Needaname

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by Needaname » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 7:59 pm
Needaname wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 7:30 pm
Goodness me. What a basket case.
We should never have played ducks and drakes.
Should have made a call on Cleary’s integrity from the start stand him down at the end of the season and go to market with a coaching position available.
Bennett would more likey be happy to wait till Parramatta move on from Arthur then to get sucked into us.
Knowing our luck we’ll end up with Cartwright or Griffin...
Leaving it all up to a player/coaches manager to broker the deal just does not seem like an assertive way to go about things.

I say it again, how can our club announce they have signed a coach without publicly announcing that Ivan has agreed to move to Penrith???
Penrith will screw us big time for this, and most likely Ivan may even be just a pawn in their game as well.
I don't believe that for a moment. If this whole circus is true, and Cleary has no intention of honouring his contract, I'd be very surprised if he were an innocent bystander (pawn) and not an instigator/driver of the process.
I didn’t say innocent I said a pawn.
Ivan may have every intention to want to coach Penrith.
But who knows whether the desire stated from Penrith is genuine or just to screw us around.
Someone’s feeding the media to generate a response from the club.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Balmainbred » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 7:06 pm
Balmainbred wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 6:59 pm
WT2K wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 6:14 pm
851 wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 5:56 pm

Don't be so sure, if souths don't re-sign Seibold, they will likely send him off to the Bronc's, they will not want him if he has signed elsewhere
Apparently rabbits have Adam O'Brien lined up
Bit late the Rorters have already signed him I think it happened around August : September by memorary.
I’m pretty sure most assistants are released if they manage to get a first grade gig.

But this thing is dragging on, who knows what’s happening. Yesterday it was madge to us 4 years. Today it’s madge to broncos 4 years...... Bennett goes cool on us, Bennett now warming up to us... I’m over it...
Can you see King Nick letting him off the hook, he would have had him nailed.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:15 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 6:13 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 5:27 pm
Yawn
Agreed wake me up when it's over

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 6:15 pm
Totally concur Willow.
Apart from his contractual obligations for 2019,I doubt very much whether Bennet wld risk his reputation at WTs.
TBH,he hasn't done such a great job at the Broncos given the talent and resources hes had available over the years,and its unlikely he wld match Clearys achievements.which wld leave his legacy of the coach he really is...average,with good mentoring skills and a media mystery
McGuire on the other hand isn't really in a position to choose if he misses the Broncos gig(which Seibold probably has sewn up)...Souths wont have him back,so what next...?
Youre assuming Willow thinks the same way, Willow may for instance have knowledge that the club is hell bent on a replacement for 2019. Bennett has been nothing but rock solid in saying that he is not available until 2020.

This could be why we are a bigger chance to get Maguire.

It could be as simple as that.

Also Wayne Bennett is a million times the coach Ivan Cleary is. People hold on to this he had the cattle thing but those who do that dont seem to pay much attention to him shaping those young men into the super stars they became.

Cleary made Michael Chee Kham a little more consistent. . . .
Its an opinion!

uuem

Post by uuem » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:32 pm

Think many are forgetting how far we have come. In the past would we have ever been discussing coaches in the same class as Bennett and Maquire to take over.
The front office has improved to the extent that these coaches are a possibility.
If it takes a little longer to get a result thats good for our clubs future I can live with that.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:32 pm

Can i ask a question.

Why have we not been mentioned or rumoured to be after Anthony Seibold?

If Bennett is the plan youd be better off having Pascoe meet up with Seibold rather going over to NZ to meet with Maguire. The Broncos might move a little quicker if we did that.
Its an opinion!

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:40 pm

uuem wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:32 pm
Think many are forgetting how far we have come. In the past would we have ever been discussing coaches in the same class as Bennett and Maquire to take over.
The front office has improved to the extent that these coaches are a possibility.
If it takes a little longer to get a result thats good for our clubs future I can live with that.
Our footy still has a long way to go.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:40 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Can i ask a question.

If Bennett is the plan youd be better off having Pascoe meet up with Seibold rather going over to NZ to meet with Maguire. The Broncos might move a little quicker if we did that.
Because hes a queenslander and rumoured to be wanting to ''return home''
Been a strong rumour at Souths the back end of the year

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:41 pm

Well at least everyone is back on main topic again.
Boy will I be glad when all this is over.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:49 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Can i ask a question.

I very much doubt that he would leave Souths to cia h WT.
Don’t get me wrong I would! But ... Seibold ...NaaAh!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 9:00 pm

Don’t think it’s about money with Seibold (not that we would outbid the Broncos anyway). It’s probably a combination of lifestyle (going home) and coaching a powerhouse with the best young roster in the competition.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 9:22 pm

Page 79 and still no parting of ways? Probably more the parting of waters when a coach is announced. It'd better be worth the wait ie Bennett.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 9:31 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm
clontarfkid wrote:
Totally concur Willow.
Apart from his contractual obligations for 2019,I doubt very much whether Bennet wld risk his reputation at WTs.
TBH,he hasn't done such a great job at the Broncos given the talent and resources hes had available over the years,and its unlikely he wld match Clearys achievements.which wld leave his legacy of the coach he really is...average,with good mentoring skills and a media mystery
McGuire on the other hand isn't really in a position to choose if he misses the Broncos gig(which Seibold probably has sewn up)...Souths wont have him back,so what next...?
Youre assuming Willow thinks the same way, Willow may for instance have knowledge that the club is hell bent on a replacement for 2019. Bennett has been nothing but rock solid in saying that he is not available until 2020.

Also Wayne Bennett is a million times the coach Ivan Cleary is. People hold on to this he had the cattle thing but those who do that dont seem to pay much attention to him shaping those young men into the super stars they became.

TP, you seem to downgrade the value of the “cattle “, that he has had to work with, it’s been a large part of his success , a very big part,
From the beginning he has had one of the best spotters that any club could hope for, he’s ,also had possibly the richest group of businessmen feeding him money,(maybe not as wealthy as Politis, )but overall there has been probably as much collectively or even more with the rest of Thoroughbreds Club.

The League Club was active in money being filtered to Bennett and players, and not just the top players,

The Fact that Andrew Gee is not officially on the books any more, doesn’t mean that the stream of money into various parts of the club has stopped.
He has been sucessful for a long time, and he’s certainly been responsible for a lot of the successfulltimes,

But, it would’ve been interesting to see what any other good Coach would have done with the money backing and young players coming through that he’s had
For a long time, the. Broncos very seldom missed out on any player that they wanted, as well as the pick of the young players in SEQld,
And that is going to continue.
All that is just a dream at most clubs including ours.
We aren’t suddenly going to find a magic stream of money for Benny and and an unlimited line of good players.
Without the players, Bennett will come back to the field, he’l still be a good coach, and he’ll improve some of our plodders, but to expect us to get results like the Broncos, is pie in the sky
That’s why I don’t think that there’s any. of him coming

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:14 pm

Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe flew to Auckland to have a meeting with prospective coach Michael Maguire about the possibility of replacing Ivan Cleary at the club in 2019.

Pascoe was originally meant to fly direct to the United States on a club corporate tour, however NRL.com can reveal the Tigers chief executive made a detour through Auckland to catch up with the New Zealand Kiwis coach before last Saturday's Test against Australia.

As it stands, the Wests Tigers will only release Cleary to join Penrith immediately if they can land what they perceive to be an upgrade – which is why premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett and Maguire are the only two candidates being considered.

However the decisions at Brisbane, who are interviewing candidates for the job from 2020, are likely to have major ramifications on who coaches the Tigers when they return for pre-season training next month.

Bennett, who also met up with Pascoe before flying to the United Kingdom with the English team, is still contracted to the Broncos next season.

The Tigers want him to join the club when he returns from international duty, however it's unlikely the Broncos will part ways with Bennett unless they have a coach locked in on a long-term deal starting from 2019.

NRL.com understands South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold, who has one more year to run on his deal at the Rabbitohs, is the frontrunner for the Brisbane job from 2020 but timing would mean the Tigers would miss out on Bennett unless the Rabbitohs were to release their coach.

Maguire, who is understood to be one of four coaches interviewed by the Broncos along with Kevin Walters, Jason Demetriou and Seibold, is ready to step straight into the role at the Tigers.

His efforts in helping New Zealand defeat Australia in the Trans-Tasman Test last week haven't gone unnoticed.

Pascoe returns from the United States next week, when it is expected several clubs will make key decisions regarding their coaching set-up as they prepare for the start of pre-season, with several clubs kicking off their training programs on November 1.

While many at the Tigers believe Cleary's position at the club in 2019 is now untenable, they won't let him leave unless it is in the best interests of the organisation and there is a coach ready to take over.

Bennett and Maguire are in the United Kingdom preparing the England and New Zealand teams respectively and wouldn't be in a position to start at the club until at least mid-November.
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:17 pm

Ummm
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:19 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 9:31 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm
clontarfkid wrote:
Totally concur Willow.

TP, you seem to downgrade the value of the “cattle “, that he has had to work with, it’s been a large part of his success , a very big part,
From the beginning he has had one of the best spotters that any club could hope for, he’s ,also had possibly the richest group of businessmen feeding him money,(maybe not as wealthy as Politis, )but overall there has been probably as much collectively or even more with the rest of Thoroughbreds Club.

The League Club was active in money being filtered to Bennett and players, and not just the top players,

The Fact that Andrew Gee is not officially on the books any more, doesn’t mean that the stream of money into various parts of the club has stopped.
He has been sucessful for a long time, and he’s certainly been responsible for a lot of the successfulltimes,

But, it would’ve been interesting to see what any other good Coach would have done with the money backing and young players coming through that he’s had
For a long time, the. Broncos very seldom missed out on any player that they wanted, as well as the pick of the young players in SEQld,
And that is going to continue.
All that is just a dream at most clubs including ours.
We aren’t suddenly going to find a magic stream of money for Benny and and an unlimited line of good players.
Without the players, Bennett will come back to the field, he’l still be a good coach, and he’ll improve some of our plodders, but to expect us to get results like the Broncos, is pie in the sky
That’s why I don’t think that there’s any. of him coming
If you want to talk about the merits of Wayne Bennett vs his rosters then you should have included Cyrill Connell in your post.

Cyrill Connell was the guy who plucked the Darren Lockyer's out of the bush. He was the one who presented these kids to Bennett. You could make an argument Bennett hasnt been as good since Cyril died and it might have some validity.

Bennett left the Broncos and was replaced by Henjack the year Cyrill passed.

The argument is that Bennett wouldnt have the record he has if not for his recruitment, thats a fair enough argument but the guy is noted as one of the best man mentors in the history of rugby league.

A club like ours who have had some really poor man managers could only dream.
Last edited by The Patriot on Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Its an opinion!

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:21 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Can i ask a question.

Anthony Seibold is good friends with Paul White, and I think that if Seibold does leave Souths it will only be a move to the Broncos.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:25 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:49 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Can i ask a question.

I very much doubt that he would leave Souths to cia h WT.
Don’t get me wrong I would! But ... Seibold ...NaaAh!
I highly doubt he would also, looks all but sewn up for the Broncos. We still could at least have a word to him though, due diligence and all?
Its an opinion!