Modern game is all about speed and power

Wests Tigers Discussion
Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3562
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Modern game is all about speed and power

Post by Eddie » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:12 pm

Until we find some of that in the backs and forwards we are a prime candidate to go backward next season.

This year we eeked out wins, we played hard generally and defended well. We played above ourselves I thought most weeks.

However we have the worst attack in the comp and its simply because we lack good attacking players and talent across the park.

Our wingers are slow/small, our forwards are grinders, we lack speed and power all over the pitch.

IM praising this years squad in general because I think when I looked at it it was clearly a bottom 4 roster. Titans, Manly, Cowboys Raiders, have more "talent" then us in my opinion.

We overachieved this season but the grass is not looking green for next year I dont think.

The squad looks slow and pedestrian to me.


hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10102
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:15 pm

Sherlock ^^^^
:roll:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5093
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:18 pm

But we have signed Robbie and Benji one year older one year slower....that is 2 spots taken up ,the club is on fire !

Sco77y
Member
Member
Posts: 789
Joined: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by Sco77y » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:19 pm

We really need some good signings before preseason otherwise we’re just going to get more of the same.. Could slightly improve with the players we have, but we’re lacking any class and won’t go far with that.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3562
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm

Snake wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:18 pm
But we have signed Robbie and Benji one year older one year slower....that is 2 spots taken up ,the club is on fire !
The fact they are playing on shows the cupboard is bare.


Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm

You are right. We need a couple of these players but in the end we were 4 wins from 1st place and if Robbie was available all year couls see us with at leadt another 2 meaning top 4.
Tonight wasn't a good guide with nothing to play for we were in it for 38 minutes and then had a run of possessions against us against a team setting up for finals.

User avatar
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: Hornsby

Post by mike » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:33 pm

Eddie I have news for you. The game has always been about speed and power. Since 1908 in fact.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5343
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:37 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm
You are right. We need a couple of these players but in the end we were 4 wins from 1st place and if Robbie was available all year couls see us with at leadt another 2 meaning top 4.
Tonight wasn't a good guide with nothing to play for we were in it for 38 minutes and then had a run of possessions against us against a team setting up for finals.
This 'if only robbie was here longer' crap is ridiculous. He was here for 15 years for 3 top 8 finishes.
Enough.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3562
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm

mike wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:33 pm
Eddie I have news for you. The game has always been about speed and power. Since 1908 in fact.
LOL.

Fair Point Mike.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:00 pm

I hope the coaching and recruitment staff watch tonight’s game over and over and over. Our forwards were absolutely pulverised like I’ve rarely seen before. Our so called future in Eisenhuth, Aloiai, Cheekam and Twal were monstered. We went backwards (literally) all night. SIGN SOME DECENT, BIG, STRONG, TOUGH FIRST GRADE STANDARD FORWARDS
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29179
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:59 pm

I got a fun fact...so was the ancient game but with knuckle..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29179
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 12:01 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:00 pm
I hope the coaching and recruitment staff watch tonight’s game over and over and over. Our forwards were absolutely pulverised like I’ve rarely seen before. Our so called future in Eisenhuth, Aloiai, Cheekam and Twal were monstered. We went backwards (literally) all night. SIGN SOME DECENT, BIG, STRONG, TOUGH FIRST GRADE STANDARD FORWARDS
Haven't watch it but I'm sure Luke Brooks game management was to blame...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 12:24 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 11:00 pm
I hope the coaching and recruitment staff watch tonight’s game over and over and over. Our forwards were absolutely pulverised like I’ve rarely seen before. Our so called future in Eisenhuth, Aloiai, Cheekam and Twal were monstered. We went backwards (literally) all night. SIGN SOME DECENT, BIG, STRONG, TOUGH FIRST GRADE STANDARD FORWARDS
Marty Taupau and that young fiery bloke from Penrith(the backrower)Would be ideal.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4830
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:05 am

gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:37 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm
You are right. We need a couple of these players but in the end we were 4 wins from 1st place and if Robbie was available all year couls see us with at leadt another 2 meaning top 4.
Tonight wasn't a good guide with nothing to play for we were in it for 38 minutes and then had a run of possessions against us against a team setting up for finals.
This 'if only robbie was here longer' crap is ridiculous. He was here for 15 years for 3 top 8 finishes.
Enough.
Would you swear on your child's life that we would not have gone better with Farah as hooker in the middle of season when the hookers were worse than my Inverell Sacred Heart Convent School boy team? I had never seen that shambles in 50 years.

Even Sister Benedict with her polio leg was a more successful coach.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

kingbrooks
Member
Member
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:15 am

Post by kingbrooks » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:55 am

Its about speed and power and we have zilch.

If you aren't bending the advantage line, drawing in defenders, getting quick play the balls then you are nowhere.

We are nowhere.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:55 am

Eddie wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:12 pm
Until we find some of that in the backs and forwards we are a prime candidate to go backward next season.

This year we eeked out wins, we played hard generally and defended well. We played above ourselves I thought most weeks.

However we have the worst attack in the comp and its simply because we lack good attacking players and talent across the park.

Our wingers are slow/small, our forwards are grinders, we lack speed and power all over the pitch.

IM praising this years squad in general because I think when I looked at it it was clearly a bottom 4 roster. Titans, Manly, Cowboys Raiders, have more "talent" then us in my opinion.

We overachieved this season but the grass is not looking green for next year I dont think.

The squad looks slow and pedestrian to me.
Your contradicting yourself.
Speed is one of the elements that creates power.
The other is strength.
Your point should be the game is about power!

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5343
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 9:48 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:05 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:37 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm
You are right. We need a couple of these players but in the end we were 4 wins from 1st place and if Robbie was available all year couls see us with at leadt another 2 meaning top 4.
Tonight wasn't a good guide with nothing to play for we were in it for 38 minutes and then had a run of possessions against us against a team setting up for finals.
This 'if only robbie was here longer' crap is ridiculous. He was here for 15 years for 3 top 8 finishes.
Enough.
Would you swear on your child's life that we would not have gone better with Farah as hooker in the middle of season when the hookers were worse than my Inverell Sacred Heart Convent School boy team? I had never seen that shambles in 50 years.

Even Sister Benedict with her polio leg was a more successful coach.
Well he hasn't played semis since 2011 so I don't know why people think he would get us there.
But Souths are back playing semis after they removed him from first grade.
Go figure.

Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:29 am

gallagher wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 9:48 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:05 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:37 pm
Magpie Magic wrote:
Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:20 pm
You are right. We need a couple of these players but in the end we were 4 wins from 1st place and if Robbie was available all year couls see us with at leadt another 2 meaning top 4.
Tonight wasn't a good guide with nothing to play for we were in it for 38 minutes and then had a run of possessions against us against a team setting up for finals.
This 'if only robbie was here longer' crap is ridiculous. He was here for 15 years for 3 top 8 finishes.
Enough.
Would you swear on your child's life that we would not have gone better with Farah as hooker in the middle of season when the hookers were worse than my Inverell Sacred Heart Convent School boy team? I had never seen that shambles in 50 years.

Even Sister Benedict with her polio leg was a more successful coach.
Well he hasn't played semis since 2011 so I don't know why people think he would get us there.
But Souths are back playing semis after they removed him from first grade.
Go figure.
Not in love with Robbie however I like best players available in position. He is still good 1st grade standard No 9 and we would not have better for the price. Just thinking in the middle of the year when we were leaderless from dummy half he would have been usefully.
The games against Easts rd2 Cronulla and Parramatta rd2 come to mind as wins with better organisation from dummy half. That gives us 32pts and a top 4 spot.
Now next year he will contribute but Jacob must step up. If he dosent we are paying a lot more for a No9 in 2020 period.

Post Reply