Thanks Tigers!

Wests Tigers Discussion
yeti

Re: Thanks Tigers!

Post by yeti » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 2:03 pm

It's been interesting reading this thread.
I think most agree, with some exceptions, that the team has improved on last year but there is a long way to go before we are consistently competitive in an environment where every game is important and as difficult to win as every other.
Personally, I appreciate the improvement in the team's performance and in particular, the doggedness shown in many of the games to win against more fancied and far more talented opposition.
I also appreciate that the coach quite categorically stated at the start of the year that the rebuild takes time - 2 to 3 years and that it takes that long to create the roster to be able to compete at the highest standard.
I'm prepared to take him at his word.
I'm prepared to see what happens this off season re recruitment.
And I'm prepared to see how we go next year.
Finishing 9th this year means we HAVE to make the finals next year in order to have improved.

What I am not prepared to do is bag out the club or the coach. The club has shown dramatic improvement in its 'back office' and apparently we are close to being financially independent. The Board and CEO appear to be on the same page at last and making tough decisions when they need to be made.
Before you can realistically expect major improvements on the field, you need to have 'the house in order' sign displayed.
(Cronulla and Parra may think differently, but we'll see how that pans out).
The coach may have erred re the whole Penrith saga, but without actually knowing what took place, who knows really? I'll take him at his word. But he does appear to be making headway with the team.

So, disappointed to miss out on the finals again? Of course. Ready to slash my wrists? Nah!
Back supporting the team next year? You betcha.

And my thanks to Kul, Willow, Geo and the crew for administering and maintaining a forum where everyone gets a say while insisting on a decent code of conduct.

Cheers all.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 2:57 pm

I just think we still have the wrong attitude, nothing has changed in that regard for many years- like we seem to run out of gas- so I believe that unless we do start to get some resilience, and backbone, and spirit and not give up halfway through the game, we will not do any good -come on WT's get that winning spirit back again, and make yourselves proud

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:26 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:19 am
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:39 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:02 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:01 pm

Do you even have one
Yup. I feel conned.
The part I am curious about is what you think your membership entitles you to?

Conned by what? You ponied up to watch a set number of Tigers matches and they provided seating at those matches.

Was there some promise or guarantee of minimum success?

Membership is support only, if you want guarantees, put the money in a term deposit. If you dont want to pay up, fine, but dont complain when you do.
I dont know about guarantees, but I expect the team to give it everything as so called professionals theyre supposed to be, but last night I saw some that didnt give it their all...so I feel a bit ripped off, or let down might be a better term
Acutally the irony is that last night was not a home game, so apart from the fact that we have reciprocal entry to ANZ, it wasnt specifically a members evening.

But anyone who buys tickets wants to see their team compete - members or not.

Let down - understand completely. Ripped off - don't understand at all.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:30 pm

Yeah thanks Tigers ...for pissing away yet another season !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for tricking me in to thinking you were a footy team for 6 weeks. I don't blame Wests for that, i blame myself. I should of known better.

It was a glorious 6 weeks though, food tasted better, the days were a little brighter and my step had a little spring in it. Imagine being a supporter of a real team that made finals and didn't loose by 50 regularly. I bet they live longer. Juro, do a curve of life expectancy of Wests supporters vs say Melbourne supporters. I bet we head to early graves well before our southern counterparts

Yes, thanks west!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:45 pm

tigerbalm wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:23 pm
Thanks for tricking me in to thinking you were a footy team for 6 weeks. I don't blame Wests for that, i blame myself. I should of known better.

It was a glorious 6 weeks though, food tasted better, the days were a little brighter and my step had a little spring in it. Imagine being a supporter of a real team that made finals and didn't loose by 50 regularly. I bet they live longer. Juro, do a curve of life expectancy of Wests supporters vs say Melbourne supporters. I bet we head to early graves well before our southern counterparts

Yes, thanks west!
You need a distraction my friend. Talking of early death is taking it a tad too far.

There is a secret - before every Tigers game, consume vast amounts of alcohol. Takes the edge off!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:49 pm

jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Nucky Thompson wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:00 pm
Yeah thanks. You can shove my membership up ya clacker Pascoe.
Do you even have one
Yup. I feel conned.

Conned by what? You ponied up to watch a set number of Tigers matches and they provided seating at those matches.

Membership is support only, if you want guarantees, put the money in a term deposit. If you dont want to pay up, fine, but dont complain when you do.
I don't want guarantees but I expect the club to do its best to improve itself. We are no better as a club or as a team since Sheens left.
If membership is for support then I guess they've lost mine.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:55 pm

Probably start favourites for the spoon again in 2019 but where use to that.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:57 pm

Balmainbred wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:55 pm
But that's a good thing. Because If we come 9th, a large percentage of the support base will feel we've had a good year.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm

There were some good performances, and some dis-appointing ones.
Regardless, I"ll once again be on the rollercoaster ride of being a wests tigers fan for season 2019.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:20 pm

westTAHger wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm
Regardless, I"ll once again be on the rollercoaster ride of being a wests tigers fan for season 2019.
That nails it’s for me as well die hard supporter good post

kafta

Post by kafta » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:36 pm

I have never seen a team beat itself more than the opposition.

If there is a way to lose a game we will find it.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 6:41 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:49 pm
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Nucky Thompson wrote:

Do you even have one
Yup. I feel conned.

I don't want guarantees but I expect the club to do its best to improve itself. We are no better as a club or as a team since Sheens left.
If 7 wins to 12 wins and 14th into 9th arent an improvement then I don't know what is.

The current mob can only improve what came the year before.

No, we arent better as a club since Sheens left, but those teams we had when he left were bloody good.

If you don't want to support them any more, no drama, kick a dog when he's down. I'm not saying you support them at any cost, but when they are clearly doing better in 2018 than 2017 - and you were a member I assume in 2018 despite everything that happened last year, then I'm just not clear what your expectations are towards entitlement as a member.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 6:52 pm

Balmainbred wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:20 pm
westTAHger wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:05 pm
That nails it’s for me as well die hard supporter good post
Definitely... Tah is a REAL supporter... As opposed to those true supporters who think the yre better than others when times are tough

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:00 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 6:41 pm
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Yup. I feel conned.

If 7 wins to 12 wins and 14th into 9th arent an improvement then I don't know what is.

No, we arent better as a club since Sheens left, but those teams we had when he left were bloody good.

If you don't want to support them any more, no drama, kick a dog when he's down. I'm not saying you support them at any cost, but when they are clearly doing better in 2018 than 2017 - and you were a member I assume in 2018 despite everything that happened last year, then I'm just not clear what your expectations are towards entitlement as a member.
I think members are entitled to expect the club to better spend the money given to the club. They make a profit off memberships so we should expect them to use that money wisely.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:48 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:57 pm
Balmainbred wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 4:55 pm
But that's a good thing. Because If we come 9th, a large percentage of the support base will feel we've had a good year.
100% correct. And we'll probably need to re-sign our legends for another season.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:51 pm

kafta wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 5:36 pm
I have never seen a team beat itself more than the opposition.

If there is a way to lose a game we will find it.
The North Sydney Bears say hello!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 8:23 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:00 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 6:41 pm
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

I think members are entitled to expect the club to better spend the money given to the club. They make a profit off memberships so we should expect them to use that money wisely.
That's pure nonsense.

For starters, you have no idea either how they are spending the money or whether or not they are spending it appropriately. Don't say results, because results are not guaranteed from expenditure, otherwise Broncos would win the comp every year.

But more than that, actually no you are not entitled to expect the club to "better spend" the money. You bought tickets, that's all you bought. Slightly discounted tickets in exchange for a bulk purchase. Don't be fooled into thinking you are a member with any voting or decision rights, like paying subscription fees to a club. NRL clubs use the term "members" to put an emotional slant on the sale of tickets. Members are full or partial season ticket holders, no more and no less.

It would be like saying you expect McDonald's to better spend their money because they make a profit when you buy lots of Chicken McNuggets.