Wests Tigers Discussion
Cultured Bogan

Re: 2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 8:48 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 8:39 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 8:32 am
I can't see Des failing. That Sea Eagles side seriously underachieved. I think they'll make the 8. Arthur has another rocky start and he'll be applying for Newstart very quickly.
He has to be odds on as the first coach sacked. If they get off to a bad start, he might struggle to see the second half of the year. Good thing we got Maguire when we did, cos I think he’d had have been Arthur’s replacement.
Yeah for sure, I think everything happened at the right time for us for once. It was the perfect storm.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 8:59 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 01 Nov, 2018 11:17 pm
I honestly thought Brasher was more of a Rabbitoh than WT supporter these days. He was all over Souths in 2014 as they were being Christmas-wrapped a premiership by NRL HQ. Didnt he leave Balmain on bad terms back in the day?
Tim says he missed the deadline to respond to an offer so the club withdrew the contract and he had to look elsewhere.
Need more props.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 11:57 am

something in the Telecrap today about Packer refusing to speak to Ivan.
in Ivan we distrust

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 12:06 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 11:57 am
Can you blame him, he signed here for 4 years, primarily because of Cleary. Same goes for guys like Matulino and Mbye. All long term contracts under the belief Cleary would be the coach. Of course they would be filthy.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 12:11 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 12:06 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 11:57 am
Can you blame him, he signed here for 4 years, primarily because of Cleary. Same goes for guys like Matulino and Mbye. All long term contracts under the belief Cleary would be the coach. Of course they would be filthy.
Can add Reynolds to that list too. I'd be filthy if I were them.
No more plodders!
:sign:

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 12:33 pm

A few of Iv's boys better rip in with a bit more gusto next season. Madge is not about the feels and the process and the wives all being friends. He is a workaholic who likes to win and expects the same.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 12:54 pm

CLEARY’S EXIT HITS PLAYERS HARD

OVERLOOKED in Ivan Cleary’s walkout at the Wests Tigers is the impact it has had on some of the players Cleary coaxed into joining the club, believing in what he was preaching.

Most notably Russell Packer.

Packer refused to speak to Cleary when news first emerged that the coach was potentially leaving for Penrith and, now that the news has been confirmed, any chance to repair the relationship has passed the point of no return.

The players are most upset that they bought what Cleary was selling, in some cases packing up their families to join the club.

That Cleary notified the players by text was also received poorly.

via DT
No more plodders!
:sign:

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 1:14 pm

Players not happy , you can't blame them , what Ivan did to get players to come to our club would have been all,based around him being hear , then to slap them in the face with a text message is Guttles and weak , Madge will need to get back hear and get the boys together and have a good chat , keep in mind they have heard il be hear for the rebuild , so he will need to get on top of any issues and also let players walk if they only wanted to play under CLEARY , no,point in keeping them , but most will man up and play on. As they should be hear to play for the Wests Tigers First of all , we only want players who also have the club as part of there reason to sign on
Gee I hope we flog Penrith first game , even my Panthers Nabour said what they mastermind was pretty average and we can sit back cause the Clearys have a lot riding on them , specially the Kid

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 1:14 pm

Players not happy , you can't blame them , what Ivan did to get players to come to our club would have been all,based around him being hear , then to slap them in the face with a text message is Guttles and weak , Madge will need to get back hear and get the boys together and have a good chat , keep in mind they have heard il be hear for the rebuild , so he will need to get on top of any issues and also let players walk if they only wanted to play under CLEARY , no,point in keeping them , but most will man up and play on. As they should be hear to play for the Wests Tigers First of all , we only want players who also have the club as part of there reason to sign on
Gee I hope we flog Penrith first game , even my Panthers Nabour said what they mastermind was pretty average and we can sit back cause the Clearys have a lot riding on them , specially the Kid

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 1:29 pm

The one I feel the worst for is Matulino, he moved country to play under the bloke and got shafted one year in.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 1:34 pm

a club is bigger than one person or one man.

i'm honestly not at all angry at ivan for some reason. he did whatever he thought was best for his family, he didn't want to miss out on coaching his son i guess. he didn't break his contract in a way.

let's just move on. you're gonna work with people you like and don't like. do the best you can.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 1:39 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 1:34 pm

i'm honestly not at all angry at ivan for some reason. he did whatever he thought was best for his family, he didn't want to miss out on coaching his son i guess. he didn't break his contract in a way.

let's just move on. you're gonna work with people you like and don't like. do the best you can.
I'm way less angry now than I was when it was apparent that it wasn't going to end well. Securing Madge has gone a long way to helping that. I think we'd all be rabid if we ended up with Barrett or Parish or someone of that calibre.

Rest assured the bloke would be even more reviled if we wound up with a worse coach than him.
Madge's Maulers.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 2:20 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 1:39 pm
tig_prmz wrote:

I'm way less angry now than I was when it was apparent that it wasn't going to end well. Securing Madge has gone a long way to helping that. I think we'd all be rabid if we ended up with Barrett or Parish or someone of that calibre.

Rest assured the bloke would be even more reviled if we wound up with a worse coach than him.
We’ve come out on top!!!
We’ve got a good squad to build from(hopefully Brooks resigns), half our coach’s new salary for the first year is paid for.
A coach with credentials, and maybe the bonus of watching Penrith tank heavy and earbashing the life outta their fans for years.

Crack open the bubbly I say.🍾

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 2:26 pm

tig_prmz wrote:

The guy derailed a potential finals appearance for our team, let alone his affect on individual players. Like Packer, I’m livid.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 3:34 pm

Tigers legend wanted Michael Maguire as coach a decade ago, while he was assistant at the Melbourne Storm

MICHAEL Maguire has been on the radar of at least one Tigers heavyweight since his days at the Storm, and now that same club legend has no doubt he’s going to be great as the new head coach at Concord.

AAPNovember 2, 2018 2:08pm

STEVE Roach has revealed telling the Wests Tigers to chase an “up-and-coming” coach in Michael Maguire almost 10 years ago.

Maguire was this week unveiled as the new Wests Tigers mentor after granting Ivan Cleary a controversial release to return to Penrith.

Maguire won’t arrive in Concord until pre-season starts on November 15, one day after the New Zealand coach returns from the Kiwis’ series in England.

But he comes nearly a decade after Roach, a Balmain Tigers legend, told the merger club to chase after the then-Melbourne Storm assistant.

“I tried to get him years and years ago. I actually did some work with him at City Country and he was involved,” Roach told AAP at a NSW Blues jersey launch.

“I said to (the club), ‘You’ve got to get this bloke. He’s the next big thing.”

Tim Sheens held the clipboard at the Tigers at the time, but Roach was unsure whether the club even entertained the idea.

Maguire went on to claim his first job at Wigan in 2010, where he led them to their first Super League title in 10 years.

But his most famous achievement was helping South Sydney end a 43-year title drought in 2014, before being sacked late last year.

“I don’t know if the higher-ups even talked to him. They never listen to me anyway. Have a look at my head,” Roach said.

“He went to Wigan, won a premiership. Went to Souths, won a premiership. “And now we’ve finally got him, I know he’s going to be great. He’s hard-nosed, tough, and the Tigers back in my day were renowned for that stuff.”

Roach admitted the club’s messy split with Cleary, who had been linked with the Panthers since August, had left a bitter taste.

But he predicted success under Maguire would allow fans to quickly move on from the saga and step into a new era.

“If I agree to do something, whether it be 3-4 years or whatever, and I shake hands on it and sign a contract, I stick to what I say,” Roach said.

“I was disappointed the way it all went down.

“The players and fans are filthy, but you watch - Maguire will come in, do a good job, and everyone will quickly forget about Ivan Cleary.”

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 3:56 pm

How is a Blocker a heavyweight any other way than on the scales. The club wants nothing to do with him, or any of his old rent a quote mates.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 4:14 pm

tig_prmz wrote:

Move on! The guy is an absolute bludger.
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 5:30 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 02 Nov, 2018 3:56 pm
How is a Blocker a heavyweight any other way than on the scales. The club wants nothing to do with him, or any of his old rent a quote mates.
Went to a golf day a fortnight ago today and Tunks and Blocker were the guest speakers. Blocker had NFI about what was happening with the coaching situation at Wests and basically parroted everything that was said in the media. This was after members here who generally post good mail had already given us heads up (at least I'm pretty sure it was.)
Madge's Maulers.