We overachieved in 2018.

Wests Tigers Discussion
kingbrooks

We overachieved in 2018.

Post by kingbrooks » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:04 pm

Everyone is a bit down I know, but overall its been a good year given what we have. Can anyone name a worse squad in the NRL?

We haveL

- no pace
- no goalkicker
- no hitman in defence
- a backrow who can't run the ball, (Would Eisenhuth, Garner, Taylor, Chee Kam make any other nrl side?)
- no forwards who go over the advantage line
- no kicker in general play
- no centres who can run lines etc.

Name me a roster you wouldn't swap for ours. Titans, Parra, Manly etc all still have most of the above issues solved to an extent and have strike players.

So all things considered, to get us competitive and win at roughly 50% is a good job. I guess the big fear is can this side overachieve again next year or are we going to be right down the bottom.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:07 pm

I think Taylor has been better the last couple of weeks. Been hitting holes and breaking tackles in his last couple of games. Garner hits the line hard.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:19 pm

I agree with a lot of this.

I said at the start of the year I thought we had a bottom 2 roster. I picked us to run 15th looking at the squads objectively.

Nearly every single pundit in Australia has us in the bottom 4 if not bottom 2. Our win Line with most bookies was 7.5 the lowest in the league. We entered the season as the bookies favourites for the wooden spoon.

We lost 3 of our best players Tedesco, Woods and Moses whether you like them or not.

SO yes we have overachieved. I think if we finish on 12 wins its a very decent effort. its frustrating after that great start but not surprising with the roster and all the points you made. Frustrating that we lose games we were favourites to win.

Teams like Manly have 3 Origin players and forwards like Tapau.

My problem is next year i see this squad going worse. We need speed and power and we lack that in the forward sand backs.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:31 pm

Yes we have overachieved for this year, next year who knows?. hope fully with a couple of good recruits we could go a lot better.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:55 pm

Many of us just wanted our team to be competitive. We certainly were that throughout the season and have laid a framework from which we can improve next year. I can't wait for our new buys to be announced. Kev and co aren't being let go without replacements having being secured.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:01 pm

No way the likes of Sue, Grant, McQueen, Naiqama are let go unless better options have been secured right?

Then again, based on our history of retainment and recruitment- who knows?
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:08 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:19 pm

I said at the start of the year I thought we had a bottom 2 roster. I picked us to run 15th looking at the squads objectively.

Nearly every single pundit in Australia has us in the bottom 4 if not bottom 2. Our win Line with most bookies was 7.5 the lowest in the league. We entered the season as the bookies favourites for the wooden spoon.

We lost 3 of our best players Tedesco, Woods and Moses whether you like them or not.

SO yes we have overachieved. I think if we finish on 12 wins its a very decent effort. its frustrating after that great start but not surprising with the roster and all the points you made. Frustrating that we lose games we were favourites to win.

My problem is next year i see this squad going worse. We need speed and power and we lack that in the forward sand backs.
Consistency and ability to maintain form remains our issues. Where things went pear shaped were in rounds 7 and 8, both games we should have won, but instead snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We need to be very smart with our recruitment and wait for the right players. Things happen and you never know who will be on the market, we just need to be patient. Surprised if we do not have some lined up already.
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:08 pm

Definitely overachieved but still disappointed in how it's finished. Not sure what next year holds.
No more plodders!
:sign:

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:36 pm

kingbrooks wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:04 pm
Everyone is a bit down I know, but overall its been a good year given what we have. Can anyone name a worse squad in the NRL?

We haveL

- no pace
- no goalkicker
- no hitman in defence
- a backrow who can't run the ball, (Would Eisenhuth, Garner, Taylor, Chee Kam make any other nrl side?)
- no forwards who go over the advantage line
- no kicker in general play
- no centres who can run lines etc.

Name me a roster you wouldn't swap for ours. Titans, Parra, Manly etc all still have most of the above issues solved to an extent and have strike players.

So all things considered, to get us competitive and win at roughly 50% is a good job. I guess the big fear is can this side overachieve again next year or are we going to be right down the bottom.
Much better win ratio than I thought we would achieve.
Could sneak a better result on the back of some good signings for next year and some luck with injuries and the draw.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:41 pm

WT2K wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:08 pm
Definitely overachieved but still disappointed in how it's finished. Not sure what next year holds.
That's pretty much my view as well. I held no high hopes at the start of the season - totally new team, new coach, lots of things to mould and change. I thought we'd finish somewhere between 9-12th, as long as we weren't fighting for the spoon again!

However the way it has ended is what's most disappointing. We may not have expected them to make the 8 but geez it's still hard to stomach the meek surrender in matches when they actually did have a red hot crack at making it.

There's no doubt the surprise of their form during the first 6 weeks of the comp would have lulled many of us into believing they were capable of playing finals football this season, which makes the way it ended even harder to bear. If I just kept my pre-season idea of a 9-12th place finish, throughout the whole season, then I would probably feel a whole lot better right now.

mtd

Post by mtd » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:41 pm

What a load of crap.

Same old complaining at the end of season

We did a clean out and our squad is much better than it has been in years..

Moses? No real loss.
Woods? You mean the guy who dordles to the defensive line he's a stats man.

Yeah tedesco was a loss, but mybe and Thompson make up for him.

Fair enough it's a forum and people wanna whinge. But gimme a break

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 10:55 pm

overachieved? no I don't think so, if we didn't have constant disruptions to our spine during the middle period of the season, I'd expect we would have won a couple more of those close games.

Having Taylor at hooker, Lolo not working out at fullback and the Grub being injured forcing Benji to play more killed us for the most part.

3rd best defence, unheard of in any Tigers side. I'd imagine that's pretty hard to overachieve in itself.

Set play

Post by Set play » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

Over achieved in defensive and under achieved in attack. That preety much sums up our season i reckon but all in all im not complaining beats the bottom 3.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:09 pm

sheer64 wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:08 pm
Eddie wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 1:19 pm

Consistency and ability to maintain form remains our issues. Where things went pear shaped were in rounds 7 and 8, both games we should have won, but instead snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We need to be very smart with our recruitment and wait for the right players. Things happen and you never know who will be on the market, we just need to be patient. Surprised if we do not have some lined up already.
100% correct.

We improved in a lot of areas as we thought we might under Cleary but the culture thing is hard to shake. Some old demons came back.

if we need to work on anything for 2019 its not talent its consistency.
Its an opinion!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:15 pm

Similar season to 2016, yet everyone believed that year was a big fat failure. Go figure.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:25 pm

mtd wrote:
Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:41 pm
What a load of crap.

Same old complaining at the end of season

We did a clean out and our squad is much better than it has been in years..

Moses? No real loss.
Woods? You mean the guy who dordles to the defensive line he's a stats man.

Yeah tedesco was a loss, but mybe and Thompson make up for him.

Fair enough it's a forum and people wanna whinge. But gimme a break
I agree more with this. We aren’t a total fail! And there are field positions I’d rather not swap with some of the other clubs that’s for sure. Definitely lacking class in some positions, but we’re shedding quite a bit of crap at the end of the season and you would think we’d be getting some better quality to fill at least some of those positions.

We haven’t done too badly this year, just about finishing in front of half the comp. And I’m not sure it’s possible to ‘overachieve’, as 25 rounds is surely a big enough sample size to show around about where you deserve to be.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:35 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:15 pm
Similar season to 2016, yet everyone believed that year was a big fat failure. Go figure.
For the hundredth time that season we had a good squad. Many of us thought we were a top top 8 team.
Last edited by The Patriot on Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its an opinion!

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:36 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 21 Aug, 2018 6:15 pm
We sucked then and we suck now ..
No difference!

9th - 16th is a failure no matter how it’s sugarcoated .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !