Farah set to play on after agreeing to terms

Wests Tigers Discussion
gallagher

Re: Farah set to play on after agreeing to terms

Post by gallagher » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 8:53 pm

matchball wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 8:26 pm
They won the 2005 premiership on my 28th birthday.
I'm 42 this October.
Unbelievable that they are still here. We are the retirement village club.
I've had three kids since then and my youngest at 6 wasnt on the planet when we last made the 8. None have any interest in the tigers for some reason.
:o

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 9:02 pm

I don't see why people are fussed. We have a lot of space left in our roster and not much backup at 6 and 9.

If they don't play well enough - they get dropped, easy.

But imagine if we were trying to get through this year without Benji and still enduring the injuries to Reynolds... Brooks and Gamble all season?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 9:08 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 9:02 pm
I don't see why people are fussed. We have a lot of space left in our roster and not much backup at 6 and 9.

If they don't play well enough - they get dropped, easy.

But imagine if we were trying to get through this year without Benji and still enduring the injuries to Reynolds... Brooks and Gamble all season?
I think a recruit like Segeyaro or Luke would improve our roster a lot better than Farah/Liddle. Benji was ok this year but this was just supposed to be the building year, next year was going to be the year we get real topliners. But its just gonna be the same old crap.
We never seem to improve as a club/team.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:15 pm

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result......

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm

5 from 8 wins with Farah this year

12 from 20 with Benji.

We make finals if they played more games.

We will be slightly stronger for having them next year. However we need to make the club more attractive so that we can attract better players. We need younger players to emerge. At the moment those things are not really happening.

Anyway, it will be an easy reason for fans to moan next season when we lose games.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:26 pm

Eddie wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm

12 from 20 with Benji.

We will be slightly stronger for having them next year. However we need to make the club more attractive so that we can attract better players. We need younger players to emerge. At the moment those things are not really happening.

Anyway, it will be an easy reason for fans to moan next season when we lose games.
So what your saying if Benji doesn't play well and we lose we can't blame him

Farah I understand , Marshall I don't

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:28 pm

Glad that Farah is playing again, I still don’t think Liddle is ready to be our #1 hooker.

I’m disappointed Marshall didn’t retire though... mentally I don’t think he has another year in him. Hopefully Reynolds can remain injury free and Benji can be the backup
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:30 pm

My point is more without them this year how many games would we have won?

Marshall and Farah have winning % of over 55% this year when in the team.

Imagine having Gamble at 6 for 20 games?

We wouldn't have won 5 of our last 8 without Farah. We were horrible at hooker in the mid season.

I think they can be valuable again next year. Even if they are not starters. Makes more depth.

Im not saying it perfect but do we want to be weaker or stronger in 2019? Can we really rely on Reynolds and Liddle with no back up ?!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:32 pm

Seems like that if we dont sign Benji or Farah we get the Munsters and Clearys yeah.

Dont think its that simple guys.

Reality is a biter pill.
Its an opinion!

bbobb

Post by bbobb » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:40 pm

Eddie wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:30 pm

We wouldn't have won 5 of our last 8 without Farah. We were horrible at hooker in the mid season.

I think they can be valuable again next year. Even if they are not starters. Makes more depth.

Im not saying it perfect but do we want to be weaker or stronger in 2019? Can we really rely on Reynolds and Liddle with no back up ?!
I am kind of expecting both Robbie and Benji to play a part time role next year. They may start some games, play off the bench or miss games totally - but not play ISP (a bit like Robbie did at Souths). Both need to be kept fresh as I think a full season in the top grade will wear them down (Benji looks busted but Robbie still has fresh legs as he only really played the last half of the season).

I think the only way they will play week in week out is if we have some injury issues.

Both will hand over the reins by season’s end and will have had exceptional careers.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:48 pm

Eddie wrote:

12 from 20 with Benji.

Despite all those years of missing the 8 with them.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:50 pm

bbobb wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:40 pm
Eddie wrote:

I am kind of expecting both Robbie and Benji to play a part time role next year. They may start some games, play off the bench or miss games totally - but not play ISP (a bit like Robbie did at Souths). Both need to be kept fresh as I think a full season in the top grade will wear them down (Benji looks busted but Robbie still has fresh legs as he only really played the last half of the season).

I think the only way they will play week in week out is if we have some injury issues.

Both will hand over the reins by season’s end and will have had exceptional careers.
They'll finish their careers as reserve graders or wooden spooners.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:09 pm

decent enough backups and both know what they're there for as will the players in front of them..........can't see much of a problem with it, less of a juggle, less of a strain trying to keep players happy etc with everyone knowing their place well before.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:16 pm

Eddie wrote:

Using numbers to back Robbie is a bit rich

He missed the 1st 6 games against top opposition

Isn't Moses Mbye just as important , or what is that saying about Chris Lawrence or Corey Thompson who may have a worse playing record ??

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:24 pm

gallagher wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:48 pm
Eddie wrote:

12 from 20 with Benji.

Do the numbers and you might be surprised.

Benji played how many games in seasons 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008 for how many wins?

Whats Benji and Farahs win percentage together?

I would be interested to know thats all.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:30 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:16 pm
Eddie wrote:

Using numbers to back Robbie is a bit rich

He missed the 1st 6 games against top opposition

Isn't Moses Mbye just as important , or what is that saying about Chris Lawrence or Corey Thompson who may have a worse playing record ??
Top opposition off the back of a World Cup year that were well below their best. It is an advantage to play the better sides before they get going. Not saying we didn't play well, but we slugged those wins out off the back of very little attack. That can only last so long as we saw as the season rolled on.

When people say look forward to another season of no Top 8 (because of Benji and Robbie) I felt compelled to bring out plain factual numbers.

We won 12 fro 20 with Benji this year.

And were 5 from 8 with Farah.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 12:24 am

Eddie wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 11:24 pm
gallagher wrote:
Wed 29 Aug, 2018 10:48 pm
Eddie wrote:

12 from 20 with Benji.

Do the numbers and you might be surprised.

Benji played how many games in seasons 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008 for how many wins?

Whats Benji and Farahs win percentage together?

I would be interested to know thats all.
Nah. Not gonna do that. If you know the stat just tell me.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 12:25 am

And if they would have backed Farah up in that titans game it may have been 6 from 8. Other hookers have a worse record than Farah's for same part of the year but no knives out for them that I know of. Farah and Marshall together have never being defeated by Canberra, what a record considering the thumpings we usually get from them. Marshall may not be consistent but he was not supposed to be playing every week - not his fault. And if we got into finals that we could have it would have been on the back of having a no. 6 on peanut salary. Due to injuries they were a necessity and it must be considered the same position next year - they can't be blamed for our predicament and we are luck to have them. Blame Russell and other for dragging Jacob into first grade too early or the Club for not having a decent strong guy before giving Farah the boot.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)