Donald Trump

Post by Donald Trump » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:45 pm

Looks like it will be Maguire for us.
Let's make the Tigers great again!

Earl

Post by Earl » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:45 pm

TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:14 pm
Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe flew to Auckland to have a meeting with prospective coach Michael Maguire about the possibility of replacing Ivan Cleary at the club in 2019.
Pascoe returns from the United States next week, when it is expected several clubs will make key decisions regarding their coaching set-up as they prepare for the start of pre-season, with several clubs kicking off their training programs on November 1.
Can anyone else make any sense of this I assume newspaper article. Did he fly to Auckland and then back to the US. I assume that this is another made up article.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:50 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:04 pm
We’ve got some beauties on here.

Our own fans bad mouthing the Tigers all based in ... nothing. The journos are having a picnic making stuff up with not just us but Broncos, Souths as well.

Apparently, Bennett was going cold on us. Now he is warming to us. Also, Seibold has been interviewed for the Broncos job just this week but supposedly he signed four months ago? Maguire’s only coaching job is with NZ so he has applied at both Broncos and Tigers. Dooh.

The only truth so far is that Seibold is contracted to Souths for next year, Bennett is contracted to the Broncos for next year and Cleary is contracted to the Tigers for the next two years.

I’ve got no doubt that there will be a coach merry-go-round until managers have done their dance. Each club would desire that their coach is in place before 1 November so we’ve got possibly another ten days of journos “scoops” before the clubs officially make announcements.

I’ve got my preference but what can I do about it, except wait?
Well said...frankly I’m getting sick and tired of the hyper speculation that the NRL has become...

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:52 pm

Can we get to 100 pages before November 1?.?

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:59 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:19 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 9:31 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm
clontarfkid wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 6:15 pm
Totally concur Willow.
Apart from his contractual obligations for 2019,I doubt very much whether Bennet wld risk his reputation at WTs.
TBH,he hasn't done such a great job at the Broncos given the talent and resources hes had available over the years,and its unlikely he wld match Clearys achievements.which wld leave his legacy of the coach he really is...average,with good mentoring skills and a media mystery
McGuire on the other hand isn't really in a position to choose if he misses the Broncos gig(which Seibold probably has sewn up)...Souths wont have him back,so what next...?
Youre assuming Willow thinks the same way, Willow may for instance have knowledge that the club is hell bent on a replacement for 2019. Bennett has been nothing but rock solid in saying that he is not available until 2020.

This could be why we are a bigger chance to get Maguire.

It could be as simple as that.

Also Wayne Bennett is a million times the coach Ivan Cleary is. People hold on to this he had the cattle thing but those who do that dont seem to pay much attention to him shaping those young men into the super stars they became.

Cleary made Michael Chee Kham a little more consistent. . . .
TP, you seem to downgrade the value of the “cattle “, that he has had to work with, it’s been a large part of his success , a very big part,
From the beginning he has had one of the best spotters that any club could hope for, he’s ,also had possibly the richest group of businessmen feeding him money,(maybe not as wealthy as Politis, )but overall there has been probably as much collectively or even more with the rest of Thoroughbreds Club.

The League Club was active in money being filtered to Bennett and players, and not just the top players,

The Fact that Andrew Gee is not officially on the books any more, doesn’t mean that the stream of money into various parts of the club has stopped.
He has been sucessful for a long time, and he’s certainly been responsible for a lot of the successfulltimes,

But, it would’ve been interesting to see what any other good Coach would have done with the money backing and young players coming through that he’s had
For a long time, the. Broncos very seldom missed out on any player that they wanted, as well as the pick of the young players in SEQld,
And that is going to continue.
All that is just a dream at most clubs including ours.
We aren’t suddenly going to find a magic stream of money for Benny and and an unlimited line of good players.
Without the players, Bennett will come back to the field, he’l still be a good coach, and he’ll improve some of our plodders, but to expect us to get results like the Broncos, is pie in the sky
That’s why I don’t think that there’s any. of him coming
If you want to talk about the merits of Wayne Bennett vs his rosters then you should have included Cyrill Connell in your post.

Cyrill Connell was the guy who plucked the Darren Lockyer's out of the bush. He was the one who presented these kids to Bennett. You could make an argument Bennett hasnt been as good since Cyril died and it might have some validity.

Bennett left the Broncos and was replaced by Henjack the year Cyrill passed.

The argument is that Bennett wouldnt have the record he has if not for his recruitment, thats a fair enough argument but the guy is noted as one of the best man mentors in the history of rugby league.

A club like ours who have had some really poor man managers could only dream.
That was the spotter that I mentioned in my first paragraph, (I had a complete blank on his name)
And yes he was a huge talent for spotting players and worked for Bennett for years,

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:00 pm

Earl wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:45 pm
TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:14 pm
Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe flew to Auckland to have a meeting with prospective coach Michael Maguire about the possibility of replacing Ivan Cleary at the club in 2019.
Pascoe returns from the United States next week, when it is expected several clubs will make key decisions regarding their coaching set-up as they prepare for the start of pre-season, with several clubs kicking off their training programs on November 1.
Can anyone else make any sense of this I assume newspaper article. Did he fly to Auckland and then back to the US. I assume that this is another made up article.
NRL.com article. Pascoe flew to Auckland before going on a club business trip to America.
No more plodders!
:sign:

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:01 pm

tigerap wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:52 pm
Can we get to 100 pages before November 1?.?
Definitely be 100 pages by November 1
No more plodders!
:sign:

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:10 pm

I suspect it’s wishful thinking about Bennett.
Maguire is available now, lives in Sydney with a young family. Bennett is going to be 70 in 2020 and made it clear he will stick out next year with the Broncos. TPJ signing for 1 year after a cracker year speaks volumes. His value atm is sky high. The real risk we have is Maguire signing with Brisbane. Wayne will wait a year and have a stack of opportunities.

It’s all media guessing at this stage I suppose the Broncos announcement will determine what happens.

My guess is Seibold - Brisbane, Wayne- Souths, Maguire- Wests, Cleary- Penrith.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:30 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:59 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:19 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 9:31 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm

Youre assuming Willow thinks the same way, Willow may for instance have knowledge that the club is hell bent on a replacement for 2019. Bennett has been nothing but rock solid in saying that he is not available until 2020.

This could be why we are a bigger chance to get Maguire.

It could be as simple as that.

Also Wayne Bennett is a million times the coach Ivan Cleary is. People hold on to this he had the cattle thing but those who do that dont seem to pay much attention to him shaping those young men into the super stars they became.

Cleary made Michael Chee Kham a little more consistent. . . .
TP, you seem to downgrade the value of the “cattle “, that he has had to work with, it’s been a large part of his success , a very big part,
From the beginning he has had one of the best spotters that any club could hope for, he’s ,also had possibly the richest group of businessmen feeding him money,(maybe not as wealthy as Politis, )but overall there has been probably as much collectively or even more with the rest of Thoroughbreds Club.

The League Club was active in money being filtered to Bennett and players, and not just the top players,

The Fact that Andrew Gee is not officially on the books any more, doesn’t mean that the stream of money into various parts of the club has stopped.
He has been sucessful for a long time, and he’s certainly been responsible for a lot of the successfulltimes,

But, it would’ve been interesting to see what any other good Coach would have done with the money backing and young players coming through that he’s had
For a long time, the. Broncos very seldom missed out on any player that they wanted, as well as the pick of the young players in SEQld,
And that is going to continue.
All that is just a dream at most clubs including ours.
We aren’t suddenly going to find a magic stream of money for Benny and and an unlimited line of good players.
Without the players, Bennett will come back to the field, he’l still be a good coach, and he’ll improve some of our plodders, but to expect us to get results like the Broncos, is pie in the sky
That’s why I don’t think that there’s any. of him coming
If you want to talk about the merits of Wayne Bennett vs his rosters then you should have included Cyrill Connell in your post.

Cyrill Connell was the guy who plucked the Darren Lockyer's out of the bush. He was the one who presented these kids to Bennett. You could make an argument Bennett hasnt been as good since Cyril died and it might have some validity.

Bennett left the Broncos and was replaced by Henjack the year Cyrill passed.

The argument is that Bennett wouldnt have the record he has if not for his recruitment, thats a fair enough argument but the guy is noted as one of the best man mentors in the history of rugby league.

A club like ours who have had some really poor man managers could only dream.
That was the spotter that I mentioned in my first paragraph, (I had a complete blank on his name)
And yes he was a huge talent for spotting players and worked for Bennett for years,
Cyril was my old mans teacher and coach at Brisbane State High School (Rugby Union )

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 12:20 am

TYGA wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:10 pm
Maguire is available now, lives in Sydney with a young family. Bennett is going to be 70 in 2020 and made it clear he will stick out next year with the Broncos. TPJ signing for 1 year after a cracker year speaks volumes. His value atm is sky high. The real risk we have is Maguire signing with Brisbane. Wayne will wait a year and have a stack of opportunities.

It’s all media guessing at this stage I suppose the Broncos announcement will determine what happens.

Spot on!

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 12:28 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 12:20 am
TYGA wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 11:10 pm

Spot on!
The only issue is there is a media campaign against Wayne to the Tigers in 2020 from the same destabilising black cats that want Cleary next year. Best to listen to Brent Read his views are close to the info I was given.

Becoming clear we want Wayne.

vlad

Post by vlad » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:05 am

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 5f725139fc

Wayne Bennett still Wests Tigers’ priority in coaching circus

BRENT READ

SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

Wayne Bennett’s Wikipedia page was hacked yesterday. According to an entry under his coaching ­record, Bennett is bound for the West Coast Sea Eagles next season.

Funny stuff, except the NRL coaching saga at the moment is no laughing matter, and Bennett is in the thick of it as he ponders his ­future. His next move is likely to be decided while he is overseas, adding another layer to the madness that has become the story of the post-season.

Bennett, who coached England to a big win over France last weekend, is preparing for a three-match Test series against a Michael ­Maguire-coached New Zealand

He left Australian shores with his future under a cloud but will ­return with it likely decided. The dominoes in the most dramatic coaching saga in the game’s recent history are set to play out in ­coming days.

Bennett has become a central figure in the commotion, his future prompting a host of rumours, some of which have quickly been dismissed by others involved in the theatrics. There was speculation yesterday that he had withdrawn from the race to coach Wests ­Tigers, although that was denied by club officials.

Bennett remains the Tigers’ preferred option to replace Ivan Cleary, despite reports yesterday that chief executive Justin Pascoe had flown to Auckland on his way to America — he takes club corporates on an annual junket to tour sporting facilities and watch sporting events — to hold talks with Maguire.

The club has already discussed terms with Bennett and it knows where it stands. Timing remains the greatest impediment to the seven-time premiership winner becoming the Tigers’ next coach, with Cleary likely to be shown the door in the next fortnight, freeing him to take a lucrative deal at ­Penrith and coach his son Nathan.

Bennett has given every indication he wants to finish his contract at the Broncos in 2019 and that may force the Tigers to turn to Maguire.

Whispers continue that Bennett also has his eyes on the South Sydney job should Anthony Seibold successfully interview for the Broncos position and decide he wants to move north in 2020.

Bennett has a close relationship with several Souths players, most notably the Burgess brothers through his involvement with the England team. He has knocked on Souths’ door twice before — once he rebuffed them, and then they rebuffed him.

A third dance appears unlikely, at least from the Rabbitohs’ end, given they have enjoyed success with a young coach over the past 12 months and earmarked David Furner to take over before he was lured to Leeds for 2019. Furner is, however, yet to leave Australia and remains in the picture. The focus could sharpen on him over the weekend before his departure, depending on the plans of Seibold and Brisbane.

The Broncos are still going through their interview process, although they are likely to finish talking to the final member of their four-man shortlist — Kevin Walters — on Monday. They will then be in position to make a call on their successor to Bennett. By then, Manly may have unveiled Des Hasler, the most unlikely and unexpected appointment taking place first. The expectation is that the dominoes will fall rapidly after that.

The madness will lull but it will only be temporary. Once the coaches are in place, expect the players to become the focal point as rosters begin to be reshaped.

Amid the current and looming insanity, at least one thing is certain. Despite the wags on Wikipedia, you can be sure that Bennett won’t be at West Coast Sea Eagles next season.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:12 am

So poor old David Furner joins the waiting list now.

Cant wait for this thing to play out and all the pieces fall.
Its an opinion!

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:26 pm
I agree with Jirksyr, worst case scenario and we miss out on both Maguire and Bennett, we’ll stick with Cleary. Maybe re-evaluate the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 and see whose available.
Worst case scenario is if Cleary is coaching us next season. A bloke who will just be scratching his cods itching to get out of WT and back to Penrith. He won't care if we finish last next year, he won't care if players regress under him while he is here either. It will be a balls-up of monumental proportions if he is still here next year. No players will entertain coming to our club if it degenerates into a laughing stock (yet again) next season.
Ivan the sell-out must be shoved out the door at all costs, Penrith can have him next year, he is hardly a supercoach thus far in his coaching career.
Just want the turncoat gone ASAP.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:30 am

vlad wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:05 am
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 5f725139fc

Wayne Bennett still Wests Tigers’ priority in coaching circus

BRENT READ

SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

Wayne Bennett’s Wikipedia page was hacked yesterday. According to an entry under his coaching ­record, Bennett is bound for the West Coast Sea Eagles next season.

Funny stuff, except the NRL coaching saga at the moment is no laughing matter, and Bennett is in the thick of it as he ponders his ­future. His next move is likely to be decided while he is overseas, adding another layer to the madness that has become the story of the post-season.

Bennett, who coached England to a big win over France last weekend, is preparing for a three-match Test series against a Michael ­Maguire-coached New Zealand

He left Australian shores with his future under a cloud but will ­return with it likely decided. The dominoes in the most dramatic coaching saga in the game’s recent history are set to play out in ­coming days.

Bennett has become a central figure in the commotion, his future prompting a host of rumours, some of which have quickly been dismissed by others involved in the theatrics. There was speculation yesterday that he had withdrawn from the race to coach Wests ­Tigers, although that was denied by club officials.

Bennett remains the Tigers’ preferred option to replace Ivan Cleary, despite reports yesterday that chief executive Justin Pascoe had flown to Auckland on his way to America — he takes club corporates on an annual junket to tour sporting facilities and watch sporting events — to hold talks with Maguire.

The club has already discussed terms with Bennett and it knows where it stands. Timing remains the greatest impediment to the seven-time premiership winner becoming the Tigers’ next coach, with Cleary likely to be shown the door in the next fortnight, freeing him to take a lucrative deal at ­Penrith and coach his son Nathan.

Bennett has given every indication he wants to finish his contract at the Broncos in 2019 and that may force the Tigers to turn to Maguire.

Whispers continue that Bennett also has his eyes on the South Sydney job should Anthony Seibold successfully interview for the Broncos position and decide he wants to move north in 2020.

Bennett has a close relationship with several Souths players, most notably the Burgess brothers through his involvement with the England team. He has knocked on Souths’ door twice before — once he rebuffed them, and then they rebuffed him.

A third dance appears unlikely, at least from the Rabbitohs’ end, given they have enjoyed success with a young coach over the past 12 months and earmarked David Furner to take over before he was lured to Leeds for 2019. Furner is, however, yet to leave Australia and remains in the picture. The focus could sharpen on him over the weekend before his departure, depending on the plans of Seibold and Brisbane.

The Broncos are still going through their interview process, although they are likely to finish talking to the final member of their four-man shortlist — Kevin Walters — on Monday. They will then be in position to make a call on their successor to Bennett. By then, Manly may have unveiled Des Hasler, the most unlikely and unexpected appointment taking place first. The expectation is that the dominoes will fall rapidly after that.

The madness will lull but it will only be temporary. Once the coaches are in place, expect the players to become the focal point as rosters begin to be reshaped.

Amid the current and looming insanity, at least one thing is certain. Despite the wags on Wikipedia, you can be sure that Bennett won’t be at West Coast Sea Eagles next season.
Just Read , going over and over and over again with the same unconfirmed drivel .
If he throws enough guesses around , at least some of them is bound to be right, or at least close to being right

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:35 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:26 pm
I agree with Jirksyr, worst case scenario and we miss out on both Maguire and Bennett, we’ll stick with Cleary. Maybe re-evaluate the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 and see whose available.
Worst case scenario is if Cleary is coaching us next season. A bloke who will just be scratching his cods itching to get out of WT and back to Penrith. He won't care if we finish last next year, he won't care if players regress under him while he is here either. It will be a balls-up of monumental proportions if he is still here next year. No players will entertain coming to our club if it degenerates into a laughing stock (yet again) next season.
Ivan the sell-out must be shoved out the door at all costs, Penrith can have him next year, he is hardly a supercoach thus far in his coaching career.
Just want the turncoat gone ASAP.
So we are better off going with a noob like Hodgson or Payton for 2 or 3 years, then we are holding onto Ivan and re-evaluating the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 when someone who has more runs on the board may be available? That kind of thinking is the hysteria I was talking about yesterday.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:38 am

Brent Read is a moron.