Michael Maguire says Tigers are on the lookout to fill two more squad positions

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 10:57 am

New Tigers’ coach Michael Maguire admits the club are on the lookout for two more signings to round out their squad for the 2019 season.

AAPNovember 13, 2018 10:14am

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire has confirmed he is on the hunt for new recruits to beef-up his squad for the 2019 NRL season.

The Tigers have signed Roosters duo Ryan Matterson and Paul Momirovski but have had five players depart the club, leaving them with just 28 players on their top 30 NRL roster.

“Obviously when you’ve got spaces available you’re always going to keep your eye out for what might be out there,” he told AAP.

“I’ll assess the group and jump into the pre-season. I’m really looking forward to getting back in. I’ve had my break, I’m over my break and I can’t wait to get back into coaching.

“To do it week-to-week is something I love doing.”

The Tigers finished ninth last year and have not made the semi-finals since 2011.

Maguire, who won a premiership with South Sydney in 2014, admits he is unsure yet how difficult it will be to turn the Sydney club back into contenders.

“It’s hard to say how big a challenge it is,” he said.

“I’ll work that out as we go through the pre-season, but for me it’s about starting, getting to know the players and the staff.”

The Tigers have gone through five head coaches since the departure of Tim Sheens in 2012, but Maguire is adamant he is in for the long haul.

“I thought that’s what we’re meant to do,” said the 44-year-old, who takes over from Penrith-bound Ivan Cleary.

“I want to build that club and make it very strong. To be able to do that over a long, long period of time is something that I always aspire to do.”

The Tigers have Josh Reynolds, Luke Brooks and Benji Marshall competing for a spot in the halves and Robbie Farah and Jacob Liddle duking it out for the starting hooking position.

Maguire revealed he has not made any decisions yet on who his starting spine will be for the 2019 campaign.

“I’ll just go back there, sit down with them and have a talk on how we want to build our game first,” he said.

“I have spoken to all of them and they’re very selfless people - they just all want to have that club succeed. That’s the biggest thing that I got out of the conversation.”

Michael Maguire has opened the door for potential Tigers’ signings.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:23 pm

willow wrote:
Tue 13 Nov, 2018 10:57 am

New Tigers’ coach Michael Maguire admits the club are on the lookout for two more signings to round out their squad for the 2019 season.

AAPNovember 13, 2018 10:14am

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire has confirmed he is on the hunt for new recruits to beef-up his squad for the 2019 NRL season.

The Tigers have signed Roosters duo Ryan Matterson and Paul Momirovski but have had five players depart the club, leaving them with just 28 players on their top 30 NRL roster.

“Obviously when you’ve got spaces available you’re always going to keep your eye out for what might be out there,” he told AAP.

“I’ll assess the group and jump into the pre-season. I’m really looking forward to getting back in. I’ve had my break, I’m over my break and I can’t wait to get back into coaching.

“To do it week-to-week is something I love doing.”

The Tigers finished ninth last year and have not made the semi-finals since 2011.

Maguire, who won a premiership with South Sydney in 2014, admits he is unsure yet how difficult it will be to turn the Sydney club back into contenders.

“It’s hard to say how big a challenge it is,” he said.

“I’ll work that out as we go through the pre-season, but for me it’s about starting, getting to know the players and the staff.”

The Tigers have gone through five head coaches since the departure of Tim Sheens in 2012, but Maguire is adamant he is in for the long haul.

“I thought that’s what we’re meant to do,” said the 44-year-old, who takes over from Penrith-bound Ivan Cleary.

“I want to build that club and make it very strong. To be able to do that over a long, long period of time is something that I always aspire to do.”

The Tigers have Josh Reynolds, Luke Brooks and Benji Marshall competing for a spot in the halves and Robbie Farah and Jacob Liddle duking it out for the starting hooking position.

Maguire revealed he has not made any decisions yet on who his starting spine will be for the 2019 campaign.

“I’ll just go back there, sit down with them and have a talk on how we want to build our game first,” he said.

“I have spoken to all of them and they’re very selfless people - they just all want to have that club succeed. That’s the biggest thing that I got out of the conversation.”

Michael Maguire has opened the door for potential Tigers’ signings.
lets see them signings then Madge
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 12:48 pm

Bust out the signings, Madge.
No more plodders!
:sign:

matchball

Post by matchball » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 9:18 pm

Go get the Burgess twins Madge.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 7:52 am

Hopefully he is already assessing the squad.

From Madge....”Obviously when you’ve got spaces available you’re always going to keep your eye out for what might be out there,” he told AAP.

“I’ll assess the group and jump into the pre-season. I’m really looking forward to getting back in. I’ve had my break, I’m over my break and I can’t wait to get back into coaching.”
in Ivan we distrust

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 9:26 pm

Could do with George. He's devastating on his day. Has poor hands at times though.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tigerstruck

Post by Tigerstruck » Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:13 pm

"The Tigers have gone through five head coaches since the departure of Tim Sheens in 2012, but Maguire is adamant he is in for the long haul.

It's really good to hear Madge saying stuff like that. Hopefully he is in it for the long haul, because I reckon success will come if he does stay and builds up the club.

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 7:22 am

Christmas list

Stability
New forwards
Stability

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 7:57 am

Mighty Tiger wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 7:22 am
Christmas list

Stability
New forwards
Stability
A fast back or two will help with stability ladder wise.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:08 am

There's just not that much to choose from. Cleary was faced with the same dilemma. It's all well and good to say go and buy, but top current players are all locked up. We need our coach to nurture and bring out the best in what we have so that others want to come to us.

Roar Power

Post by Roar Power » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:27 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:08 am
There's just not that much to choose from. Cleary was faced with the same dilemma. It's all well and good to say go and buy, but top current players are all locked up. We need our coach to nurture and bring out the best in what we have so that others want to come to us.
I really dont see it that way. Look at the Klemmer situation? Anyone is for sale, contracts mean squat. I think we are however, becoming more appealling as a club to prospective players. There is a stable group of administrators, proven coach, large stable of juniors and an impending CoE. Future bodes well.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:30 am

Yeah for the right money, no one is ever 100% locked down.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:48 am

Klemmer and the Newcastle situation seems a whole lot different to ours. They seem stable, with a host of up and comers and proven players as well now. We aren't there yet. And Im pretty sure Woods would have royally put the boot into us for all sorts of reasons. Whilst I get your point, finding players that want to break their contract to move on is even harder than finding those off contract or planning ahead for a move. Its a rare thing although seemingly becoming more common. Would be great if we did come out of the shadows to pinch Klemmer from the knights at the death though.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 9:46 am

Mighty Tiger wrote:
Christmas list

Stability
New forwards
Stability
Can I add "Never Give Up attitude"

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 9:56 am

It's amazing that year after year there's a lot of player movement but I always hear that no one's available for us to sign.
We're so unlucky.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:11 am

Spartan117 wrote:
Thu 15 Nov, 2018 9:46 am
Mighty Tiger wrote:
Christmas list

Stability
New forwards
Stability
Can I add "Never Give Up attitude"
To be fair I think we had that last year. We were in about 90% of our games last year. Only got flogged once or twice.

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:12 am

Love everything Madge has said about the club and some of our players. But I especially like what he's had to say about his coaching aspirations for us.

Can see some are getting impatient about signings yet he's not even back in the country - I think- and these things take time anyway.
I also get the frustration with not being able to get any marquee players. Saw a rumour on one of those Facebook pages that Addin Fonua-Blake, Napa and a Burgess twin are in talks with the doggies......which annoyed me a little.
But in saying that IDRC who other teams sign. As long as any player we land is an upgrade on who they're replacing, I'm happy.