2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
WT2K

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by WT2K » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:30 pm

westTAHger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:23 pm
When does pre season training officially start for 2019 ?
1st of November i think..
No more plodders!
:sign:

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:32 pm

coivtny wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:09 pm
rex2ce wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:53 pm
coivtny wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 3:29 pm
Spartan117 wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 3:13 pm
Cleary is smart enough not to walk.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
When I thought he had some integrity I would have said Cleary wouldn't do that but we know that bird has flown. If I was WT and he does decide to play hardball I would:
a) appoint a coach for 2019 and beyond as they appear to be doing
b) call the new coach head of football operations or something else but they would be the coach
c) give Cleary no role with the team at all, effectively sidelining him.

The downside is we'd have to keep paying him but the upside is Cleary sits virtually idle for two years. I can't imagine that would please Cleary or Penrith and he'd be much more likely to seek a release to go to Penrith. If he does WT would not be liable for a payout.
I suggested pretty much this some time ago but it didn’t get any legs, the only difference is that I’d insist that Cleary did the post match presser, he would be the “ coach” after all
I like your way of thinking. I'd offer one small change - make him do the pressers after losses only. Don't give him any joy at all.
I think that would amount to workplace harassment. He'd sue us, win big and leave a happy man.
"Quality Stupidity"

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:36 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:19 pm
rex2ce wrote:
coivtny wrote:
Spartan117 wrote:

When I thought he had some integrity I would have said Cleary wouldn't do that but we know that bird has flown. If I was WT and he does decide to play hardball I would:
b) call the new coach head of football operations or something else but they would be the coach

The downside is we'd have to keep paying him but the upside is Cleary sits virtually idle for two years. I can't imagine that would please Cleary or Penrith and he'd be much more likely to seek a release to go to Penrith. If he does WT would not be liable for a payout.
I suggested pretty much this some time ago but it didn’t get any legs, the only difference is that I’d insist that Cleary did the post match presser, he would be the “ coach” after all
Been mentioned before, youd think thered be a clause or job description in his contract ''head coach -wests tigers -nrl"...we could be in breach of contract
That's possible but I very much doubt it. Clubs wouldn't want to bind their hands that tight and, in any event, there'd be workarounds.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:37 pm

WT2K wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:30 pm
westTAHger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:23 pm
When does pre season training officially start for 2019 ?
1st of November i think..
My guess Monday 5th of November, day before Cup day

matchball

Post by matchball » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:41 pm

Plato wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:08 pm
Screw the lot of them. That funny little man Geoff Toovey isn't doing anything at the moment, he coaches at 58%, comes cheap, and has passion. We've had a lot worse than him before....
Mate. The club is cash strapped as it is.
We can't afford all the investigations he will call for.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:02 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 3:11 pm
What do we put the Bennet <> Newcastle disaster down to???

He like Hassler has the propensity to wreak havoc to a salary cap.

Im cautious of Bennet though he is a man that would theoretically continue the culture change we need on the park
Not too sure on Bennet but I think Bennett should be okay

Bones

Post by Bones » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:20 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:19 pm
rex2ce wrote:
coivtny wrote:
Spartan117 wrote:

Been mentioned before, youd think thered be a clause or job description in his contract ''head coach -wests tigers -nrl"...we could be in breach of contract
I’d be interested to see what would happen. They do this in F1 all the time, people sign with other teams and they get sent on gardening leave which basically means they go away till their current contract expires. I wonder if it’s just a money thing that stops NRL clubs from doing it.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:37 pm

matchball wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:41 pm
Plato wrote:
Screw the lot of them. That funny little man Geoff Toovey isn't doing anything at the moment, he coaches at 58%, comes cheap, and has passion. We've had a lot worse than him before....

Get on the investigation.

Plato

Post by Plato » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:48 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:37 pm
matchball wrote:
Plato wrote:

True. Toovey has plenty of baggage, but we have room on the bus! I'm past caring now and just need something to happen.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:55 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:
matchball wrote:
Plato wrote:

Talking about investigations I wish the NRL had a rule to stop coach poaching ala Gus Gould.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:02 pm

Newtown wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:55 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
matchball wrote:
Plato wrote:

Talking about investigations I wish the NRL had a rule to stop coach poaching ala Gus Gould.
They will. After this plays out.

LCA

Post by LCA » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:05 pm

Surely this post has run its race? Quote responding to quote responding to quote responding to.....arrrggh. Too hard to follow now. End it please!

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:24 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:44 pm
Geo. wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:30 pm
TigerTiger wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 8:01 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 7:52 pm
I'm all for signing Bennett for 2019 and hope it happens but if we were only able to get him in 2020 isn't that the same as the riff signing Cleary for 2021 when he is off contract...

Just asking...
Na, it's very different Geo. Wayne's club is happy for him to go elsewhere, as he isn't steering a re-build, whereas Ivan sold a dream and is then jumping ship just as it is starting, dogging the club, players and fans.

Cleary is signing 'after' his contract, to eact as leverage to break his contract early, trying to force them. We are (maybe) looking at signing Benneseett for a year out, maybe asking if he can come early but not trying to force them into releasing him.
Good post...I see the difference.....but believe we want Unca for 2019 so it's sorta the same ...he would be breaking his contact with them...I guess because the Broncos have said they don't want Bennett after next year whereas we apparently want Cleary adds the perception..
Taking the emotion out of it, there’s absolutely NO difference
If one is unethical , so is the other
Of course there is a difference and it has nothing to do with any emotion. Look, here it is without emotion:

Scenario 1: Club A acts in a way entirely consistent with wanting to keep their coach long term. Coach is contracted for more than 2 years into the future. Club X comes along and signs coach of Club A on a long, substantial contract to commence in more than 2 years knowing that Club A have acted in a way entirely consistent with wanting to keep their coach.
Scenario 2: Club B tells their coach that he will not be re-signed at the end of his contract (which ends the following year). He will not be re-signed regardless of his performance over the final year of his contract. Club A makes overtures towards the coach of Club B after being made aware that he is no longer in the plans of Club B. Club A wants him to start ASAP so that they can avoid completely wasting a year.

If you think Club X and Club A have acted with the same ethics in the above scenario then fine but I think most people would perceive a moral difference there...

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:39 pm

I still cant understand the emotional trauma that is in this thread...so far Ivan as far as I know will honour his contract,speculation is rife about who will coach the WTs next year when Ivan said he is here for the next 2 years..

until the club comes out and makes an official statement in regards to Ivan...then I will wait until I hear it officially..

I don't care if Ivan has signed to coach the Panthers in 2021...as long as he professionally coaches the team in the BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM and CLUB for the remainder of his tenure then so beit,he will have my support...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:42 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 12:30 pm
The way people bang on about Wayne may not get another gig if he doesn't sign with us is quite funny. You would swear he was an up and coming 30 something yr old coach whose family will be on the breadline if he doesn't get a gig. He will be 70 yrs old in 2020. 30% of men his age are already dead. As much as he would probably like to coach on i don't think it will be the end of Wayn'es world ( 😁 )if he didn't.
Maybe it will end up like Weekend at Bennie's :lol:

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:44 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 3:11 pm
What do we put the Bennet <> Newcastle disaster down to???

He like Hassler has the propensity to wreak havoc to a salary cap.

Im cautious of Bennet though he is a man that would theoretically continue the culture change we need on the park
Being in Newcastle I do have an opinion on this. Without Tinkler the Knights would not have afforded Bennett. So it is impossible to review the period of Bennett at Newcastle without bringing Tinkler into it.

Under Bennett the First Grade side was competitive, however the junior grades improved dramatically and were quite successful. I think if Bennett had of stuck it out long term he would have had success, however Tinklers poor financial management brought Bennetts time to an end.

My understanding is it is Bennetts support staff that cost the $$$, so I am not sure how we would afford him but I think it would be a really big boost for the club from the ground up.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:51 pm

Question for everyone here - Pascoe comes out in the next day or two and confirms Cleary will be coach in 2019/20, would you buy a membership? Season tickets? How would you respond?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:54 pm

I’m apathetic towards Cleary. Wouldn’t affect me.