2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5550
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:57 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:53 pm

No one has said they are keen for him to coach. Some of us are just keen to see the club end up a marquee coach as opposed to a rookie.
With you GNR , short term hurt for long term hate and Cleary will have a reputation to protect

If Cleary dogs it , 16 clubs will be watching closely .........and Bennett would still have control of recruitment along with Kelly Egan and Pascoe

Cleary must know that Gus will sack him (if he actually even did ) as Gus doesn't take accountability for anything Gus does
It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?


goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:31 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 8:00 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:46 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:32 pm
MissMe911 wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 7:03 pm
Madge will be GREAT.
we need someone tough.
Bennett cant make a star studded broncos side perform so no thanks
Tough? Ask South supporters about Glenn Stewart signed at the back end of his career with dodgy knees and the lack of flexibility from Maguire about training which forced him out of the Club. I make no apologies for not wanting him at out club. We can and should do far better.
Really? Because of that? If his knees were so dodgy he couldn't train properly then he probably should've been medically retired. Training is a fairly integral part of being a professional sportsman being paid several hundred thousand a year. Sounds like just like Watmough before him he took a gravy contract and then didn't want to put in...
I recall we had a fairly prominent player with dodgy knees who couldn't train with the squad. Modifying training regimes to assist players with chronic injury is fairly standard, that is why we have physiotherapists. Bennett is the coach we need.
It’s not unusual with some players, and specially older players with knee problems,
Some players can be relied on to still give a full game on the weekend , but can’t even train until late in the week because of chronic injuries, if treated properly they can play a for quite a lot longer.
Stewart was one of those players,
He’d give a full effort on the Field, but would be managed during the week.
During the season most clubs would have players in the same boat

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:03 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:57 pm


With you GNR , short term hurt for long term hate and Cleary will have a reputation to protect

If Cleary dogs it , 16 clubs will be watching closely .........and Bennett would still have control of recruitment along with Kelly Egan and Pascoe

Cleary must know that Gus will sack him (if he actually even did ) as Gus doesn't take accountability for anything Gus does
It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Nrl players are ( with a few exceptions), professional, and still have pride in their performances
No matter what’s going on around them, sure it will be a small distraction , at first, but most will put in the same effort that they would’ve without it
Supporters will think what they like but the effort will still be there,
I think that it’s insulting to the players to say that the fact that a Coach is leaving after two more years will turn them into a bunch of nervous nellies

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:06 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:57 pm


With you GNR , short term hurt for long term hate and Cleary will have a reputation to protect

If Cleary dogs it , 16 clubs will be watching closely .........and Bennett would still have control of recruitment along with Kelly Egan and Pascoe

Cleary must know that Gus will sack him (if he actually even did ) as Gus doesn't take accountability for anything Gus does
It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Well you just would not have a clue!

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:24 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 2:14 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:52 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2018 1:26 pm
I agree with Jirksyr, worst case scenario and we miss out on both Maguire and Bennett, we’ll stick with Cleary. Maybe re-evaluate the coaching landscape at the end of 2019 and see whose available.
Worst case scenario is if Cleary is coaching us next season. A bloke who will just be scratching his cods itching to get out of WT and back to Penrith. He won't care if we finish last next year, he won't care if players regress under him while he is here either. It will be a balls-up of monumental proportions if he is still here next year. No players will entertain coming to our club if it degenerates into a laughing stock (yet again) next season.
Ivan the sell-out must be shoved out the door at all costs, Penrith can have him next year, he is hardly a supercoach thus far in his coaching career.
Just want the turncoat gone ASAP.
How is that any different to Bennett Broncos 2019 or Seibold Rabbitohs 2019?
Firstly, i couldnt give a rat's about Brisbane or Souths, my only concern is our club.
Brisbane and Souths are both powerhouses of the competition on the field with an endless stream of brilliant youngsters in their clubs and supremely powerful off the field with massive amounts of cash being tipped in from the Thoroughbreds and Rusty Crowd: there is absolutely no chance they will become laughing stocks of the NRL. We on the other hand struggle on the field (have done for a looooong time now), run on the smell of an oily rag off the field because we have no money, and have huge difficulty enticing quality players to come here. Plus our juniors are largely pus, we can't just promote from within we need to be able to attract talent from outside.
With all this crap innuendo and uncertainty surrounding our club, a minnow club, no players are going to be frothing to come here. That is what I am worried about.
I'm sorry you lost me when you said Souths were a powerhouse. In the late 60s yes, but I don't know what side you've been watching for the past 30 years - occasional finals contenders at best.

Anyway the point isn't comparing the "powerhouseyness" of clubs, the point is comparing the mentality or reality of having a coach who is potentally leaving the club after the current season. Seibold has confirmed interviewed with Broncos for the 2020 job, which means he is definitely interested in leaving Souths after 2019. Seibold has definitely rejected initial attempts for a contract extension at Souths, which is nearly unheard of for a rookie head coach.

So why is that any different from Cleary? In fact, at least Cleary has 2 more years to run on his Tigers deal, so theoretically more time to invest in a playing strategy, sign players etc. If Cleary is untenable, then Seibold must be 97% untenable at Souths also.


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41158
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:52 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:24 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 2:14 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:52 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am


Worst case scenario is if Cleary is coaching us next season. A bloke who will just be scratching his cods itching to get out of WT and back to Penrith. He won't care if we finish last next year, he won't care if players regress under him while he is here either. It will be a balls-up of monumental proportions if he is still here next year. No players will entertain coming to our club if it degenerates into a laughing stock (yet again) next season.
Ivan the sell-out must be shoved out the door at all costs, Penrith can have him next year, he is hardly a supercoach thus far in his coaching career.
Just want the turncoat gone ASAP.
How is that any different to Bennett Broncos 2019 or Seibold Rabbitohs 2019?
Firstly, i couldnt give a rat's about Brisbane or Souths, my only concern is our club.
Brisbane and Souths are both powerhouses of the competition on the field with an endless stream of brilliant youngsters in their clubs and supremely powerful off the field with massive amounts of cash being tipped in from the Thoroughbreds and Rusty Crowd: there is absolutely no chance they will become laughing stocks of the NRL. We on the other hand struggle on the field (have done for a looooong time now), run on the smell of an oily rag off the field because we have no money, and have huge difficulty enticing quality players to come here. Plus our juniors are largely pus, we can't just promote from within we need to be able to attract talent from outside.
With all this crap innuendo and uncertainty surrounding our club, a minnow club, no players are going to be frothing to come here. That is what I am worried about.
I'm sorry you lost me when you said Souths were a powerhouse. In the late 60s yes, but I don't know what side you've been watching for the past 30 years - occasional finals contenders at best.

Anyway the point isn't comparing the "powerhouseyness" of clubs, the point is comparing the mentality or reality of having a coach who is potentally leaving the club after the current season. Seibold has confirmed interviewed with Broncos for the 2020 job, which means he is definitely interested in leaving Souths after 2019. Seibold has definitely rejected initial attempts for a contract extension at Souths, which is nearly unheard of for a rookie head coach.

So why is that any different from Cleary? In fact, at least Cleary has 2 more years to run on his Tigers deal, so theoretically more time to invest in a playing strategy, sign players etc. If Cleary is untenable, then Seibold must be 97% untenable at Souths also.
As is Bennett at Brisbane :roll:

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5550
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:19 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:24 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 2:14 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:52 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am


Worst case scenario is if Cleary is coaching us next season. A bloke who will just be scratching his cods itching to get out of WT and back to Penrith. He won't care if we finish last next year, he won't care if players regress under him while he is here either. It will be a balls-up of monumental proportions if he is still here next year. No players will entertain coming to our club if it degenerates into a laughing stock (yet again) next season.
Ivan the sell-out must be shoved out the door at all costs, Penrith can have him next year, he is hardly a supercoach thus far in his coaching career.
Just want the turncoat gone ASAP.
How is that any different to Bennett Broncos 2019 or Seibold Rabbitohs 2019?
Firstly, i couldnt give a rat's about Brisbane or Souths, my only concern is our club.
Brisbane and Souths are both powerhouses of the competition on the field with an endless stream of brilliant youngsters in their clubs and supremely powerful off the field with massive amounts of cash being tipped in from the Thoroughbreds and Rusty Crowd: there is absolutely no chance they will become laughing stocks of the NRL. We on the other hand struggle on the field (have done for a looooong time now), run on the smell of an oily rag off the field because we have no money, and have huge difficulty enticing quality players to come here. Plus our juniors are largely pus, we can't just promote from within we need to be able to attract talent from outside.
With all this crap innuendo and uncertainty surrounding our club, a minnow club, no players are going to be frothing to come here. That is what I am worried about.
I'm sorry you lost me when you said Souths were a powerhouse. In the late 60s yes, but I don't know what side you've been watching for the past 30 years - occasional finals contenders at best.

Anyway the point isn't comparing the "powerhouseyness" of clubs, the point is comparing the mentality or reality of having a coach who is potentally leaving the club after the current season. Seibold has confirmed interviewed with Broncos for the 2020 job, which means he is definitely interested in leaving Souths after 2019. Seibold has definitely rejected initial attempts for a contract extension at Souths, which is nearly unheard of for a rookie head coach.

So why is that any different from Cleary? In fact, at least Cleary has 2 more years to run on his Tigers deal, so theoretically more time to invest in a playing strategy, sign players etc. If Cleary is untenable, then Seibold must be 97% untenable at Souths also.
Are you trying to say that Souths are not in a better position than WT on the field then? They went within a game of the GF this year didn't they (I can't remember precisely). They won a premiership only 4 years ago. They have extremely talented youngsters on their books in Douhi, Murray and that winger. They have one of the best forwards in the comp in Sam Burgess. They are miles ahead of us on the field. And off the field they have a bottomless pit of cash thanks to Russell Crowe.
They will be right in the running for a premiership in the next 3 or 4 years. Will WT? Not bloody likely.
Compared to us they are a powerhouse.
Their coaching situation has been handled much better than the pig's breakfast that the WT's coaching soap-opera has become. If Seibold leaves, Souths will have no problem whatsoever attracting a top-line coach. Their club is seen as a desirable destination for coaches and players. Safe to say our club isn't.

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5550
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:25 am

momo&medo wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:06 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm


It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Well you just would not have a clue!
Care to share your knowledge then if you supposedly "do have a clue"?

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:38 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:19 am
jirskyr wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:24 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 2:14 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:52 am

How is that any different to Bennett Broncos 2019 or Seibold Rabbitohs 2019?
Firstly, i couldnt give a rat's about Brisbane or Souths, my only concern is our club.
Brisbane and Souths are both powerhouses of the competition on the field with an endless stream of brilliant youngsters in their clubs and supremely powerful off the field with massive amounts of cash being tipped in from the Thoroughbreds and Rusty Crowd: there is absolutely no chance they will become laughing stocks of the NRL. We on the other hand struggle on the field (have done for a looooong time now), run on the smell of an oily rag off the field because we have no money, and have huge difficulty enticing quality players to come here. Plus our juniors are largely pus, we can't just promote from within we need to be able to attract talent from outside.
With all this crap innuendo and uncertainty surrounding our club, a minnow club, no players are going to be frothing to come here. That is what I am worried about.
I'm sorry you lost me when you said Souths were a powerhouse. In the late 60s yes, but I don't know what side you've been watching for the past 30 years - occasional finals contenders at best.

Anyway the point isn't comparing the "powerhouseyness" of clubs, the point is comparing the mentality or reality of having a coach who is potentally leaving the club after the current season. Seibold has confirmed interviewed with Broncos for the 2020 job, which means he is definitely interested in leaving Souths after 2019. Seibold has definitely rejected initial attempts for a contract extension at Souths, which is nearly unheard of for a rookie head coach.

So why is that any different from Cleary? In fact, at least Cleary has 2 more years to run on his Tigers deal, so theoretically more time to invest in a playing strategy, sign players etc. If Cleary is untenable, then Seibold must be 97% untenable at Souths also.
Are you trying to say that Souths are not in a better position than WT on the field then? They went within a game of the GF this year didn't they (I can't remember precisely). They won a premiership only 4 years ago. They have extremely talented youngsters on their books in Douhi, Murray and that winger. They have one of the best forwards in the comp in Sam Burgess. They are miles ahead of us on the field. And off the field they have a bottomless pit of cash thanks to Russell Crowe.
They will be right in the running for a premiership in the next 3 or 4 years. Will WT? Not bloody likely.
Compared to us they are a powerhouse.
Their coaching situation has been handled much better than the pig's breakfast that the WT's coaching soap-opera has become. If Seibold leaves, Souths will have no problem whatsoever attracting a top-line coach. Their club is seen as a desirable destination for coaches and players. Safe to say our club isn't.
Doubt Siebold would openly apply for a position at the Broncos without Souths knowing about it.
Ivan however when reportedly discussing his sons future with Penrith was also suring up his own, while we stupidly were getting ready to put forward our offer to have them both secured. The result of that putting the pressure on our club to release him at a time when the club had finally found a level of stabilty and were in the market to strengthen our squad.
Penrith are largely responsible for creating the drama, but Ivans responses and or lack there of has done little to put any faith in him to want to committ to our club over the next two years. If anything he just appears to be bitter at being caught out.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22673
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:54 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:12 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:02 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:27 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:53 pm

No one has said they are keen for him to coach. Some of us are just keen to see the club end up a marquee coach as opposed to a rookie.
How is having Cleary coach WT next year gonna help us secure a marquee coach any more than having Webster, Hodgson etc coach us next year? Cold, hard fact is that it is not. Pretty simple really.
Because we would be making a commitment to a Hodgson or Webster for at least 2 years. Whereas we could give Cleary his release if someone of quality comes on the market.
If Bennett is off-contract for 2020 (and provided he wants to coach WT), why would Webster or Hodgson have to coach for at least 2 years? We only need them for 1 season in that scenario.
Yes we would, which is why it’s the exact scenario I have been advocating for weeks to happen.

Tcat
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by Tcat » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:24 am

Telltails wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:38 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:19 am
jirskyr wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:24 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 2:14 pm


Firstly, i couldnt give a rat's about Brisbane or Souths, my only concern is our club.
Brisbane and Souths are both powerhouses of the competition on the field with an endless stream of brilliant youngsters in their clubs and supremely powerful off the field with massive amounts of cash being tipped in from the Thoroughbreds and Rusty Crowd: there is absolutely no chance they will become laughing stocks of the NRL. We on the other hand struggle on the field (have done for a looooong time now), run on the smell of an oily rag off the field because we have no money, and have huge difficulty enticing quality players to come here. Plus our juniors are largely pus, we can't just promote from within we need to be able to attract talent from outside.
With all this crap innuendo and uncertainty surrounding our club, a minnow club, no players are going to be frothing to come here. That is what I am worried about.
I'm sorry you lost me when you said Souths were a powerhouse. In the late 60s yes, but I don't know what side you've been watching for the past 30 years - occasional finals contenders at best.

Anyway the point isn't comparing the "powerhouseyness" of clubs, the point is comparing the mentality or reality of having a coach who is potentally leaving the club after the current season. Seibold has confirmed interviewed with Broncos for the 2020 job, which means he is definitely interested in leaving Souths after 2019. Seibold has definitely rejected initial attempts for a contract extension at Souths, which is nearly unheard of for a rookie head coach.

So why is that any different from Cleary? In fact, at least Cleary has 2 more years to run on his Tigers deal, so theoretically more time to invest in a playing strategy, sign players etc. If Cleary is untenable, then Seibold must be 97% untenable at Souths also.
Are you trying to say that Souths are not in a better position than WT on the field then? They went within a game of the GF this year didn't they (I can't remember precisely). They won a premiership only 4 years ago. They have extremely talented youngsters on their books in Douhi, Murray and that winger. They have one of the best forwards in the comp in Sam Burgess. They are miles ahead of us on the field. And off the field they have a bottomless pit of cash thanks to Russell Crowe.
They will be right in the running for a premiership in the next 3 or 4 years. Will WT? Not bloody likely.
Compared to us they are a powerhouse.
Their coaching situation has been handled much better than the pig's breakfast that the WT's coaching soap-opera has become. If Seibold leaves, Souths will have no problem whatsoever attracting a top-line coach. Their club is seen as a desirable destination for coaches and players. Safe to say our club isn't.
Doubt Siebold would openly apply for a position at the Broncos without Souths knowing about it.
Ivan however when reportedly discussing his sons future with Penrith was also suring up his own, while we stupidly were getting ready to put forward our offer to have them both secured. The result of that putting the pressure on our club to release him at a time when the club had finally found a level of stabilty and were in the market to strengthen our squad.
Penrith are largely responsible for creating the drama, but Ivans responses and or lack there of has done little to put any faith in him to want to committ to our club over the next two years. If anything he just appears to be bitter at being caught out.
Ivan wasn't talking to Penrith about Nathan. Nathan is an adult with a highly paid manager who negotiates for him. Why would Ivan need to discuss anything regarding his sons contract. He was shoring his own selfish career up. See you Ivan, bring on Madge.

Red88 Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:55 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:25 am
momo&medo wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:06 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm


Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Well you just would not have a clue!
Care to share your knowledge then if you supposedly "do have a clue"?
Imo
Wayne has an aura about him. Regardless of how he treats media they hang for what he has to say. He uses this to his advantage nowadays. He's had the luxury of pro broncos media for years though

TrueTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5498
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:57 am

I see it like this.....

Ivan wants to coach his son sometime in the future.....

Nathan signs long term with Penrith for the next 5 years...

Ivan (if true) signs with Penrith from 2021....

Ivan states he will honour his contract to keep coaching WTs until 2020....
He then goes to Penrith to coach Nathan in 2021...

I cant see the drama that everybody is in hysterics about,Ivan will continue meeting his obligations under the terms of his contract and remain professional in doing so...

This is the NRL...these things happen....people get to emotional and wrapped up in speculation and inuendos...

If Ivan goes weather he is released or otherwise,I will keep paying my membership and following the WTs as I have since 2000,,, not a problem to me....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:00 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:57 pm


With you GNR , short term hurt for long term hate and Cleary will have a reputation to protect

If Cleary dogs it , 16 clubs will be watching closely .........and Bennett would still have control of recruitment along with Kelly Egan and Pascoe

Cleary must know that Gus will sack him (if he actually even did ) as Gus doesn't take accountability for anything Gus does
It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Bennett is the only choice. If we don't go with him, even if it means waiting a year we deserve everything we get. That so many associate "tough" with Maguire and do so as a positive astounds me. Toughness isn't being inflexible or shouting, gesticulating or demonstrating anger. That should be far behind us and we should be striving for corporate dollars, new players who improve out tream and a respected coach with a proven record of success oveer a long period.

Tcat
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by Tcat » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:08 am

TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 8:57 am
I see it like this.....

Ivan wants to coach his son sometime in the future.....

Nathan signs long term with Penrith for the next 5 years...

Ivan (if true) signs with Penrith from 2021....

Ivan states he will honour his contract to keep coaching WTs until 2020....
He then goes to Penrith to coach Nathan in 2021...

I cant see the drama that everybody is in hysterics about,Ivan will continue meeting his obligations under the terms of his contract and remain professional in doing so...

This is the NRL...these things happen....people get to emotional and wrapped up in speculation and inuendos...

If Ivan goes weather he is released or otherwise,I will keep paying my membership and following the WTs as I have since 2000,,, not a problem to me....
I see your point but my issue is with the system itself and it needs to be changed. We know what Ivan wants but he shouldn't be allowed to negotiate this far out from his contract ending with us. It's been spoken about so much and you can say it happens in modern day business but in the sports arena there is too much emotion and media agenda involved. Ivan cant effectively do his job, motivate the team and recruit in the position hes put himself in.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29648
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:12 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:00 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm


It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Bennett is the only choice. If we don't go with him, even if it means waiting a year we deserve everything we get. That so many associate "tough" with Maguire and do so as a positive astounds me. Toughness isn't being inflexible or shouting, gesticulating or demonstrating anger. That should be far behind us and we should be striving for corporate dollars, new players who improve out tream and a respected coach with a proven record of success oveer a long period.
Let's say Wayne actually doesn't want to come has a good year at the Broncos and decided he had enough as hypothetical...

Which Coach with a proven record of success over a long period should we target...?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:19 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:12 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:00 am
Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm


Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Bennett is the only choice. If we don't go with him, even if it means waiting a year we deserve everything we get. That so many associate "tough" with Maguire and do so as a positive astounds me. Toughness isn't being inflexible or shouting, gesticulating or demonstrating anger. That should be far behind us and we should be striving for corporate dollars, new players who improve out tream and a respected coach with a proven record of success oveer a long period.
Let's say Wayne actually doesn't want to come has a good year at the Broncos and decided he had enough as hypothetical...

Which Coach with a proven record of success over a long period should we target...?
Well Robbie will be retired ..... so we should definitely give Jason another go :roll

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5164
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:50 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 11:18 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:13 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 10:06 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Oct, 2018 9:57 pm


With you GNR , short term hurt for long term hate and Cleary will have a reputation to protect

If Cleary dogs it , 16 clubs will be watching closely .........and Bennett would still have control of recruitment along with Kelly Egan and Pascoe

Cleary must know that Gus will sack him (if he actually even did ) as Gus doesn't take accountability for anything Gus does
It's not about Cleary "dogging it". He can be as professional as he likes and it won't matter because the players just won't respond to him in the same way as before. The players will also have a ready-made excuse for failing and that's one thing players never need. The media will be death riding the club the whole year wanting to see it fail under Cleary. It would be a disastrous season and we don't need that.
Yeah I have stated the same Nelson , but if it means getting Bennett its win /win long term

Especially if the club comes out and announces Bennett

Bennett and Pascoe can then tell any players they won't accept mediocrity and if it is offered by the players contracts will be torn up

Bennett is a far better option than Maguire , he will bring sponsors and will help with big name recruitment , our two biggest weaknesses
I'm no marketing guru but I struggle to understand how having a sour, miserable git who always looks like he has been force-fed a turd sandwich would help attract sponsors. He is bordering on being an embarrassment in front of the media. Publicity would have to be the only reason surely?
Because he is the best coach in the NRL - with the runs on the board.

Post Reply