Wests Tigers Discussion
Harvey

Re: Ivan Cleary opens up on Penrith return and controversial Tigers exit

Post by Harvey » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 8:56 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 6:16 am
“The decision was mutual”

Hahahahahaha
Yeah, in the same way it would be if your Mrs decided to move into prostitution and you decided to move on.

the third

Post by the third » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 9:19 am

The panthers PR team is in full swing.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 10:52 am

the third wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 9:19 am
The panthers PR team is in full swing.
I imagine they will spend a fair bit of the off season spinning public opinion. Cleary will have to show his face when the season starts.
"Quality Stupidity"

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:05 am

Cleary claims in all seriousness that he intended to see out his contract. This is nonsense!

Penrith and Cleary both knew that when Ivan told the Tigers he would sign with Penrith from 2021 that he had placed us in an impossible position.

The Tigers would be forced to release him. He knew that. So, all his talk of his intentions is garbage. He is a liar. He has gamed us and he has shredded his reputation.

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:09 am

supercoach wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 8:03 am
Amazing How Ivan can sit down and give a long interview and give his spin on Clearygate, yet he could only give us a 30 second prepared statement.
This is what irks me the most. Think most of us are pretty much over it(him) and now he wants to give his side of the story.
While I do not wish to a see a retaliatory article from Pascoe I wouldn't be opposed to read something in response from a player. But that's clearly cos I love the drama. IDK this just looks like a rather sad attempt to save face.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:19 am

fibrodreaming wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:05 am
Cleary claims in all seriousness that he intended to see out his contract. This is nonsense!

Penrith and Cleary both knew that when Ivan told the Tigers he would sign with Penrith from 2021 that he had placed us in an impossible position.

The Tigers would be forced to release him. He knew that. So, all his talk of his intentions is garbage. He is a liar. He has gamed us and he has shredded his reputation.
I have no further interest in him. No amount of ratinalisation on his part will wipe clean the whiff that eminates from him. Enjoy the love ins with Gus.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:12 pm

Ivan stepped up from buses to Uber

We will be waiting in Brisbane for you Ivan .....be afraid ............be very afraid ......the bus is coming

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:20 pm

The mature thing to do is just move on ........ but I can’t! I really think we need to make banners etc for the game at Penrith. Cleary really deserves to know what we think of him. Booing him when they call his name will not be enough.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:33 pm

Not sure what banners or giving him a serve does. Is it really going to affect him? Nup. He’s sitting pretty for the next 5 years, making millions. His son too. The last thing he cares about is a couple banners in the crowd.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:34 pm

He’ll wipe the tears your banners cause with hundred dollar bills.

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm

Like many of you have stated already .. Penrith knew, Gould knew and Ivan knew as soon as he announced to the Tigers that he had signed a contract with Penrith for 2012 that the Tigers would release him .. it was the risk Penrith, Gould and Cleary were prepared to take, but always new it would work out their favour.

Ivan SHOULD be thanking us, not trashing us .. !! He knew all along that we would have to find a replacement coach before we could release him .. and in the long run we found a coach .. and Ivan was then free to go as he, Penrith and Gould knew would happen.

So instead of the trash talk Ivan .. be thankful that we, the Tigers, allowed you to go as you wished and wanted to

End of story .. just watch out the that the new improved mighty Tigers bus doesn't run you over next season .. !!
Last edited by TigerSkins on Sun 11 Nov, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:48 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 10 Nov, 2018 10:13 pm
i feel like im sticking up for cleary too much but i honestly feel that he did what he thought was best. he had a contract here for 2 years he wanted to honour but an extra 3 years we couldn't offer but someone else could so he took that. right now, his son and himself have got a massive 5 year contract.

selfish, but that's just how this world is. we are and we wouldn't have been in a worse situation coz of this.
If you think he had any intention of honouring his contract after Penrith came knocking then you've been fooled.
How do you know we couldn't/didn't offer him an extension?

Ivan wanted to coach his son, that's it. Once that opportunity presented itself at Penrith, coaching Nathan became more important to him than coaching us. Even with two years left on his contract. He knew agreeing to coach Penrith in 2021 would force our hand. Just look at the Bennett situation right now.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:50 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 8:03 am
Amazing How Ivan can sit down and give a long interview and give his spin on Clearygate, yet he could only give us a 30 second prepared statement.

The guy is a total low life, but time to look forward and fingers crossed karma will strike
And he also "didn't have time" to front the players in person and tell them his decision.

Post by 851 » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 1:32 pm

Sabre wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:48 pm
tig_prmz wrote:
i feel like im sticking up for cleary too much but i honestly feel that he did what he thought was best. he had a contract here for 2 years he wanted to honour but an extra 3 years we couldn't offer but someone else could so he took that. right now, his son and himself have got a massive 5 year contract.

selfish, but that's just how this world is. we are and we wouldn't have been in a worse situation coz of this.
If you think he had any intention of honouring his contract after Penrith came knocking then you've been fooled.

Ivan wanted to coach his son, that's it. Once that opportunity presented itself at Penrith, coaching Nathan became more important to him than coaching us. Even with two years left on his contract. He knew agreeing to coach Penrith in 2021 would force our hand. Just look at the Bennett situation right now.
In one of the articles Cleary actually said, the issue was he wouldn't agree to an extension past his existing contract.
Gus, penrith and Cleary new what they were doing all along, they fooled quite a few, but not everyone buys the spin
Go hard or go home

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 1:35 pm

can't see phil gould being happy having cleary as coach for the next five years.you wouldn't want to be on a life raft with phil gould.pressure will also be on Nathan cleary to continue to lead the blues state of origin team.
cant see it being all rosey for both clearys.
anyway,upwards and onwards for wests tigers

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 1:35 pm

Who or what are the real culprits Gould, Cleary, foresaken honour which was promised to players and fans or just plain greed. Whatever, Ivan you became a terrible example of a coach.

TigerTone

Post by TigerTone » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 1:47 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 8:56 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 6:16 am
“The decision was mutual”

Hahahahahaha
Yeah, in the same way it would be if your Mrs decided to move into prostitution and you decided to move on.
Harvey, i cant stop laughing mate. That was a brilliant call.
:roll

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 2:33 pm

Sabre wrote:
Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:48 pm
tig_prmz wrote:

to me it looks like this- ivan had a chance to secure 3 extra years- that's 5 years, probably over $2m- who's gonna say no to that? on top of that, you add in that he knows the entire team there, his son is there and he lives around there. i honestly dont blame him for taking the deal. as for the 2 years that he had agreed with us, we had more of an issue with that than ivan so we looked elsewhere.

these things happen. people are making him out to be some sort of a villain. he's put our club back on the map in a year. we are as stable as we've been in years and a large part of that is owing to ivan. the team is close with each other.

im sure ivan is gonna have regrets of leaving another job unfinished but that's life. move on.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble