2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
Glennb

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by Glennb » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:15 am

There are a LOT of assumptions going on here. The main one being that both Bennett & Maguire WANT to coach here. We could end up pretty red faced.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:16 am

mario chalmers wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:13 am
Article in today's Australian says that Justin Pascoe is overseas this week.

I've no doubt that the bloke is entitled to holiday but surely not at a time when the club needs to sort out its coaching situation?

Wasn't he lying on a beach somewhere when Addo Carr was hoping we'd offer him a new contract? He signed for Melbourne while Pascoe was sipping pina coladas?
I pray that's wrong.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:19 am

mario chalmers wrote:

I've no doubt that the bloke is entitled to holiday but surely not at a time when the club needs to sort out its coaching situation?

Wasn't he lying on a beach somewhere when Addo Carr was hoping we'd offer him a new contract? He signed for Melbourne while Pascoe was sipping pina coladas?
Could be business?

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:20 am

gallagher wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:16 am
mario chalmers wrote:

I pray that's wrong.
I would like to think that this isn't the case, surely not?

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:22 am

mario chalmers wrote:

Arent (werent?) the two new coaching candidates overseas?

Properossi

Post by Properossi » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:23 am

I know he can connect from anywhere but he just accepted my LinkedIn request

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:31 am

Glennb wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:22 am
mario chalmers wrote:

They are working overseas and their agents will be handing their negotiations............. probably with other clubs.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:36 am

Glennb wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:15 am
There are a LOT of assumptions going on here. The main one being that both Bennett & Maguire WANT to coach here. We could end up pretty red faced.
Not really. This club has made us underwhelmed and disenfranchised over the years. Used to the worst outcome honestly.

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:37 am

gallagher wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:31 am
Glennb wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:22 am
mario chalmers wrote:

They are working overseas and their agents will be handing their negotiations............. probably with other clubs.
Im sure agents are taking care of all business details, but in some stage of every employment negotiation, you need to sit down face to face with the boss. I would be more shocked if these guys were overseas and Pascoe was sitting in Concord.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:41 am

FWIW sounds like Bennett doesn't want to leave Brissie. McGuire would seem to be in box seat. Not aware of any other coach options being actively considered unless someone like Toovey makes a late approach.

palms

Post by palms » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:44 am

"After negotiations with both Bennett and Maguire went deep into finalisation stages, the Tigers decided to take a different direction. The organisation is proud to announce Brett Hodgson as coach until the end of the 2022 season."

In all seriousness though, adocarr was always leaving. Pascoe if indeed he is overseas won't affect the situation.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm

From Fox sports NRL
WAYNE Bennett has reportedly gone cold on his link to Wests Tigers.

The veteran Broncos coach is now strongly considering seeing out the final season of his contract in Brisbane, according to widespread reports.

His latest indication that he has lost interest in replacing Ivan Cleary at the Tigers has huge repercussions for the chaotic NRL coaching landscape.

The Sydney Morning Herald’s Andrew Webster told Sky Sports Radio on Friday, Bennett is now “completely off” a move to the Tigers.
“I’ve been told overnight that Wayne Bennett has dropped completely off the Tigers,” he said.
“To be honest, I don’t know if he was ever that keen. I know a lot of people thought the deal was already done. Can you honestly see Wayne Bennett roaming Concord Oval after being in a nice big facility at Red Hill in Brisbane?

“I just couldn’t see him going there. I’m not going to say it’s not going to happen because the market is so volatile. I reckon the Tigers will go hard now for (Michael) Maguire. Although, he’s a man whose demands are quite significant as well.”

The reports of Bennett’s desire to stay in Brisbane sets up a showdown with the Broncos board of directors, who must now either allow Bennett to see out the final year of his deal as a lame duck that’s already been told he has no future beyond the 2019 season — or offer a payout that would allow Bennett to find a new club.

The Broncos are in the process of interviewing for Bennett’s successor to take over at the end of next season.

Assistant coach Jason Demetriou was reportedly interviewed by the club this week and is one of four contenders for the job alongside Maguire, South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold and Queensland State of Origin coach Kevin Walters.

Wayne Bennett after taking one look at Wests Tigers’ facilities (probably).Wayne Bennett after taking one look at Wests Tigers’ facilities (probably).Source: AAP
Webster said on Friday South Sydney would be prepared to let Seibold leave before the start of the 2019 season, if Brisbane moved to appoint Seibold as Bennett’s replacement.

“Then it becomes an interesting one with South Sydney,” he said.

“If Bennett does leave and they get Anthony Seibold, I’m told that the Rabbitohs would be more than happy to let him go early.

“They’re comfortable with their back-up plans. Who they are, I don’t know.

“It’s all very intriguing.”

Former Rabbitohs assistant coach David Furner, who was last month appointed head coach of Leeds, has a clause in his contract which would allow him to return to coach South Sydney next season, according to Webster.

Brisbane star Josh McGuire earlier this week threw his support behind assistant coach Demetriou when asked if players would support Bennett’s right-hand man taking over the top job at the Broncos.

McGuire has worked with Demetriou, Walters and Seibold in separate capacities and believes any of the trio would be ideal to take over from Bennett in either 2019 or 2020.

He has a special level of respect for Demetriou, who joined the Broncos at the end of 2016 after winning Queensland and NSW Cup titles in the two years previous.

“Jason’s a tremendous coach and very much capable of being a head coach anywhere,” McGuire said.

“He’s won everything there is to win in the lower grades and I think he has been unlucky not to get a head gig yet.

“I would love to be under him. I would love to have an opportunity to have him as my NRL coach.

“I’ve worked with a lot of good football minds and he’s up there with the best.”

WHERE THE COACHES’ CHAIRS COULD STOP

— Des Hasler (Manly) Appears the closest to anyone on the carousel to have his future decided. The two-time premiership-winning mentor looked over the details of an offer from Manly on Monday, but the club’s negotiation over Trent Barrett’s exit needs to be finalised first.

— Ivan Cleary (Wests Tigers, Penrith) Has remained silent on the matter since vowing to “honour” his contract in August, but Penrith are confident they’ll land their man. Contracted with the Wests Tigers until the end of 2020, it’s possible the joint venture will grant him an early release if they can land one of Wayne Bennett or Michael Maguire. No announcement is likely soon, with Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe overseas on a fact-finding trip and both possible replacements on representative duty.

— Wayne Bennett (Brisbane, Wests Tigers) Avoided questions on his NRL future when asked on Tuesday in England, but it’s already confirmed he won’t be at Brisbane beyond the end of 2019. Bennett has told Broncos players he will be there next year, but an offer that extends his career beyond that from the likes of the Wests Tigers could be hard to turn down. Regardless, he’d still need a release from Brisbane — meaning they’d need a replacement lined up.

—Anthony Seibold (South Sydney, Brisbane) Contracted to Souths for another year but is very much in Brisbane’s sights. Seen as a possible successor to Bennett at the end of 2020 if he opts to move back north after a successful rookie season at the Rabbitohs. Put contract talk on the backburner during the season, but if he doesn’t make a decision to re-sign, South Sydney would need to make a call on whether to keep him for another 12 months.

Anthony Seibold has options.Anthony Seibold has options.Source: Getty Images
— Michael Maguire (Wests Tigers, Brisbane) Maguire has made clear he won’t give up the Kiwis job so soon to move back into the NRL, but he is ready to juggle club and representative roles. After claiming he pulled out of the race for Manly, it’s now believed Maguire has been interviewed for Brisbane’s top job and is a front-runner for the Tigers. The 2014 premiership-winner at Souths also comes with the extra benefit of being available now if needed, handy if either club needs to release their coach.

— Kevin Walters (Brisbane) Believed to be in the race for the Brisbane top job, after three years of coaching Queensland’s State of Origin team. It would be a remarkable return given he quit as an assistant after four rounds there this year, but it’s long believed he’d eventually be interested in the top job.

— Jason Demetriou (Brisbane) Brisbane assistant who took over the team’s attack on the departure of Walters earlier this year. Has won NSW and Queensland Cup titles before joining the Broncos at the end of 2016. Would be an outsider for the job, but is considered one of the up-and-coming coaches in waiting if a position opens elsewhere.

— Cameron Ciraldo (Penrith) Will be Penrith coach next year if they can’t secure Ivan Cleary. Regardless, it’s anticipated he’ll remain on the coaching staff alongside assistant Peter Wallace.

— with AAP
Looks like there is a lot to be sorted before anything concrete will be confirmed.
Last edited by bathursttiger on Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 12:26 pm

Fact finding mission - is the earth really flat?
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 12:49 pm

How daft that the article leads that Bennett has reportedly gone cold on Tigers, then subsequently says "an offer that extends his career beyond that from the likes of the Wests Tigers could be hard to turn down".

Way to disagree with yourself. Also posters - where is the reference link?

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 12:57 pm

Seantice wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:36 am
Glennb wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:15 am
Not really. This club has made us underwhelmed and disenfranchised over the years. Used to the worst outcome honestly.
Fire up you mopey sad sack. Club has made you underwhelmed and disenfranchised perhaps; don't speak on my behalf.

You say "used to worst outcome" when we finished middle of pack last year - that's not the "worst outcome". Far from it. In fact, Wests Tigers have never had the worst outcome.

Cleary is a decent coach and if it so happens that your ultimate pessimism is correct and both Bennett and Maguire pass on the Tigers, then Cleary stays put. Worst outcome is decent coach. I personally don't care if he's leaving or not leaving in 2021, that's a long ways away and the coach will do his job, just as Bennett will do his for 2019.

Anyway there must be some level of interest from Maguire and Bennett to coach at Tigers, otherwise the story would have been killed off on Day 1. It all depends on the demands and desperation of the coach - e.g. how quickly does Maguire want to return to NRL and what is his most likely route to achieve this? Sure if Seibold extends with Rabbits then Madge has an improved chance to get the Broncos gig in 2020, which leaves Bennett without a club. If Seibold signs w Broncos for 2020 then Madge is without a suitor, given that he reportedly turned down Manly.

You couldn't honestly say "Bennett doesn't want to coach the Tigers" if the sticking point was, say, salary. That's not about not wanting to coach a team, that's about wanting big buckets of cash. Andrew Webster compares Red Hill and Concord, but Wayne Bennett would happily mop the floors at Concord if you paid him enough cash to do it. And that's making out as if Jubilee and Marathon Stadium are world-class venues.

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:16 pm

Could have lost interest, could be gamesmanship over terms or $$
who knows really.

This will drag a while.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:19 pm

Wayne has gone cold on the tigers then says it'll be hard to turn down the chance to extend his career with a club like the tigers... Sounds like the writer is having a bet each way..
No more plodders!
:sign:

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:23 pm

Bennett was never warm on the Tigers and whilst many disagree, I thank God for that.

All media hype as usual.

Bennett = overrated
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!