Looking forward 2019

Wests Tigers Discussion
Masterton

Re: Looking forward 2019

Post by Masterton » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 11:43 am

The problem with recruiting hard is the shadow hanging over us of whether Cleary will be staying or going. The constant speculation has virtually nullified our chances of signing anyone decent.

Add to that The Pom's recent post about us primarily looking for a back up half (Drinkwater :brick: ) and a centre, but not concentrating on buying any forwards!! None of this fills me with much hope for 2019.
TigersBusDriver wrote: ↑Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:13 pm
We're not looking at forwards at all? Seriously? Second row and centre is where we should really be looking
The POM wrote
100% we are looking to beef up the forwards but priority is back up Halfback & centre.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Droppy

Post by Droppy » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:30 pm

Milky wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:21 pm
Offer everything to Taupau, Fifita, Dylan Walker and Corey Oates.

1. Moses Mbye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Dylan Walker
4. Esan Marsters
5. Corey Oates

6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks

8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Josh Aloiai
13. Marty Taupau

14. Ben Matulino
15. Alex Twal
16. Jacob Liddle
17. Matt Einsenhuth
Milky you were doing well until you got to Einsenhuth. He's an "A" grade plodder and needs to be moved on.

Milky

Post by Milky » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:37 pm

Masterton wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 11:43 am

The problem with recruiting hard is the shadow hanging over us of whether Cleary will be staying or going. The constant speculation has virtually nullified our chances of signing anyone decent.

Add to that The Pom's recent post about us primarily looking for a back up half (Drinkwater :brick: ) and a centre, but not concentrating on buying any forwards!! None of this fills me with much hope for 2019.
TigersBusDriver wrote: ↑Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:13 pm
We're not looking at forwards at all? Seriously? Second row and centre is where we should really be looking
The POM wrote
100% we are looking to beef up the forwards but priority is back up Halfback & centre.
We're looking for a backup centre?

What are the ones we have now?

Our entire squad barring Brooks and Mbye are backups...

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:55 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:53 am
So here we are again with the all too familiar "there's always next year" line that nobody wants to say.

I thought I'd try to take a peek at what next years side might look like, to be honest it's not filling me with confidence at the moment.
I had way more hope and confidence this pre season with all the new recruits but now after seeing them go around and knowing our capabilities, the optimism levels aren't high for 2019.
Anyway, here's my line up.

2019 Team

1. Mbye
2. Nofo
3. Masters
4. Fonua ???? (Surely not)
5. Thompson
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Matulino
11. Lawrence
12. Eiso/Garlic sauce/Garner/Chee
13. Taylor
14. Twal/Eiso/Garlic/Garner/Chee
15. ". "
16. ". "
17. ". "

Why does this side make the 8 next year?

Convince me it's any better than the 2018 team, even if we sign a few new players is it really going to change much?
To me its the worst roster in the NRL by a fair way.

In my opinion we overachieved this year. While we had some close losses, every win we had was practically a scrambling win where we seemed to be holding on at the end. I think we will go far worse next year than this year.

The same issues will be there. We have no goalkicker, we have no speed, our centres can't run lines, our forwards can't go forward, our backrow don't get involved, our backs have to do more hits up than our forwards, our forwards can't bend the line, we have no kicking game in general play.....

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:58 pm

clokan wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:47 am
I believe we aren't far from being a top eight side, looks like we will only miss out by a game or two. If we had sorted out our hooker a little earlier, instead of persisting with Taylor, we likely would have made the eight this year. Add what Mbye has brought and I think we are a fringe eight side, and given were we are likely to end up thats hard to argue.

If we recruit one or two fast backs and an aggressive forward, and hopefully Reynolds is injury free, I see us making the eight.
Yes but there's making the 8 and there's making the 8 and having a team that can go all the way.
Making the 8 and bowing out in week 1 isn't what we want either.

We definitely need a gun
Centre
Backrower
Prop

But will it be enough to turn us into not only a team that scrapes into the 8 but a side that can go deep into the finals if not win it?

As good as Brooks was this season, and as you all know I've been a critic of his but I've had no reason to be this season, I thought he was probably our most consistent player.
I'm still not sure if he can take us to the next level, I'm certain that Packerlino can't, so that's why I'm not convinced if gaining a center a backrower and a prop will do much, we'll have to get some sort of prop to change us.

barra

Post by barra » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:02 pm

Droppy wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:30 pm
Milky wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:21 pm
Offer everything to Taupau, Fifita, Dylan Walker and Corey Oates.

1. Moses Mbye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Dylan Walker
4. Esan Marsters
5. Corey Oates

6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks

8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Josh Aloiai
13. Marty Taupau

14. Ben Matulino
15. Alex Twal
16. Jacob Liddle
17. Matt Einsenhuth
Milky you were doing well until you got to Einsenhuth. He's an "A" grade plodder and needs to be moved on.
Sub Mikaele for him... that kid ain't no plodder!!

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:13 pm

Demps wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:37 am
Need to recruit hard..
Team isn't well rounded.
Tui was well rounded.

Tcat

Post by Tcat » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:59 pm

Why do we recruit so badly? I know we talk about bad facilities (hopefully getting an upgrade), so many different home grounds etc. But why do we struggle in this department so much and for so long? In other industries, who ever looks after this department surely wouldn't last in their position. Yes, we have recruited recently, but you'd hardly say it's been top shelf. We honestly need some hard line and smart sales people to market our club in order attract better players. If parramatta can still seem to attract players after being a shamble of a club in recent times, then why cant we. Are we perceived so badly by decent NRL players?

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 3:25 pm

I actually think we are closer to a good side than people think.
Mbye, Reynolds, Brooks, Taylor, Lawrence, Matalino, Packer are established 1st graders
Marsters, Garner, Liddle, Twal showing promise and should improve again next year.
Thompson, Fonua and Nofoaluma can play well in first grade.
Add to that 4 established first graders (as Pom intimated) then we are looking ok.
I’m hoping the 4 are a prop, back rower, centre and winger.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 4:00 pm

If we Jagged a couple of players like Matherson from the Chooks, Hetherington from Penrith and Kelly from Manly you would be confident we could build on this year, but if it’s the usual type signing we are in big trouble. We need speed power and youth

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 4:10 pm

Steve, you say Fonua can play well in first grade.

Fonua after yesterdays performance should be playing 'Z' grade.

If we have signed him for next year - flog him off (can't imagine who would take him), pay his fare back to England or play him in RM Cup.

People were saying Kev had hands like feet - Kev is the Bobby Simpson of Rugby League compared to this guy.

Need more than one good game per season.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 4:32 pm

1. with this defeatist attitude (some may call it 'I've-seen-it-all-I-am-WT-realist), better get off WT bus, as you cannot stand the heat :sign:
2. even after Cleary stated he will stay, there are still a few 'fans' who want to troll just for fun of it, would not surprise me that most of them are our ex-legend, ex-captain born again WT fans :bash
3. as everyone here we expect at least few signings, IMHO these must be forwards - 3 props and 2 2nd rowers and lock
e.g. Paasi, Gillard, Boyd, James, Fanau-Blake, Hess, Papalii, Kikau, Lowe, Taupau/Taumalolo
4. most of 'WT realists' were bad prophets, as they said we will win wooden spoon convincingly and will be beaten by 50+ by the Chicks or ACTers, however, we beat Mescaleros twice, ACTers and Chicks 1st time after many years, and with a bit of luck (or less refs bias) we could have been easily within top 8. :sign:
5. Cleary made miracles with our defence, and improved a few players 100% e.g. Lawrence, Brooks, Chee-Kam, Twal, Thompson, Marsters, and we still have some good prospect with Aloiai (suffered injuries whole season), Garner, Mikaele, Clark etc.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 4:55 pm

Mac's positivity post:

1. Luke Brooks had a real good development year. If he continues his progression he will push for further honours. He has been one of the best halfbacks in the competition and his form was consistent all year.

2. If Josh Reynolds can somehow have a good off season and stay on the park he will be an upgrade on Benji.

3. Mbye with a full off season with us should improve. We improved a lot when he came over. This was his first year as a fullback ever and he is a prodigious talent. He might come out next year and blow the competition apart.

4. Jacob Liddle with another off season in the gym and half a year of growing will improve a lot.

5. Esan Marsters is improving at a rapid pace. He is genuinely one of the best centres in the NRL.

6. MCK had his best career year.

7. Corey Thompson will take back his wing spot, rightfully so.

8. Matulino has looked heaps better lately. I am sure he will be better for us in his second year.

9. Chris Lawrence had his best year in the backrow. He is on the shortlist for most underrated players in the NRL at the moment.

10. Packer can take the off season to fully rehab his injuries. His best season for the Dragons was his second year as well.

11. Thomas Mikaele and Dylan Smith look really promising and I could see both of them pushing for Round 1 spots.

12. Luke Garner will have a full off season knowing he is in the first grade side and will definitely improve.

13. We don''t know who we're signing but we will be signing several players of that there is no doubt.

14. This was a team that had an exhaustive rebuild and nearly made the finals after being picked for the wooden spoon and despite having to sign a fullback and a hooker mid season, having our highest paid player and marquee signing injured all year, our star young centre get fired before round 1, another high paid signing in Chris McQueen fail to do anything of note and another touted signing in Taane Milne get himself fired for drugs. This after losing our three best players.

15. All of the combinations will improve, our coach will have a better understanding of the team's strengths and weaknesses and will be able to produce better game plans and bring in players to suit what he wants to do.

16. What we mostly all consider our strongest 13 for next year are almost all still here so any signings we make will be turning over depth players that are outside the squad or on the fringes. There is no reason that a side in the first year of a massive rebuild that keeps the majority of it's top 17 in tact shouldn't have a massive improvement in year two of the rebuild.

1. Moses MBye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marsters
4. Dylan Smith
5. Corey Thompson
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Luke Garner
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Thomas Mikaele
15. Alex Twal
16. Michael Chee Kam
17. Jacob Liddle

So it's not all doom and gloom. A lot relies on Josh Reynolds staying healthy (and living up to his price tag) and improvement in players that actually should be in for significant off season improvements (Mbye, Marsters, Brooks, Liddle, Mikaele, Smith). Most of our turnover will be in players outside the squad.

Of course you can choose to assume that we will for some reason go backwards. If we sign no good depth and suffer key injuries again. If Luke Brooks regresses. If the likes of Liddle, Mikaele, Smith and Marsters don't continue their upwards trajectory. It's possible we go backwards. History, and logic suggests however that we should improve. Perhaps drastically.

Tcat

Post by Tcat » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:13 pm

I know we had a disappointing loss yesterday and our season looks all but over, however, I wonder what everyone's thoughts would be for next year if we didn't have Penrith drag us through the mud with all the coaching/media debacle. I know I'd still be optimistic for next year, but with recent events out of our control, I cant help but feel pessimistic.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:15 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 4:10 pm
Steve, you say Fonua can play well in first grade.

Fonua after yesterdays performance should be playing 'Z' grade.

If we have signed him for next year - flog him off (can't imagine who would take him), pay his fare back to England or play him in RM Cup.

People were saying Kev had hands like feet - Kev is the Bobby Simpson of Rugby League compared to this guy.

Need more than one good game per season.
I think it’s unfair to judge Fonua on last nights game - first game back etc. I think overall he has been very positive for us especially in run metres. Yes he can make mistakes but he can be very destructive as well - and god knows we need more players who can break a tackle
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:21 pm

Since this may be fantasy league:

1. Moses Mbye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Curtis Rona
4. Esan Marsters
5. Corey Oates

6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks

8. Russell Packer
9. James Segeyaro
10. James Tamu
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Trent Merrin
13. Marty Taupau

14. Ben Matulino
15. Alex Twal
16. Jacob Liddle
17. Josh Aloiai

WswWt

Post by WswWt » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:26 pm

I would off George Jennings a contract.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:35 pm

WswWt wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:26 pm
I would off George Jennings a contract.
I don’t think Cleary would. I think he got rid of him when he was at Penrith?