POLL - Maguire 2019/Bennett 2020

Wests Tigers Discussion

The better option

Maguire 2019
48
38%
Bennett 2020
79
62%
 
Total votes: 127

User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: POLL - Maguire 2019/Bennett 2020

Post by bigsiro » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 11:48 am

I would vote Bennett 2020 but doesn't say what may happen in 2019.
If it's Cleary 2019 then I'd rather Madge 2019 for my vote.
If it's a caretaker 2019 then there is a whole different discussion...

Can't vote on this one sorry.


User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 6025
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:11 pm

Go Moltzen wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 8:36 pm
Assuming no Bennett in 2019 I would lock up Maguire ASAP.
He is at least the equal of Cleary without the baggage or B.S.
Bennett is too unpredictable to count on going forward.
Agree with statement about 2019, but I will add

Mags is more successful thank cleary.

I hope the tigers dont be stupid to pull the pin.

Cleary to get paid by Tigers in 2019 would make me crazy

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6427
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:22 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 8:34 pm
I like the fact Bennett could bring Oates and TPJ, it is just the waiting 12 months, things change, people change their minds, we could end up losing out, look what happened in the last 3 months.
I haven't voted yet, still deciding, either way Cleary can't stay here for 2019, and we need a resolution ASAP, I am putting faith in TYGA that will be very shortly.
And, what if he wins the 2019 Premiership, at the Bronco’s.
All bets may be off then!!

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6479
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:57 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:22 pm
851 wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 8:34 pm
I like the fact Bennett could bring Oates and TPJ, it is just the waiting 12 months, things change, people change their minds, we could end up losing out, look what happened in the last 3 months.
I haven't voted yet, still deciding, either way Cleary can't stay here for 2019, and we need a resolution ASAP, I am putting faith in TYGA that will be very shortly.
And, what if he wins the 2019 Premiership, at the Bronco’s.
All bets may be off then!!
Exactly mate, it is a big gamble waiting 12 months, I think our new coach has to start now
Go hard or go home

User avatar
cqtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2612
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: Rockhampton QLD

Post by cqtiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 4:23 pm

I don’t know what the ‘real’ situation is BUT of the choice out of the two options available I went with Bennett.

I would like to see what he could actually do to our team. I have said many times that I think the supercoach is a myth ... based on the playing roster he has had at the Broncos.

Even the players he had at the Dragons for 3 years was an exceptional squad.

When he went to the Knights he changed half their current roster, as you would. Coaches like Bennett only go to clubs like ours if there is plenty of cap space to get quality players. Unlike the JTs of this world who have settle for mostly nuffies for a few years.

Question: last time we changed coaches we lost our “best” players - Tedesco, Woods and Moses who were coming off contract. What does Brooks do now? Is Brooks asked his view on the next coach?

I’ve only used Brooks because most of our other ‘stars’ are still under contract.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford


coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:18 am
Location: Central Coast

Post by coivtny » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:12 pm

Interesting how the numbers are evening up a little. I went for Bennett but Madge has his supporters, I'm guessing mainly because of his availability in 2019. While I favour Bennett I wouldn't be too disappointed if it turns out to be Madge.

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:50 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 8:34 pm
I like the fact Bennett could bring Oates and TPJ, it is just the waiting 12 months, things change, people change their minds, we could end up losing out, look what happened in the last 3 months.
I haven't voted yet, still deciding, either way Cleary can't stay here for 2019, and we need a resolution ASAP, I am putting faith in TYGA that will be very shortly.


I guess if we signed Bennett for 2020 he may have time to take a few other players too.

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4224
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:02 pm

coivtny wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 5:12 pm
Interesting how the numbers are evening up a little. I went for Bennett but Madge has his supporters, I'm guessing mainly because of his availability in 2019. While I favour Bennett I wouldn't be too disappointed if it turns out to be Madge.
same thoughts here, I voted Bennett but as you say wouldn't be too disappointed if it turns out to be Madge.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3263
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:18 pm

Bennett.

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4141
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:31 pm

I’d sign Bennett now for 2020. Keep Cleary hostage until Bennett gets here with fresh recruits.
in Ivan we distrust

User avatar
TigerSkins
Member
Member
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun 10 Nov, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Canberra

Post by TigerSkins » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:43 pm

All the so called league experts in the Sydney papers have Madge coming to us after the series of international matches are over. Considering he is currently coaching NZ, he'd be getting an inside view to the club through Marsters.

As much as I'd prefer Bennett, we might end up with Madge .. so there is no need for a care taker coach for 2019 and waiting for Bennett .. unless the club really wants to gamble with what Bennett can bring to the club, as in players, in 2020.

An announcement on our clubs direction / coach for 2019 will put lot of us out of our misery, for now .. !!

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2431
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:50 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 10:52 am
I'd be happy with either but I'd rather we get some finality about our coaching situation sooner rather than later so the incoming coach can start their planning and inform the playing group of how things will move forward.

I think this is a good point. the playing group should be high on the list of priorities. Its unfortunate how things have turned out but at the end of the day it is not very professional nor very fair on our players. We cant expect big things from them unless we treat them well. Hopefully they are a little more informed than us fans.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
avocadoontoast
Member
Member
Posts: 1396
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by avocadoontoast » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:51 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:43 pm
All the so called league experts in the Sydney papers have Madge coming to us after the series of international matches are over. Considering he is currently coaching NZ, he'd be getting an inside view to the club through Marsters.

As much as I'd prefer Bennett, we might end up with Madge .. so there is no need for a care taker coach for 2019 and waiting for Bennett .. unless the club really wants to gamble with what Bennett can bring to the club, as in players, in 2020.

An announcement on our clubs direction / coach for 2019 will put lot of us out of our misery, for now .. !!
Where did you read that?

User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Post by bigsiro » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:36 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:31 pm
I’d sign Bennett now for 2020. Keep Cleary hostage until Bennett gets here with fresh recruits.
I think that any idea where Cleary stays is an awful idea.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22833
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:39 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:36 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:31 pm
I’d sign Bennett now for 2020. Keep Cleary hostage until Bennett gets here with fresh recruits.
I think that any idea where Cleary stays is an awful idea.
If it’s to keep the chair warm for Bennett, why would it matter?

TrueTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5509
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:44 pm

I will wait until I hear from the club officially before I cast a vote GNR...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29697
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:46 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Mon 15 Oct, 2018 6:43 pm
All the so called league experts in the Sydney papers have Madge coming to us after the series of international matches are over. Considering he is currently coaching NZ, he'd be getting an inside view to the club through Marsters.

As much as I'd prefer Bennett, we might end up with Madge .. so there is no need for a care taker coach for 2019 and waiting for Bennett .. unless the club really wants to gamble with what Bennett can bring to the club, as in players, in 2020.

An announcement on our clubs direction / coach for 2019 will put lot of us out of our misery, for now .. !!
Geez, I hope not...Id find that very unprofessional, and considering Esan is a rookie, he is in his debut Kiwi squad Maguire would surely not be pressing the kid for anything re: his own employment....there are other more correct & avenues for this.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22833
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 7:50 pm

The poll is pretty much on par with how I thought it would be. Bennett getting the edge. For a club like us, it’s not everyday you have the chance to sign the greatest coach of all time. It’s a no brainer.

Post Reply