Sharks in Trouble again.

Wests Tigers Discussion
The Patriot

Re: Thee is still hope!!

Post by The Patriot » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 7:26 am

Balmainbred wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:17 am
Nothing will come of this, there one of Greengerg’s mob.
Four pages of opinions but here is the truth!
Its an opinion!

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 7:32 am

Until ALL clubs put pressure on the NRL to take a firmer stand against rorting - instead of doing what ever they can to get away with it, the strong clubs will continue to push the boundaries and absorb the risk.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 7:54 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 6:29 am
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 6:25 am
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:13 am
851 wrote:
Tue 28 Aug, 2018 7:20 pm
Be funny if they are stripped of the 2016 premiership for rorting, I am sure easts were rorting in 2013 when they won
Ironic.Could Melbourne then claim one of the three premierships back they lost for rorting the capas they were runners up that year.Karmas a b****.
Good point I'd be watching closely if I was Melbourne.
Why? It’s not like Manly and Parra are now recognised as 07 and 09 Premiers. It’s ridiculous awarding runners up the title. Why not any of the teams the premiers beat in the lead up?
I am talking about what punishment the sharks get because if they dont get stripped I'd be spewing if I was Melbourne.

Sure Melbourne cheating probably more systimatic than sharks but why should the degree of cheating matter.

Demps

Post by Demps » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 8:06 am

Strip em.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 8:12 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:27 pm
prattenparkchild wrote:
Tue 28 Aug, 2018 10:29 pm
TPA's causing grief yet again. When the hell are the NRL going to do something about this? It surely cant go on. Innocent players, guilty clubs? Like heck, they are both in it.

The simplest way to monitor it- players report their TPA to both NRL & the club, club reports TPA to NRL. Any discrepency between the 2 reports and an immediate investigation- not need for 3 year old historical breaches - at best its one year behind.

or...............

GET RID OF TPA's. They have been shown to be too tempting for mischief and unable to be easily complied with.
Leave the TPA's

Make the players 100 % responsible for their own contracts and if it goes wrong (as Ben Ikin said ) they sit out the length pof the contract if found rorting the cap and the money is still applied to the club's salary cap (and the funds not used gets put into Junior and Country RL )

This crap will stop immediately

Player blames his manager , too bad so sad , be like the rest of us who risk dealing with dodgy lawyers , accountants , tradesmen ,employers and employees every day of every week

We will get rid of the dodgier player managers as they won't be trusted

Clubs will be scared of losing cap money and players

Players won't risk signing with dodgy clubs

Worth a try in my opinion
I have it said for years , the same thing. We always get the line from the players “I leave all the stuff up to my manager, I don’t know what I get or where it comes from. Imagine telling the ATO that!

Anyway if you made players and their managers liable for any rorts it would stop over night. I just don’t understand why it is not happening now. They sign a contract and anything not on that contract that they receive is deemed a salary cap violation and they than are suspended. Of course the club still has to face fines and sanctions for their part in the rort.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 8:20 am

It’s simple if the Sharks were over in 2015 they were over now in 2016. They recruited Maloney and Townsend and lost Ayshford.

Their premiership year they are apparently clear. I call BS.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 8:34 am

Telltails wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 7:32 am
Until ALL clubs put pressure on the NRL to take a firmer stand against rorting - instead of doing what ever they can to get away with it, the strong clubs will continue to push the boundaries and absorb the risk.
There is no way all clubs will want a tough stand against cheating.The ones that cheat every year will certainly not want it,you only have to look at the strength of each clubs roster and who they "let go"to sign a better player.Toddles talks big and does nothing if it wasnt for whistleblowers the NRL would have not caught any club.
There is zero transparency in the NRL and 3-4 clubs are smart enough to cheat without getting caught.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 8:48 am

Does it matter that your only over the cap by $250,000 - damn right it does.

It is cheating and unfair to some of the other NRL clubs, won't say all, because you can't include the others that are cheating.

Sharks were not compliant in 2015, ok in 2016, no good in 2017 and 2018 to be decided. If they signed x, y, z players in 2015 for e.g. two years - aren't they still there in 2016 and would not have been able to sign them if they didn't cheat. They may not be over in 2016 but they would not have the same team and won the comp if they didn't cheat in 2015. So technically they cheated in 2016 as well and should have the Premiership taken off them.

You cannot blame the previous management and get away with it. Nothing to do with what management - it is the club. They are building quite a record of cheating and it is time to close them down. Merge with St. George or move them to Perth at best or just get rid of the cheats altogether.

BUT - as usual Greenberg will do nothing.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 9:10 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 28 Aug, 2018 8:13 pm
Article says numerous times they're cap compliant for 2018....did you not read it?
The only person who says they are cap compliant in 2018 is Barry Russell the CEO - the NRL are sitting on the fence by saying they are confident that sharks are compliant. Certainly not a definitive answer from NRL. However it doesn't matter - they will drag this out until the season is over then sometime in December when nobody cares they will announce that there was a small breach and a minimal fine will be applied. The whole administration of the NRL is a joke.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:07 am

Aaron Woods could be on the market again any taker's ?

Funny funny stuff this NRL

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:08 am

I think the amount has less to do then the intention of it. If it's a deliberate rort of the rules, then they need to hurt. If it's say a 3rd party deal that merely brushed some connection in the club then maybe not.

The thing is, the only penalties that will hurt them is

- Remove them from the final series
- Strip their premiership.

.. And unfortunately, both of those have no leniency in them for the self reporting.

They'll get something similar to manly I reckon where they play next year below the cap.

But this will put a massive stain on the finals series if the NRL do nothing this year. If they win, it will never be accepted. A payment a year ago is still a payment that enabled someone to play this year.

And the thing about this is that you'll never know about the ones you've missed. If the sharks were clever, the paper trails won't be there. If they've found $250k in traceable receipts, you can bet there's the same amount in paper bags.

That's why you have to look at the intention and not the amount found.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:36 am

So, just reported on foxsports. Looks like the payments were made via an employee. The employees wage was overpaid, which they then transferred to the players. That's pretty damning if true.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:08 am

hammertime wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:36 am
So, just reported on foxsports. Looks like the payments were made via an employee. The employees wage was overpaid, which they then transferred to the players. That's pretty damning if true.
And in comes the ATO to do a little investigation themselves
Hopefully the roosters are next

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:23 am

What must Woods be thinking, out of the frying pan into the fire

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:30 am

hammertime wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:36 am
Yep... Beginning to show intent if true

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:31 am

but u got to also remember the sharks catch call, after every big signing flano always, comes back with " but we have still space in our cap if the right player comes on the market" no wonder ur a bunch of cheats.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:32 am

Woodsy must have broken a mirror. Everywhere he goes winds up being a basketcase.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:35 am

The NRL needs to come down hard to stop this. On the club and the players (if it can be proven they had knowledge).

Take them out of the finals.