Sharks in Trouble again.

Wests Tigers Discussion
Cairnstigers

Re: Sharks in Trouble again.

Post by Cairnstigers » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:36 am

Interesting comments from Luke Lewis

“Am I on $300,000 straight from the club? Or are you getting $250,000 from the club and a $50,000 MPA, I don’t know. They go, we’ve got to invoice such and such for $50,000 so you’re getting $300,000 for the year. That’s it, that’s all we know. That’s all we get told
----------

So who has organized this TPA
Am I correct in saying that the clubs are not allowed to organize this payment
It appears in this case they have

What will come of it now

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:45 am

I cannot fathom how they were under the cap for 2016 if they were over the year before and after.

In 2015 they had the likes of Barba, Beale, Bird, Bukuya, Ennis, Feki, Fifita x 2, Gallen, Gordon, Graham, Heighington, Holmes, Luetele, Lewis, Prior, Robson & Tagatese.

Out of the above, all but Gordon and Robson played in 2016, but they added Maloney and Townsend to their roster.

In 2017, they lost Barba, Ennis, Dave Fifita and the only real player of note gained was Segeyaro.

How on Earth are they cap compliant for 2016, but not for 2015/2017? It's a joke.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:48 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:36 am
Interesting comments from Luke Lewis

“Am I on $300,000 straight from the club? Or are you getting $250,000 from the club and a $50,000 MPA, I don’t know. They go, we’ve got to invoice such and such for $50,000 so you’re getting $300,000 for the year. That’s it, that’s all we know. That’s all we get told
----------

So who has organized this TPA
Am I correct in saying that the clubs are not allowed to organize this payment
It appears in this case they have

What will come of it now
Depends if it is one of the club affiliated TPA's or not. There is a club affiliated allowance. Lewis' payment may fall under that.

But if it is a club-exempt TPA, players should absolutely know what's going on as they and their managers are meant to facilitate that.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:51 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:45 am
I cannot fathom how they were under the cap for 2016 if they were over the year before and after.

In 2015 they had the likes of Barba, Beale, Bird, Bukuya, Ennis, Feki, Fifita x 2, Gallen, Gordon, Graham, Heighington, Holmes, Luetele, Lewis, Prior, Robson & Tagatese.

Out of the above, all but Gordon and Robson played in 2016, but they added Maloney and Townsend to their roster.

In 2017, they lost Barba, Ennis, Dave Fifita and the only real player of note gained was Segeyaro.

How on Earth are they cap compliant for 2016, but not for 2015/2017? It's a joke.
Backloading?

Post by 851 » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:55 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:08 am
hammertime wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:36 am
So, just reported on foxsports. Looks like the payments were made via an employee. The employees wage was overpaid, which they then transferred to the players. That's pretty damning if true.
And in comes the ATO to do a little investigation themselves
Hopefully the roosters are next
The roosters getting caught storm style would be fantastic, I would be so happy
Go hard or go home

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:56 am

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:51 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:45 am

Backloading?
Wasn't that turfed a couple of seasons ago? Or was the rule grandfathered?
Madge's Maulers.

matchball

Post by matchball » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:03 pm

Last week Fafita and Dugan roasted Rothfield and then Buzz breaks the story.

I think Buzz knew long ago but Fafita and Dugan ripped him a new one and this is his revenge.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:08 pm

Turn that porch light back on you cheats

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:10 pm

And they did it to Melbourne so funny ha ha karma

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:11 pm

Very happy with the way this heading.

Its like systematic cheating 101.

No small fine and slap of the wrist will cover that.
Its an opinion!

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 1:22 pm

I said during the Manly cap drama and the same thing now with the Sharks......Rosters are built up over a number of years for clubs to get themselves into a realistic position to win a comp. So to come out and say everything is kosher as we are compliant this year is crap, because you built your roster when you were not compliant. You can’t look at one year in isolation.

The NRL have to hit hard, but will they...not on your life

dazza65

Post by dazza65 » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 2:00 pm

It borders on the ridiculous

A few years back Sharks were nuffies and then all of sudden they are attracting top line players and winning premierships - out of nowhere? then the drug scandal and now the salary cap - so now we know how they went from the Tiger Sharks to Premiers......cheating, clear and simple.

And the comments that they are salary cap compliant in 2018 is a furphy as the thing people forget (NRL looking at you.....) is that they cheated to get top line players to come to the club in 2015/16/17 and if they are now found guilty they will have a salary cap reduction moving forward but they will get rid of the deadwood, not the top liners, so they aren't punished in any perceivable way - they ditch a whole bunch of fringe and ISP players.....its a joke
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 2:19 pm

Funny thing is, I am at NRL HQ right now Wed arvo and stumbled upon Greenbergs presser re the Sharks.

They asked me if I was a journo, I should have said yeah and tried to stay, but I wasn't quick-thinking enough and said no. I'm outside and can't clearly hear what they are saying, so no breaking news from me, but I assume it will be reported shortly. I can definitely hear him saying "Sharks".

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 2:53 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 2:19 pm
Funny thing is, I am at NRL HQ right now Wed arvo and stumbled upon Greenbergs presser re the Sharks.

They asked me if I was a journo, I should have said yeah and tried to stay, but I wasn't quick-thinking enough and said no. I'm outside and can't clearly hear what they are saying, so no breaking news from me, but I assume it will be reported shortly. I can definitely hear him saying "Sharks".
Heard bits on radio, hes saying he doesnt have all the info, but its not on the scale of previous rorts Parra Manly Melb, insists theyre compliant for this year and finals series wont be affected

https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/nrl-b ... ff339f64ee

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 3:26 pm

He is so obviously under the thumb. When will we get rid of Greenturd and get someone who will actually stand up to the corruption in this game.

Who could stand up to them?
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 4:50 pm

"But he said the Sharks are “significantly under” the salary cap for the 2018 season, meaning they are free to compete in the upcoming finals series.
He said they are as much as half a million dollars under the cap for this year.
“On the information available to us, every club including the Sharks, are cap compliant for 2018,” Greenberg said."

Half a mil under - yea right. What crap. Love how he says on the information available to us all clubs are compliant - well dah - what club provides information that shows that they are rorting - this guy is a complete joke. Get off your butt and look for the info that hasn't been provided.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 6:33 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 6:29 am
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 6:25 am
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 5:13 am
851 wrote:
Tue 28 Aug, 2018 7:20 pm
Be funny if they are stripped of the 2016 premiership for rorting, I am sure easts were rorting in 2013 when they won
Ironic.Could Melbourne then claim one of the three premierships back they lost for rorting the capas they were runners up that year.Karmas a b****.
Good point I'd be watching closely if I was Melbourne.
Why? It’s not like Manly and Parra are now recognised as 07 and 09 Premiers. It’s ridiculous awarding runners up the title. Why not any of the teams the premiers beat in the lead up?
Yes but the hurt of losing a GF to a salary cap cheating team would give them a good taste of their own medicine.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 6:48 pm

Phil Gould tips Sharks to win NRL premiership amid salary cap scandal
By Stuart Honeysett
4 hours ago

Phil Gould says Cronulla will be able to overcome the salary cap scandal that has rocked the club and is tipping the battle-hardened Sharks to go on and still take out this year’s premiership.

The Sharks finals tilt received a major setback on Monday when it emerged that the club had self-reported a salary cap issue to the NRL for a $250,000 breach dating back to 2015. The NRL is yet to hand down its findings on the matter and whether it could result in the club being stripped of its maiden title in 2016, but the governing body says the club is compliant with the salary cap for 2018.

Speaking on his Six Tackles with Gus podcast for Wide World of Sports, Gould said the fact the club had survived the peptide scandal would stand them in good stead for the latest situation.

"I can’t imagine it having an effect on that football team," Gould said. "They’ve been through peptide scandals. I don’t know enough about it to know just how big it is, or how small it is, it might be nothing at all. "The fact that they’ve self-reported would indicate to me it’s nothing that our club was aware of."

There have also been reports that the club’s salary cap scandal could affect their plans to retain star fullback Valentine Holmes, who is off contract at the end of the season and has been linked to a move to the North Queensland Cowboys.