GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 3:39 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 3:31 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:35 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am

Worst case scenario is if Cleary is coaching us next season. A bloke who will just be scratching his cods itching to get out of WT and back to Penrith. He won't care if we finish last next year, he won't care if players regress under him while he is here either. It will be a balls-up of monumental proportions if he is still here next year. No players will entertain coming to our club if it degenerates into a laughing stock (yet again) next season.
Ivan the sell-out must be shoved out the door at all costs, Penrith can have him next year, he is hardly a supercoach thus far in his coaching career.
Just want the turncoat gone ASAP.
So we are better off going with a noob like Hodgson or Payton for 2 or 3 years, then we are holding onto Ivan and re-evaluating the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 when someone who has more runs on the board may be available? That kind of thinking is the hysteria I was talking about yesterday.
Not sure what you are on about TBH. Why would we appoint Hodgson for 3 years? Why would we appoint Payten at all? (Haven't heard his name mentioned whatsoever as a possible coaching option for WT). Why would we still be holding onto Ivan if we got a caretaker coach? The reason we would have a new coach is because Ivan would have been let go to Penrith for 2019.
None of your post makes sense.

If Penrith want Ivan now, let him go no strings attatched, him staying on at WT will cause massive fan backlash and possible player disinterest towards someone who talked the talk and then pretty much bailed out to coach his son.
If we can't entice Bennett or Maguire here for 2019 then we should appoint Webster or to a lesser extent Hodgson as coach for next year and either of them would be aware that they are merely holding the coaches job oor 1 season only until Bennett or Maguire perhaps come on board for 2020 and beyond. At least Webster or Hodgson will have WT's best interests at heart for 2019, unlike Cleary. If neither of them (Bennett or Maguire) sign on the dotted line then we need to look at someone else long-term. Perhaps Toovey, Demetriou or Adam O'Brien.
Only if you are being intentionally obtuse. What I have been saying for days now if we can only pick up a noob like a Hodgson or a Payton, or someone similar, it is not worth letting Ivan go. The better option is sticking with him and re-evaluating at the end of 2019.
Reading your other post again it says "then" instead of "than" that maybe you intended to write. That 1 letter comletely changed the context of your statement.
Even still, why would we appoint a caretaker coach for 3 years? We need a committed, genuine long-term coach.
Also Ivan is contracted until 2020 isn't he? Looking at a coaching option at the end of 2019 isn't going to put us in any better position than doing it now- he will still be under contract either way.
Anyone but Cleary to coach us in 2019 I'd be happy with. Better than sticking with a bloke who doesn't want to be here, that will not benefit our club in any way IMO.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:05 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am

Worst case scenario is if Cleary is coaching us next season. A bloke who will just be scratching his cods itching to get out of WT and back to Penrith. He won't care if we finish last next year, he won't care if players regress under him while he is here either. It will be a balls-up of monumental proportions if he is still here next year. No players will entertain coming to our club if it degenerates into a laughing stock (yet again) next season.
Ivan the sell-out must be shoved out the door at all costs, Penrith can have him next year, he is hardly a supercoach thus far in his coaching career.
Just want the turncoat gone ASAP.
So we are better off going with a noob like Hodgson or Payton for 2 or 3 years, then we are holding onto Ivan and re-evaluating the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 when someone who has more runs on the board may be available? That kind of thinking is the hysteria I was talking about yesterday.
Not sure what you are on about TBH. Why would we appoint Hodgson for 3 years? Why would we appoint Payten at all? (Haven't heard his name mentioned whatsoever as a possible coaching option for WT). Why would we still be holding onto Ivan if we got a caretaker coach? The reason we would have a new coach is because Ivan would have been let go to Penrith for 2019.

If Penrith want Ivan now, let him go no strings attatched, him staying on at WT will cause massive fan backlash and possible player disinterest towards someone who talked the talk and then pretty much bailed out to coach his son.
If we can't entice Bennett or Maguire here for 2019 then we should appoint Webster or to a lesser extent Hodgson as coach for next year and either of them would be aware that they are merely holding the coaches job oor 1 season only until Bennett or Maguire perhaps come on board for 2020 and beyond. At least Webster or Hodgson will have WT's best interests at heart for 2019, unlike Cleary. If neither of them (Bennett or Maguire) sign on the dotted line then we need to look at someone else long-term. Perhaps Toovey, Demetriou or Adam O'Brien.
Only if you are being intentionally obtuse. What I have been saying for days now if we can only pick up a noob like a Hodgson or a Payton, or someone similar, it is not worth letting Ivan go. The better option is sticking with him and re-evaluating at the end of 2019.
Your posts do make sense

I just think some people interpret things differently and on occasions a member misreads a post which leads to confusion and bickering

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:06 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:01 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Reading your other post again it says "then" instead of "than" that maybe you intended to write. That 1 letter comletely changed the context of your statement.
Even still, why would we appoint a caretaker coach for 3 years? We need a committed, genuine long-term coach.
Also Ivan is contracted until 2020 isn't he? Looking at a coaching option at the end of 2019 isn't going to put us in any better position than doing it now- he will still be under contract either way.
Anyone but Cleary to coach us in 2019 I'd be happy with. Better than sticking with a bloke who doesn't want to be here, that will not benefit our club in any way IMO.
We wouldn’t, that is my point. That is why we hold onto Cleary. We don’t let him go to sign a coach for 2 or 3 years that you would consider to be a downgrade from Cleary.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:13 pm

You cant discount Ivan walking.
The backlash against him from fans will be immense especially if we miss out on Bennett and Maguire.
Dont think he would put his family through it, which may encourage Penrith to strike a deal to release him so that both clubs can get on with it.
If Ivan is under duress it cant be good for Nathan's game especially if they both live under the same roof.
Penrith imo opinion will pull out all stops - money wise - to resolve it if we miss out on both our coaching targets.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:59 pm

Yeah I just can’t see Cleary holding the reins in 2019, what a mess and something created because of a personal desire, really selfish to let down a place that gave you a lifeline and backed you 100%. This will come back to bite him.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:11 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:13 pm
You cant discount Ivan walking.
The backlash against him from fans will be immense especially if we miss out on Bennett and Maguire.
Dont think he would put his family through it, which may encourage Penrith to strike a deal to release him so that both clubs can get on with it.
If Ivan is under duress it cant be good for Nathan's game especially if they both live under the same roof.
Penrith imo opinion will pull out all stops - money wise - to resolve it if we miss out on both our coaching targets.
Get the pens in make him a offsider to tguy r new coach

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:29 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:06 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:01 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:

We wouldn’t, that is my point. That is why we hold onto Cleary. We don’t let him go to sign a coach for 2 or 3 years that you would consider to be a downgrade from Cleary.
Nobody would be a downgrade from him. For this club he is about the worst possible coach now. It doesn't matter how other clubs might regard him for us he is rubbish because he's completely undermined his own position.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:39 pm

Thought something like this would eventually come out in the media.
No more plodders!
:sign:

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:50 pm

Earl wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:45 pm
TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:14 pm
Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe flew to Auckland to have a meeting with prospective coach Michael Maguire about the possibility of replacing Ivan Cleary at the club in 2019.
Pascoe returns from the United States next week, when it is expected several clubs will make key decisions regarding their coaching set-up as they prepare for the start of pre-season, with several clubs kicking off their training programs on November 1.
Can anyone else make any sense of this I assume newspaper article. Did he fly to Auckland and then back to the US. I assume that this is another made up article.
it was on NRL, but frankly im over this saga
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:52 pm

I hope our new coach is signed day 2 of preseason training so Cleary has to face the players face to face on day 1. A contingent of disgruntled fans turning up to concord would also be fun to be part of.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:56 pm

TheDaBoss wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:50 pm
Earl wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:45 pm
TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:14 pm
Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe flew to Auckland to have a meeting with prospective coach Michael Maguire about the possibility of replacing Ivan Cleary at the club in 2019.
Pascoe returns from the United States next week, when it is expected several clubs will make key decisions regarding their coaching set-up as they prepare for the start of pre-season, with several clubs kicking off their training programs on November 1.
Can anyone else make any sense of this I assume newspaper article. Did he fly to Auckland and then back to the US. I assume that this is another made up article.
it was on NRL, but frankly im over this saga
According to one of those reports, Maguire's first choice is the Broncos.

I still believe the management company representing both Cleary and Bennett will want their clients in new clubs. I hope Bennett finds his way to the WTs because we need him. After what has happened he has the experience to move this team forward.

MissMe911

Post by MissMe911 » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:03 pm

Madge will be GREAT.
we need someone tough.
Bennett cant make a star studded broncos side perform so no thanks

matchball

Post by matchball » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:12 pm

WT2K wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 6:39 pm
Link didn't work for me.
What does it say? Please copy pasta

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:14 pm

helmesy wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 4:59 pm
Yeah I just can’t see Cleary holding the reins in 2019, what a mess and something created because of a personal desire, really selfish to let down a place that gave you a lifeline and backed you 100%. This will come back to bite him.
I think this situation has already done enormous damage to Ivan's creditability.
No one is going to believe a word that he says from now on.
You watch if he gets released from his contract at WT, he will say that he was always going to honour his contract here.
It was the WT that got rid of me, he will have a PR minder watching over him maybe that Roxy thing.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:19 pm

matchball wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:12 pm
WT2K wrote:
Link didn't work for me.
If they aren't already, things could get ugly in the split between Ivan Cleary and the Wests Tigers.

While nothing is official, reports suggest Cleary has signed-on to coach the Panthers once his contract at the Wests Tigers comes to an end in 2020.

However, the Tigers are willing to let Cleary as soon as they find a suitable replacement with the club chasing Wayne Bennett and Michael Maguire to takeover.

Interestingly, some Wests Tigers players are starting to lose respect for Cleary over the whole saga.

NRL.com reporter Michael Chammas joined Triple M's The Rush Hour with MG to discuss this issue:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-rush-hour-wit ... coaching-s
No more plodders!
:sign:

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:32 pm

MissMe911 wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:03 pm
Madge will be GREAT.
we need someone tough.
Tough? Ask South supporters about Glenn Stewart signed at the back end of his career with dodgy knees and the lack of flexibility from Maguire about training which forced him out of the Club. I make no apologies for not wanting him at out club. We can and should do far better.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:46 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:32 pm
MissMe911 wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:03 pm
Madge will be GREAT.
we need someone tough.
Tough? Ask South supporters about Glenn Stewart signed at the back end of his career with dodgy knees and the lack of flexibility from Maguire about training which forced him out of the Club. I make no apologies for not wanting him at out club. We can and should do far better.
Really? Because of that? If his knees were so dodgy he couldn't train properly then he probably should've been medically retired. Training is a fairly integral part of being a professional sportsman being paid several hundred thousand a year. Sounds like just like Watmough before him he took a gravy contract and then didn't want to put in...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:49 pm

WT2K wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:19 pm
matchball wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:12 pm
WT2K wrote:
Link didn't work for me.
If they aren't already, things could get ugly in the split between Ivan Cleary and the Wests Tigers.

While nothing is official, reports suggest Cleary has signed-on to coach the Panthers once his contract at the Wests Tigers comes to an end in 2020.

However, the Tigers are willing to let Cleary as soon as they find a suitable replacement with the club chasing Wayne Bennett and Michael Maguire to takeover.

Interestingly, some Wests Tigers players are starting to lose respect for Cleary over the whole saga.

NRL.com reporter Michael Chammas joined Triple M's The Rush Hour with MG to discuss this issue:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-rush-hour-wit ... coaching-s
Ivan is on the Green mile at Wests Tigers if true...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong