Re: 2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:39 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:35 pm
mike wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:23 pm
Why cant the former players have the same level of support as us fans. Hypocritical for us to still be supporting the club but expect the former player to just drop off.
Agreed, except for Elias as he just sprouts crap and is probably the reason why most get their back up about non WT players being quoted in the media.
Understandable. Still waiting for him to move to Perth.
Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 9:01 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 7:46 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 5:57 pm
Another blowhard masquerading as a WT’s legend.
That's pretty ordinary even for you GNR. I believe Brasher played lower grade for the Magpies as well.
Sure did, for Burwood United as I coached against his team for a few years.

Part of two FOUNDATION clubs that formed a joint venture. There is no WT without either, simple.

mctiger

Post by mctiger » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 10:48 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:20 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:07 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 8:03 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 7:56 pm
Looks like i’ve upset a few. Sorry, tired of hearing from players who never put on the WT’s jersey. We had one article yesterday hearing from Skando and Richards after hearing from Elias for the upteemth time a day before. Now we’ve gone backwards again.
Were you a Wests or Balmain supporter before becoming a WT supporter?
Wests. But i’d equally have zero interest in hearing anything Tommy dribbles out these days.
So you were a Wests supporter and now you're a WT supporter commenting on Wests Tigers. What is so wrong with a past Balmain player (presumably now a WT supporter) commenting on Wests Tigers? I don't have a problem with it. The more positive public support we get the better as far as I'm concerned.
Set him up for the hook and bowled him a yorker!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 12:33 am

willow wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 5:47 pm
Tigers legend Tim Brasher frustrated with coaching circus after Cleary’s Panthers move
AAP OCTOBER 31, 2018 9:33AM

TIGERS legend Tim Brasher has hit out at the coaching merry-go-round, that has seen a number of coaches including Ivan Cleary change clubs this off-season.

DISGUSTED by the NRL coaching merry-go-round, Balmain great Tim Brasher has still backed new Wests Tigers mentor Michael Maguire to spark the joint venture - if he sticks around.

Brasher slammed NRL coaches for changing teams “like they change their undies” but hoped Maguire was committed to seeing out his three-year Tigers deal and making a difference as Ivan Cleary’s replacement.

Cleary has earned the ire of Tigers fans after seeking a release from the final two years of his deal at the joint venture to reunite with Penrith in 2019 on a five-season contract.

The move came amid an extraordinary period of coaching changes, with New Zealand mentor Maguire snared by the Tigers, Brisbane’s Wayne Bennett linking with South Sydney from 2020 in a swap with the Rabbitohs’ Anthony Seibold and Des Hasler returning to Manly.

Brasher tipped big things for the Tigers under Maguire but hoped the South Sydney premiership-winning mentor was determined to hang around and inspire the joint venture after the Cleary debacle.

“As long as he wants to be there, that is the main thing,” Brasher told AAP when asked about Maguire.

“The bottom line is if you don’t want to be there, if you are not happy, then it’s no good for anyone.

“But if you are passionate about the place and want to stay and make a difference then you can do just that.” Brasher hit out at Cleary’s move after Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe called for the NRL to curb coach poaching.

Pascoe wanted to adopt a system where coaches can only be approached by rivals when off contract, just like players, after admitting the Tigers felt betrayed by Cleary’s departure.

The topic is expected to be discussed at the NRL CEOs meeting next month.

“These days they change teams like they change their undies even if they have a contract for another few years,” Brasher said of NRL coaches.

“I don’t agree with it. I believe if you sign a contract, you honour that contract and do your best when you are there.

“I don’t like the state of play at the moment.

“What does it teach the kids? To be able to get out of a contract is disgusting.”
The same Tigers legend that spent his last 5 seasons playing at 2 other club and then switched to Rugby Union in England

At least blokes like Elias ,Roach ,Sironen , Pearce were true one club players

The word legend is well and truly overused by all

I understand where GNR is coming from I'd rather these blokes let the club handle this stuff , not become Jeff Thomson's of the rugby league world for a phone -a -rant to make a headline

Just my 2 bob's worth

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 7:41 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 12:33 am
willow wrote:
Tigers legend Tim Brasher frustrated with coaching circus after Cleary’s Panthers move

TIGERS legend Tim Brasher has hit out at the coaching merry-go-round, that has seen a number of coaches including Ivan Cleary change clubs this off-season.

DISGUSTED by the NRL coaching merry-go-round, Balmain great Tim Brasher has still backed new Wests Tigers mentor Michael Maguire to spark the joint venture - if he sticks around.

Brasher slammed NRL coaches for changing teams “like they change their undies” but hoped Maguire was committed to seeing out his three-year Tigers deal and making a difference as Ivan Cleary’s replacement.

Cleary has earned the ire of Tigers fans after seeking a release from the final two years of his deal at the joint venture to reunite with Penrith in 2019 on a five-season contract.

The move came amid an extraordinary period of coaching changes, with New Zealand mentor Maguire snared by the Tigers, Brisbane’s Wayne Bennett linking with South Sydney from 2020 in a swap with the Rabbitohs’ Anthony Seibold and Des Hasler returning to Manly.

Brasher tipped big things for the Tigers under Maguire but hoped the South Sydney premiership-winning mentor was determined to hang around and inspire the joint venture after the Cleary debacle.

“As long as he wants to be there, that is the main thing,” Brasher told AAP when asked about Maguire.

“The bottom line is if you don’t want to be there, if you are not happy, then it’s no good for anyone.

“But if you are passionate about the place and want to stay and make a difference then you can do just that.” Brasher hit out at Cleary’s move after Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe called for the NRL to curb coach poaching.

Pascoe wanted to adopt a system where coaches can only be approached by rivals when off contract, just like players, after admitting the Tigers felt betrayed by Cleary’s departure.

“These days they change teams like they change their undies even if they have a contract for another few years,” Brasher said of NRL coaches.

“I don’t agree with it. I believe if you sign a contract, you honour that contract and do your best when you are there.

“What does it teach the kids? To be able to get out of a contract is disgusting.”
The same Tigers legend that spent his last 5 seasons playing at 2 other club and then switched to Rugby Union in England

I understand where GNR is coming from I'd rather these blokes let the club handle this stuff , not become Jeff Thomson's of the rugby league world for a phone -a -rant to make a headline

Just my 2 bob's worth
Simple question.

Why do you get a say and he doesnt?
Its an opinion!

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 9:21 am

happy tiger wrote:
willow wrote:

Just my 2 bob's worth
I suppose that rules Tommy out of being a Wests legend then. ;)

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 9:28 am

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 6:08 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 5:57 pm
Another blowhard masquerading as a WT’s legend.
That's a low blow

He loves the club like ex Balmain and wests fans do

He doesn't chase the headlines like Elias and Roach

I'm guessing the press chased him and he just gave his opinion

Just because he is ex Balmain doesn't mean he doesn't care about WT and is chasing the spotlight
Yes not warranted.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 8:47 pm

MARK Geyer as called for NRL clubs with departing coaches to “cut the cord” and move on or risk a “wasted season”
It may be the first day of the pre-season for some clubs but they risk derailing their whole season according to the Penrith legend.
Speaking on Triple M’s The Rush Hour, Geyer called out Wayne Bennett after reports the Brisbane mentor, who is set to go to South Sydney in 2020, is already recruiting players.
The Australian’s Brent Read tweeted on Thursday the Rabbitohs have reached out to Merrin under the instruction of Bennett.
It was reported last week Penrith was prepared to grant Merrin a release from his contract before the start of the 2019 NRL season following reports Leeds Rhinos had offered a rich four-year deal.

With the proposal set to see Merrin at South Sydney from next season, Geyer cast doubt on the whether Bennett should be allowed to move players to a club he’s not yet at.
Wayne Bennett’s reportedly already looking to the future.
Wayne Bennett’s reportedly already looking to the future.Source:Getty Images
Geyer said it’s setting a dangerous precedent and warned the clubs who have trouble cutting their coaches free.
“I don’t even think he can now, to be honest,” he said.
“If you’re coaching 12 months out from a team that you’re going to be playing against the next year, you’re looking about their roster, not your own.
“Manly and Brisbane in particular, the longer you delay cutting their losses and paying out the coaches in question — Trent Barrett and Wayne Bennett — the more your club is being derailed with uncertainty.
“Cut the cord, let them go. Cut your losses. Half a million there, half a million here — what price is security? And what price going forward with a spring in your step? When you’ve got this lingering elephant in the room constantly while your season is playing out.
“You don’t want a wasted season because you didn’t make a decision at the start of the year to swap a coach. Because your fans won’t forgive you and nor should they.”
It comes after reports neither of the two coaches on Manly’s books, Trent Barrett or Des Hasler, turned up on the first day of pre-season.
“What are Manly players thinking, Brisbane and the Penns (Manly owners), give Trent what he wants, give Wayne what he wants and give the fans what they want,” Geyer said.
in Ivan we distrust

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 8:50 pm

Not our concern anymore.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 8:51 pm

So it's ok for clubs like Penrith to poach coaches early into a contract but if the coach doesn't leave then he shouldn't line up players for his next gig?
Is that what he is saying?
in Ivan we distrust

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 8:56 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 8:47 pm
MARK Geyer as called for NRL clubs with departing coaches to “cut the cord” and move on or risk a “wasted season”
It may be the first day of the pre-season for some clubs but they risk derailing their whole season according to the Penrith legend.
Speaking on Triple M’s The Rush Hour, Geyer called out Wayne Bennett after reports the Brisbane mentor, who is set to go to South Sydney in 2020, is already recruiting players.
The Australian’s Brent Read tweeted on Thursday the Rabbitohs have reached out to Merrin under the instruction of Bennett.
It was reported last week Penrith was prepared to grant Merrin a release from his contract before the start of the 2019 NRL season following reports Leeds Rhinos had offered a rich four-year deal.

With the proposal set to see Merrin at South Sydney from next season, Geyer cast doubt on the whether Bennett should be allowed to move players to a club he’s not yet at.
Geyer said it’s setting a dangerous precedent and warned the clubs who have trouble cutting their coaches free.
“If you’re coaching 12 months out from a team that you’re going to be playing against the next year, you’re looking about their roster, not your own.
“Manly and Brisbane in particular, the longer you delay cutting their losses and paying out the coaches in question — Trent Barrett and Wayne Bennett — the more your club is being derailed with uncertainty.
“Cut the cord, let them go. Cut your losses. Half a million there, half a million here — what price is security? And what price going forward with a spring in your step? When you’ve got this lingering elephant in the room constantly while your season is playing out.
“You don’t want a wasted season because you didn’t make a decision at the start of the year to swap a coach. Because your fans won’t forgive you and nor should they.”
It comes after reports neither of the two coaches on Manly’s books, Trent Barrett or Des Hasler, turned up on the first day of pre-season.
“What are Manly players thinking, Brisbane and the Penns (Manly owners), give Trent what he wants, give Wayne what he wants and give the fans what they want,” Geyer said.
This is getting insane

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 9:04 pm

So Bennett can now hire and fire for 2020 with not a care in how effects souths 2019 campaign.
Thank God we're not that stupid.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 9:15 pm

Really worked out getting rid of Cleary early. Had he seen out the contract Marsters and Twal following would have been a worry.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 9:22 pm

Geyer is really vocal now that Penrith have signed sealed and delivered Ivan Cleary.

He wasnt half as vocal before.
Its an opinion!

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 9:26 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 8:56 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 8:47 pm

This is getting insane
This is not about South's or Bennett pinching Merrin.
Merrin is being forced out by Penrith. Like what Taylor tried to do with Robbie

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 10:01 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 7:41 am
happy tiger wrote:
willow wrote:

Just my 2 bob's worth
Simple question.

I've never seen Happy quoted in the papers - let Brasher have his say on the forum if he is such a devoted WT supporter.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 10:09 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 10:01 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 7:41 am
happy tiger wrote:
willow wrote:

Just my 2 bob's worth
Simple question.

I've never seen Happy quoted in the papers - let Brasher have his say on the forum if he is such a devoted WT supporter.
Maybe he has!

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 10:17 pm

Any changes with our coaching staff with ic leaving?