Looking forward 2019

Wests Tigers Discussion
Balmainian
Member
Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:07 pm

Re: Looking forward 2019

Post by Balmainian » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:42 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 11:43 am
Demps wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:37 am
Need to recruit hard..
Team isn't well rounded.
The problem with recruiting hard is the shadow hanging over us of whether Cleary will be staying or going. The constant speculation has virtually nullified our chances of signing anyone decent.

Add to that The Pom's recent post about us primarily looking for a back up half (Drinkwater :brick: ) and a centre, but not concentrating on buying any forwards!! None of this fills me with much hope for 2019.

The only upside for me will (hopefully) be a fit Reynolds partnering Brooks in the halves for the full season. I dare say that if Reynolds had been playing there fit and firing for all of this year, we would've made the 8.
Reynolds needs to be better than Marshall for that to happen, and in my opinion he's not at that level.


User avatar
MacDougall
Member
Member
Posts: 7967
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 4:03 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Post by MacDougall » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:44 pm

In my opinion there are certain players that need to leave a club once or twice to get more different coaching looks in order to reach their potential. I like taking on a player who is like early to mid twenties, has looked good without being great, around 50-100 games. I also think that players like that that we have that didn't set the world on fire from day 1 are unlikely to reach their potential with us. This also doesn't seem to apply so much to halves and fullbacks.

The likes of Aloiai, Sue, Nofoaluma (and Liddle is also projecting this way) fit into the category of those I feel would be better off elsewhere to get different coaching looks.

The likes of Lawrence, Brooks, Marsters fit into the category of those that don't need that to succeed. They were first grade ready when they came into first grade.

The likes of Fonua, Chee Kam and Thompson sort of fit that mold but not perfectly. They have improved by virtue of this being their 3rd or 4th first grade coaching look. They don't fit the profile ideally.

We actually have very few of those types of players.

I would like us to sign some 23-26 year old players who have played 50-100 first grade games in the outside backs/forwards that aren't star players looking to cash out (the Jack Bird type signings) Corey Oates would fit into the latter category as would have Valetine Holmes (and sadly Josh Reynolds).

Manly have a ton of these guys. Shaun Lane, Api Kor, Curtis Sironen, Jack Gosiewski and Brian Kelly all fit the profile ideally.

Warriors have one, Ken Maumalo.

Cowboys Javid Bowen.

Parramatta's George Jennings and Peni Terepo (an ideal candidate as he has also looked to have had his best year yet).

Souths Hymel Hunt and Robert Jennings.

If we could sign Hymel Hunt, Ken Maumalo, Peni Terepo and Shaun Lane for instance, I think they would be really good investment buys.

User avatar
joelw2002
Member
Member
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun 08 Apr, 2018 1:27 am
Location: Campbelltown

Post by joelw2002 » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 7:33 pm

If we resign Farah for another year which I think we will he has another year left in him, and with a few quality signings I think we can make the 8. Even if we didn't change the side at all I still think we can make the 8 next year, we were really good at the start of the season then we had a mid season choke and now we're finally starting to find some form.
President of the Mahe Fonua Fan Club

Mahe Fonua Fan Club Members:

upthetigers. happy tiger. NT Tiger. WestsBenTigers. Masterton. westy81. Tiger Steve. Donald Trump. The Patriot. TigerTiger. TopTiger. Earl. JB58. Magpie Magic. Wildcat777. wt01.

User avatar
Tacky
Member
Member
Posts: 2714
Joined: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm

Post by Tacky » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 7:54 pm

I actually think we'll be better next year
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8264
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 7:58 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 4:00 pm
If we Jagged a couple of players like Matherson from the Chooks, Hetherington from Penrith and Kelly from Manly you would be confident we could build on this year, but if it’s the usual type signing we are in big trouble. We need speed power and youth
That's some good thinking.
Three solid players we really need.

I reckon Oliver Clarke will come good to.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.


User avatar
mtd
Member
Member
Posts: 2020
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 9:23 am

Post by mtd » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm

Tcat wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:59 pm
Why do we recruit so badly? I know we talk about bad facilities (hopefully getting an upgrade), so many different home grounds etc. But why do we struggle in this department so much and for so long? In other industries, who ever looks after this department surely wouldn't last in their position. Yes, we have recruited recently, but you'd hardly say it's been top shelf. We honestly need some hard line and smart sales people to market our club in order attract better players. If parramatta can still seem to attract players after being a shamble of a club in recent times, then why cant we. Are we perceived so badly by decent NRL players?
What planet so you people live on

Packer was in awesome form for the dragons before he signed with us

Mbye is a very strong player.

Reynolds played for NSW

Matuliono for NZ

Heaps bad recruitmwnt!!

Tcat
Member
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by Tcat » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 12:20 am

mtd wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
Tcat wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:59 pm
Why do we recruit so badly? I know we talk about bad facilities (hopefully getting an upgrade), so many different home grounds etc. But why do we struggle in this department so much and for so long? In other industries, who ever looks after this department surely wouldn't last in their position. Yes, we have recruited recently, but you'd hardly say it's been top shelf. We honestly need some hard line and smart sales people to market our club in order attract better players. If parramatta can still seem to attract players after being a shamble of a club in recent times, then why cant we. Are we perceived so badly by decent NRL players?
What planet so you people live on

Packer was in awesome form for the dragons before he signed with us

Mbye is a very strong player.

Reynolds played for NSW

Matuliono for NZ

Heaps bad recruitmwnt!!
Sorry if I'm not on the same planet as you, but in relation to your reply, Other than Reynolds, none their previous clubs were exactly heart broken when they were signed by us (if Packer was so awesome, why didn't the dragons try to keep him)and I doubt any top 4 teams would even consider pursuing the others signed by us.
Last edited by Tcat on Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:01 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
marzie
Member
Member
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 8:43 pm

Post by marzie » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 1:15 am

1. Moses Mbye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marsters
4. Brian Kelly/Curtis Rona
5. Corey Oates
6. Luke Brooks
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Russell Packer
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Martin Taupau
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Luke Garner
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Robbie Farah
15. Alex Twal
16. Ben Matulino
17. Tom Mikaele

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5952
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 8:47 am

2019 is lily to be like this year.

A year of hope with some good performances but just enough dropped games to see us at the tail end of the 8.

Imagine if we didn't lose against Broncs, Newc, Parra, Dogs.

Tha's 8 extra points. We need to win more consistantly. No more rocks or Diamonds

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:35 am

MacDougall wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:44 pm
In my opinion there are certain players that need to leave a club once or twice to get more different coaching looks in order to reach their potential. I like taking on a player who is like early to mid twenties, has looked good without being great, around 50-100 games. I also think that players like that that we have that didn't set the world on fire from day 1 are unlikely to reach their potential with us. This also doesn't seem to apply so much to halves and fullbacks.

The likes of Aloiai, Sue, Nofoaluma (and Liddle is also projecting this way) fit into the category of those I feel would be better off elsewhere to get different coaching looks.

The likes of Lawrence, Brooks, Marsters fit into the category of those that don't need that to succeed. They were first grade ready when they came into first grade.

The likes of Fonua, Chee Kam and Thompson sort of fit that mold but not perfectly. They have improved by virtue of this being their 3rd or 4th first grade coaching look. They don't fit the profile ideally.

We actually have very few of those types of players.

I would like us to sign some 23-26 year old players who have played 50-100 first grade games in the outside backs/forwards that aren't star players looking to cash out (the Jack Bird type signings) Corey Oates would fit into the latter category as would have Valetine Holmes (and sadly Josh Reynolds).

Manly have a ton of these guys. Shaun Lane, Api Kor, Curtis Sironen, Jack Gosiewski and Brian Kelly all fit the profile ideally.

Warriors have one, Ken Maumalo.

Cowboys Javid Bowen.

Parramatta's George Jennings and Peni Terepo (an ideal candidate as he has also looked to have had his best year yet).

Souths Hymel Hunt and Robert Jennings.

If we could sign Hymel Hunt, Ken Maumalo, Peni Terepo and Shaun Lane for instance, I think they would be really good investment buys.
Tigers players do not need leave the club to get new coaching looks. They stay 5 years here, they will likely see 2-3 coaches.

Nofa has had 3 coaches since 2013.

User avatar
mtd
Member
Member
Posts: 2020
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 9:23 am

Post by mtd » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 6:36 pm

Tcat wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 12:20 am
mtd wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
Tcat wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:59 pm
Why do we recruit so badly? I know we talk about bad facilities (hopefully getting an upgrade), so many different home grounds etc. But why do we struggle in this department so much and for so long? In other industries, who ever looks after this department surely wouldn't last in their position. Yes, we have recruited recently, but you'd hardly say it's been top shelf. We honestly need some hard line and smart sales people to market our club in order attract better players. If parramatta can still seem to attract players after being a shamble of a club in recent times, then why cant we. Are we perceived so badly by decent NRL players?
What planet so you people live on

Packer was in awesome form for the dragons before he signed with us

Mbye is a very strong player.

Reynolds played for NSW

Matuliono for NZ

Heaps bad recruitmwnt!!
Sorry if I'm not on the same planet as you, but in relation to your reply, Other than Reynolds, none their previous clubs were exactly heart broken when they were signed by us (if Packer was so awesome, why didn't the dragons try to keep him)and I doubt any top 4 teams would even consider pursuing the others signed by us.
The dragons wanted to keep packer
Packer wanted to play under cleary

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2681
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm looking forward to having a single home ground with one game at Leichhardt and one at CSS. I'm looking forward to only being in the headlines because of our scintillating performances. I'm looking forward to a coach who wants to be here not just because he has a contract that ties him here. I'm looking forward to a team that plays 80 minutes every week win, lose or draw. I'm looking forward to a team that doesn't choke when a big game is on the line. Unfortunately none of this is going to happen in 2019.

Clawdan
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 05 Mar, 2014 6:20 pm
Location: Penrith

Post by Clawdan » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:17 pm

I think the team will be better next year but so will a few teams below us unfortunately.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2031
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:22 pm

I hoping that we can sign a few quality signings in the off season.

I’m looking forward to Reynolds having an injury free year.

I’m looking forward to watching Liddle develop with a full off season.

I’m looking forward to the hope a new season brings

I’m looking forward to riding the ups and downs with the team

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29549
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:00 pm

This is the "come full circle" thread...we been here before so many times...hopes pinned on as yet unnamed players that'll lead us out. Of. The doldrums. ....I do take. Some heart from super coaches post. Tho....just a bit

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2286
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Post by TYGA » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:17 pm

This is the first year with most of this squad.
They should be better by default next year.
If Reynolds and Liddell are fit all year we are a better team. The key is 3-4 strong signings to get us over the edge. Hopefully Cleary gets it done as a parting gift.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:31 pm

TYGA wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:17 pm
This is the first year with most of this squad.
They should be better by default next year.
If Reynolds and Liddell are fit all year we are a better team. The key is 3-4 strong signings to get us over the edge. Hopefully Cleary gets it done as a parting gift.
There was enormous anticipation from everyone at the beginning of this year. Everyone bought into Ivan’s vision and we all got excited. That transpired into an unbelievable start to the season.
I don’t expect the same levels of excitement next year. Therefore, whilst we may get better, I’m not sure 5 wins against top 4 sides will be easy.
If Ivan is being honest and stays - maybe.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2286
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Post by TYGA » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:45 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:31 pm
TYGA wrote:
Mon 20 Aug, 2018 9:17 pm
This is the first year with most of this squad.
They should be better by default next year.
If Reynolds and Liddell are fit all year we are a better team. The key is 3-4 strong signings to get us over the edge. Hopefully Cleary gets it done as a parting gift.
There was enormous anticipation from everyone at the beginning of this year. Everyone bought into Ivan’s vision and we all got excited. That transpired into an unbelievable start to the season.
I don’t expect the same levels of excitement next year. Therefore, whilst we may get better, I’m not sure 5 wins against top 4 sides will be easy.
If Ivan is being honest and stays - maybe.
Agree. I rate Ivan as a coach he improves players and teams. If we can improve the roster assuming he leaves better players make up for inferior coaching. Our problem is the inability to land big name players.
WT know they can’t attract a coach of Clearys quality. Macquire is at that level but he won’t sign for the Tigers.

Post Reply