2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
GNR4LIFE

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:26 pm

I agree with Jirksyr, worst case scenario and we miss out on both Maguire and Bennett, we’ll stick with Cleary. Maybe re-evaluate the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 and see whose available.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:30 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:26 pm
I agree with Jirksyr, worst case scenario and we miss out on both Maguire and Bennett, we’ll stick with Cleary. Maybe re-evaluate the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 and see whose available.
x2

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
If we miss out on Bennett and Maguire we should chat to Toovey. I don't think Cleary's position is tenable.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:35 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
If we miss out on Bennett and Maguire we should chat to Toovey. I don't think Cleary's position is tenable.
If there’s no one available, we won’t have a choice.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:42 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 12:49 pm
How daft that the article leads that Bennett has reportedly gone cold on Tigers, then subsequently says "an offer that extends his career beyond that from the likes of the Wests Tigers could be hard to turn down".

Way to disagree with yourself. Also posters - where is the reference link?
Sorry Fox Sports NRL

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:43 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Nothing wrong with that outcome. Cleary has kept quiet whilst so many on the forum have vented their anger. I would not be surprised if he decides to stay with the Tigers for the remaining duration of his contract.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:44 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
As much as I don't want Cleary here for 2019, I think you're right in saying re-evaluate the landscape again if we can't get one of our two preferred options.
No more plodders!
:sign:

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:46 pm

I don’t think it’s worth getting rid of him to bring in a noob. The situation with Ivan is not that desperate despite some of the hysteria.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:52 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 7:28 am
hammertime wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:47 pm
Lauren wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:54 pm
hammertime wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:43 pm

Slightly conflicting there Lauren.

I think Justin and Marina are taking their time to ensure they explore all possible options and go through the due process. Our problem before was that we didn't do that.
Yeah now we're awaiting on how things unveil at the Broncos and it makes me feel they haven't really got a handle on things.
Rash might be the wrong word. But I don't want the club to set forth a plan totally based on another club's decision. This sends the wrong message to me.

Meanwhile Gus Gould only has to sit back while everything plays into his hands. This is what is most frustrating to me.
The problem is it seems Wayne is more honourable than Cleary. Unfortunately, that means we need the Broncos involved. We have a plan, it just has dependencies. Madge would be our backup option if Wayne isn't here in 2019 and that is probably timeboxed to the end of the week. To me, that's the right plan for the best outcome for us. Don't care how it's perceived in the short term.

Gus doesn't really hold all the cards here. We could always keep Cleary under contract and mess with him. But I don't think we will. Hopefully, we can get a deal for an early release in return.
Wayne is more honourable than Cleary ??
I wonder if the Roosters would back up that statement?
Wasnt it “honourable” ol Benny Who reneged on a promise to Politis to Coach there ,and then
Reneged on the deal. ??
Agree. The word "honourable" isn't my first thought when thinking of Unca.
Wonder if his ex-wife thinks fondly of Wayne as "honourable"? Not directly footy-related but relevant nonetheless when discussing honour.
Wayne does what is best for Wayne......always has.
Think of his hasty bail-out from the Knights. And was it the Aussie or NZ Test team as well from memory?

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:52 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:46 pm
I don’t think it’s worth getting rid of him to bring in a noob. The situation with Ivan is not that desperate despite some of the hysteria.
If we can't get who we want that force Ivan to stay just to stuff up the Panthers plans.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:58 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
I haven't seen or read anything to suggest that Toovey isn't available.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:58 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:

And you know this how? It is glaringly obvious that nobody on here knows what the situation is at our club. It would be a reasonable guess to assume it's not great TBH.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:01 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:58 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
And I haven’t read anywhere that’s interested in us or vice verca.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:04 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:43 am
Geo. wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:22 am
bathursttiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:14 pm
hammertime wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:43 pm

Slightly conflicting there Lauren.

I think Justin and Marina are taking their time to ensure they explore all possible options and go through the due process. Our problem before was that we didn't do that.
Me thinks Lauren might be blonde.
It’s been scientifically proven that long term use of peroxide causes permanent brain damage.
Not called for..i for one enjoy Lauren's posts..balanced and has made me think quite often...

Stick around Lauren and keep posting your thoughts...hope to hear them more often..
Hi Lauren you are probably slightly confused like I get when Geo agrees with me

You assume your wrong because Geo is usually so wide of the mark he couldn't hit a barn with a handful of gravel

But Geo accidently stumbles on a right comment occasionally by some miracle

And yes , enjoying your posts , stick with it , your making more sense than many other plodder posters on here ...... :sign:
:deadhorse:

Gee whiz Happy, your fixation on mentioning Geo in every post is bordering on BBF/Roberto Farah proportions. Neck and neck!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:04 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

And you know this how? It is glaringly obvious that nobody on here knows what the situation is at our club. It would be a reasonable guess to assume it's not great TBH.
So, if it came down to it and Maguire and Bennett both turned us down, you think we’d be better off getting rid of Ivan and appointing Hodgson, Payten or another rookie coach with no runs on the board?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:07 pm

Bloody hell. If we can't attract a bloke who hasn't got a job then we're doing something horribly wrong.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:11 pm

Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe flew to Auckland to have a meeting with prospective coach Michael Maguire about the possibility of replacing Ivan Cleary at the club in 2019.

Pascoe was originally meant to fly direct to the United States on a club corporate tour, however NRL.com can reveal the Tigers chief executive made a detour through Auckland to catch up with the New Zealand Kiwis coach before last Saturday's Test against Australia.

As it stands, the Wests Tigers will only release Cleary to join Penrith immediately if they can land what they perceive to be an upgrade – which is why premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett and Maguire are the only two candidates being considered.

However the decisions at Brisbane, who are interviewing candidates for the job from 2020, are likely to have major ramifications on who coaches the Tigers when they return for pre-season training next month.

Bennett, who also met up with Pascoe before flying to the United Kingdom with the English team, is still contracted to the Broncos next season.

The Tigers want him to join the club when he returns from international duty, however it's unlikely the Broncos will part ways with Bennett unless they have a coach locked in on a long-term deal starting from 2019.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.
©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
NRL.com understands South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold, who has one more year to run on his deal at the Rabbitohs, is the frontrunner for the Brisbane job from 2020 but timing would mean the Tigers would miss out on Bennett unless the Rabbitohs were to release their coach.

Maguire, who is understood to be one of four coaches interviewed by the Broncos along with Kevin Walters, Jason Demetriou and Seibold, is ready to step straight into the role at the Tigers.

His efforts in helping New Zealand defeat Australia in the Trans-Tasman Test last week haven't gone unnoticed.

Pascoe returns from the United States next week, when it is expected several clubs will make key decisions regarding their coaching set-up as they prepare for the start of pre-season, with several clubs kicking off their training programs on November 1.

While many at the Tigers believe Cleary's position at the club in 2019 is now untenable, they won't let him leave unless it is in the best interests of the organisation and there is a coach ready to take over.

Bennett and Maguire are in the United Kingdom preparing the England and New Zealand teams respectively and wouldn't be in a position to start at the club until at least mid-November.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/19/wes ... hing-role/
No more plodders!
:sign:

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:12 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 2:01 pm
avocadoontoast wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

And I haven’t read anywhere that’s interested in us or vice verca.
Quite the mystery then, isn't it?