Our past is killing our future

Wests Tigers Discussion
happy tiger

Our past is killing our future

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:03 pm

I can't help to think that the many things that have happened in the past 7 seasons is killing ANY chance of us EVER becoming a consistent Top 8 side

It is highly likely that as we enter season 2019 we will have our 6th coach in 8 seasons , even if Cleary stays it will be 5 and the 6th has clocked off

Still have at least 3 permanent home grounds , something that most fans DON"T want

Most of the junior talent we produce that reaches 50 NRL games leaves

Most players with an iota of talent we bring into the club rarely re-sign with the club

We let other clubs treat us like the league's wimps and kick sand in our face whenever we have something they want and they just literally take it

We have seen some off field positives , the board , memberships , sponsorship $$$'s but the biggest thing that will help us long term is results and us being thought off as a genuinely strong club

Even after this season's great start , many pundits didn't think we'd kick on and they were proven right

Personally if we don't get Bennett I see at least 3 more years of pain and suffering for fans

Ask your mates/friends/family what they think of the WT's , most like us as a club but think we are the permanent also rans

Thoughts??

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:55 pm

The past is the past, that doesnt determine our future, we can change things

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:15 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:55 pm
I totally understand what your saying Ink , but as a possible recruit who is struggling to see a future with our club , the only results you know are true and correct are the past and they have repeated a lot without any real sign of respite

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:27 pm

All can be remedied. The highest priority would be the home ground conundrum, at some stage WT have to bite the bullet and make decision and upset a significant group of fans one way or the other. Junior development requires attention but can be brought around- we also need to make calls on players without size- recall for many years WT were keeping small backrowers and wingers when all around us the clubs were going larger- now we are being monstered on almost a weekly basis. But, it is fixable- and I think there i the will and means now the backroom is fixed and we have stability that end.

I think we are on the right pathway. I'll always support WT, cant help it. Probably in my doddery years I'll still be babbling Wests Tigers or Magpies..........

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:23 pm

We are a club where players, who are stuck behind better players at their current club, can come to and get a first grade gig. That speaks volumes.

That said, change is still possible, but Bennett is a must for that change to happen, imo.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:45 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:27 pm
All can be remedied. The highest priority would be the home ground conundrum, at some stage WT have to bite the bullet and make decision and upset a significant group of fans one way or the other. Junior development requires attention but can be brought around- we also need to make calls on players without size- recall for many years WT were keeping small backrowers and wingers when all around us the clubs were going larger- now we are being monstered on almost a weekly basis. But, it is fixable- and I think there i the will and means now the backroom is fixed and we have stability that end.

I think we are on the right pathway. I'll always support WT, cant help it. Probably in my doddery years I'll still be babbling Wests Tigers or Magpies..........
No one is questioning fans loyalty , when we all chose the WT's , we probably understand what we were in for :cry: , we are all loyal to the end

Bit like the kid at the Tonga game ....born in OZ ....die for Tonga

We are all in the same boat I guess

Its the reoccurring history we just never seem to shake despite every change we have made across the board

We are the only team since 2011 not to make the semis for example , not a good advertising point to anyone , including future fans ,sponsors ,players ,coaches etc etc etc

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:45 pm

Good thread happy..the past doesn't determine your future as long as you learn from it...

We can benefit from the current situation or we can repeat the mistakes remain perennial battlers..

This is the point where Justin Pascoe earns his dough...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:55 pm

Being born on he wrong side of the tracks can make you want to work harder to achieve. On the other hand it can make you lazy and not even try. Let's hope Wests Tigers in future take the first path. I believe the club has turned the corner.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:53 pm

You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future- basically this means we need to stop worrying about previous years to make final footy
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:16 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:03 pm
I can't help to think that the many things that have happened in the past 7 seasons is killing ANY chance of us EVER becoming a consistent Top 8 side

It is highly likely that as we enter season 2019 we will have our 6th coach in 8 seasons , even if Cleary stays it will be 5 and the 6th has clocked off

Still have at least 3 permanent home grounds , something that most fans DON"T want

Most players with an iota of talent we bring into the club rarely re-sign with the club

We let other clubs treat us like the league's wimps and kick sand in our face whenever we have something they want and they just literally take it

We have seen some off field positives , the board , memberships , sponsorship $$$'s but the biggest thing that will help us long term is results and us being thought off as a genuinely strong club

Even after this season's great start , many pundits didn't think we'd kick on and they were proven right

Personally if we don't get Bennett I see at least 3 more years of pain and suffering for fans

Ask your mates/friends/family what they think of the WT's , most like us as a club but think we are the permanent also rans

Thoughts??
In this instance we haven't let Penrith kick sand in our face, we dug our heels in. That's all management can do with that.

We need to jump at the chance at playing out of WSS, that is a no-brainer. The 5 home ground scenario has gotten us nowhere. There is nothing like Leichhardt but it might have to be just a 1 game per season novelty unfortunately. Money is more of a part of modern-day footy than sentiment and history sadly. It sucks.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:23 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:16 pm
happy tiger wrote:

Thoughts??
In this instance we haven't let Penrith kick sand in our face, we dug our heels in. That's all management can do with that.

We need to jump at the chance at playing out of WSS, that is a no-brainer. The 5 home ground scenario has gotten us nowhere. There is nothing like Leichhardt but it might have to be just a 1 game per season novelty unfortunately. Money is more of a part of modern-day footy than sentiment and history sadly. It sucks.
We will see in regards to Cleary

We talked tough , but the intended person wasn't in earshot .........

We have to walk the walk first , when I see Pascoe warning Gould and telling him to step out the back , I'll pay attention then

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:41 pm

Home grounds, facilities and coaches I guess all play a part but the biggest thing we lack is success on the paddock. The problem it becomes a classic case of catch 22, without success it becomes very very difficult to become successful.

We are not the only club, take Parra they have thrown a truck load more cash at trying to be a force again, they have one home ground and great facilities but are still at the bottom of the heap.

The elite players and the elite juniors will take less to go to the so called glamour clubs. In other words the non glamour clubs are forced to play massive overs.

At lot of it is perception, but once your put into a category it’s very hard to change what people are thinking. Anyway it’s not impossible and with people like Pascoe and Go running the show you would think we are more chance than some other clubs of making the next step

vlad

Post by vlad » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:22 pm

I was watching a movie the other day & I think I have the solution to this ...

We get a Delorean & fit it with a flux capacitor ...

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:28 pm

In some ways we have learnt from the past and have put things in place that have greatly improved us as a club. The big letdown is the home ground. I don't care where it is but i want us to be playing all our home games at one ground. The chances of onfield success are greatly diminished when you have 5 home grounds.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:42 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:28 pm
In some ways we have learnt from the past and have put things in place that have greatly improved us as a club. The big letdown is the home ground. I don't care where it is but i want us to be playing all our home games at one ground. The chances of onfield success are greatly diminished when you have 5 home grounds.
WSS it is....

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:50 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:15 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 2:55 pm
I totally understand what your saying Ink , but as a possible recruit who is struggling to see a future with our club , the only results you know are true and correct are the past and they have repeated a lot without any real sign of respite

This is the problem,living in the past is the end of the line....what happened in the past is history....what we do in the present can secure our future..we need a strong and stabile club from now,arguing coaches,players etc etc is garbage thoughts...what admin and board approve is what can make us a strong determined force for the future..it really is in their hands....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 11:26 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:23 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Thoughts??

We have to walk the walk first , when I see Pascoe warning Gould and telling him to step out the back , I'll pay attention then
Huh? Pascoe warning Gould about what? Technically Gould hasn't broken any rules, morally he has shown himself to be a dirtbag.
Pascoe threaten Gould with physical violence?.....yeah that wouldn't be frowned upon at all and possibly attract legal action :roll:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 11:38 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 11:26 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 9:23 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Thoughts??

Huh? Pascoe warning Gould about what? Technically Gould hasn't broken any rules, morally he has shown himself to be a dirtbag.
Pascoe threaten Gould with physical violence?.....yeah that wouldn't be frowned upon at all and possibly attract legal action :roll:
You've missed my point , until I see Cleary holding a clipboard Day 1 of pre season training we haven't stood our ground on what Pascoe and Go initially said about IC being here until 2021