for an eternity.

You are right about Matt, he has really stepped up of late. As for Alex, I dunno. He has me confused, as I watch him work so well, tough as granite and he even broke into a canter for a few runs a while back. Still, there is a reason that the coach has changed things up and without looking for particular things, likely simply because his presence has generally coincided with us getting pumped on the scoreboard.

Elijah, well someone has to do the work and counting the hours until Chris returns.
Thank you for your thoughtful post.

the third

Post by the third » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 7:47 pm

Common sense like this not expected. Hats off sir

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 7:46 am

When Packerlino play we are 10 wins 6 losses
When 1 doesent play we are 1 win, 4 losses

The 1 win was too a horrible Manly side and the 4 losses were Eels, Knights, Titans which we needed to win as well as getting spanked by the Warriors. These are the games that cost us our season

Anyone who doesen't understand the value Packer brings is just looking at a couple of stats and not watching footy or even looking at a full range of stats

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 8:00 am

Boonboon2 wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 7:46 am
When Packerlino play we are 10 wins 6 losses
When 1 doesent play we are 1 win, 4 losses

The 1 win was too a horrible Manly side and the 4 losses were Eels, Knights, Titans which we needed to win as well as getting spanked by the Warriors. These are the games that cost us our season

Anyone who doesen't understand the value Packer brings is just looking at a couple of stats and not watching footy or even looking at a full range of stats
Obviously many only see what they want regarding Packer , it is what happens off the ball that makes Packer a great addition to this team .There is a difference in watching a game live to a TV game ,I watch everything happening on the field including the bench and behind play and the influence that Packer has to the team in the context of the game overall is apparent and positive .

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks for the opinions I will watch for these little things today

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:05 am

magpiecol wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:24 pm
hobbo wrote:

Speed 5/5
Explosiveness 4/5
Ability 3/5
Wrongness of head 5/5

Total 19/25

Unfortunately lack of speed , explosiveness and wrongness of head make him a plodder .
We’ve got too many plodders in the forwards, and unfortunately stuck with them.
At last they’ve woken up about MCQueen and Grant,why on earth did we buy these two

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:53 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:05 am
magpiecol wrote:
hobbo wrote:

Speed 5/5
Explosiveness 4/5
Ability 3/5
Wrongness of head 5/5

Total 19/25

At last they’ve woken up about MCQueen and Grant,why on earth did we buy these two
Grant came cheap because souffs where topping up his contract,I was always against signing Mcqueen on good money for 3 years at his age

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 7:43 pm

You can all say or dig up win loss stats all you like, mark my words.

We will not make the 8 with Packerlino as our props!!!!!

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 9:54 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:53 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:05 am
magpiecol wrote:
hobbo wrote:

Speed 5/5
Explosiveness 4/5
Ability 3/5
Wrongness of head 5/5

Total 19/25

Grant came cheap because souffs where topping up his contract,I was always against signing Mcqueen on good money for 3 years at his age
Same here (about Mcqeen)
The Gold Coast is a really weird place, a huge place, but so many people are connected in some ways, especially in football clubs.
Triton players layers must be the biggest bigmouths in sport, as the story was every where, about his injuries . the Management were holding their breaths , and hoping that someone would be
Silly enough to take him off their hands,
I couldn’t believe that we did.